Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 344
So...1080p panels for 4k? Unless there are two 1080p panels being used, I'm not sure that the final picture will be a 4k resolution. I know eShift is responsible for the signal once it enters the projector, but I was hoping for real 4k from JVC this year. I'm looking for a 4k RS56 replacement projector, but it looks like I might just need to start eating ramen noodles to get a Sony 4k ES model.
vilfrard likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Wow....so the same 'ol eShift2 algorithms for upscaling, an HDMI 2.0 specification that's up in the air, and the panel is 1920x1080? Seems like it would be better to love what you've got for another year and buy in at this time next year when there is native 4k in the 2.0 spec.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-29-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Wow....so the same 'ol eShift2 algorithms for upscaling, an HDMI 2.0 specification that's up in the air, and the panel is 1920x1080? Seems like it would be better to love what you've got for another year and buy in at this time next year when there is native 4k in the 2.0 spec.

Actually, JVC calls it eShift3, a new and improved version of eShift. But yes, the panels are still 1920x1080.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #5 of 17 Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hey I am game to check this out! I am in the market for a jvc anyway I might as well wait a couple more months see how this plays out and go from there. smile.gif
post #6 of 17 Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The big news is the dynamic iris (they call it Intelligent Lens Aperture).
Quote:

Noah
post #7 of 17 Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I agree, that's the big news here.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

I agree, that's the big news here.

I agree, and it is quite a departure from the company whose marketing plan routinely boasted the highest native contrast to incorporate this technology. But my point was that if you already have an existing JVC projector, it would probably be best to wait another year to see what has improved from a hardware perspective inside the projector rather than relying on new tech on current 1.4 HDMI / 1920x1080 hardware before spending another $5k, $8k or $12k.

And even if you are in the market for a new projector, I would personally caution against overspending on the best available 2k projector technology when we are at the precipice of what is likely to be a major industry conversion to a new native hardware platform. Even if my own theater was finished today, I'd be a complete bottom-feeder on projector, preamp and Bluray for something that would "get me by" at an acceptable quality level until all the new native 4K hardware with HDMI 2.0 spec will certainly be available by this time next year.

I guess the best way to describe it in the current market is that if you are looking at an upscale projector, would you rather spend $12k on JVC's best or $15k on Sony VPL-VW600ES which is a native 4K projector with HDMI 2.0? Smart money says the latter if you are looking to "settle down" with a projector for a number of years before upgrading.
idratherbeflying likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Who says you have o buy the top model?

Besides he incremental improvements in the chips, you can get the DI in the 4900 for less than half that.

Noah
post #10 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Calling the Intelligent Iris by JVC big news is an severe understatement. The news of JVC adding an II to its projectors was news of the magnitude of the Pope endorsing marriage for priests or proof that Moses actually received 11 commandments instead of 10. Or maybe that Lake Michigan completely froze over on July 4th. Far far bigger than when Joe Kane admitted he made a mistake or was wrong.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #11 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

Who says you have o buy the top model?

Besides he incremental improvements in the chips, you can get the DI in the 4900 for less than half that.

Actually PF. He states very convincingly so in his first post in his thread My Favorite 5 Projectors at Cedia 2013. Aye Aye Sir. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #12 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
looks like the guy on the left of the 'freeze frame' of the youtube video HAS ESHIFT on his right eye biggrin.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #13 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I agree, and it is quite a departure from the company whose marketing plan routinely boasted the highest native contrast to incorporate this technology. But my point was that if you already have an existing JVC projector, it would probably be best to wait another year to see what has improved from a hardware perspective inside the projector rather than relying on new tech on current 1.4 HDMI / 1920x1080 hardware before spending another $5k, $8k or $12k.

And even if you are in the market for a new projector, I would personally caution against overspending on the best available 2k projector technology when we are at the precipice of what is likely to be a major industry conversion to a new native hardware platform. Even if my own theater was finished today, I'd be a complete bottom-feeder on projector, preamp and Bluray for something that would "get me by" at an acceptable quality level until all the new native 4K hardware with HDMI 2.0 spec will certainly be available by this time next year.

I guess the best way to describe it in the current market is that if you are looking at an upscale projector, would you rather spend $12k on JVC's best or $15k on Sony VPL-VW600ES which is a native 4K projector with HDMI 2.0? Smart money says the latter if you are looking to "settle down" with a projector for a number of years before upgrading.

I do not agree totally here with this logic. Is 4k coming yes it is already, here well sorta...we have the ability to project and view it but there is not a whole lot of content yet and I think it will be several years before it is mainstream. There will be the inevitable format war on how it will be delivered. Is it going to be physical disc this time? Maybe not. THis in my opinion would be a good buy and or consideration for anyone in the market for a new projector.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post

I do not agree totally here with this logic. Is 4k coming yes it is already, here well sorta...we have the ability to project and view it but there is not a whole lot of content yet and I think it will be several years before it is mainstream. There will be the inevitable format war on how it will be delivered. Is it going to be physical disc this time? Maybe not. THis in my opinion would be a good buy and or consideration for anyone in the market for a new projector.

The current benefit with existing content is the upscaling of the material. I know it's not real resolution, but it does make a difference similar to JVC's eShift technology. Second, when content becomes more available you wouldn't have to start the projector upgrade process if you are one that hangs onto your projector for a number of years before upgrading. By going with any 1080 panel-based projector you would be forced into the upgrade. I can see 4K content streaming releasing in the near future as a stop-gap to physical media and the hardware that will support it, particularly through the Playstation 4.

I guess the real question is whether the guy who buys a $5,000+ 4K display is the same guy who buys a PS4 gaming / entertainment device....
post #15 of 17 Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Actually PF. He states very convincingly so in his first post in his thread My Favorite 5 Projectors at Cedia 2013. Aye Aye Sir. smile.gif

Yes, but that's one person's opinion; someone else who was at the show responded that he didn't see that much of a difference between the 67 and the 49.

Noah
post #16 of 17 Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:

Yes, but that's one person's opinion; someone else who was at the show responded that he didn't see that much of a difference between the 67 and the 49.

It was near impossible to compare them. Different screens both size and gain and completely different material.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17 of 17 Old 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

fair enough, thanks

Noah
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Cedia , Cedia 2013 , Jvc