DTS’ Play-Fi - Bigger Than You Think - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Do you own an Android device, PC or an iOS device and enjoy listening to music? If so, you're gonna wanna check this out. There has been an increasing demand for wireless multi-room audio. This is mainly due to the increasing number of smartphones and tablets streaming a multitude of music services. Streaming wirelessly faces great challenges, such as range, quality and expandability…until now. About a year ago, DTS released a wireless platform called Play-Fi for Android and Windows OS. Today, DTS has announced the compatibility of Play-Fi with iOS devices.

Don't know what Play-Fi is? It's a wireless platform created by DTS that allows for a device to wirelessly send music to an enabled Play-Fi device or speaker. In fact, a consumer can send three different songs to three independent Play-Fi enabled speakers at the same time, all from one device.

Quote:
"DTS Play-Fi is now the first licensable whole-home audio technology capable of streaming lossless, high-quality audio from both iOS and Android devices, as well as Windows PCs, to multiple rooms, from multiple users, simultaneously using standard Wi-Fi."

Play-Fi uses the wireless network to stream music using AES encryption. DTS claims Play-Fi does NOT degrade the audio like other wireless streaming platforms, which can only send one stream at a time to a single device. For now, there is only one product out there that has licensed with Play-Fi capabilities. However, DTS has confirmed that new Play-Fi enabled products will be announced at next week's CEDIA Expo in Denver and at CES 2014.

Why is this big news? Well everyone knows Airplay—Apple's wireless streaming platform. The main issue with Airplay is that you need to be surrounded by an Apple ecosystem. Play-Fi does not break the consumer’s product following. Instead, it increases its wireless avenues to different devices across multiple platforms. The integration with iOS devices was the final link to integrating with hundreds of millions devices in circulation around the world. It is similar to the well known Sonos system in that it can stream multiple streams at multiple locations, but the user is not limited to a proprietary brand name.

Quote:
"DTS’ Play-Fi gives users full control of an entire network of speakers in the home. Users can set-up, link, and stream audio to one Play-Fi enabled speaker or multiple speakers throughout the home at once, perfectly synchronized and with no lag."

Whether you are in a theater, at home or on the go, DTS strongly believes in delivering exceptional sound no matter where you are. This new platform will allow everyone to listen to music wherever they are in home without being limited to a product specific brand. I can only assume it will be a matter of time before we will see AV receivers, speakers, soundbars and more with the Play-Fi integration.

DTS also announced the iOS Play-Fi app called Phorus. The version available on the AppStore is limited to streaming Pandora and local content, but we should see updates within the next year with Internet radio, podcasts and more. Phorus is available for download today.

So what do you think of this development?

Get all your A/V News at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I found a product that will support Play-Fi besides the Phorus speaker...

Check them out HERE

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #3 of 11 Old 09-22-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The only problem I can see is that Apple usually crushes the competition, if only for the sake of crushing the competition. The other problem is that iOS only allows for low bandwidth files on the device which would streaming streaming high quality files impossible until it is modified to pull directly from iTunes (like Audirvana). If play-fi does well maybe it will force apple to upgrade its process allowing for streaming of high quality files, that's my hope.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

The only problem I can see is that Apple usually crushes the competition, if only for the sake of crushing the competition. The other problem is that iOS only allows for low bandwidth files on the device which would streaming streaming high quality files impossible until it is modified to pull directly from iTunes (like Audirvana). If play-fi does well maybe it will force apple to upgrade its process allowing for streaming of high quality files, that's my hope.

It definetely should be interesting to see what Apple does. As far as business practice goes, in my opinion, it would be the smarter choice for manufacturers to license Play-Fi as it can reach out to a much larger audience.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yawn

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Don't we already have Sonos?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

When has that stopped any company from trying to suck money out of our pockets with their own standard that requires us to buy new stuff to use it?

Sony and Apple are the kings of that sort of thing.

Apple does seem to be a bit better at it, though. Probably it's because people like Apple better than Sony.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

That's exactly why I found this press release to be interesting. With enough demand, we can see the Play-Fi built-in to our AV receivers and sound bars and we don't have to purchase anything extra.

Sonos is a great product, but you have to buy everything Sonos to make the system to work. Play-Fi would create a more "universal" standard for manufacturers to license no matter what brand it is.

I stream my music from my iPhone to my Apple TVs but I can't stream to more than one Apple TV at a time.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #9 of 11 Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Where is the LINUX love ?!!!!!

post #10 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 AM

What's interesting now is that more Macintosh, Sonus Faber, and Wadia will no produce Play-Fi devices (http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...gains-momentum)

With this in mind, I think the Play-Fi standard will be able to make waves and disrupt both Air-Play and Sonos. Sounds like a great step foward. Lets not forget that the Play-Fi standard is backed by DTS. How do think this will all play out? Will Sonos be in trouble and will Apple have to modify Air-Play to work with Play-Fi?
post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2014, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sonos still seems to be the most reliable and trusted solution but it is quite expensive. I am very happy to learn that DTS has taken the initiative to develop a new wireless standard that will be flexible, expandable and hopefully reasonably priced.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page