Blockbuster to Close Remaining Stores and End Disc By Mail - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
And another thing; If Netflix were to set up some Redbox-like kiosks for their subscribers they would regain a lot of what profit has been lost to Redbox. Because even though I might like Netflix snailmail is outdated anyway especially when I can get online and reserve that same title I want to see for same day pickup at Redbox

And also on the digital media takeover note: There will always be people who prefer the physical disc and digital media will never kill off physical media except perhaps in the future if Redbox is ever allowed to rent/stream movies at their disc rental prices - that and only that would tip the scales almost entirely. Double post I know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

And another thing; If Netflix were to set up some Redbox-like kiosks for their subscribers they would regain a lot of what profit has been lost to Redbox.

Same goes for Blockbuster. About 5 years ago they could have changed their business model to that of Redbox, closed all their stores, and set up a bunch of blue kiosks everywhere to compete with the red kiosks you see everywhere, and BB might still be afloat.
post #93 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 316
My immediate reaction is to be somewhat melancholy about Blockbuster closing for reasons others have stated. I grew up renting there, the signal of less choice in how to get physical media, the sign of physical media's decline, the fading away of a nostalgic way of doing things, etc. And I'm just not into streaming (image/sound quality being generally better on physical media, for one thing).

On the other hand, Blockbuster represented the worst sides of the video rental experience, in terms of their influence on Hollywood. And also just on renting movies in general. Blockbuster was the epitome of "iles of movies as far as the eye can see..but nothing to watch." They just stocked so much crud, so much direct-to-video movies etc. I'd always be in a blockbuster thinking "Is there anything I want to watch...where is it?"
It's because the selection had nothing to do with the love of movies, no discernment whatsoever; it would just stock crap from whoever could line their pockets somehow.

Wheres here in Toronto (I live right near downtown) we are blessed with some truly excellent enthusiast video stores, several close to me. These are places stocked by people who know and love film. When I walk into an enthusiast store, the experience is completely opposite from Blockbusters. Instead of "I can't find anything I want to watch" I'm struck with "I want to watch everything here, where do I begin?" One store seems to have virtually every decent movie available for rent or sale.

I'll be truly bummed if these stores were to close down and the option of browsing physical media and renting it were gone. Happily, these stores seem to always be doing strong business so their demise doesn't seem in the cards as of yet. And I do feel bad for the great many enthusiasts who feel the same as I do, but who no longer have such stores available.

(That said, there's netflix-type services. And I think I'm an outlier in not being interested in that type of experience either. I want to either just own a movie, or I feel very impulsive about what I want to watch one night so I go grab it from the video store. The whole "I really feel like watching this movie" and then order and wait..and wait...thing doesn't appeal to me).
post #94 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post

Same goes for Blockbuster. About 5 years ago they could have changed their business model to that of Redbox, closed all their stores, and set up a bunch of blue kiosks everywhere to compete with the red kiosks you see everywhere, and BB might still be afloat.

Blockbuster actually did have quite a few kiosks which were called Blockbuster Express Kiosks. However, they were in a very small number of locations compared to Redbox. The only time I remember seeing one was at a truckstop off the interstate. Gotta give them credit for trying though. I was just saying that if Netflix had kiosks and allowed their subscribers the same access to the movies in them as their snail mail service it could be a hit. But I think Blockbuster Express's problem is that they weren't original at all and were just trying to be Redbox with their kiosks and it just wasn't happening

post #95 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I still don't get why anyone on AVS considers services like Netflix streaming, Hulu or iTunes to be "high quality."

The data rate is so much lower than Blu-ray, and it's often quite easy to see the difference in picture quality due to the increased compression.

I'm sad to see this happen as I hate downgrading to the video delivered by "HD" streaming or online services. eek.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #96 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I rent most of my movies from DirecTV Cinema....but if I like the movie enough I go buy a Bluray...I dont buy digital movies or music....
vilfrard likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #97 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 11

great amazon,it's very expensive, but compared to going to the movies it's relatively cheap. I will also stream some older movies from my Amazon Prime account and watch it on my iPad or computer. I miss the days of going to the video store though...it was fun to browse the aisles.thanks

os9n8Q

vilfrard likes this.
post #98 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Liked: 38
Some time ago there was one Blockbuster Express kiosk in my town. But it had DVDs only, no Blu-Rays. At the time, there were 3 Redbox kiosks within 3 miles of me (and this is not a very big town), and all had Blu-Rays. Maybe a couple dozen titles, all recent movies, of course.

Pathetic. It's like they were going through the motions, not really trying hard to compete.
post #99 of 185 Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

It's not digital media that killed it. And physical media is not at all obsolete. Red Box is just undercutting everyone w/their prices and THAT is why the competition is all but obsolete, in fact several small video stores I've been to all complain about Redbox driving everyone out of business too. Vudu and iTunes are still way more expensive for renting/streaming new releases at 5.99 and that would be even more of a niche market anyway if the studios didn't hold certain new titles away from Netflix/Redbox for a certain length of time forcing you to either buy the movie or rent it at 5.99 for the first month it's out. There is also the option to get a digital copy from someone who bought the movie and just pay a cheaper amount for their UV code but that is certainly not a mainstream practice at least not enough to kill off the rental services
No, what killed BB is shortsightedness and a complete lack of ability to see things coming and adapt.

A decade ago they had a chance to buy Netflix and opted to pass.

When Red Box was just ramping up, they could have hit them with a full court press and dominated before they could have gotten a foothold. Instead, they allowed Red Box to quietly entangle themselves into prime locations where people can easily impulse rent a movie on the way home from the grocery store or other shopping areas. For that matter, they even let Walmart's failed attempt wreck their chances at it, too.

That doesn't even take into account streaming, which they waited on until they were already circling the drain.

They had plenty of chances to turn the ship around, but instead, they just keep rolling full steam ahead into the iceberg...king of the world to dead in the water.
gamermwm likes this.
post #100 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
No matter what mistakes they made I am still sad to see it go. My local store was very well managed and maintained. Professional staffs, always courteous, clean store, mini gaming or other events to lure people in. I am sorry to see them go. They are having their liquidation sale on the 14th. I am going to try and break away from work and pick up some movies.
vilfrard likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #101 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
3.99 at Blockbuster to rent a movie as opposed to 1.00 at Redbox. Decisions, decisions...

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #102 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

3.99 at Blockbuster to rent a movie as opposed to 1.00 at Redbox. Decisions, decisions...
$3.99 to be able to select a FILM -vs- $1.00 to rent a modern 'movie'...Decisions, decisions...biggrin.gif
post #103 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

$3.99 to be able to select a FILM -vs- $1.00 to rent a modern 'movie'...Decisions, decisions...biggrin.gif
I think it was the price not the content that crushed them. High rental prices and late fees. Once again decisions, decisions...

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #104 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix crushed them then Redbox and streaming put the nail in the coffin.

post #105 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

My point is that there is almost nowhere to rent a film ala carte now. Redbox only pushes the new crap. Where can you rent a Hitchcock movie without a monthly subscription or by streaming it? Redbox is just another step in the dumbing down of America...mad.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #106 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My point is that there is almost nowhere to rent a film ala carte now. Redbox only pushes the new crap. Where can you rent a Hitchcock movie without a monthly subscription or by streaming it? Redbox is just another step in the dumbing down of America...mad.gif

When a lot of older movies and classic films are available to purchase on disc for 5.00 or less renting those movies becomes a redundant idea/moot point. Plus even Vudu has a classic films section I believe if you really want to rent you can stream it and you wont be losing resolution or quality vs a DVD

post #107 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dish bought Blockbuster when they were in bankruptcy for $320 mil, iirc. Dish then added a Blockbuster package for $10 per month to its lineup that gives you around 15 xtra HD movie channels, Blockbuster movie streaming service and disc rental by mail that allows 1 disc out at a time.

I wonder how/if this is going to affect Dish Network subscribers? I have the Blockbuster add-on due to the extra HD channels and streaming (occasional) but don't use the disc service.........
vilfrard likes this.
post #108 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^The disc service was canceled for Dish subscribers already. https://www.blockbusterathome.com/

On-demand is still available, as well as some movie channels..big whoop (the quality is a letdown in comparison to Blu-ray).
post #109 of 185 Old 11-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It seems unbelievable to me but it was more than 20 years ago that I worked at Blockbuster. It was the days of VHS tapes and the first gulf war. So much has changed since then but I remember just before I left, after a three year sentence, the talk from the upper management was that we had to deliver value added services in order to compete with the on demand services that cable companies were just starting to try out in select markets. Then Blockbuster ended their employee rental programs. The free and reduced price rentals helped us be video "experts" but the bean counters just saw it as lost revenue. In those early years it always seemed like they made business decisions with only the next quarterly fiscal report in mind rather than long term decisions. I don't know what it was like with the other owners as I left while Blockbuster was still owned by H Wayne and his cronies.
vilfrard likes this.

PSN brakel

post #110 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

When a lot of older movies and classic films are available to purchase on disc for 5.00 or less renting those movies becomes a redundant idea/moot point. Plus even Vudu has a classic films section I believe if you really want to rent you can stream it and you wont be losing resolution or quality vs a DVD
And what brick and mortar store can I go to to peruse these titles? rolleyes.gif
post #111 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 2173
Quote:

And what brick and mortar store can I go to to peruse these titles? rolleyes.gif

I've seen vats full of such discs at a store called Wal-Mart.

gamermwm likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #112 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Quote:

I've seen vats full of such discs at a store called Wal-Mart.
+1. I have also spotted them at target and frys and even at best buy from time to time.

It is also of note that there is a nifty web site called amazon.com that most often has available just about any movie ever transfered to a shiny disc....many many classics and older titles can be found very cheaply.
vilfrard and gamermwm like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #113 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are totally genius at stating the obvious but missing the point entirely. Case in point: Stating that 'vats full of such discs' is the same as shelves full of disks organized by Genre and Title...With a live human to tell you if they have what you seek...And that somehow 'a nifty web site called amazon.com' is equivalent...What was their brick and mortar address again? eek.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #114 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 2173
Quote:

You guys are totally genius at stating the obvious but missing the point entirely. Case in point: Stating that 'vats full of such discs' is the same as shelves full of disks organized by Genre and Title...With a live human to tell you if they have what you seek...And that somehow 'a nifty web site called amazon.com' is equivalent...What was their brick and mortar address again? eek.gif

Amazon is not "equivalent" to a Blockbuster. The selection is much larger, searching is much easier, and you don't have to waste gasoline to drive to a store that may or may not have what you are looking for in the first place. Amazon is part of the reason Blockbuster's failure to adapt ended up being fatal. Figuratively speaking, Amazon's brick-and-mortar address is... drumroll please... one's own home. Same with Netflix and iTunes and Vudu.

Also, Best Buy and Target and Wal-Mart still have plenty of movies neatly arranged on shelves.

Personally I am glad to see Blockbuster go. I even feel a twinge on contempt when I think about the time I've wasted trying to get a new release rental, back in the day. A dinosaur, finally extinct.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #115 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Amazon is not "equivalent" to a Blockbuster. The selection is much larger, searching is much easier, and you don't have to waste gasoline to drive to a store that may or may not have what you are looking for in the first place. Amazon is part of the reason Blockbuster's failure to adapt ended up being fatal. Figuratively speaking, Amazon's brick-and-mortar address is... drumroll please... one's own home. Same with Netflix and iTunes and Vudu.

Also, Best Buy and Target and Wal-Mart still have plenty of movies neatly arranged on shelves.

Personally I am glad to see Blockbuster go. I even feel a twinge on contempt when I think about the time I've wasted trying to get a new release rental, back in the day. A dinosaur, finally extinct.
Don't forget FYE and local mom & pop stores that have both new and used discs. And where I live there are several Family Video stores. Still quite a few b&m locations to buy discs from if one frowns upon the ease of using Amazon.
vilfrard likes this.
post #116 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Don't forget FYE and local mom & pop stores that have both new and used discs. And where I live there are several Family Video stores. Still quite a few b&m locations to buy discs from if one frowns upon the ease of using Amazon.

Yes. And if you do a lot of browsing you can find some good surprises in the 3-5 dollar range.
post #117 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Amazon's brick-and-mortar address is... drumroll please... one's own home.
To which I say Horse$#!t. I am not going to deny that Amazon has a great selection and is convenient but really, that's about the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. For the record I do buy stuff from Amazon but that doesn't make it the same as a store.
vilfrard likes this.
post #118 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyway, I didn't intend this to be argumentative so let me once again say I'm sorry to see rental stores go and that anyone who thinks RedBox is great is deluding themselves.
post #119 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not too sad about this..i was bummed when hollywood video closed as it was close by but reb box, netfilx and amazon (streaming via prime and the.selections of discs that are at my door in a day or two). I have never been too bummed if something was not in stock as there is enough other options. Bd is the way to go and will buy what i really like but the rest is easy and immediate. And the sacfrice is ok for cheap entertainment. I just save bd for the films that.are more immersive.
post #120 of 185 Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Saw a big sign on the Brighton Michigan store, going out of business.

I'll stop by and see what deals they are offering now.

Would it be moribund to capture the last of the stores in pictures for memories sake?
Everyone who posts / reads this thread, take an outside and inside shot and Post it here.
This is history in the making, needs to be captured.

Via my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
vilfrard likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page