post #61 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

No, it currently doesn't support extended color spaces, but no game or video content outside of Sony camcorders ever used it properly (so good riddance to a useless option). "Superwhite" is seemingly always enabled (as it should be.)

Well that's not true. Sony has a series of Blurays mastered in 4K that also feature x.v.Color. I saw This is the End and After Earth on my PS3.
Perhaps Sony will add xvColor support later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcoupe View Post

A big no no from my perspective is no support for DLNA playback.

From Sony's blog post:

"Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.

*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities."

Linky

They basically got slammed by users and are considering an update to allow DLNA streaming.

Nice move Sony. Take away functionality that we have on the PS3.

Oops.

Yeah I really don't get this move by Sony, it's the reason I don't have one in my setup right now, so ridiculously stupid. Oh and lets not forget it doesn't play audio CDs.... is this 1979?
vilfrard likes this.

post #63 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I'm thinking about this console for my son for Christmas. From what I'm hearing there are not many games available for it. I'm assuming in the coming weeks more will be released?
post #64 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received my PS4 from Amazon yesterday. I have the 1.5 firmware update. I had no problems playing a 2D Blu-ray disc. After setting my TV's HDMI input settings to be the same as those for the HDMI input my PS3 is plugged into, the picture quality seemed to be the same between the two consoles.

On the down side, the light on the back of the PS4 controller is easily seen as a reflection in the screen of my plasma TV. Sony has said that this cannot be turned off, so will be a problem while gaming.

It seems possible that the VUDU app does not stream at 1080p. In the Playstation Store description of the app, it says only 720p. After installing the app, I found that the "new trailers" section of the VUDU app did not offer HDX quality. Both my PS3 and my smart TV VUDU apps offer HDX "new trailers." The PS4 app does offer HDX rentals and purchases, but I have read elsewhere that HDX 720p is something that VUDU does, in addition to HDX at 1080p. Perhaps one of the streaming-technology experts in these forums can investigate this.
vilfrard likes this.
post #65 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech 

That is 80 million units worldwide vs 150 million PS2 units the generation before. They are going in the wrong direction. With the PS4 and the XB1 so underpowered, they will be lucky to reach 60 million units, before VR/AR/4K/3D gaming takes over.

Going from DVD (PS2) to Blu-ray,to 4K(PS3/PS4) = the right direction smile.gif
post #66 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksonts 

On the down side, the light on the back of the PS4 controller is easily seen as a reflection in the screen of my plasma TV. Sony has said that this cannot be turned off, so will be a problem while gaming.
You can use tape for that. Do not let stuff like that ruin you're gaming experience..
https://www.google.nl/search?q=tape&rls=com.microsoft:nl-NL:IE-SearchBox&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JI6HUtm1CrCM7Aaxr4DoCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1166&bih=702
post #67 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksonts View Post

That's actually a major drawback, escpecially since even LED's have been only getting more and more reflective over the past few years and quite honestly a moronic decision by Sony to not let us disable it.
vilfrard likes this.
post #68 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I'm thinking about this console for my son for Christmas. From what I'm hearing there are not many games available for it. I'm assuming in the coming weeks more will be released?

Me, too, but for twins. Anyone know about the game sit?

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #69 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Sancho, I found this online and it looks like it is going to be awhile for many of the popular games. My sons 17 and he's into call of duty and grand theft auto, amongst others. Honestly though this is a great present and the SAF (son approval factor) would be very high biggrin.gif

http://m.ign.com/games/upcoming/ps4
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #70 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Sancho, I found this online and it looks like it is going to be awhile for many of the popular games. My sons 17 and he's into call of duty and grand theft auto, amongst others. Honestly though this is a great present and the SAF (son approval factor) would be very high biggrin.gif

http://m.ign.com/games/upcoming/ps4

Thank you! Lee & Jackson are 7; so, I think will be easier to please.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #71 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you! Lee & Jackson are 7; so, I think will be easier to please.

I'm sure they will flip out! Good luck.
post #72 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Got ours yesterday. We've played resogun and knack so far. The one thing I've noticed is the game audio seems to be improved over the ps3 at least for these two games. LOTS of LFE, great sound. Resogun is a super fun update to Defender.
SanchoPanza likes this.

Looky here!
post #73 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Got ours yesterday. We've played resogun and knack so far. The one thing I've noticed is the game audio seems to be improved over the ps3 at least for these two games. LOTS of LFE, great sound. Resogun is a super fun update to Defender.

Great and congrats! Are the graphics noticeably better?
post #74 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Great and congrats! Are the graphics noticeably better?

Honestly, it's hard to tell at this point. We're not playing anything we can really use as a comparison. Knack looks very nice, but nothing spectacular. Resogun on the other had some really nice explody and gun effects. I'll be playing AC4 later and Flower later which should show the new graphics off better.

Looky here!
post #75 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Do any of the currently released games include secondary screen support yet with the ps4 iOS app? (example: Game play on your main screen, maps, weapons selections, etc.. on your iPad.) etc..

Something I read that would be possible with the PS4.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #76 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcoupe View Post

A big no no from my perspective is no support for DLNA playback.

From Sony's blog post:

"Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.

*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities."

Linky

They basically got slammed by users and are considering an update to allow DLNA streaming.

Nice move Sony. Take away functionality that we have on the PS3.

Oops.
I hate DLNA...much prefer the Oppo BD player for its expansive native file format playback and SMB functionality. I'm a little more old skool and prefer to browse directories.
post #77 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Honestly, it's hard to tell at this point. We're not playing anything we can really use as a comparison. Knack looks very nice, but nothing spectacular. Resogun on the other had some really nice explody and gun effects. I'll be playing AC4 later and Flower later which should show the new graphics off better.

Very cool, now I have to keep this a secret from my son, admittedly I'm really bad at that. Please post about your experiences I'm very interested thanks!
post #78 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 21
If I own a 720p HDTV, will ps4 scale down to 720p?. I can play 1080i if I need to

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
JBL Surrounds ES 20's
post #79 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I hate DLNA...much prefer the Oppo BD player for its expansive native file format playback and SMB functionality. I'm a little more old skool and prefer to browse directories.

I actually don't use my PS3 or would use a PS4 for DLNA playback. I use a WD TV Live for streaming from my NAS.

It's still a bonehead move on Sony's part especially since the XB1 is all about being the media center for your TV.
post #80 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10

Having just purchased this machine specifically for loading movies on the HD and watching at my leisure, I am greatly dissappointed in the news that this machine is less of a media center than the PS3.

Why in the world tSony would take two steps back from what the PS3 is in regards to media options is a little puzzling.

Mine is still in the box* so I haven't had the chance to check for myself. Will I really not be able to plug a thumb stick into the usb and play a movie from on this machine? I really hope I'm misunderstanding something here.

* The new theater room will be finished this coming thursday (along with delivery of a new Samsung 75") and I wanted to save the new console smell to go with the new TV smell.

EDIT:

Wow. Just researched some these issues myself and it appears as though I'll be returning this system due to it's lack of home theater capabilites. Pretty bummed.

post #81 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Just researched some these issues myself and it appears as though I'll be returning this system due to it's lack of home theater capabilites. Pretty bummed.

I'm pretty disappointed, too. This is the first generation of consoles I can remember where I wasn't completely excited about the launch. I've been a console gamer up to this point, but honestly my mid range PC outmuscles both new systems by a long shot. Yes, it was more expensive, but getting 1080p 60fps with custom resolutions for my 21:9 setup is just awesome. Sony and M$ are going to have to work some serious magic in order to convince me to buy.

post #82 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth1 View Post

Having just purchased this machine specifically for loading movies on the HD and watching at my leisure, I am greatly dissappointed in the news that this machine is less of a media center than the PS3.

Why in the world tSony would take two steps back from what the PS3 is in regards to media options is a little puzzling.

Mine is still in the box* so I haven't had the chance to check for myself. Will I really not be able to plug a thumb stick into the usb and play a movie from on this machine? I really hope I'm misunderstanding something here.

* The new theater room will be finished this coming thursday (along with delivery of a new Samsung 75") and I wanted to save the new console smell to go with the new TV smell.

EDIT:
Wow. Just researched some these issues myself and it appears as though I'll be returning this system due to it's lack of home theater capabilites. Pretty bummed.

I understand your frustration with the backwards movement, but i'm curious why if playing media was the number one reason for buying the ps4, you didn't just buy a media box(or decent bd player, or build a net box...)

it just seems like pretty soon you'll be able to stream videos off your watch, everything is able to do this now. so spending 400bux on a ps4 to get this feature seems like a big expense. if you bought the ps4 to play games, the lack of media playback shouldn't be a deal breaker.

to be honest, i'm not sure what new Samsung tv you're buying that wouldn't be able to play movies off a usb all by itself???

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #83 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Have to agree with Fierce on this one. Not sure why one would purchase the PS4 if your primary goal is movie file playback. A Dune would be better suited and cost much less.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #84 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What kinda loser buys a ps4 or a high end tv for that matter and inserts a mem stick to watch pictures ,?

Wtf is a dlna server btw. ????

You get a ps4 you put games In - you watch blu rays - you watch Netflix ....

Holy S dude .... " um yeah there's no mkv playback or catv audio or satd support "

???? Wtf does that even mean ???

You put call of duty in - you run around -,you're happy ... That's a game system

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #85 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My buddy gave me his Porsche - I said keep it .... No CD player ??? I mean really how could they ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #86 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^LoL. What kinda loser thinks Wrastlin' is REAL? ;-)

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #87 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

What kinda loser buys a ps4 or a high end tv for that matter and inserts a mem stick to watch pictures ,?

Holy S dude .... " um yeah there's no mkv playback or catv audio or satd support "

You put call of duty in - you run around -,you're happy ... That's a game system
Not sure if serious...but some gamers have become spoiled by all-in-one home theater solutions.
post #88 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

I gave them credit for innovation attempt...

Steam isn't mainstream nor is the idea of a full mask playing a game - thats dungeons n dragons herbville bro

Haha, well I am a self proclaimed nerd. But I have not played dungeons and dragons....but I dont know anyone who does. There ARE alot of games I want to check out though that is on sitdownandshutup.com some look flat out nerdtastic!

I will simply disagree with you on the innovations that have been coming out as games like Planetary Annihilation, Star Citizen, and The Division keep me gaming.

Games like COD bore me....every one is the same with maybe a few extra weapon tweaks for multiplayer...whoopie.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #89 of 155 Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Not sure if serious...but some gamers have become spoiled by all-in-one home theater solutions.

Guilty! I have to decide on a game console or bluray player....but I prefer to have one that is universal for my SACD so it looks like I may be going to an Oppo.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #90 of 155 Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I'm going to assume you're around 12 years old or you haven't yet reached maturity despite your age otherwise you wouldn't be making these inappropriate comments. The PS3 has a lot of functions that the PS4 currently doesn't have. That makes some people pissed off and rightfully so. Just because you don't understand what an .mkv file is, doesn't make it invalid - it just makes you uneducated. And, yes, a next gen system is expected to be more than just a "plug in a COD game and play" system. Sony needs to get their $h!t together if they expect people to adopt their new system.
darkedgex and billpan like this.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U , Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page