Sony PS Vita TV for Gaming and Streaming—November 15 Release in Japan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
On November 15, 2013, Sony will release a new product in Japan, one that has the potential to shake up the set-top box arena: the PS Vita TV. Borrowing almost everything but a touchscreen from Sony's PS Vita portable gaming platform, the new device promises to bring both streaming video and gaming into the living room.

The Vita TV joins an increasingly crowded field of compact boxes and dongles that vie for the attention of consumers—including Apple TV, Roku, and Chromecast. For now, the new device is slated for release in Japan on November 15, and will cost 9480 yen—which is approximately $95. For a package price of about $150 (14,280 yen), the new mini-console will be bundled with a Dualshock 3 controller plus an 8GB memory card.

The PS Vita TV is a diminutive device, Sony's smallest piece of PS hardware

Sony's entry is decidedly more game-centric than the competing devices, featuring compatibility with a number of PS Vita games (but not all) and the ability to remotely play games on a Playstation 4 using a Dualshock 4 controller. It is even possible to use the Vita TV to play games against someone who using a portable Vita.
Quote:
"The idea of PS Vita TV is to let you play Vita games on the big screen using a DualShock 3 controller, but there’s actually more to it than that. While PS Vita TV has a card slot for Vita games, and accepts Vita memory cards, it will also let you use video streaming services (such as Hulu) and more. It will even let you play your PlayStation 4 via Remote Play with DualShock 4" - source: IGN

The device is quite diminutive, and for the same price Apple charges for its Apple TV, Sony now offers a competing box that adds high-quality gaming to the mix. There is no word on when the new box will see a launch outside of Japan, but it is a good bet that will happen sometime soon.

Tomorrow is Apple's big day, and some industry observers say that a new Apple TV is on its way. However, nobody knows if that device will add gaming to the mix. If Sony delivers on the streaming content side of things—which would only require them to match the feature set of its current crop of connected Blu-ray players—I think the company could be onto something through the inclusion of the Vita gaming platform and Playstation 4 console compatibility. It will be interesting to see if Sony can provide a viable alternative to the current leaders in the streaming set-top box segment, and I look forward to the American and European debut of this intriguing little device. How about you?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
Follow AVS Forum on Google+
Dj Judde likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
I love the idea of it, but the execution is flawed. 720p/1080i barely made the cut in 2010, but in 2014 it's just not going to fly.

I still see some use for it as a PS4 extender, but as a standalone media streamer, they're going to need to do much better.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I love the idea of it, but the execution is flawed. 720p/1080i barely made the cut in 2010, but in 2014 it's just not going to fly.

I still see some use for it as a PS4 extender, but as a standalone media streamer, they're going to need to do much better.

But what is the point of outputting in 108p if the content is all in 720 or less?

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

Coffin Family Theater Build
post #4 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

But what is the point of outputting in 108p if the content is all in 720 or less?

Netflix and other streaming services are 1080p. The resolution of the PS4 remote play is unknown, but 1080p isn't out of the question. One day this platform will stream playstation games from their gaikai service, and there's potential for 1080p there as well.

It's just the bare minimum standard nowadays...I'm not buying a 720p device.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #5 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its a cool idea I guess but I already have a vita and I don't wanna have to buy this just make the vita work with a dualshock controller now and add a cord or something to play it on a tv anything shoot the psp go u could use a ps3 controller to play games on sony is being real money grubbing
post #6 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan82 View Post

Its a cool idea I guess but I already have a vita and I don't wanna have to buy this just make the vita work with a dualshock controller now and add a cord or something to play it on a tv anything shoot the psp go u could use a ps3 controller to play games on sony is being real money grubbing

How is this money grubbing?

they are offing a way to play all the vita library for half the vita price?

If they put out a new Vita version that had TV out it would cost you 4200+ for it. this is actually Sony doing a good thing for it's consumer base.
vilfrard likes this.

Marantz AV8801 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 / RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / Velodyne SMS-1 / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / 4x - DTech BPVX/P Surrounds / DTech SM55 Heights / DTech SM65 Wides / SVS PB13 Ultra / 2x Buttkicker LFE / PTAE-8000U / Globalcache, iRule & Insteon.

post #7 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

This device is not going to make a PS3 remote work on your Vita. This device is compatible with a PS 3/4 controller and is the equivalent of a non-portable console version of your Vita.
vilfrard likes this.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #8 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

How is this money grubbing?

they are offing a way to play all the vita library for half the vita price?

If they put out a new Vita version that had TV out it would cost you 4200+ for it. this is actually Sony doing a good thing for it's consumer base.

Actually, not all of vita's libtary, the ps vita has games which requires use of its touchscreens and wont work with a dualshock 3
vilfrard likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Yea sure this is a good thing for all those that didn't buy the vita I get that but what about the people that have a vita that we (me) bought for top $ there is a in/output jack on the top of the vita that has yet to be implamented that could be hdmi who knows. And I also know that this new vita tv won't make a ds3/4 work on my vita I was just saying the psp go the psp that slides open was able to use a ps3 controller so why with this new more powerfull vita can't I use a ps3 controller so u see why I would not buy a vita tv I think its silly just my 2 cents
post #10 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Actually, not all of vita's libtary, the ps vita has games which requires use of its touchscreens and wont work with a dualshock 3

Sorry Mr picky, so 98% of Vita's library.

there are only a small handful of title that REQUIRE the use of the touchscreen and the tilt type function, but all the mainstream games have the option to use standard controls.

in addition you have access too ALL the PSP games that are available for the vita and the extensive PSX library as well.

For $99 this thing is a steal.

post #11 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Yea sure this is a good thing for all those that didn't buy the vita I get that but what about the people that have a vita that we (me) bought for top $ there is a in/output jack on the top of the vita that has yet to be implamented that could be hdmi who knows. And I also know that this new vita tv won't make a ds3/4 work on my vita I was just saying the psp go the psp that slides open was able to use a ps3 controller so why with this new more powerfull vita can't I use a ps3 controller so u see why I would not buy a vita tv I think its silly just my 2 cents

They are 2 entirely different products for 2 completely different markets.

Is anyone complaining about Apple TV offering access to the same stuff an Iphone has?

No!

It is because one is portable, and one is meant for the living room. I was a day one Vita buyer, paid a premium for it and the memory card, but I am definitely grabbing a Vita TV when it comes to the US.

Why?

Because when I am home I prefer to play on the TV not on a piddly little 6" screen. Why would I constrain myself when I can have a big screen experience.

Should I go on a vacation, go to work, etc, then I take my Vita with me.

How is this such confusing logic to so many.

And to top it all off, there is a huge market sector of people who just don't like handheld gaming, myself included. I do it because I am a hardcore gamer, and I will not miss out on the new Assassin;s Creed or Mario adventure just because I have a distaste for the format it is presented on.

But there is a large portion of the gaming community that do not give a damn about portable systems, and they are missing out on some great games, this device bridges that gap. And to top it all off, it comes with a huge already existing library, streaming media capabilities, and a very low price. It is a win win situation for most folks.
imagic likes this.

post #12 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Get the Nyko Power Grip and skip the DS3. You'll thank me later.

post #13 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I will get it because I don't like handhelds and would like to play my PSP backlog on TV.

I was going to use my HTPC and use the PSP emulator, but emulators being what they are, I think Vita TV is a safe bet.

I don't see much of an appeal beyond hardcore game fanatics like yours truly smile.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

I will get it because I don't like handhelds and would like to play my PSP backlog on TV.

I was going to use my HTPC and use the PSP emulator, but emulators being what they are, I think Vita TV is a safe bet.

I don't see much of an appeal beyond hardcore game fanatics like yours truly smile.gif

I think it will depend on how Sony markets it. If they pump if with a good campaign on how to get the kids out of the living room when dad wants to watch the game, they could have a real seller on their hands.

I also think from a parental monitoring situation.

PS4 is set up in mom and dads bedroom, kids allow to play via remote play in their rooms. Parents turn it off in their room, no more games tonight. Bed time rug rats smile.gif
vilfrard and imagic like this.

post #15 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
Worth mentioning... no new Apple TV in today's news. The new iPhones may be driving tech news at the moment, but Sony did well in terms of PR, the Vita TV is still on the homepage of most major tech sites.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #16 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Try punctuation. It will help clarify your points.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #17 of 20 Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

Try punctuation. It will help clarify your points.

Aww, give him a break. He had at least one period in his post. wink.gif

If this Vita TV could allow split screen games to be played on two different TVs I will be a buyer.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy3000 View Post

Aww, give him a break. He had at least one period in his post. wink.gif

If this Vita TV could allow split screen games to be played on two different TVs I will be a buyer.

Now that would be a serious game changer!

That right there sir, is a million dollar idea. call Sony now!!!!!
imagic likes this.

post #19 of 20 Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
Might not make a difference:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20130912/302940/?P=2

They don't plan on selling it in North America or Europe any time soon...
post #20 of 20 Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

Might not make a difference:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20130912/302940/?P=2

They don't plan on selling it in North America or Europe any time soon...

This was debunked this morning by Sony on Twitter.

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page