A Visit to CNET's TV-Testing Facility - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Cool story, but frankly I take anything that CNET puts out with a large grain of salt ever since the CES "best in show" award debacle. Of course, that probably applies to any mainstream tech blog/site since they are mostly owned by corporations that have some vested interested in the products and industries they cover. They mostly all receive direct advertising revenue from the very companies they review as well. I don't know how anyone can take any tech blog seriously these days.
videobruce likes this.

BACK TO BLU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Consider CNET reviews + Value Electronics Shootouts as a comprehensive approach.
post #33 of 37 Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post

Cool story, but frankly I take anything that CNET puts out with a large grain of salt ever since the CES "best in show" award debacle. Of course, that probably applies to any mainstream tech blog/site since they are mostly owned by corporations that have some vested interested in the products and industries they cover. They mostly all receive direct advertising revenue from the very companies they review as well. I don't know how anyone can take any tech blog seriously these days.

Honestly, no one would be questioning any of it had it not been for that stupidity with the best in show award.

Quite frankly, that doesn't give me pause at all when it comes to actual testing and reviews, though.

Why?

Simple: Data.

An award for "best this" or "best that" is almost always subjective. It's a preference made all the worse by corporate interests. It's like creating a best of list for movies or TV shows: there's no right answer, though there are clearly ones that are the most acceptable to the majority.

Testing processes are less opinion and more fact because those opinions are often supported by hard testing data. Either the product meets the requirements or it doesn't.

Sure, there are certain preferences that can come into play, but if the black levels are no good, the edges leak light or the speakers suck, you're not going to get away with showering the product with love for very long before you're called on it.

Further, there are other outfits doing roughly the same tests, so it's easy enough to compare testing reviews, unlike event awards for best use of LEDs or best cable management innovation.

Clearly, corporate interests are always a potential issue when it comes to rating a product, but you can have the opposite problem with independent reviewers, too: there are a lot of individual reviewers that are clearly fans of particular products or companies and will always rate them better despite not having any corporate overloards.

Even an outlet like Consumer Reports can have biases. For example, they used to consistently mark down audio receivers with poor radio tuners, despite the fact that most people never use the function on them. There would occasionally be constradictions, too, like marking down one car for having a dash that's too busy, while marking down another for being too baren.

The key is to use the data to assist in your research, not as a be all and end all to what to buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 37 Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 20
Always cool to see what the wizards are doing behind the curtain….er…black drapes.

Thanks for the insightful article!
post #35 of 37 Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 16
Great read ! really enjoyed reading your well written write up

Makes me feel good about my recent purchase a month ago, a Panasonic 65S60, i love it ! I have long suspected the Retailer push of LCDs is largely due to greater profit margins due to the higher manufacturer cost of Plasmas (the reason i think Panny is getting out of the plasma game, not enough profit). I love the picture on my Panny plasma and the 3D is awesome.
post #36 of 37 Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Plasmas are not more costly to manufacture...they just don't sell enough in comparison to LCD.
post #37 of 37 Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Liked: 22
I've been skeptical for a while now that irregardless of the lack of 4k content and the fact that these manufacturers can give 4k resolution capability, I'm still not sure that the processors and delivery systems required to present the smooth 4k resolution to the screen is not yet fully refined or produced and still leaves much to be developed. I will wait until the processors improve to by a 4k tv...
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000 , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page