AVS Newsbreaker & Social Media Manager Mark Henninger (imagic) at CEDIA 2013 - AVS Forum
Latest Industry News > AVS Newsbreaker & Social Media Manager Mark Henninger (imagic) at CEDIA 2013
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar Scott Wilkinson 04:46 PM 10-01-2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

docevil's Avatar docevil 01:57 PM 10-03-2013
In all honesty, this is the best interview of all the CEDIA 2013 videos! Well done Mark for your honest and candid answers.
schnura's Avatar schnura 03:16 PM 10-03-2013
+1 Can't agree more.
popalock's Avatar popalock 07:54 AM 10-04-2013
Awesome Mark. Keepin it real!
comfynumb's Avatar comfynumb 04:36 PM 10-06-2013
Great interview and we do appreciate the candid remarks you both made.
Toe's Avatar Toe 07:06 AM 10-07-2013
Great summary of Cedia, thanks! One thing though is me and some of the other AVS guys from what they reported in the projector forum were told the Sony was being displayed on a 179" diag (13' wide) ST130 screen, not a Firehawk. I had 2 different Sony reps tell me this at the show since I had to ask around a bit to find out what screen (size and gain) they were using and both told me ST130 (neither were sure on size though which Mike reported on later in the forum). Also, black levels were a bit hard to judge in that demo considering there was a bit of light coming through the back curtain and hitting/washing out the screen slightly.
Joseph Clark's Avatar Joseph Clark 08:46 AM 10-07-2013
Great review - loved it!
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar Scott Wilkinson 11:47 AM 10-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Great summary of Cedia, thanks! One thing though is me and some of the other AVS guys from what they reported in the projector forum were told the Sony was being displayed on a 179" diag (13' wide) ST130 screen, not a Firehawk. I had 2 different Sony reps tell me this at the show since I had to ask around a bit to find out what screen (size and gain) they were using and both told me ST130 (neither were sure on size though which Mike reported on later in the forum). Also, black levels were a bit hard to judge in that demo considering there was a bit of light coming through the back curtain and hitting/washing out the screen slightly.

I seem to recall that the demonstrator at the show said it was a FireHawk, but when I asked Sony to confirm the material, I was informed that it was a StudioTek 130, 179 inches diagonal, 16:9. You're right that black levels were a little difficult to judge because of light leakage.

John Schuermann's Avatar John Schuermann 02:42 PM 10-07-2013
So cool that Mark was most impressed with the Epson UltraWide 2.35:1 demo, which utilized the Panamorph sub-$2K CineVista lens smile.gif Even cooler is that Mark is an imaging science guy and was STILL extremely impressed.
JustMike's Avatar JustMike 12:43 AM 10-09-2013
I saw the Prima Cinema demo, and they didn't say anything about having to buy the Meridian system. I would be really surprised if that were true. They say you can go into a theater of up to 25 seats, and I don't think that Meridian system is even suited to such a room.
imagic's Avatar imagic 09:03 AM 10-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

I saw the Prima Cinema demo, and they didn't say anything about having to buy the Meridian system. I would be really surprised if that were true. They say you can go into a theater of up to 25 seats, and I don't think that Meridian system is even suited to such a room.

What I recall being told at the demo was that the Meridian system was one of the approved systems for use with Prima Cinema—you are not allowed to simply use Prima with just any surround-sound system, it needs to to be one that is approved by the company.

idratherbeflying's Avatar idratherbeflying 07:39 PM 10-10-2013
Great interview! The discussion cleared up a few things for me and both of your cander is really appreciated. I was surprised Scott/AVS did these videos but I'm really pleased they did. Great stuff.
popalock's Avatar popalock 01:41 AM 10-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbeflying View Post

Great interview! The discussion cleared up a few things for me and both of your cander is really appreciated. I was surprised Scott/AVS did these videos but I'm really pleased they did.Great stuff.

Surprised by their cander?
NewtownTheater's Avatar NewtownTheater 05:03 AM 02-03-2014
Think he meant candor.
drjay71's Avatar drjay71 08:19 AM 04-10-2014
Can someone tell me what was used for the Epson 2.35:1 demo? Projector, screen, and lens?

Thanks
John Schuermann's Avatar John Schuermann 03:00 PM 05-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Can someone tell me what was used for the Epson 2.35:1 demo? Projector, screen, and lens?

Thanks

Not sure of the projector model (think it was the Epson 6030) or the screen, but I know for sure it was the Panamorph CineVista, because we supplied it to Epson for the show.
John Schuermann's Avatar John Schuermann 03:09 PM 05-20-2014
Confirmed - it was the Epson 6030 and the Panamorph CineVista. Here is the picture of it from the show.
DodgyDog's Avatar DodgyDog 05:22 AM 06-04-2014
I happened to be a fly on the wall at the stand when Scott and Mark were looking at JVC's "4K" offering. Scott must have tried to ask the question "but it's still a 1080p projector?" about three different ways before the rep begrudgingly admitted that it was(!)
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 04:27 PM 06-05-2014
CEDIA 2014 registration has opened. Is there a thread for the 2014 show?

I'm all signed up. First time attending CEDIA (or being in Denver). Should be fun!
Up
Mobile  Desktop