Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

What goes around, comes around.

Some entertaining reading from the stone(d) age:
http://www.walvisions.com/ArchivePages/walvisions__kloss_novabeam_1_1A_2_reviews.htm

I had an Advent 1000A, and remember the click of changing the tuner dial was reflected in the parabolic effect of the screen, making it almost as loud as the program, which was also bounced off the screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

ATTN: SONY

Nobody wants curved screens, especially in an LCD display.

SIGNED: EVERYONE

And if its not full array local dimming backlit, the 4K is WASTED on it. Anyone know if it is?
post #33 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

And if its not full array local dimming backlit, the 4K is WASTED on it. Anyone know if it is?

The curved screen unit is not a 4K TV, it is 1080p like the curved OLEDs. It is edge-lit.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #34 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I saw the Samsung OLED with the curved screeen at BB and it's quite beautiful, and the picture was amazing. There was some motion blur on fast scenes and light reflection was a bit annoying from the sides of the screen, but PQ blew me away.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned, the TV runs cool. I could not detect any heat coming from the screen, or behind the screen. Wow!
post #35 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I saw the Samsung OLED with the curved screeen at BB and it's quite beautiful, and the picture was amazing. There was some motion blur on fast scenes and light reflection was a bit annoying from the sides of the screen, but PQ blew me away.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned, the TV runs cool. I could not detect any heat coming from the screen, or behind the screen. Wow!

Yea my HX850 runs cool as well. From the screen and from the back. Its like it uses no energy at all.
post #36 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Aren't you the guy who claims to be able to easily detect the difference between audio/HDMI cables? smile.gifLCD tech with its confined viewing angles is the last type of set that should be built curved.

Your point being? I mean really rolleyes.gif No hiding behind smiley faces to make snide remarks , this is about a curved display so lets try and stay on topic , although I must admit at being flattered you remember me biggrin.gif
post #37 of 57 Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
I just peeked in on that recent thread where you were making questionable subjective claims, and it rubbed me the wrong way on a supposed science forum. Placebo effect and bias are one thing, level-matched double blind listening is quite another. Somehow I'm not surprised that you'd like a curved LCD, despite the limitations of the tech when it comes to viewing angles and the very limited spot you'd need to be sitting to not have image distortion.
post #38 of 57 Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 559
there's nothing wrong(and some benefit to) a curved screen as long as it's not over done. as long as the viewers sit inside the focal point, it will help and not hurt. the edges of the screen will be slightly more direct, which reduces the effect of bad LCD viewing angles, and will allow a slightly wider viewing angle as it 'wraps' around you. ideally the screen should be curved vertically too to avoid distortion

but the thing is, that basically means the curve needs to be so small on a tv sized screen that's it's pretty much pointless. to me, it's along the lines of saying if the tv has a thinner bezel you'll have a larger screen. I mean, I guess, technically, but i'd much rather they address the glaring issues with the technology and improve on something that REALLY matters for picture quality
mo949 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #39 of 57 Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

I just peeked in on that recent thread where you were making questionable subjective claims, and it rubbed me the wrong way on a supposed science forum. Placebo effect and bias are one thing, level-matched double blind listening is quite another. Somehow I'm not surprised that you'd like a curved LCD, despite the limitations of the tech when it comes to viewing angles and the very limited spot you'd need to be sitting to not have image distortion.

I'd suggest you apply a hydrocortisone cream to that irritation, "Its a forum" wink.gif and do try to stay on the topic at hand rolleyes.gif and not derail this thread , I keep my pm open if you wish to fill my inbox with your concerns regarding my post. This open attack or attempt to make me seem somehow unqualified to express an opinion is a little immature and will not change my views one way or the other.

have a nice day vinnie97 smile.gif
imagic likes this.
post #40 of 57 Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 AM

Liked: 15
I can believe the push for the curved LCD sets is an attempt to work out any "bugs" that future curved OLED sets may encounter... and this may happen with plasma sets in the near future too!

Can't afford the latest/greatest OLED? Not to worry, the manufacturers will give you something they will profess to be almost as good. Its all about capturing market share down the road.
post #41 of 57 Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The one thing I'm really taking away from this is that 4K has come down dramatically in price in just a few months. It will likely be just as affordable as a mid-range plasma in 2 years imo. The content will come, the push is too hard for it.

post #42 of 57 Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Surprised that there was no mention of the follow up to the Sony VW-1000ES that is coming soon, in this article.

Reportedly, it's going to be around $10,000. Considering the VW-1000ES was (is) $25k, that's a pretty significant deal. There are 1080p JVCs that cost that much.

I look forward to owning a 4K projector in a few years time.

post #43 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Their first face-plant was to have a closed UHD media player in the first place. Dummies. No wonder Sony is hurting financially.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #44 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Their first face-plant was to have a closed UHD media player in the first place. Dummies. No wonder Sony is hurting financially.

I'd say the opposite is true; by offering a proprietary server, Sony is in the enviable position in that it now offers 70 UHD movies via online delivery, while the competition offers nothing. If you want a TV and content, as of right now, you have to buy all Sony gear—not just the server. That's good business, and Sony leads the competition in terms of pricing and having UHD TVs on display in stores.

It's a foregone conclusion that the Playstation 4 will offer UHD movies, allowing Sony to offer an open UHD movie-watching solution that is quite affordable and versatile, while the competition still offers nothing.

Sony is in the midst of a turnaround, financially the days of bleeding money are over. Stock price has doubled since the start of the year, lots of new product in the pipeline.

post #45 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Usually, the reaction is just the opposite: I have to buy the Sony UHD in order to use the UHD media player?????? What if I want a UHD model from Samsung or Panasonic???? WTF???!!!! I don't think people like to be tied to one brand like that.

It's probably a closed system because there is no industry wide encryption protocol for UHD yet. And will the PS4 really be any different than their UHD media player?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #46 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Usually, the reaction is just the opposite: I have to buy the Sony UHD in order to use the UHD media player?????? What if I want a UHD model from Samsung or Panasonic???? WTF???!!!! I don't think people like to be tied to one brand like that.

It's probably a closed system because there is no industry wide encryption protocol for UHD yet. And will the PS4 really be any different than their UHD media player?

Yes, the PS4 is designed to work with most TVs, whether it be HD or UHD. Sony is one of those premium brands where buyers don't mind getting a system, instead of playing mix-and-match. In a sense, it preceded Apple in having that cachet, and famously lost it when the iPod came out.

Then again, Sony is one of the rare companies that makes the complete package - speakers, displays, AVRs, players and streaming devices, video game consoles, tablets, computers. And they have the complete range available in the full range from cheap to elite. With other brands, ultimately one is forced to mix-and-match.

post #47 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 17
Here is my opinion on curved screens:

They don't make much sense in 55-65" sizes. You need to be sitting close to the screen (4-6 feet) to get the Imax affect they are going for. You need about a 85" or larger.
post #48 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriverdoug View Post

Here is my opinion on curved screens:

They don't make much sense in 55-65" sizes. You need to be sitting close to the screen (4-6 feet) to get the Imax affect they are going for. You need about a 85" or larger.

You are correct, the larger the screen, the more sense the curve makes. The audience needs to be sitting well within the screen boundaries for it to work well.

post #49 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 10
The industry needs to come up with some reason for people to buy new sets.

That's a matter of survival for them.

OLED is not it.

Curved screens? Sure, why not.

I have more interest in a 65" curved screen at five grand that I can pay four for than a 55" fifteen grand OLED.
post #50 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM

The dishonest comparisons are a little tiring. The 55" OLED can be had for 9 grand (and it's curved). If you want to sit about 5-6 feet out, I suppose that 65" LCD-LED screen might be worth it, but given the notorious viewing angle deficiency inherit to the technology, you couldn't give me such a set (okay, you could, but I would promptly hock it to an LCD zombie and make a killing wink.gif).
post #51 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The dishonest comparisons are a little tiring. The 55" OLED can be had for 9 grand (and it's curved).

Where? I was unaware this was on the market YET.
post #52 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Curved screens would be awesome in a corner configuration

I have an L shaped room that is essentially three large squares forming an L. The Home theater is the middle square, so I have open space with the bar behind me and another space with a pool table to the left. I would love to place a curved screen in the corner, so the room is more symmetrical, and everyone has just as good of a view. I have considered just angling the screen at a 45degree angle, but at 120" that costs me a ridiculous amount of real estate. (It still would with a curved screen, but hopefully you get the point.)

And yes, it would look funny if you sat all the way along the side, but it would be much more watchable than a screen at 170 degress.
post #53 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls35a View Post

Where? I was unaware this was on the market YET.
Well, "on the market" has to be used somewhat loosely in this case, but should you decide to put in an order, they can get one to you in about a month: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-KN55S9C-Curved-Panel-Smart/dp/B00E5GIN36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377149638&sr=8-1&keywords=KN55S9C (Best Buy also has this item available for ordering).
post #54 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Samsung is already offering $1000 off the list. Why not just be honest about pricing?

And its got the "official" strike-through in the $9999

post #55 of 57 Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Maybe there's a lack of clarification in the case of Amazon. Best Buy isn't mentioning the above list price either: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/55%22+Class+%2854-5/8%22+Diag.%29+-+OLED+-+1080p+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/1626142.p?id=1219058089120&skuId=1626142&st=KN55S9C&cp=1&lp=1

Samsung is being as dishonest as anyone, as they themselves announced the cut to $9000: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-announces-55-inch-curved-oled-shocks-everyone-with-9000-price-tag/

Frankly, I think it's all just semantics because no one is charging $10k for it.
post #56 of 57 Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Old topic and not "news" anymore, but the price of the 65" curved LCD mentioned in the title (Sony S990a) dropped to under $3k.

Nobody bought one - it's not sold in Best Buy or any other store anywhere around me, there's only one user review on Amazon, and I believe in the official S990a AVS thread only one poster claims to own one. Maybe the same person that posted on Amazon? redface.gif

Now only $500 over the lower W850a model, the slight curve of the S990a has my attention at this price. I just wish there were more owners to share info on this model.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #57 of 57 Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can now buy the S990A for $2K from an authorized Sony online dealer, about the same price as the W850A. That made my decision easy; my S990 should be here in a couple days. Once I have a chance play I'll be posting what I think at the official S990 thread. At $2K they are now starting to sell.
DaverJ likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page