Blockbuster to Close Remaining Stores and End Disc By Mail - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 185 Old 11-30-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Agreed, I bought blu-rays online for $4, $5, and $7 new yesterday.

Definitely they did not compete with Black Friday sales.

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 185 Old 11-30-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When the last one in my town went under I bought a bunch of TV/movies for $.25/ disk. You just have to wait until their last week or so.
post #183 of 185 Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The downside of Blockbuster was those pesky late fees, which netflix doesn't have but redbox does. The quality of the discs were more bad than the local library disks and netflix. Netflilix was also a leader video game rentals too. I remember renting everything from SNES games to Playstation 2 /Xbox titles. They also were popular in selling used games as well as newer ones like NFL 2k5, which I bought at blockbuster in Blairstown, NJ before they closed their doors due to poor business. The one in Rockaway NJ was a busy one, and the one in Clifton NJ was very popular. Blockbuster had two locations in that city, one near lexington ave not too far from where the Clifton Quad theater used to be (now Walgreens), and one in Clifton Commons that was big right by Stop and Shop. If Blockbuster killed mom and pop video stores, then Netflix and Gamefly killed it. Blockbuster also sold movie food too, although their prices weren't as good as the local CVS or Walmart. They also had attractive kiosks showing trailers of upcoming movies on tv screens. You know when a movie is popular when the media behind the cases were out, so you had to ask the counter for a raincheck. The dropoff box was very convienient.
post #184 of 185 Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm glad they're going under. The last straw for me, years ago, was at Halloween time. They reduced the rental time from 5 day to 1 day for certain horror movies, AND raised the price. I walked out and never returned. mad.gif
post #185 of 185 Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

The downside of Blockbuster was those pesky late fees, which netflix doesn't have but redbox does.
Red Box doesn't have late fees. They simply charge you by the day. That's completely different than BB's late fees that would eventually have you owning the movie for some inflated price at a certain point and being branded a thief by them.

If you're someone who rents 1 or two movies a week and can get them back next day, Red Box is a good choice.

For those who leave discs sitting on their coffee table for days or weeks before they watch it, Netflix is a better choice.

Those who fail to use the appropriate service will overpay for movie rentals either by pay for extra days of a rental or by not getting as many discs for a flat monthly rental fee.

The fact is, there's an easy way to avoid late fees: return stuff on time. That works for things like bills, too.

Granted, there have been some shady doings with BB in the past causing some to be charged fees they shouldn't have been, but I find most people simply don't do their part and return stuff on time.

As someone who never paid a single BB late fee, I have little sympathy for those who return movies late, then complain about a late fee.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page