Sony PlayStation 4 Pre-Launch Previews and Reviews - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kimeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Well, last night I went and drove by the local Best Buy and Walmart and was pretty shocked how small the crowd was outside the store at about 6:00pm. I remember when the PS3 and 360 came out there was a line around the building by noon.

I guess that is kind of a testament to the state of the economy. However, it didnt exactly go well for some who bought the console as some were reportedly robbed of their new game console at gun point here in town.
vilfrard likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

 

Steam: madbrayniak

Kimeran is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,268
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Well, last night I went and drove by the local Best Buy and Walmart and was pretty shocked how small the crowd was outside the store at about 6:00pm. I remember when the PS3 and 360 came out there was a line around the building by noon.

I guess that is kind of a testament to the state of the economy. However, it didnt exactly go well for some who bought the console as some were reportedly robbed of their new game console at gun point here in town.

Yikes, where about do you live?

Back when the PS3 came out, ordering stuff online was not nearly as common. Amazon was only a couple years old and it mainly sold books, Wal-mart did not do e-commerce at all. I think that's one of the reasons the lines were shorter this time around.

adidino and vilfrard like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #33 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kimeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yea that is something that I thought about too, I dont recall there being preorders and much online purchasing being done yet.

I live two hours north of Los Angeles in "the arm pit of CA" also known as Bakersfield. It is a town that seems to be getting more and more riddled with crime it seems.

I swear every weekend there is atleast one murder.
vilfrard likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

 

Steam: madbrayniak

Kimeran is offline  
post #34 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

As far as backwards compatibility goes, it's definitely not a conspiracy to force you into buying PS4 games, there's legitimate technical issues behind it. In every previous generation consoles were built with exotic architectures, and each successive generation has been more exotic than the last.  In order for the PS2 to maintain PS1 compatibility, they had to include core components of the PS1 in it.  In order for the PS3 to be backwards compatible, they needed to include hardware from both the PS2 and PS1 in it...which significantly contributed to the initial PS3's sticker shock and hulking dimensions.  At some point it just becomes unsustainable, and although it's lame that they couldn't completely carry it forward another generation - its time the band-aid got ripped off or else we'd be paying at least $100 more on both sides, and they'd be bigger and uglier (especially the PS4). The incoming generation is built with slightly modified PC components, and if there's another generation after this one, I'm sure it will be as well. So I wouldn't worry about backwards compatibility going forward.  

There are half-solutions on both sides though - Sony eventually plans to restore some of that functionality via directly streaming games from the cloud, but we'll see how well that works when it arrives next year. The xbox one has an HDMI in port, and there's nothing stopping you from connecting your xbox 360 (or ps3, ps4, whatever) to it.  Even though you'll still to keep the old console around and plugged in, it will integrate fairly well with the new UI. 

i wasn't really suggesting that it was a conspiracy, and that they actually had to disable something to make it not backwards compatible. but i would prefer they included the feature at extra expense. i remember when i first got the 360, which was still about 2-3yrs after launch, i was pissed that my xbox games didn't work in it. i was planning on selling the xbox to offset the cost of grabbing another controller or two.

if for nothing else, i'm surprised the software developers aren't pushing for this. last week bestbuy had some deal that could get COD:ghosts, and a couple other pretty new releases for free if you traded in a used game. basically they couldn't sell these games because everybody was waiting to buy them for the new console.

i just think it may help some earlier transitions. i'm a lot more likely to buy a ps4 this year if it can completely replace my ps3 and works with my ps3 software. but without that, i have to wait until there's more games, and it makes sense to buy ps4 games instead of ps3 games. honestly, for the next year, i'm probably still going to be buying ps3 games, which will delay my switch to ps4 even more, since i'll want to keep playing those games.

i can't say it's the 'right' decision financially, i have no idea. i'm just saying it's what I would prefer, and what I would need to buy the console soon.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #35 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Lol

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #36 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Scott_lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I agree with the general consensus that there is a lack of software to really drive sales. I, myself, am a serious gamer...when serious games are released. Receiving a Sega Genesis was the highlight of my childhood--primarily because I saw Sonic the Hedgehog at a buddy's house and couldn't get enough (don't get me started on Vector Man), and Sega Saturn's release had me begging people to let me mow their lawns so I could get enough funds together to purchase one. Why? Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA. Sega Dreamcast (notice a trend here?) saw me missing the first day of school to stand in line for retrieval of my pre-ordered unit along with Sonic Adventure and Ready 2 Rumble. The Xbox was my first non-Sega system which I purchased only for Halo--although I slowly grew to realize that other games existed for this system, and proceeded to purchase those as well. I also bought a Playstation 2 solely for Viewtiful Joe. I preordered the Xbox 360 and its release saw me extremely eager to play Call of Duty 2, as well as King Kong and Perfect Dark 2. I snagged a Playstation 3 later that year (which was unheard of) for Resistance: Fall of Man (The result of a chance question, two days before Christmas, to an Electronics Botique employee while waiting for my then-girlfreid to leave some store next door).

Xbox One......nothing. Playstation 4....nothing. For the first time since learning to write in cursive, I am not interested in the generational shift of gaming consoles. Why? No enticing software. if Destiny was a launch title for either system, I'd have them both pre-ordered already. If a truly unique single-player IP of interest (to me) was in the pipeline for either system, I'd be prepping to go stand in a line somewhere (like I did for the release of Skyfall a few years ago). Instead, I'm sitting in my theater with my consoles unused. Halo 4 is in my Xbox 360. and Uncharted 3 is in my Playstation 3. Those are the last great games of this generation...to me.

I'm waiting for Generation 8 to at least feign an effort in catalyzing true desire in gamers out there. I couldn't care less about the features in either system; most of us here on AVS have devices that will do everything these consoles can do, and can do it better. Kinect is the one exception, as the PC voice control hw/sw packages out there now are mediocre at best. To the software developers out there, please make our jaws drop at a game trailer again.

Just my four cents. Yes, four wink.gif.

Similar feelings here but only for PS4. I recall purchasing a PS3 at launch seven years ago: a 60GB for $600 (!). The only game that interested me was Resistance: Fall of Man. I was one of six people on planet Earth who didn't own a PS2 and ended up purchasing a bunch of great PS2 games that I was never able to play (e.g., Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and a few others). Eventually I purchased Metal Gear Solid IV (which was amazing!) and other Sony exclusives. Essentially, I played all cross-platform games on my 360 and only Sony exclusives on my PS3 (e.g., God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Killzone). The PS3 made for a wonderful blu-ray player as well. I thought about buying a PS4 last night but decided against it after realizing that the only PS4 exclusive game that I want to play in the near term is Killzone and that one game simply doesn't justify a $400 purchase for me. However, when the other AAA Sony exclusives are released count me in. For now, I'll stick with my Xbox One which I'm picking up next week and look forward to finishing GTA V (which is amazing!), Mass Effect 3, and the Last of Us.

Congrats to the Sony fans who picked up a PS4 last night!
Scott_lb is offline  
post #37 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGooch View Post


I got my XBox 360 Slim last year well, and I am catching up on games from 2007 to present that I missed out on. I'm glad that new consoles are coming out because that will push prices down on the last-gen games and hardware.

If I had to choose one of the new consoles, I think that I'd choose a PS4 because they seem to focused on what I care about - playing games. Plus I don't like devices watching me in the privacy of my own home.  There's also the $100 savings to consider ! 
PS4 certainly seems to be more gamer centric out of the box. As far as privacy concerns, where do we start. Cell phones, laptops, tablets are tracking and recording our whereabouts 24/7. Debit Cards and my grocery store discount cards track our purchasing habits. Even smart TVs come with cameras now- who is to say they’re not able to track and record usage? The Xbox Kinect camera concern is blown way out of proportion, considering how much privacy most US Citizens have already freely given away.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #38 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,268
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGooch View Post


I got my XBox 360 Slim last year well, and I am catching up on games from 2007 to present that I missed out on. I'm glad that new consoles are coming out because that will push prices down on the last-gen games and hardware.

If I had to choose one of the new consoles, I think that I'd choose a PS4 because they seem to focused on what I care about - playing games. Plus I don't like devices watching me in the privacy of my own home.  There's also the $100 savings to consider ! 
PS4 certainly seems to be more gamer centric out of the box. As far as privacy concerns, where do we start. Cell phones, laptops, tablets are tracking and recording our whereabouts 24/7. Debit Cards and my grocery store discount cards track our purchasing habits. Even smart TVs come with cameras now- who is to say they’re not able to track and record usage? The Xbox Kinect camera concern is blown way out of proportion, considering how much privacy most US Citizens have already freely given away.

To the point where I'm left thinking that Sony wants to keep the PS3 alive by allowing it to exclusively keep filling the role of the all-in-one media device that it ultimately evolved into. A PS3 is standard-issue gear at TV test labs, lauded to this day for the easy local playback of test patterns and clips it affords.

vilfrard and Cuda1169 like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #39 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

They destroyed xbox sales first 3 years .
It would be nice if we could leave the fanboy remarks out of this thread. Frankly, I'm not a fan of either company at this juncture and wouldn't be bothered if they both imploded.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #40 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Don't read or comment on thread then ... Does anyone really care that you'd like to see two companies fail ?
Save that crying for twitter .

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #41 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It would be nice if we could leave the fanboy remarks out of this thread. Frankly, I'm not a fan of either company at this juncture and wouldn't be bothered if they both imploded.
Gonna be hard to avoid fanboys in a thread like this. MS had a big blunder in the beginning with the 360 so the PS3 really kicked its but in first couple of years. But thanks to Xbox Gold subscribers like myself, Xbox was able to really build a great online service.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #42 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post


i wasn't really suggesting that it was a conspiracy, and that they actually had to disable something to make it not backwards compatible. but i would prefer they included the feature at extra expense. i remember when i first got the 360, which was still about 2-3yrs after launch, i was pissed that my xbox games didn't work in it. i was planning on selling the xbox to offset the cost of grabbing another controller or two.

if for nothing else, i'm surprised the software developers aren't pushing for this. last week bestbuy had some deal that could get COD:ghosts, and a couple other pretty new releases for free if you traded in a used game. basically they couldn't sell these games because everybody was waiting to buy them for the new console.

i just think it may help some earlier transitions. i'm a lot more likely to buy a ps4 this year if it can completely replace my ps3 and works with my ps3 software. but without that, i have to wait until there's more games, and it makes sense to buy ps4 games instead of ps3 games. honestly, for the next year, i'm probably still going to be buying ps3 games, which will delay my switch to ps4 even more, since i'll want to keep playing those games.

i can't say it's the 'right' decision financially, i have no idea. i'm just saying it's what I would prefer, and what I would need to buy the console soon.

 

Yeah, I'm with you...I'd have preferred it as well.  I'd also have prefered a slick metal enclosure, a hybrid SSD/HDD, and triple the performance, and I'd be willing to pay a solid $1000 for it.  But alas, it's a mass market device and they're doing everything they can to get the price down.


Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #43 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Administrator
 
Mike Lang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 11,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Don't get personal guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Mike Lang is offline  
post #44 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
speavler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
it's not all about the graphics. i still play NFL 2K5 on the orginal xbox more than anything else. Wish there was a baseball game half as fun as that one.
tlalotoani likes this.
speavler is offline  
post #45 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kimeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

it's not all about the graphics. i still play NFL 2K5 on the orginal xbox more than anything else. Wish there was a baseball game half as fun as that one.

I agree, I am playing Half Life 2 all over again at the moment on PC.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

 

Steam: madbrayniak

Kimeran is offline  
post #46 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Member
 
SubSolar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

it's not all about the graphics.

Going to be tough selling this point on AVSforum. Would be like expecting most members to have more Academy Award and Sundance Festival winners in their Blu-Ray collections than cheesy blockbuster action movies.

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
SubSolar is offline  
post #47 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
At these prices - graphics & gameplay should be expected at the highest standard ....

Lets also be cognizant that the gaming industry peaked ... Awhile ago .....

Give me the last " innovative " gaming idea ....

You know what it is ? Cellphone & tablet gaming .... The adult has now moved on From a box to mobile candy crush ....

Games software sales are down & GameStop just hanging on ....
Heck Best Buy is even clinging ....

How old is COD? Madden ? Etc ? Same crap with a few touchups ....

The Batman games have a following because they are so much different than your usual stuff .....

Xbox one simply isn't anywhere near as powerful or pretty as the ps4 .... It won't do 1080p as much as the PS4 will ....

But I applaud xbox for trying to become your goto hub @ home ....
vilfrard likes this.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #48 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Member
 
jmaccool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Indeed, that is a significant difference between the platforms. I have high hopes that Sony will allow UHD movie downloads from its (currently proprietary) online service.

I do still buy and watch 3D Blu-ray on my 55" Vizio, although since I recently went back to projection that urge has faded. Frankly that feature was not a big deal since my Blu-ray player already handles it. 3D on netflix via SuperHD was better than expected, I'm not sure i can stomach the $30 price of entry for 3D Blu-rays. However, 3D gaming on the PS4 might change all that—if it looks as good as my current gaming PC does.


I edited the last paragraph to reflect this discussion, which I agree is very important. When I get my hands on the PS4 and review it, I will focus on how it behaves in a home theater—because that's how I plan to use it a lot of the time.

I look forward to that seeing that when I buy one or more it will be going into the same place. Thanks.
jmaccool is offline  
post #49 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kimeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

At these prices - graphics & gameplay should be expected at the highest standard ....

Lets also be cognizant that the gaming industry peaked ... Awhile ago .....

Give me the last " innovative " gaming idea ....

You know what it is ? Cellphone & tablet gaming .... The adult has now moved on From a box to mobile candy crush ....

Games software sales are down & GameStop just hanging on ....
Heck Best Buy is even clinging ....

How old is COD? Madden ? Etc ? Same crap with a few touchups ....

The Batman games have a following because they are so much different than your usual stuff .....

Xbox one simply isn't anywhere near as powerful or pretty as the ps4 .... It won't do 1080p as much as the PS4 will ....

But I applaud xbox for trying to become your goto hub @ home ....

I ACCEPT your challenge:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Edit:

But for a game console I think having it very integrated into your entertainment system is very innovative myself personally. Being able to control everything through voice and scan your face to be in a game? That's pretty darn innovative.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

 

Steam: madbrayniak

Kimeran is offline  
post #50 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Don't read or comment on thread then ... Does anyone really care that you'd like to see two companies fail ?
Save that crying for twitter .
SHOULD anybody care that the PS3 outsold the Xbox in the beginning? Only Microsoft, I would suspect. Based on the final tally (equitable), such minutiae is meaningless. There are many, many reasons to avoid doing business with either company (but it's almost a futile effort if you're still into console gaming given their ubiquity). Twitter wouldn't provide anywhere near enough the space to delve into the reasons why.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #51 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I ACCEPT your challenge:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Edit:

But for a game console I think having it very integrated into your entertainment system is very innovative myself personally. Being able to control everything through voice and scan your face to be in a game? That's pretty darn innovative.
I gave them credit for innovation attempt...

Steam isn't mainstream nor is the idea of a full mask playing a game - thats dungeons n dragons herbville bro

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #52 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

80.000.000 PS3s are sold.


That is 80 million units worldwide vs 150 million PS2 units the generation before. They are going in the wrong direction. With the PS4 and the XB1 so underpowered, they will be lucky to reach 60 million units, before VR/AR/4K/3D gaming takes over.
sytech is offline  
post #53 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Member
 
guapote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

it's not all about the graphics. i still play NFL 2K5 on the orginal xbox more than anything else. Wish there was a baseball game half as fun as that one.

Best Baseball game ever was the first Earl Weaver Baseball sim that came out for the Amiga in the 1980's. I bought the Amiga just for that game and played it to death. Nothing comes close to
simming baseball. I wish somebody would re create it for one of these next gen platforms...
wreed likes this.
guapote is offline  
post #54 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
speavler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapote View Post

Best Baseball game ever was the first Earl Weaver Baseball sim that came out for the Amiga in the 1980's. I bought the Amiga just for that game and played it to death. Nothing comes close to
simming baseball. I wish somebody would re create it for one of these next gen platforms...

Baseball Stars for the nintendo was the best baseball game I've ever played, imo.
speavler is offline  
post #55 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

That is 80 million units worldwide vs 150 million PS2 units the generation before. They are going in the wrong direction. With the PS4 and the XB1 so underpowered, they will be lucky to reach 60 million units, before VR/AR/4K/3D gaming takes over.
PS4 is 4K & 3D ready - X1 is not....

and btw that's about half a decade away ....

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #56 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

At these prices - graphics & gameplay should be expected at the highest standard ....

Lets also be cognizant that the gaming industry peaked ... Awhile ago .....

Give me the last " innovative " gaming idea ....

You know what it is ? Cellphone & tablet gaming .... The adult has now moved on From a box to mobile candy crush ....

Games software sales are down & GameStop just hanging on ....
Heck Best Buy is even clinging ....

How old is COD? Madden ? Etc ? Same crap with a few touchups ....

The Batman games have a following because they are so much different than your usual stuff .....

Xbox one simply isn't anywhere near as powerful or pretty as the ps4 .... It won't do 1080p as much as the PS4 will ....

But I applaud xbox for trying to become your goto hub @ home ....

I agree with most of your points for sure. the gaming industry isn't what it used to be, and the fact that current consoles are basically already maxing out the capabilities of the a/v industry, there's not a ton of room for improvement. I mean we're basically waiting for 4k TV's before there's even a higher resolution display to use. I also agree that ms is being much more bold, and trying to make a lot more changes with their console. it's risky, and maybe it'll pay off. as long as they didn't try to implement anything they weren't able to perfect, it could be a really cool experience.

the one comment i'm not so sure about is the ps4 being way more powerful. from everything I've read, they seem to be pretty close. in fact if i'm not mistaken, they are using the same processor and GPU, just with slightly difference configurations. for sure the ps4 has the edge, but at this point is seems far more 'technically better' than 'practically better'. that is, the experienced performance is basically equal.
vinnie97 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #57 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
On my TV (Sony W900a) when the PS3 output certain games i would see 12bit on the info display.
I have the PS4 but it doesn't come up. There's also no superwhite option on the PS4.
There is an option of RGB Full and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr range.
So does this mean the PS4 doesn't support vxColor or Deep Color???
vilfrard likes this.
helvetica bold is offline  
post #58 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

On my TV (Sony W900a) when the PS3 output certain games i would see 12bit on the info display.
I have the PS4 but it doesn't come up. There's also no superwhite option on the PS4.
There is an option of RGB Full and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr range.
So does this mean the PS4 doesn't support vxColor or Deep Color???

 

No, it currently doesn't support extended color spaces, but no game or video content outside of Sony camcorders ever used it properly (so good riddance to a useless option). "Superwhite" is seemingly always enabled (as it should be.)


Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #59 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
darkedgex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Received mine today from Amazon (UPS guy helpfully just left it sitting on the porch, didn't even hear the doorbell).

Haven't done any gaming as of yet (honestly nothing super exciting out right now), but did the 1.50 update to try out the Blu-ray Disc playback functionality. Popped in the 2D disc from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (I'll note it again, I used the 2D disc, not either of the 3D discs), and went to play it (BTW, it didn't load a graphic/name for the disc as the PS3 does, it literally just said "Blu-ray Disc").

It said it couldn't play the disc. Specifically it said:
Quote:
Cannot play the disc.
(CE-35486-6)

So, back to the PS3 to watch tonights movie.

Thanks Sony!

PS: While I was aware the XMB interface of the PS3 was being retired, I was pleased with the interface on the PS4. Very intuitive, and seems to making "drilling down" into options a little more painless. Still think this device NEEDS media playback functionality equal to or better than what the PS3 offered (really, it's time for FLAC support, MKV support, and hopefully HEVC/4K support). Once you sell people on all these features (as Sony did with the PS3), it's going to be a tough sell for the PS4 just saying "I have better graphics, but I can't do anything my predecessor could do; I can't even play PS1 or PS2 games!".

Update
Went back to the PS4 later and tried Iron Man 3, and that disc worked just fine. The lack of a remote is kind of painful though. Still... must be something specific to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition.
vilfrard and billpan like this.

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
darkedgex is offline  
post #60 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 04:29 AM
Member
 
ffrcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A big no no from my perspective is no support for DLNA playback.

From Sony's blog post:

"Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.

*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities."

Linky

They basically got slammed by users and are considering an update to allow DLNA streaming.

Nice move Sony. Take away functionality that we have on the PS3.

Oops.
vilfrard likes this.
ffrcoupe is offline  
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U , Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off