Sony XBR-55X900A: Consumer Reports Shares a Review with AVS - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I may just be blowing smoke, but I wonder if a software fix could up the 3D images to 1080p.

No, not a chance.  The FPR is a physical part of the screen.  The scanlines that display with one circular polarization direction are always polarized that way.  The the others, the other way.  You cannot change that in software.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I see what you are saying, the sentence refers to both issues. I suspect that USB-based 4K playback of photos is the functionality that was lost on the firmware update.

Is there a specific reason you suspect that? It seems there are many better ways to phrase that if that is the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, not a chance.  The FPR is a physical part of the screen.  The scanlines that display with one circular polarization direction are always polarized that way.  The the others, the other way.  You cannot change that in software.

Couldn't you though?

Assuming the FPR is what's limiting this then I assume the FPR is covering two horizontal lines per band (ie L12 R34 L56 R 78) if that is the case then the TV could display two consecutive lines of a 1080p feed to each eye which would still result in a full 1080p image to each eye. Considering the reduced pitch of a 4k TV pixel the black "scanlines" would be no bigger than the 55 inch 1080p counterparts.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #33 of 33 Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Easy.....breathe dude.....You're not aware of a bunch of products.

1. There are sound platforms that you can sit your existing TV on.  They're called "audio platforms" or "sound bases", etc.  Here's an example one from BA, but you can find far cheaper ones in the sound-bar category.  The major manufacturers (Panasonic & Sony I think IIRC) have their own as well.

2. There are alternative table top stands.  They use the same bolt-on mechanism you use to mount to a wall.
3. There are also things called "TV risers" which act like little tables that look great.  The term is also used sometimes to describe the table top stands that bolt on the back that I mention in #2.

Here are some of the pictures of risers and stands from a google search of "tabletop tv stands" (no quotes).  A couple of these don't apply, but are included because of the screen capture I took:

Excellent! I've already seen some of those you suggested but they didn't suit me. A couple others I haven't seen though so will check them out! Thank you! smile.gif

I can breathe again...

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page