A Visit to CNET's TV-Testing Facility - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200

A bit over a month ago I was in New York for a press event, where I ran into David Katzmaier, the Senior Editor/HDTV at CNET. I'm a fan of his writing, and I was curious about how he goes about reviewing televisions. Fortunately, David was very gracious and extended an invitation to visit his TV-testing facility located in the heart of Manhattan.

If you want to test TVs, it helps to have a room like this one.

The facility itself is a home-theater geek's dream. Considering the midtown-Manhattan location, there is a generous amount of floor space for the dual home-theater arrangement—back-to-back couches with a heavy black drape that can separate them. When I arrived, David had arranged one comparison—a pair of UHD televisions and an HD plasma of the same size. On the other side of the curtain, he had set up a comparison of some televisions that I chose beforehand. We will get back to that topic in a little bit.

In this panorama you can see how a heavy black drape splits the room

The first thing to know about Katzmaier's work is that his reviews are always comparative—if he is reviewing a 65-inch LED-edgelit LCD, he will also have a similar model from a competitor, or another model from the same manufacturer, and perhaps a similarly priced plasma panel, all set up next to the review unit. This really highlights any differences in performance between the panels, something I could see quite clearly during the demonstration.

Before we sat down, David showed me a few of the cool gadgets he has lying around in his lab. I got a kick out of a Konica-Minolta LS-100 luminance meter—a single-purpose device that cost $2500 and allows you to measure brightness levels of any surface by simply pointing and pulling a trigger. It feels a bit like a superpower—who would have ever thought that taking black-level readings could be addictive. For seriously accurate measurements, the lab also features a Konica-Minolta CS-2000 spectroradiometer, which costs close to $30,000 and is an industry-standard tool.

Konica-Minolta LS-100 luminance meter

Konica-Minolta CS-2000 spectroradiometer

Another interesting device was a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) emulator, which turns out to be a crucial tool—if you test televisions for a living. EDID information passes between the source and the display, and sometimes with new devices the connection cannot be completed. With an EDID emulator, you can copy the information from one device, and then plug in another device and use the information from the first device.

Gefen HDMI Detective Plus EDID emulator

Prior to my visit, David asked if there any comparisons I would like to see. I decide to shoot for the moon and mentioned that I would love to see a UHD television as part of a comparison. Since CNET had not published any reviews of UHD televisions up to that time, I hedged my bet and asked to compare a couple of mainstream LCD televisions with a mainstream plasma.

For the LCD units, I requested a Vizio M551D and a Samsung UN55F8000. For the plasma, I requested a Panasonic TC-P60ST60—a TV with the distinction of having earned the highest rating ever from CNET. The Panasonic plasma received its top ranking because of the overall value it represents, as opposed to being the ultimate in producing a reference-quality picture. At the last minute, we decided to add a fourth TV—Sony's KDL-55W900A LCD TV. Then, temptation struck again and we decided to toss in 2013's best-performing plasma panel, Panasonic's TC-P60ZT60. There were dozens of TVs to choose from, even a Kuro of some sort that was sitting in a dark corner waiting for another chance to shine.

Katzmaier had dozens of TVs to choose from

A Kuro sits in a dark corner

I was thrilled that David had all those options available—since I own a Vizio M-series TV, I was curious how it would hold up in such a lineup. However, as it turned out, David had a surprise in store—a pair of UHDTVs. There was a Samsung UN65F9000 and a Panasonic TC-L65WT600. That setup, which was on the other side of the black drapes that bisected the room, also included a third television—a Panasonic TC-P65S64 plasma, which is a special model for sale at membership-based warehouse-type stores. It features image quality that comes close to the ST60, but has fewer features—for example; the S64 does not have 3D capability. 

David preps a pair of UHDTVs and a 1080p plasma for a comparative review

We decided to have a look at the UHDTVs first. David explained the difficulties involved in testing these TVs—namely the lack of good native-4K content. Sony's UHDTVs work with that company's FMP-X1 Ultra HD media player, but the player only works with Sony's own UHDTVs. When I arrived, David was still waiting for Panasonic to drop off a 4K player, so I missed the opportunity to see native UHD footage in that comparison.

Instead, we compared 1080p Blu-ray clips on the three panels to gauge the effectiveness of their upscaling 1080p to 2160p. It was immediately obvious why Katzmaier prefers to review a TV by comparing it to other TVs—it levels the playing field. In this case, the modestly priced 1080p plasma panel was never any worse at rendering video than the UHD panels—which cost three times as much for the same size screen. There are numerous image-quality parameters where the S64 plasma actually had the two LCD-based UHD panels beat, including screen uniformity and viewing angles. While the F9000 did exhibit very deep blacks, it only beat the S64 plasma's black levels during very dark scenes.

Comparing image quality between two UHDTVs and a 1080p plasma

When it came to rendering detail, I saw no advantage to upscaling on either the Panasonic or Samsung UHD units. In fact, the Samsung appeared to lose a little bit of detail versus the other two TVs. In the recent past, I witnessed Sony's XBR-65X900A outperform top-tier native 1080p plasma panels in terms of detail rendition, so seeing this mediocre performance was a bit of a letdown.

Based on that experience alone—even if price were no object—I would choose the plasma panel over the UHD units. In the real world, I would gladly purchase a reference-level plasma versus buying one of these first-generation UHDTVs. Samsung did build the full-array local-dimming 85" S9, a technological tour de force that offers a glimpse of the format's potential, but sadly the 65" units offered no such reward for the early adopter. Without true 2160p content, the new UHD panels are stuck in idle.

Getting UHD to work properly can be a hassle and content is hard to find

I wish I could have stayed for the 2160p content comparisons, but time was somewhat limited. David gave me a full three hours of his time, which is very generous considering the cost of running a facility like CNET's. We moved to the other side of the room and began our comparison of 1080p panels.

David prepares five HDTVs for comparison

Since I enjoy 3D movies, I wanted to see how the five panels handled that format. I was mostly interested in the differences between active and passive technology, and the difference between plasma and LCD when it comes to active-shutter 3D performance. We chose Hugo because it has a lot of depth to the 3D, which can result in excessive crosstalk on systems that do not perform well.

The results confirmed what I have read and personally experienced. Active-shutter LCD TVs are intrinsically flawed—in fact, I found that both the Sony KDL-55W900A and the Samsung UN55F8000 were unwatchable in 3D mode because of the excessive crosstalk. The 3D was much cleaner on the two Panasonic plasma panels. The Vizio performed as I expected, providing a bright and crosstalk-free 3D image, but the resolution loss that results from the use of passive technology was far more obvious to me than it is at home, when I am only looking at my own TV. That was the experience I sought—and there is no way to get it, aside from vising CNET's facility.

David proceeded to run tests for black level, color rendition, gamma, motion resolution, viewing angle, and so forth. I suspect that many AVS readers will not be surprised to learn that the plasma panels outperformed the LCD panels in just about every single image-quality parameter. The bigger surprise was how close the ST60 gets to the ZT60 in terms of image quality—the main visible difference being how deep the blacks were. It costs a full $1000 extra to get that last bit of depth, but on certain scenes, the effect could be mesmerizing. That said, both plasmas outperformed the LED-LCDs in numerous other areas, including motion resolution and screen uniformity.

Katzmaier checks each TV for color and grayscale accuracy

After the comparison ended, I left with a new degree of respect for 1080p plasma panels. My own HDTV purchase (Vizio M-series) resulted from my preference for passive 3D. However, over the last year I have become keenly aware of the deficiencies of LCD TVs, and especially LED-edgelit models with their pseudo local dimming. My visit to CNET's Manhattan laboratory cemented these views.

Screen uniformity and black levels compared—edgelit LCD on the left, plasma on the right

I cannot wait for OLED to become affordable. I tried out active glasses with OLED, and that combination is essentially perfect—very bright with zero crosstalk. After experiencing David's method of comparing TVs, I feel no impatience about UHD OLED coming to market, because 1080p really is more than adequate. I would love to own a 70-inch flat OLED one of these days, but I'm in no rush.

The one application where I have found that LCD technology offers a compelling advantage is glasses-free 3D, a technology capable of taking advantage of UHD resolution and providing a unique experience. I recently witnessed a demo of a technology called Ultra-D that convinced me there is an image quality-driven application for LED-LCD panels. I would love to see one of those TVs in a comparative evaluation versus conventional active and passive 3D panels, Katzmaier style.

One thing is clear—the TV industry is pursuing more than one path to the consumer's wallet. Comparing TVs in a store is not the same thing as comparing TVs under controlled lighting, with each calibrated TV oriented to face the viewer. David Katzmaier deserves a lot of credit for going through the effort to review TVs under such rigorous conditions. Considering all that, it is no surprise that Panasonic plasmas dominate the ratings when it comes to CNET's highest recommendations for flat-panel TVs. Yet it appears that Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business. I wonder what sort of TVs will top CNET's list next year?

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Like AVS Forum on FaceBook

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

All photos ©2013 by Mark Henninger

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for the writeup Mark! It was fun having you visit. Come back anytime.

And a more general thanks to the AVS community for all the contributions you've made to the industry over the years. This site is truly ground zero for informed users, and even someone who's been doing this as long as I have can glean valuable insight here. It's really cool to see how the editorial staff, with dedicated people like Mark, can take it beyond being "just a forum," while still maintaining its enthusiast roots.

-- David
post #3 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Great article Mark and David welcome !!! Have enjoyed your work over at CNET for many years smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Very nice write-up.

post #5 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Greetings,

Well done Mark. Thanks for providing an informative and interesting article. Thanks to David as well! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #6 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 10
Super jealous! Hey I'd love to know more about your comparisons of the 3d abilities of the plasma versus LCD and active versus passive. Would you say the active plasma 3d is a mile behind passive ? Was there really a big difference between active LCD and active plasma? Do you have a new appreciation for active plasma 3d or is it still a ways behind passive for overall enjoyment ? Cheers
post #7 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Great article Mark and David welcome !!! Have enjoyed your work over at CNET for many years smile.gif

+1 for me as well
post #8 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
It's a shame that good plasma TV's won't exist in the near future. First Technics now plasmas frown.gif
tlwiz1 likes this.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #9 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I see a Stewart Projection Screen in the background of a couple of pics.

Do they do a lot of FPJ testing?
post #10 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
How was the Vizio compared to other LED? I want to know more about how this budget set stacks up. I am thinking about a new bedroom set soon.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #11 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 PM

That's our 120-inch diagonal StudioTek 130 G3. We're able to do comparos using a custom two-shelf ceiling mount augmented by a floor stack as necessary (five PJs simultaneously is the most I've done so far).

http://reviews.cnet.com/how-we-test/tv/ [scroll down for the projector section]

We've only done a few this year, but we're looking to ramp up in 2014.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-projectors/
imagic and biliam1982 like this.
post #12 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10

Good read. I am a fan of David's writing myself.

I am also sad to see the main manufacturers moving away from plasma. I have just replaced my main TV (Pioneer with a VT60) and I must say that I miss the Pioneer. Based on whatever I have read and seen nothing compares to the PQ from the top tier plasmas in controlled environments.

post #13 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wow AVS keep it up...............
Thanks Mr. Katzmaier big fan of your reviews throughout the years....your a true believer in plasma having some of the best picture quality like myself, very sad though to see the king of plasma (Panasonic) stop making them.

My wish for Christmas is a Panasonic 4k plasma..........oh well i can still have dreams and wishes.
post #14 of 37 Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Surprise surprise, plasma wins again. The LCD worldwide apocalyptic horror show continues in earnest.
StinDaWg, agkss, tlwiz1 and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Ditto I bought 2 new sets this year both were reviewed David at C net I looked at a lot of sets and David's reviews very helpful I bought one he rated a best value .
and the other one was a very good . David's reviews convinced me to look at Plasma sets so ofc I bought one for the HT .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #16 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Any comments on the ST60 3D performance after the firmware update? How does it compare to the reference displays?

Mark were you able to test this out while you were there?
post #17 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
AVS & CNET--"Wonder Twin powers, activate!"

Nearly everything I know about TVs is as a result of AVS and Katzmeier. Thanks for the write-up Mark and thanks to David for being so generous with your time and resources.
StinDaWg likes this.

post #18 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for that interesting article Mark. Add me to the list of people who highly respect the reviews done by David Katzmaier. I always check out his reviews first, whether I am looking for a new TV for myself or helping a friend with a TV purchase.
post #19 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked: 33
Last picture shows it all. After 6 years of LCD I am back to Plasma and I am loving it every bit!
StinDaWg likes this.
post #20 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzmaier View Post

That's our 120-inch diagonal StudioTek 130 G3. We're able to do comparos using a custom two-shelf ceiling mount augmented by a floor stack as necessary (five PJs simultaneously is the most I've done so far).

http://reviews.cnet.com/how-we-test/tv/ [scroll down for the projector section]

We've only done a few this year, but we're looking to ramp up in 2014.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-projectors/

Cool!

Can you tell us what you have planned?

Which projectors are you going to be reviewing?
post #21 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
David-

Will you be picking up a 60-series plasma for yourself now that they're on the verge of extinction?

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #22 of 37 Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Question to David and Mark, would you rather watch a Blu-ray on the very best display or the very best projector and screen?

Mark, this could be a thread by itself, something you might want to delve into.
post #23 of 37 Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzmaier View Post

Thanks for the writeup Mark! It was fun having you visit. Come back anytime.

And a more general thanks to the AVS community for all the contributions you've made to the industry over the years. This site is truly ground zero for informed users, and even someone who's been doing this as long as I have can glean valuable insight here. It's really cool to see how the editorial staff, with dedicated people like Mark, can take it beyond being "just a forum," while still maintaining its enthusiast roots.

-- David

Hi David. Please feel free to post on AVS more often as your invaluable insights are greatly appreciated by everyone here. 2 posts since you joined in 2006 isn't that much and I'm sure everyone in the majority here agrees with me. We can be a rowdy and a hardcore bunch sometimes but the majority of us mean well even in our worst of times wink.gif.
post #24 of 37 Old 11-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 18
Now I am even more satisfied that I decided to pull the trigger on the Pannasonic TC-P60ST60 recently as my next HD TV (replacing a 5-year old Sharp LCD). Breaking it in with DNice's slides right now, but from the little I have seen with just OTA HD.....sweet!
post #25 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 AM

Chere (and anybody else wondering about my 1 post every 3 year average...which will improve 50% after I click "SUBMIT" below) :

I've actually been lurking at AVS much longer than 2006; I think I got an account then because I needed it to search or something. Like I said, it's always been a great resource.

As a general rule I don't post to forums professionally, mainly because I just don't have the time to keep up with threads once they begin to take off. Hell, I don't even post to CNET's own forums, beyond the Picture Settings forum.

If you want to keep up with my stuff on CNET the best way (aside from visiting regularly) is to follow me on Twitter @dkatzmaier . I stay pretty on-topic there; you won't get many updates on my lunch or my political views, although you may get a disproportionate amount of RTs that originate from stuff I like at CNET or other industry friends like @HDTVTest , @chrisheinonen or, yes, @AVSforum . I also like twitter because it's a public forum and my responses can be viewed by any follower. I also have Facebook and Google+ pages set up, but of the three I really prefer interacting on twitter.

I also spend a good deal of time reading comments on recent articles and reviews at CNET, and I often respond to them (I have 600-odd comment replies now). Mostly I reply to comments on my own articles or those of CNET colleagues who cover TV and home theater. I really like comment replies because they're inherently on-topic and even more visible to readers than twitter. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for my productivity), we don't have a good notification system for editors yet on CNET comments, so I don't know when someone posts a new comment to an article unless I check it manually myself. Although--pro tip--I do get notifications when someone replies to one of my comments.

You can also email me directly via my CNET profile:

http://www.cnet.com/profile/David+Katzmaier/

I really do answer a large percentage of my direct email. I often wish there was some automatic system that allowed me to easily make those emails public too, but that hasn't happened yet.

Note that you have to sign up for a CNET account to email me via my profile or to leave a comment at CNET.

Anyway, that's just a long-winded way of saying that even though I probably won't be increasing my AVS post count much anytime soon, I try to make myself as available as possible at other places online. Apologies for leaving unanswered questions here, but if you really want to know, try me again on twitter!

And finally, a massive THANKS! to everyone for the kind words on this thread. I really appreciate it.

-- David
post #26 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
^^^I can vouch for that. Katzmaier does a great job addressing comments in his reviews, which helps a great deal when you're shopping for a new TV. I went with the ZT based in part on the review and comments below.

post #27 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Mark...Given your interest in UHD and 3D, I'm disappointed you didn't compare passive 3D on a UHD as compared to a 1080 panel. It would seem to be one of the few advantages one might be able to gain from UHD utilizing currently available source material if the UHD sets can do it well.
post #28 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Do you test the capabilities of the tuners in these sets?
With the proposed "repacking" of the broadcast spectrum, the ability of the tuners to handle the more densely-packed channels, and the varied RF levels, will be very important.
videobruce likes this.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #29 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

Mark...Given your interest in UHD and 3D, I'm disappointed you didn't compare passive 3D on a UHD as compared to a 1080 panel. It would seem to be one of the few advantages one might be able to gain from UHD utilizing currently available source material if the UHD sets can do it well.

Simply put, neither of the UHDTVs that were on-hand featured passive 3D. Both were LED edgelit units featuring active 3D. Had there been a Sony UHDTV in the mix, I would have asked to run the comparison, because I am definitely interested in how good 1080p full HD 3D looks on a UHD passive set.

That said, my next 3D TV will be of the glasses-free variety. That's pretty much a guarantee—I'm spoiled for good.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #30 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 22
Bravo! Well done article.
imagic likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000 , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page