Mitsubishi Leaves Projector & LCD TV Business - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fond memories of me and a friend (actually he's on here) both purchasing a WD-65738 from Texas and having them delivered to Oklahoma. Not sure how my friend arranged that but he sweet talked some employees and got one Hell of a deal. His came in first and he was so eager to get it that we drove late night after work (an hour) to Tulsa to pick it up from the freight warehouse. They were not happy about that. Also I slipped on some black ice and nearly broke my neck getting out of the truck. Really was a fun night though and getting back and unboxing it was a blast. We were blown away by the picture and of course the 3D. For both of us it was our first 3D tv and that was our primary reason for buying it. Good times. RIP Mit.frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Like many others on this thread, I too am sad to see the exit of Mitsubishi from the home theater business. My first rear projection TV was a standard def 4X3 50" Mits and I upgraded it to a 65" Diamond RP set when high def came along. This set did not even have a DVI connection, let alone HDMI! I had to hook everything up using component video connections. My first VCR was a Mits and I subsequently "upgraded" to a S-VHS Mits VCR. All of them gave me long hours of enjoyment and I have very fond memories of Mitshubishi products.

RIP.

Cal68
JCitizen likes this.

Cal68
post #33 of 56 Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 87
My Mits HC9000D projects a fantastic image, and even the 3D is bright enough for me in my smallish, completely light-controlled room. It got a THX video calibration from AVSer RayJr, and it's been looking great ever since.

When I used to hang out with the LA Home Theater Group (and I still do hang out with some of them) I got to see a lot of very good projectors. On a daily basis, I wouldn't trade with any of them. Some had great blacks, but motion blur. Some had bulb issues. Some had hot spots. Some had real pop but never calibrated to a realistic color palette. Some were noisy.

In the end, we each choose the compromises we'll accept to get the things we want the most. The Mitsubishi PJs frequently seemed to have the most "balance" to me in terms of compromises that had to be made.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #34 of 56 Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
At one time only the chosen few could be a "Mitsubishi dealer". Nearly 20 years ago I managed to finagle a dealership for the retail company I worked for. They were solid gold in those days. We sold more of those giant rear projection sets that you could shake a stick at. There's probably some still working. As another forum member noted, their 40" direct view (4x3) sets were a thing to behold. They also weighed nearly 300lbs and I've got the bad back to prove it. They were also on the cutting edge of technology at one time. In addition to that 40" DTV, at the time the largest glass tube being marketed, they showed the prototype of a single lens DLP front projector at least 2 years before anyone else. I remember going to one of their trade shows in LA and seeing this thing. They didn't talk much about it. It was a prototype, but every dealer there was talking. Oddly, they never brought it to market!

The last decade saw Mits really slip. Yet, as others on this thread have noted, they made some good looking front projectors. During the time I sold their gear, the company was wary of trusting the "round eyes" who were really pushing their video products in the U.S. It's ironic that you look at Mits and JVC, two giants of the Japanese electronics industry and find that JVC is still going strong. Perhaps it was JVC's broadcast products that kept them on top of what consumer's wanted. To my knowledge, Mits never made any inroads into the broadcast world.
JCitizen likes this.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #35 of 56 Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is sad news but not surprising. I love my Mitsu Diamond RP. I bought my 57" in 2007. I replaced the bulb a couple years ago and had the DLP chip replaced recently and it is still a beautiful picture and TV. I have often thought up going larger but I can't justify the cost of upgrading when this one still works and looks so great.
JCitizen likes this.
post #36 of 56 Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
yeah my folks still have their 65inch Real projection DLP screen, they are onto their third bulb and it still has a pretty good picture but it is slowly starting to show its age.
JCitizen likes this.

post #37 of 56 Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 232
First Panasonic say's it's leaving the Plasma business behind and now Mitsubishi is pulling out of the business entirely. Very sad and it makes me wonder who's the next one to go?
JCitizen likes this.
post #38 of 56 Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
I have the HC5000 my first and only projector. This is 7 years in service with over 800 hours of usage and have served me well. There were many times I thought about upgrading to 3D and nibbled at the HC7800 but did not like the 3D picture because of the darkness. I still run on the same bulb which was a concern when purchasing however this should not have been such a large factor in my decision making. It is bright and plays great with accurate colors and display the dark scenes well. It was a great buy for $3,000.00 at the time with a 92" Vutec screen (which cost another $1,000) . This was purchased from a now defunct company call Theater Xtreme which is another story. Since the holidays are fast approaching the Epson 6320 along with a Black Diamond Screen have been dangling in the confines of my mind but only if I can find a competent installer to do the work.. My foray into projectors was not the best experience with the aforementioned company. However, my wife and I do enjoy watching a good movie every now and then. I think the money would be well spent on this or a similar combination. Also have a 82" Mitsubishi Projection Set but the 3D display is not as great as my LG 8600 LED. (That Theater Xtreme Company left a bitter experience in my mind).eek.gif
post #39 of 56 Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
My main set is still 73" Mitsubishi RP. Still love the picture. I can't say I'm sad to see Mitsubishi go, beyond the fact that the demise of any maker of quality displays is a sad thing. I never loved their projectors, but their RPs were always great. My next display wasn't ever going to be a Mitsubishi, and that's the reason, I imagine, they're not making any more of them.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #40 of 56 Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Mitsubishi also sponsored palladia when it was mhd.
post #41 of 56 Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 10
I really like my Mitsubishi HC7800D 1080p DLP Home Theater 3D Projector. For the price it is excellent. great picture and 3D. The glasses were a bit expensive. I bought 6 and spent about as much as I did for the projector. Besides that I am really happy with it.
post #42 of 56 Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM

This indeed sad news. I really love the picture that my HC7800D projects and was looking forward to future models from them. I have owned several Mitsubishi TV's starting with one of their 35" CRT models. When I think of Mitsubishi TV, I think of big screen and they were my choice for the last few decades.
post #43 of 56 Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM

I was hoping to upgrade my Present LED DLP HDTV to a Mitsubishi LaserVue, but that won't happen now! I can't stand the quality of plasma or LCD TVs compared to my LED DLP set!!! The light that comes outta that screen is just AWESOME. I will have to HOPE AND PRAY my Samsung lasts for at least long enough for the front projector market to catch up with a projector that has an LED light engine, and no color wheel or stupid lamp to change! I love my set, and don't want to give up to inferior products! I'm addicted to HUGE light! Everything else just looks puny to me!

Plasmas have such glaring screens, that I can't make out the image for all the crappy glare that shines off the screen. There are a few sets that have been trying to address this problem, but I haven't had a chance to see one in a showroom. I'm not happy about having a short life span for the luminosity though! I have had my LED DLP since 2008, and have not had ONE problem with the DLP chip or LED light engine! I've had a few swollen capacitors, and some heat stressed driver boards, but the LED is still ticking after all these years, and the colors still smack me in the face every time I turn on the set.

It will be a sad day when I have to switch to another set or technology. I pray the front projectors, that are this capable, drop in price - because the only one I saw that had similar capability to my set cost $23,000 !!!! Call me spoiled - I'll admit it - I just can't stand the thought of having to step down in luminosity in my AV entertainment!! frown.gif
post #44 of 56 Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Sad to see them go. The rear projection units were the most cost-effective large screen HDTVs available. I bought a 92842 about a year ago when I heard they were ending the DLP sets. I still have an 82837 that is performing well. I usually avoid buying an abandoned technology but I hope I have bought myself some time until other cost-effective 92 or more inch options become available. I considered front projection but I can't manage my ambient light that well.
post #45 of 56 Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM

I still miss my Mitsubishi WS55511 55" RPTV even at 480p and 1080i i swear it had a better picture than my 1080p lcd. No motion artifacts, no pixels, and DEEP blacks. After 3 convergence IC's on the last failure, a power supply i think, i euthanized it. That NetCommand beat the hell out of any universal remote. One button and our DVD, Receiver and TV would power up and hit the right settings and inputs. No need to worry if you held macro remote pointed in the right direction for long enough. I would have had a NetCommand Mits LCD if it hadn't been 2x the price of any other name brand 55" model out there. I still have my Mits HD-VCR with nothing to hook it up to, since it needed the RPTV and firewire to work it's HD magic... RIP Mits
post #46 of 56 Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Some may roll there eyes but, I'm still running an HD1000u I bought new for $700 in the winter of '06. It's got 4200 hrs on it and still looks great. True it is 720p but for what it is you can't beat it.
People always comment about the colors. I project onto an SMX, AT screen and the colors do pop. It handles BluRay just fine. New films look amazing. I can't say anything bad about this projector.
Someday I will have time and money to upgrade my setup but for now 100" at 10', with 800 watts makes me smile.
post #47 of 56 Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM

I'm still rocking an HD1000U - I know, but the economy hit my household harder than most. It still produces a beautiful picture this many years later (albeit in 720P), especially after enduring the nightmare that was the Sanyo PLV-Z3
post #48 of 56 Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 AM

NIce!
Another HD1000u owner out there.
You would think we are a dying breed but you don't see many used ones for sale.
People must still be using them.
smile.gif
post #49 of 56 Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This news will eventually free up a lot of space in the TV department at Fry's Stores.
post #50 of 56 Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM

I have a HC-7000 and I am sad to see the exit of Mitsubishi
post #51 of 56 Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 AM

To me this just seems like a great opportunity to get Mitsubishi products at better prices.

I even read that they are still offering support and parts until 2019.

Thanks!
Cory
post #52 of 56 Old 11-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Not true. I am having a DMD chip issue and Mitsu has told me they dont and cant get the chip anymore. They are offering me a buyback at a patheitic price claiming depreciation on their flagship Laservue. 7k in 2009 now only worth 700 to them. Stay away from Mitsu.
post #53 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Saddened I am but also i could see the decline of quality with the HC9000/HC5 projector made in China.

The HC7000 projector stood out as the best fully Mitubishi machine.

I have had the pleasure of owning all these, funny the HC5000 is sold years ago still works for its third owner:

HC5000
HC5500
HC7000 Creme de la Creme, the best!
======================
HC9000 China Sony panels, broke quickly Mitsu CS sent repl. HC5 no questions asked within 1 week!
HC5 China Sony panels HC9000 rebadge to wipe away the disgrace after HC9000 started streeting for
1/3 MSRP, still works

I drew the double dotted line as poor quality became the norm, gone are the tight tolerances,
swirl lines can be seen on the plastic housing, unpainted metal chassis components can be seen through
the grilles, poorly matched anamorphic mount covers.

Mitsubishi is the GE of Japan so to speak, to keep the brand reputation I too would have dropped a line where
quality is going down and in-house components are being replaced by third party poorer quality parts.

Will keep the HC5 until uber-Panny/Epson 4K PJs start streeting sub-2k, which I estimate will be by next Christmas.
post #54 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM

I decided to capitalize on an opportunity to get a heavily discounted HC8000D-BL projector and it has been an amazing upgrade from my previous HC3800. Oh the colors, improvements in black level, contrast ratio, undetectable iris... just loving it!

I am sad, though, to hear about those who have had some terrible experiences with Mitsubishi recently.

Thanks!
Cory
post #55 of 56 Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCitizen View Post

I was hoping to upgrade my Present LED DLP HDTV to a Mitsubishi LaserVue, but that won't happen now! I can't stand the quality of plasma or LCD TVs compared to my LED DLP set!!! The light that comes outta that screen is just AWESOME. I will have to HOPE AND PRAY my Samsung lasts for at least long enough for the front projector market to catch up with a projector that has an LED light engine, and no color wheel or stupid lamp to change! I love my set, and don't want to give up to inferior products! I'm addicted to HUGE light! Everything else just looks puny to me!

Plasmas have such glaring screens, that I can't make out the image for all the crappy glare that shines off the screen. There are a few sets that have been trying to address this problem, but I haven't had a chance to see one in a showroom. I'm not happy about having a short life span for the luminosity though! I have had my LED DLP since 2008, and have not had ONE problem with the DLP chip or LED light engine! I've had a few swollen capacitors, and some heat stressed driver boards, but the LED is still ticking after all these years, and the colors still smack me in the face every time I turn on the set.

It will be a sad day when I have to switch to another set or technology. I pray the front projectors, that are this capable, drop in price - because the only one I saw that had similar capability to my set cost $23,000 !!!! Call me spoiled - I'll admit it - I just can't stand the thought of having to step down in luminosity in my AV entertainment!! frown.gif

My 61" Sammy LED DLP set purchased in 2008 also has been perfect as well. I don't run on the lowest brightness setting but the one right above that and it has plenty of pop even for me who likes a bright picture. But I think that keeps the heat down which probably caused a lot of the LED DLP sets to have problems sooner. Have not checked my hours meter in a couple of years but I must be up in the 40,000 hour range now. So many picture options to adjust on it, that although I have never had it calibrated, just by experimenting and eyeballing it, the picture always makes me happy. I can come in from watching last year's JVC eshift2 RS4810 in my theater which IS calibrated and still be happy looking at this Samsung set.

I talked my son and his wife 3 1/2 years ago into buying a 60" Mitsubishi RPTV as best bang for their $1200 budget buck on a sale at Frys. They are on their second lamp now, and that set still looks good, only having been eyeballed as far as getting its colors to look as much like my Samsung as I could.

Sad to see the big RPTVs go the way of the dinosaur.
post #56 of 56 Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Liked: 20
I'm definitely disappointed. I got an HC7800 about a year ago. The plan was to have it be a 2 or 3 year stop gap until I could afford a higher end projector. I found the image to be so good, that I decided to put more money into better finishing the basement with this guy as the center piece. I was going to keep it for another3 to 5 years to see if 4K would become prevalent.

I guess I'll stock up on some extra lamps. It would suck to have the lifespan and my desire to use the unit outlast the ability to get lamps.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page