post #362 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

My understanding and concern is that there is 2D-3D conversion to some extent going on even for native Blu-ray 3D movie titles. Would really like hands-on opinions about actual native-3D side-by-side tests with an active-3D display and the Ultra-D Glasses-Free set playing the same native- 3D title at the same time.smile.gif

You'll have to settle for side-by-side with a passive set. I have a Vizio M3D550KD that I plan to use for the comparison. I have plenty of 3D Blu-rays and a highly competent video card in my PC.

keb33509 likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

The TV is still in transit (international shipping) - the moment I have my hands on it I promise I'll update this thread as well as start a dedicated thread on the experience.

Are you getting a prototype or an actual production unit that will be sold in stores?
post #364 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Are you getting a prototype or an actual production unit that will be sold in stores?

I'll figure that out once I have my hands on it, I don't even know what screen size I'm getting :eek:. All I know is it shipped from Holland last week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd like to know how close you can get, along with your approximate IPD measurement since that has some bearing.

post #366 of 390 Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

The Ultra-D TV arrives today (it's after midnight)

Kenmcsf likes this.

post #367 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

The Ultra-D TV arrives today (it's after midnight)

I'm interested in how the 2D will look since the lenticular layer is permanent...

I've heard in some video posted here by the creator that the 2D picture is just the depth slider set to 0, so it will never look like a pixel-perfect 2D 4K TV.

Waiting for review...

post #368 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post

I'm interested in how the 2D will look since the lenticular layer is permanent...

I've heard in some video posted here by the creator that the 2D picture is just the depth slider set to 0, so it will never look like a pixel-perfect 2D 4K TV.

Waiting for review...

Importantly, it's here! I'll report on every nitty-gritty aspect of performance that I can. My video card is UHD/4K ready and youtube has footage so at least there's that. I find 1080P serves me well, Ultra-D UHD/4K promises some improvement on that in 2D. It's going to be fun, it's not every day that I get my hands on a pre-production TV with some exciting new technology.

For those who were wondering if the TV was going to be an actual production model.. it isn't. There's still an external box involved.

DaViD Boulet likes this.

post #369 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Very excited to read your review, Mark. I'd like to ask your impression of how much of a difference the "peek around" (or "hybrid holographic") feature makes. By that I mean does moving your head to the side while watching an Ultra-D set give you something unique and valuable compared to the (IMO) irritating and funky change in perspective you get when watching a standard 3D TV? I'm seriously thinking about visiting my niece out East just so I can get close enough to see one of the Ultra-D displays. biggrin.gif
imagic likes this.

Joe Clark

post #370 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Very excited to read your review, Mark. I'd like to ask your impression of how much of a difference the "peek around" (or "hybrid holographic") feature makes. By that I mean does moving your head to the side while watching an Ultra-D set give you something unique and valuable compared to the (IMO) irritating and funky change in perspective you get when watching a standard 3D TV? I'm seriously thinking about visiting my niece out East just so I can get close enough to see one of the Ultra-D displays. biggrin.gif

I will write a review, but I will also start a dedicated thread about the process of reviewing it, that I will update as I go. I should have something posted by this weekend.

post #371 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Excellent!

Joe Clark

post #372 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I stumbled onto this thread a couple of hours ago and it has put my upcoming TV purchase on hold!

I assume the screen that is put over the existing glass is done at the factory and can't be added retroactively along with the electronics.

With the Vizio P and R series due out later in the year, I wonder if there is the possibility that they have been in negotiations to add this technology. On a Vizio 65" 3D R series, one can only salivate over the possibilities.

One issue of concern in the pod-cast was the sweet spot of viewing at three times the diagonal of the TV. A 60" TV would have a recommended viewing distance of 15 feet, which seems far for this this size TV, but reasonable for the normal viewing distance in many homes. I wanted to step up from 50" Sony, but I may have to stay with my 12 feet viewing distance.

Also, putting a film over the front of the TV can't help but reduce resolution.

The Chinese TV's mentioned may be very affordable over a wide range of sizes and resolutions.

This development is very exciting and I await word from Mark.
post #373 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

For those who were wondering if the TV was going to be an actual production model.. it isn't. There's still an external box involved.
This does not bode well. All these retail partners were signed up long ago: http://ultra-d.com/products/where-to-buy/ , and they would only be planning to range the models with the integrated Qualcomm Snapdragon 8074 / 800 SoC (and hopefully VP9 hardware decoding can be added in addition to HEVC hardware decoding, although this might only be included in the Snapdragon 8084 / 805 SoC later this year or Snapdragon 8094 / 810 early next). This suggests to me that there have been problems mass-producing the integrated TVs - the 8074 started to be introduced in phones that landed in retail late last year so it would have been sampled to partners long before. What's more, LG - who kickstarted the trend of passive 3D TVs - only plan to introduce glasses-free models in 2017: http://www.koreaherald.com/common_prog/newsprint.php?ud=20140324001247 . It'll be interesting to see how far Dolby's glasses-free technology has advanced behind the scenes. Personally, I'm waiting until CES 2015. I'm looking forward to this as much as anyone, but it wouldn't be a surprise to me if we don't see an Ultra-D TV on store shelves until 2015 - and this after being promised that they would appear in integrated form in 2013, let alone 2014.
post #374 of 390 Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd be disappointed, too, but I'm happy to wait if it means they really get it right. Meanwhile, Mark's prototype unit, and the opportunity to put it through its paces, should tell us a lot.

Joe Clark

post #375 of 390 Old 04-18-2014, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Seymour View Post

I stumbled onto this thread a couple of hours ago and it has put my upcoming TV purchase on hold!

I assume the screen that is put over the existing glass is done at the factory and can't be added retroactively along with the electronics.

With the Vizio P and R series due out later in the year, I wonder if there is the possibility that they have been in negotiations to add this technology. On a Vizio 65" 3D R series, one can only salivate over the possibilities.

One issue of concern in the pod-cast was the sweet spot of viewing at three times the diagonal of the TV. A 60" TV would have a recommended viewing distance of 15 feet, which seems far for this this size TV, but reasonable for the normal viewing distance in many homes. I wanted to step up from 50" Sony, but I may have to stay with my 12 feet viewing distance.

Also, putting a film over the front of the TV can't help but reduce resolution.

The Chinese TV's mentioned may be very affordable over a wide range of sizes and resolutions.

This development is very exciting and I await word from Mark.

If there's one thing I can tell you right off the bat, it's that the resolution loss is definitely noticeable in 2D mode. It's basically the same as a 1080p TV. Viewed from a distance it's not an issue, but anyone who was hoping to use it as a monitor will be disappointed. On the other hand, StreamTV said it was working on a monitor—it would be nice to be able to edit 3D footage on a screen like this.

Vizio showed off its own glasses-free 3D TV at CES, as did Samsung and Dolby. None of the competing systems looked as good as Ultra-D. However, because of the detrimental effect on resolution, I doubt any sort of glasses-free 3D will find its way onto a mainstream TV. If you buy a Ultra-D TV, it's because you want to watch 3D content all of the time.

In past conversations, the folks at StreamTV have repeatedly noted that 8K screens are needed to fully realize the potential of the technology. 

I'm only a few hours into playing with my "Development Sample" Ultra-D TV. I've already seen some really nice 3D conversion take place, and I was blown away by how 3D footage on Netflix looked. On the flip-side, I'm having issues converting 30p footage, this prototype seems to only want to process 24p 2D and 3D. Even 2D at 30p is not smooth.

Please remember, this is still a prototype. It's truly exciting to have such a futuristic technology to play with, but it's still a work in progress. I've had some moments where I've said "wow" and others where I had to stop watching because of the 30p stuttering. 

Airion likes this.

post #376 of 390 Old 04-18-2014, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

I'd better start my dedicated "Ultra-D experience" thread... 

After some very minimal tweaking, I got 3D to look absolutely spectacular. As I adjusted settings, I was sucked into Star Trek: Into Darkness; it's SUCH a trip to see 3D with naked eyes. It instantly reminded me of why I'm so excited about this technology—when it is working, it really works well.

I'll post a link to the new thread as soon as it's up.

DaViD Boulet likes this.

post #377 of 390 Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Good to see some raw impressions! I'll be eagerly reading everything you can offer us. On the other hand, first impressions can be misleading. I'll be most interested in where your opinion settles a week or two from now.
post #378 of 390 Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good info already, Mark. Thanks.

Joe Clark

post #379 of 390 Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
If 2D performance matches a good 1080p display that's ok with me.... I was expecting 4K resolution to drop given the lens structure and 1080p image quality is great. Future 8K panels will allow 4K 2D resolution.
Joseph Clark and Apostate like this.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #380 of 390 Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ditto. I can live with it. If Ultra-D works with the NLE vendors, it seems to me they still might be able to develop a 4K display that could be used as a 3D editing monitor. I doubt that's a priority for them, though. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #381 of 390 Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

If 2D performance matches a good 1080p display that's ok with me.... I was expecting 4K resolution to drop given the lens structure and 1080p image quality is great. Future 8K panels will allow 4K 2D resolution.

Yup. I am perfectly happy with 1080p which is plenty sharp for me. To my eyes, 1080p to 4K is much less of a jump than 480p to 1080p. When I first saw 4K, I wasn't wowed like when I first saw 1080p.
post #382 of 390 Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:

On the other hand, StreamTV said it was working on a monitor—it would be nice to be able to edit 3D footage on a screen like this.

Can I infer that Ultra D monitor can be used for gaming unlike Ultra D TV (which, IIRC, doesn't make a good gaming display due to lag from all the video processing)?
post #383 of 390 Old 04-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 14
The suspense is maddening! Looking forward to the in-depth review of this. Thanks in advance for taking the time to get all of your impressions Mark.
post #384 of 390 Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM

By the way, how big a screen did they send you?
post #385 of 390 Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
While driving home from work today, i found myself wondering how something like Tron: Legacy would work. Would the not-yet 3D 2D become 3D prematurely? Or would the 2D Be 3D that is just 3D -1D, and look like 2D that is just an extra inch closer? Sorry, I think being this patient for so long is breaking something dimensional in my brain
mo949 likes this.
post #386 of 390 Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlZ View Post

While driving home from work today, i found myself wondering how something like Tron: Legacy would work. Would the not-yet 3D 2D become 3D prematurely? Or would the 2D Be 3D that is just 3D -1D, and look like 2D that is just an extra inch closer? Sorry, I think being this patient for so long is breaking something dimensional in my brain

I am curious too; I'll check that out, if I can find a cheap copy.

post #387 of 390 Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Liked: 10
Update?
post #388 of 390 Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krascher View Post

Update?

Yes, I am working on it...

DaViD Boulet likes this.

post #389 of 390 Old 04-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 15
Hopefully we get to see this review soon. I'm looking forward to it.
post #390 of 390 Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo631 View Post

Hopefully we get to see this review soon. I'm looking forward to it.

I have a hands-on experience thread up and running in the LCD Flat Panel Displays forum. 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529769/ultra-d-glasses-free-3d-tv-hands-on-experience

DaViD Boulet likes this.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Vizio M3d550kd 55 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page