Sony Unveils Latest UHD/4K Offerings, Curved 65" LCD HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Sony significantly expanded its 4K and UHD ecosystem with a series of new products the company introduced at a press event held in New York City. The list included two new UHDTVs, a new 4K camcorder, and the launch of the "Video Unlimited 4K" website. In addition to all the 4K news, Sony showed that a curved screen is not exclusive to OLED, by introducing a curved 65" 1080p edge-lit LED LCD—the KDL-S990A.

CNET's David Katzmaier (in blue) checks out the new curved LCD from Sony
photo ©2013 by Mark Henninger

Sony Electronics President Phil Molyneux took the stage in the Jazz room at the Time Warner Center in Manhattan. Behind him, there was a TV—hidden underneath a shroud. There was no drama to the show, just a relaxed and straight-forward presentation. Within minutes Molyneux revealed the new Sony XBR-65X850A UHDTV, which forgoes fancy front-facing speakers for a slim profile and a lower price point.

I was fairly certain that a new TV was hidden beneath the shroud

The new 65-incher sells for $5499, and the smaller 55-inch XBR-55X850A costs $3499. Both new UHDTVs are forward compatible with the recently announced HDMI 2.0 standard. In a dig against rival Samsung, Sony's President pointed out that all of Sony's UHDTVs have the ability to update to HDMI 2.0 via firmware, negating the need for an external box that requires replacement—a solution that Samsung had touted as a way of future-proofing its UHD offerings.

Sony's new UHDTV offerings forgo front-facing speakers in order to hit a lower price point

Sony's strategy for maintaining its leadership in 4K and UHD relies on content creation as well as delivery. The new Video Unlimited 4K website makes digital download of UHD content a reality, at least for owners of Sony-branded UHDTVs. For now, the service requires the use of a FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD Media Player.

Sony's new Video Unlimited 4K download service

The service debuted with over 70 movies from several studios, as well as AMC's hit series Breaking Bad in UHD. Sony declared its intention to increase the UHD catalog to over 100 movies before 2013 ends. Rentals cost $7.99 for a 24-hour period. Purchasing a movie costs $29.99 and also includes a UltraViolet copy of the content, for HD or SD playback on other devices.

Sony fulfilled a promise to launch Video Unlimited 4K before the end of summer

When it comes to content creation, Hollywood already invested in 4K. Theaters with 4K projectors playing 4K movies are finally becoming mainstream. However, the tools for creating 4K content have thus far cost too much for independent filmmakers to afford. The new Handycam FDR-AX1 4K Camcorder directly addresses this issue, dropping the cost of entry for a 4K video camera to $4499. This is definitely a disruptive price point for a product like this.

$4499 gets you a UHD-capable camcorder with tons of features

During the camcorder demo, Phil Molyneaux noted that the FDR-AX1 was delivering full 60p UHD video to the XBR-65X850A through a HDMI 1.4 connection, a feat that was previously regarded as impossible. Molineux declined to mention how this was achieved. The effect of the increased frame rate and resolution were clearly visible in the sample footage.

Footage recorded in full 2160p UHD at 60 fps was played back via HDMI 1.4

Not all of the TV-related news involved UHD. Sony brought a novel TV to the event, a 65" curved-screen edge-lit LED LCD—the KDL-65S990A. The curve itself was not as pronounced as what I saw on Samsung's 55" OLED—the new Sony is a better match for a typical living room setup than the curved 55" OLEDs from Samsung and LG. Furthermore, the 65S990A negates the notion that a curved screen is a differentiating feature for OLED. While acknowledging that OLED features superior black levels, screen uniformity and motion resolution, LCD allows for a larger curved screen that costs half as much.

Not every new TV at the show was a UHD model, Sony latest edge-lit LCD HDTV sports a curve

Sony put on a good presentation; I left convinced that 4K UHD is not just here to stay; it is about to explode in terms of how much content is out there. For now, Sony's ecosystem is relatively closed—4K downloads require the FMP-X1 media player, which is only compatible with Sony's own UHD televisions.

Progress in the 4K UHD segment is coming quickly, with major manufacturers—and some lesser-known brands—introducing new models at a steady pace. Sony's latest offerings show the company is taking its early lead in the segment seriously, and is pushing the state-of-the-art forward by developing an entire ecosystem for ultra-high definition content creation and consumption.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
Follow AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 224
ATTN: SONY

Nobody wants curved screens, especially in an LCD display.

SIGNED: EVERYONE
Five28, robnix, Djoel and 6 others like this.
post #3 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
It's a shame that Sony is TBTF. Their attempt to sabotage a promising new display tech is very Toshiba-like of them.
Five28 likes this.
post #4 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Curved seems to be the new Black, everyone is doing it. Projection wise, I even see people using a curved 16:9 projection system without a a-lens. IMAX screens are slightly curved and according to them, it provides for a more immerse experience. I can see where the trend is coming from, but for a TV? I don't know...confused.gif

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #5 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If the display curved around the entire room, sure, bring on the curves. For 65" screens, though, I have a difficult time seeing the benefit. Perhaps to experience it in person is a different story, but I'm not sold on this.
post #6 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Everyone +1
TimGoodwin likes this.
post #7 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 578
They'll learn it the hard way as usual. Doh!
post #8 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

During the camcorder demo, Phil Molyneaux noted that the FDR-AX1 was delivering full 60p UHD video to the XBR-65X850A through a HDMI 1.4 connection, a feat that was regarded as impossible. Molineux declined to mention how this was achieved. The effect of the increased frame rate and resolution were clearly visible in the sample footage.

Footage recorded in full 2160p UHD at 60 fps was played back via HDMI 1.4
So this raises some questions. Would some HDMI 1.4b interfaces or cables be capable of passing 2160p UHD at 60 fps? Probably if going by this demo. cool.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #9 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Sorry to go against the grain but keep the curved screens coming I for 1 love it, so that would be almost everyone except 1 tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #10 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

So this raises some questions. Would some HDMI 1.4b interfaces or cables be capable of passing 2160p UHD at 60 fps? Probably if going by this demo. cool.gif

In reading the HDMI 2.0 FAQ, it will be able to as long its a high-speed cable.

Source: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#136
post #11 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Sorry to go against the grain but keep the curved screens coming I for 1 love it, so that would be almost everyone except 1 tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Aren't you the guy who claims to be able to easily detect the difference between audio/HDMI cables? smile.gif

LCD tech with its confined viewing angles is the last type of set that should be built curved.
Five28 likes this.
post #12 of 57 Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM

Liked: 10
My parents had a curved screen tv when I was a kid. It also had the green red and blue floods shooting onto a mirror that reflected onto that curved screen just below it. Who would have thought.
post #13 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Forging signatures? Remove me from the list as well.

I'd love to have a curved screen and would pay a premium. To Sony, please do 2.35 curved screens so I can replace my projector.
post #14 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Aren't you the guy who claims to be able to easily detect the difference between audio/HDMI cables? smile.gif

LCD tech with its confined viewing angles is the last type of set that should be built curved.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-headquarters-tour
post #15 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisko213 View Post

My parents had a curved screen tv when I was a kid. It also had the green red and blue floods shooting onto a mirror that reflected onto that curved screen just below it. Who would have thought.

What goes around, comes around.

Some entertaining reading from the stone(d) age:
http://www.walvisions.com/ArchivePages/walvisions__kloss_novabeam_1_1A_2_reviews.htm
post #16 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Is there a downside to a curved screen?

If it costs the same and there's no downside, then what's wrong with having a curved screen?
post #17 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
So, Sony is able to deliver 4K content on their 4k TVs at a reasonable price. Plus, they have a 4K camcorder that isn't ridiculously expensive.

Remind me again why 4K is going to fail?

Why is OLED going to be the future when you can get a 55" 1080p for $15,000?
post #18 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

If it costs the same and there's no downside, then what's wrong with having a curved screen?

Nothing, people just think they sound intelligent or great debaters by criticizing anything they don't own or that isn't a plain vanilla 16:9 LED or simply can't afford i.e. curved screens, scope, 3D, projectors, 4k etc.
DaverJ likes this.
post #19 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
There's nothing wrong with a curved screen?

Hmmmm, sounds like someone should read up on the obvious and not so obvious drawbacks...especially when there's say, more than one human viewing the screen.

Crazy how they chased after a truly flat panel for decades, heh?

James
vinnie97 likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #20 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
And the Sony momentum just keeps getting bigger and bigger with 4K. But a curved screen with LED? Don't know about that one or why Sony would do that but it is what it is I guess.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #21 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

—Straight lines are rendered as curves
—For the screen's curve to work properly, the viewer has to sit at a specific distance
—The curve is only a benefit if the viewer is centered and sitting at the right distance
—The first-generation of curved OLED screens cannot be wall mounted
—Curved screens cost more per inch and offer little tangible benefit, even when used properly
—With a 55" screen size, only one person can even fit in the curved screen "sweet spot"

That said, Sony's screen is larger than the curved OLEDs and the curve is less pronounced. It's more suitable for a living room and couch arrangement than a curved 55" OLED.
vinnie97 and Stuntman_Mike like this.

post #22 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:

So, Sony is able to deliver 4K content on their 4k TVs at a reasonable price. Plus, they have a 4K camcorder that isn't ridiculously expensive.

Why did you select the higher (less competitively) priced model to make your point? tongue.gif
post #23 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Quote:

Why did you select the higher (less competitively priced) model to make your point? tongue.gif

+1

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #24 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Why did you select the higher (less competitively priced) model to make your point? tongue.gif

I don't consider a $9000 55" HDTV to be competitive, forget about $15,000. The way things are going, OLED is becoming the Segway of TVs. It is quite possible that in a few years everyone will have heard of OLED, most people will have seen a large-screen OLED TV in person—but almost nobody will own one.

Samsung's "competitive" pricing is all about tweaking LG in what amounts to a PR war, which is something Samsung can afford to do. Samsung had better hope Jay-Z decides he likes curved OLED.

post #25 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 AM

What is "competitive" exists on a continuum. Do I really have to spell it out that I was making the comparison with the only other OLED TV one can buy right now? It's disingenuous to proclaim an expensive technology will never become ubiquitous because of its current high price, and it's frustrating seeing a higher resolution for which there is nearly nil content being pitted against a new TV technology that promises to fill in every PQ parameter gap that second-rate LED-LCDs have little hope of filling (RIP to those that came the closest, the Sharp Elite followed by the Sony HX950). I am still surprised the 55" OLEDs are even on the market in any capacity this year, after all the crying wolf that LG in particular was engaging.
post #26 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

What is "competitive" exists on a continuum. Do I really have to spell it out that I was making the comparison with the only other OLED TV one can buy right now? It's disingenuous to proclaim an expensive technology will never become ubiquitous because of its current high price, and it's frustrating seeing a higher resolution for which there is nearly nil content being pitted against a new TV technology that promises to fill in every PQ parameter gap that second-rate LED-LCDs have little hope of filling (RIP to those that came the closest, the Sharp Elite followed by the Sony HX950). I am still surprised the 55" OLEDs are even on the market in any capacity this year, after all the crying wolf that LG in particular was engaging.

Of course I agree, the high price always accompanies new technologies. I can't predict the future, but I do know that in a couple of years 1080p plasma could rival today's OLED in quality at a fraction of the price. At 84", plasma once again becomes an option for UHD (due to the minimum cell size current fab methods allow), which could threaten OLED in its current incarnation.

There is a flip-side. If inkjet-printed OLED is developed into a working product by Sony/Panasonic and it becomes a reliable fabrication method, then at some point in the future, printing your own flat screen panels should be possible, the same way color photos are printed today. There most certainly is an optimist inside me who wants to see things go in that direction.

post #27 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:

Quote:

—For the screen's curve to work properly, the viewer has to sit at a specific distance
—The curve is only a benefit if the viewer is centered and sitting at the right distance
—Curved screens cost more per inch and offer little tangible benefit, even when used properly
—With a 55" screen size, only one person can even fit in the curved screen "sweet spot"

That said, Sony's screen is larger than the curved OLEDs and the curve is less pronounced. It's more suitable for a living room and couch arrangement than a curved 55" OLED.

this may be true for a TV - I've yet to see a curved screen TV -- but for a projector experience a curved screen is quite an upgrade. Some of the higher quality theaters I've been to have the curved screens and I think it looks good and would like to replicate that in my home if curved screens were reasonbly priced for home theater projector use.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #28 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I don't think the degree of curve will have any of these drawbacks.
DaverJ likes this.
post #29 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

I don't think the degree of curve will have any of these drawbacks.

I don't understand your comment.

post #30 of 57 Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 578
Quote:

Quote:

I seem to remember you captured photos that show how the curve worsened light reflections at some angles?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page