AVS Forum banner

Panasonic to End Plasma Panel Production By April 2014

41K views 391 replies 109 participants last post by  cbcdesign 
#1 ·

It appears that Panasonic is abandoning plasma panel production for good. According to Japan's Nikkei business outlet—and reported by Engadget—the company will not produce any more plasma televisions after the end of the company's current fiscal year, which ends in March 2014.

Panasonic's VT60 plasma was very highly rated, but there will be no sequel

About six months ago, Panasonic denied it was exiting the plasma business . The official word from the company was that plasma production would continue, even if R&D on new panels would not. The company's 2013 plasma models were among the all-time best-reviewed HDTVs, finally achieving (or beating) the image quality benchmark set by Pioneer's defunct Kuro line.

Quote:

"Sales will then continue until inventory runs out. The paper states that Panasonic has suffered losses exceeding 750 billion yen through fiscal 2012 thanks to the waning product line and is in talks to transfer tenancy rights or sell off its remaining plasma factory." source: Engadget

It looks like the curse of the Kuro has struck again; when a plasma panel's image quality gets too close to perfect, the whole line gets cancelled—and now the future truly belongs to LCD and OLED. I am curious how long Samsung and LG will continue building and selling plasma HDTVS, considering this development.

Update:  Reuters has an article that is now cited by numerous national publications as a primary source for this news.
Quote:
"The move also signals the demise in Japan of a technology in which TV makers once invested heavily but has now been overtaken by advances in the liquid crystal display (LCD) business. Plasma display TVs accounted for less than 6 percent of global shipments in 2012, compared with 87 percent for LCD TVs" source: Reuters

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Like AVS Forum on FaceBook

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

See less See more
#327 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300#post_23957433

4k is the reason why Panasonic gave up on Plasma,look on flatpanel HD.

Chise, it may be one, but it´s not the only reason, I guess. Between others, that I may not be aware of, the successful "combined" marketing over LCD displays trhough the other major brands as Sony, Samsung, LG specially on smaller panels also forced Panasonic on a turn around towards the LCD, as its financial results on this field were going (I do not know how it is today, though) from bad to worse year after year.

I remember buying my hd plasma tv set still in 2009 for half the price of the similar size lcd. Today prices are similar for the remaining units, at least here in Brazil where they made available this year only the 64 inch VT60 model.

Here, Panasonic is kind of (for me clearly) leaving this field, keeping some LCD/LED models, and losing market share to Samsung / Sony.

Regards,

Carlos

#329 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300#post_23952505

Because it turned out that most people prioritized portability and availability over quality. Back then portable devices did not have the storage to hold HD audio formats, in addition to the bandwidth issues. Now is the right time for a resurgence of HD audio, especially since HD video paved the way for 24/96 multi-channel audio support on just about every stereo system out there.

Sony recently held a press conference where it committed to spearheading a HD audio renaissance.. The company says it is all-in when it comes to online delivery of HD audio and the gear needed to play it back.

All in with the PS4...

Now it makes sense (not playing CD's).

#330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300#post_23957433

4k is the reason why Panasonic gave up on Plasma,look on flatpanel HD.

Nope the Plasma arena has been losing money for years now, it was only a matter of time. Even Samsung will be pulling out soon.

It's not all bad news though, this means they can now focus their attention on better emerging technologies like OLED.

#331 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300#post_23964327

Nope the Plasma arena has been losing money for years now, it was only a matter of time. Even Samsung will be pulling out soon.

It's not all bad news though, this means they can now focus their attention on better emerging technologies like OLED.
For what I read it cost too much to make it,plus it was not energy EF.So read flatpanel HD.

#334 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/330#post_23969726

I think Plasma's demise is greatly exaggerated, just as much as OLED's success. Plasma is still easier to manufacture than OLED.
In what sense? Only LG and Samsung build them now, there will be no plasma leap to 4K, market share is tiny and still shrinking...

#335 ·
True, but I don't think 4K OLEDs are around the corner either. A Plasma leap to 4K could happen in 5 years, if microLED displays fail big time. I think as micro-LED succeeds, Plasma will get dumped; but it won't happen soon. True 4K content isn't around the corner either.

If I am wrong, it is only because I was cautious.

#336 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/330#post_23979049

True, but I don't think 4K OLEDs are around the corner either. A Plasma leap to 4K could happen in 5 years, if microLED displays fail big time. I think as micro-LED succeeds, Plasma will get dumped; but it won't happen soon. True 4K content isn't around the corner either.

If I am wrong, it is only because I was cautious.

You can forget the idea of a 4K plasma, simply no money in that market even if OLED fails which I don't think it will. LCD/LED is going to be around for a while yet as well, in fact be prepared to see many more 4K options in that configuration down the road. There are other technologies on the horizon that haven't been talked about much yet that could also make a surprise debut.

#337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/330#post_24004147

You can forget the idea of a 4K plasma, simply no money in that market even if OLED fails which I don't think it will. LCD/LED is going to be around for a while yet as well, in fact be prepared to see many more 4K options in that configuration down the road. There are other technologies on the horizon that haven't been talked about much yet that could also make a surprise debut.
Just read something on FlatpanelHD that OLED is cheaper to make than LCD TV's,will see 2014 and beyond.

#338 ·
4K can kiss my butt for being overated. It is hard to make OLED versions; at least, they make them in large sizes now. Since there is little 4K content, I am more interested in Micro-LED displays, (mostly OLED) in the future.

Edit: I have heard rumors of 31" 4K OLEDs with the Yieldjet. I am still a little skeptical, though it would be nice.

#343 ·
I just scooped up a 65" VT60 before they are gone. This will be my forth Plasma and most likely my last. Very sad to see them go.

#344 ·
Could current panels accept the higher bit rates, 4.4.4, deep color, etc that seem to be driving the new sets? I think they're building the new sets with these features and providing the improved IQ/content rather than providing content that our units are already capable of. Am I the only one feeling ripped off? Am I wrong?

I'm still shocked by the IQ on my uncalibrated TC-P50X2 (720P) Panny.

I've noticed the IQ from my Sat provider has been improving since the 4k talk started, commercials specifically, often looking and sounding better than the program we're watching.

#345 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300_60#post_24158171

LG is building a boat load of OLED plants,OLED is the new future of TV,they are introducing a 4k OLED in a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300_60#post_24159058

^You're getting bamboozled by a press release. Most (all?) are TV assembly plants that already exist.

*nods*

For a more realistic view of the OLED future, including references made to the subject in the above quoted post which excitedly purports the, "building a boat load of OLED plants", see this longstanding thread for some dissection of the subject.

#346 ·
Can't seem to find the plasma tv I want online anywhere. It's the 50st60. Any help?

#347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/330#post_24008809

4K can kiss my butt for being overated. It is hard to make OLED versions; at least, they make them in large sizes now. Since there is little 4K content, I am more interested in Micro-LED displays, (mostly OLED) in the future.

Edit: I have heard rumors of 31" 4K OLEDs with the Yieldjet. I am still a little skeptical, though it would be nice.

4K content (native) isn't required to justify the image quality gains by 4K display. With proper up-scaling/interpolation, a 1080p image becomes pixel-free with no visible pixel structure from 1 screen-widths distance. That's a good thing, even when watching 1080p source material, and will allow flat-panel displays to get larger and larger in size.

Films were intended to be viewed ideally within a 30 degree viewing angle (@ 1.5 screen widths). Many of today's flat-panels (especially plasmas) show pixel-structure artifacting when viewed closer than 2 screen widths. Reducing this artifact allows displays to get larger, for us to sit closer, and for flat-panel based home-theater systems to more appropriately be called "home theaters".

While it may seem premature now to see plasma displays getting passed over by major manufacturers, it won't be long before 4K displays using other technologies (in addition to LCD) hit the scene that exceed plasma's noteworthy performance characteristics in addition to bringing us 4K resolution.

#348 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/330#post_24164830

4K content (native) isn't required to justify the image quality gains by 4K display. With proper up-scaling/interpolation, a 1080p image becomes pixel-free with no visible pixel structure from 1 screen-widths distance. That's a good thing, even when watching 1080p source material, and will allow flat-panel displays to get larger and larger in size.

Films were intended to be viewed ideally within a 30 degree viewing angle (@ 1.5 screen widths). Many of today's flat-panels (especially plasmas) show pixel-structure artifacting when viewed closer than 2 screen widths. Reducing this artifact allows displays to get larger, for us to sit closer, and for flat-panel based home-theater systems to more appropriately be called "home theaters".

While it may seem premature now to see plasma displays getting passed over by major manufacturers, it won't be long before 4K displays using other technologies (in addition to LCD) hit the scene that exceed plasma's noteworthy performance characteristics in addition to bringing us 4K resolution.
While plasma is dangerous, it provides framerate improvements in both the 720p and 1080i formats. So far 1080p60p is rare. It would seem 1080i produces the ghost well in 1080p24p/30p and it doesn't remove judder much. They need to start over again with 4KIP/(UHD?) to keep the lcd sharpness up. It makes a great computer monitor though. 900p is some sort of ugly experiment, but some things were filmed in it, like sports.

#349 ·
Guess who just scored a new 50ST60 plasma television? ME!!!

Reactions: freemeat
#350 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza  /t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/300_50#post_24180602

Guess who just scored a new 50ST60 plasma television? ME!!!

Congradulations! I just had my 65VT60 delivered today. Enjoy. JT

#351 ·
Does anybody know if the 50ST60 has built in dual band wifi?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.