Sony PlayStation 4 Pre-Launch Previews and Reviews - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 2245

Sony's next-generation console—the PlayStation 4—is now on sale. Despite Nintendo's best effort to sell the Wii-U as a next generation platform, in my opinion November 15, 2013 marks the true beginning of the eighth generation of console gaming.

I thought it would be fun to peruse a number of early reviews and articles about Sony's new system and the console war that is sure to follow. I'm also happy to see South Park address the launch in a timely fashion in the latest episode titled "Black Friday." The seventh-gen platforms enjoyed a remarkable 7+ year run, and now the two heavy-hitters in the industry introduce their new eighth-gen platforms a mere one week apart. Surely the future of gaming is looking bright.

When it comes to non-gaming uses, so far the PS4 is not getting the kind of love that the Xbox is enjoying. From voice control, to its stereo rack-friendly design, and the inclusion of HDMI-in, Microsoft's console is an ambitious effort to take over the living room. However, Sony's PS3 evolved into one of the most flexible platforms for video playback—it's still a great choice for Blu-ray and streaming video—and there's no reason to believe the PS4 won’t follow in that tradition.

Without further ado, here's a brief roundup of what I've been reading online regarding the PS4

Polygon published a slick-looking review that gave the PS4 a numerical rating of 7.5/10, citing a lack of available software to back up the impressive hardware. The review itself is something to see, Polygon debuted a new format that is visually striking, interactive, and all around very impressive.

Quote:
"the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software. That failing is sure to improve — better games and more of them will appear on the PlayStation 4 — but right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it." – Polygon.com

image from polygon.com

CNET praised the system's design, including the new DualShock 4 controller. A lack of launch-day titles dampens the initial enthusiasm. The machine is pegged as the more affordable, more powerful, but perhaps less capable next-gen console—as compared to the Xbox One. Ultimately, CNET awarded three and a half stars (out of five) to the new console.

Quote:
"Both new consoles arrive with their own marketing spin designed to claim the gaming throne: at $400, the PS4 is the “affordable” next-gen machine, whereas the $500 Xbox One promises an ambitious, always-on integration with live TV that aims to subsume your cable box." – CNET

Quote:
"The bottom line: The PlayStation 4's beautiful graphics, blazing interface, and near-perfect controller make it a worthy successor to the PS3, but it would be wise to wait for more titles and features before you buy." - CNET

Sony's new DualShock 4 controller repeatedly earned praise for its improved design

The Verge (among others) published an article about last night's episode of South Park. The show toyed with the idea of a PS4 vs. Xbox One divide, pointing out that groups of friends have to choose one platform or the other, if they wish to play together online. The insults fly, culminating in Cartman's declaration "Let these Sony f***s wallow in their limited voice control functionality." Good stuff, if you are a fan of the show.

Quote:
"Stan and Kyle share an emotional exchange over the benefits of each console. "Stan, the PS4 doesn't have the seamless transition between games, movies and TV offered by Xbox One," explains Kyle, before Stan promotes the benefits of the PS4 touchpad interface." – The Verge

Stan Marsh fights for PS4 dominance

The Verge also published an early review of the PS4 system. Noting that the day one update—which enables online connectivity—is essentially brand new, the author still manages to get a feel for what the system offers. The review touches on remote play using a PS Vita, "it just works," and there is praise for the quality of the graphics as well as the design of the new DualShock 4 controller

Quote:
"At first glance, it feels like Sony's gone a long way toward fixing what ailed the PS3, and toward enabling a much better and more impressive gaming experience going forward. It doesn't feel ambitious like the Xbox One, but it feels like a really solid gaming console." - The Verge

Update: The Verge published a full PS4 review. Home theater junkies will probably not be pleased...

Quote:

"As if to fully prove its point that the PS4 is a gaming machine and not a media receiver or a home theater PC, Sony's actually stripped away the local playback functionality that was so useful on the PS3 (though the company may be changing its tune on that to some extent). Even when I plugged in a Sony camera, I couldn’t access its pictures or video. It feels like overkill: why needlessly remove useful functionality from such a powerful, versatile machine?

The answer, right or wrong, is obvious: Because it's not about games. And the PS4 is all about games." source: The Verge

IGN writes about a couple of incidents where hardware issues plagued pre-release PS4s, including one its own sample units. The issue appears to be related to the HDMI output in some way, and might have been triggered by a firmware update.

Quote:
"A representative was able visit and replace our broken PS4 with the goal of getting their hands on the seemingly faulty console and returning it for technical investigation. We should note, this retail system is a critical part of our ongoing review and launch coverage. We know what you’re thinking by now: IGN got its system replaced and this poor consumer didn't." – IGN

IGN also reviewed the South Park episode, awarding it a score of 8.7 out of 10. 

Quote:
"Cleverly fusing elements of the Next-Gen Console War with HBO's Game of Thrones, "Black Friday" was easily one of the best South Park episodes we've seen in Season 17." - IGN

IGN enjoyed South Park's take on the console wars

Engadget's Ben Gilbert discusses his first 48 hours with Sony's new machine. He finds a lot to like, and the new DualShock 4 once again emerges as a highlight of the new system. He also found that the graphics look great, stating that "the games we've played on the PlayStation 4 so far are gorgeous."

Quote:
"Allow me to switch to the first-person for a moment, folks -- I love the DualShock 4. It's a very comfortable controller, and as stated earlier, the best of its kind. The blunt changes are obvious." - Engadget

Personally, I'm looking forward to both the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One. I have plans to buy the PS4 this year, and an Xbox early next year. I'm personally glad to see the PS4 support 3D playback, and I'm baffled by its exclusion on the Xbox One. I'm also enthused about the PS4's promise of support for 4K/UHD streaming—there is a real need for an affordable UHD streaming device that works on all UHDTVs and I hope the PS4 fits the bill. After all, Netflix plans to roll out UHD streaming in the near future.

I'm curious, is anyone planning on picking up a PS4 tonight at midnight tonight? Are you considering buying into both platforms? Do you think a "wait and see" approach more appropriate at this point? Please, chime in…

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
What about 4K and 3D? From what i understand Xbox One will not support 4K+3D while PS4 eventually will support 4K+3D.

PS4 USER's GUIDE -

(no Xbox One manual yet)
post #3 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

What about 4K and 3D? From what i understand Xbox One will not support 4K+3D while PS4 eventually will support 4K+3D.

PS4 USER's GUIDE -

(no Xbox One manual yet)

Indeed, that is a significant difference between the platforms. I have high hopes that Sony will allow UHD movie downloads from its (currently proprietary) online service.

I do still buy and watch 3D Blu-ray on my 55" Vizio, although since I recently went back to projection that urge has faded. Frankly that feature was not a big deal since my Blu-ray player already handles it. 3D on netflix via SuperHD was better than expected, I'm not sure i can stomach the $30 price of entry for 3D Blu-rays. However, 3D gaming on the PS4 might change all that—if it looks as good as my current gaming PC does.

I edited the last paragraph to reflect this discussion, which I agree is very important. When I get my hands on the PS4 and review it, I will focus on how it behaves in a home theater—because that's how I plan to use it a lot of the time.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:

PS4 USER's GUIDE -

(no Xbox One manual yet)

Both are technically capable of supporting 4K and 3D, although the devil is in the details.

Even though neither apparently support 3D blu-rays out of the box, I think it's safe to assume that feature will be added before too long.

Both also support 3D gaming, but developers don't seem too keen on implementing it at the moment. There's at least one 3D game on PS4 at launch (Trine 2), possibly more (AC IV and COD:Ghosts, unclear for now). There are no 3D games on the xbox one that I know of at the moment.  As for which will eventually be the better 3D gaming platform in the end, there's no question that the PS4's superior graphics hardware gives it a distinct edge. I'm personally a little disappointed at the lack of 3D titles at the moment, but developers are waiting for more gamers to loudly and clearly demand 3D support - the general gaming community seems to really despise 3D games.

As far as 4K goes, again, both system are perfectly capable of 4K video - there's just no content out there yet, and bandwidth is still a major issue. They'll be ready and waiting for that to catch up, I'm sure both will evolve to become excellent 4K streamers in due time, although Sony will probably get there first.

4K games are a different story. Both theoretically can support it, but rendering at a true 4K resolution is so outrageously demanding that it's just not realistic to expect any "true" 4K games.  Xbox one games are struggling to reach higher than 720p at the moment, 4K places eight times the burden on the hardware as 720p.  It's just not realistic, unless you want to play your games at 3 frames per second. There may eventually be exceptions - very basic looking games can probably swing it. There's also the potential to render the games somewhere between 1080p and 2160p and upscale from there - so not true 4k, but better than 1080p.  And I think it's likely that advanced scaling algorithms will be able to use the extra pixels in a clever way even if it's not rendered at true 4K. Again, the more powerful graphics processor in the PS4 gives it an edge in a theoretical sense, but the fact remains that neither system is powerful enough to render games at 4K in any meaningful way.

imagic likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #5 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Sony is supposedly making a big PS4 announcement tonight. Maybe Sony's big news is that the PS4 will be the world's first 4K blu-ray player. It already has the BDXL drive that can read the new 3 layer 100GB 4K disc and has the GPU power to decode the new HEVC h.265 codec.
post #6 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
PS4 is not equipped with HDMI 2.0 correct?

post #7 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Sony is supposedly making a big PS4 announcement tonight. Maybe Sony's big news is that the PS4 will be the world's first 4K blu-ray player. It already has the BDXL drive that can read the new 3 layer 100GB 4K disc and has the GPU power to decode the new HEVC h.265 codec.

As of right now, the PS4 doesnt support BDXL. Perhaps all that's needed is a firmware update, time will tell.  h.265 should be a snap though...at the very least it'll eventually make a killer 4k streamer.

post #8 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

PS4 is not equipped with HDMI 2.0 correct?

They haven't stated what version it is, although I don't think the HDMI folks even allow that anyway. I have a pretty good feeling it'll support a lot of HDMI 2.0 features.

post #9 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

They haven't stated what version it is, although I don't think the HDMI folks even allow that anyway. I have a pretty good feeling it'll support a lot of HDMI 2.0 features.
My ps3 supports hdmi 1.4 when connected to my 42" vizio smart 3d tv and to my yamaha rx 473 5.1 hd audio reciever. According to IGN's ps4 coverage, the ps4 doesn't play bluray 3d movies just yet...maybe in a future update....also early models such as those won by winners of the taco bell ps4 are complaining about system issues. This is common for new consoles.
post #10 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have read a few reports of consoles being DOA with those that got some early models. For those that made preorders I hope this isnt a wide spread problem.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #11 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

PS4 USER's GUIDE -

(no Xbox One manual yet)

Sony sells TV's right? smile.gif

Only makes sense that they will support both 4K+3D. I am hoping sooner rather then later since my 3D player doesn't seem to be working that well and I was hoping the PS4 would be replace it.

post #12 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I have read a few reports of consoles being DOA with those that got some early models. For those that made preorders I hope this isnt a wide spread problem.

I hope it's an isolated issue. We will find out tomorrow when millions are delivered and plugged in.

post #13 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 798
i'm definitely playing the wait and see game. I still find the current gen consoles 'good enough' and don't need to fix what isn't broken(yet)

the other major reason, is that i'm an xbox fan, and to be quite frank, the xbox one scares the heck out of me. i'm worried it's going to be nearly useless without online services, and I want nothing to do with mandatory paid services. most of the 'cool' features, seem like they will be hit or miss if they will actually work. I have, for example, a cable company that is extremely protective of its content. to the point that not even tv tuners can receive and decode the signal. about a year ago, they changed their service, and now only their cable boxes work. I used to be able to record shows and stuff on my HTPC, now, I get like 3 channels and that's it. so i'm concerned this may be the case with the xbox one as well, and that it may not cooperate well with my cable box(I know trying to get my HTPC to change channels on the cable box was more hassle than it was worth and I gave up).

in short, the xbox is definitely pushing the limits more, and trying to do some cool things. but it's also making gaming WAY more complicated than it needs to be, and i'm positive the ps4 will reliably do what I need it to. unfortunately, I don't know if the ps4 will have the game content I want, or controllers that don't hurt my hands. I need to test out the new controllers, and maybe see some of my favourite xbox exclusives no longer be exclusives.

so, i'm going to let other test the waters on these new consoles. see what works, see what doesn't, and wait for a larger game library before I decide which console has more games I want to play.

as for 3D gaming, what i'd like to see(it kind of fits in here) is more support through the hardware for 'full split screen' ability. I don't know how/if it could work without different glasses, but I have to say that for the TV's that have that option, I think that's the only way i'd ever use 3D features. if they can make the ps4/xbox one do this instead of the tv, that would be a huge deal. they might have to sell their own brand of 'split screen glasses', but it should be a viable, and useful product to buy for any active 3D tv. I think?
TheeGooch likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #14 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I paid off my pre-order and picked up a couple games and an extra controller a few days ago and will be picking up my PS4 tonight, very excited to see it. I will probably hold off on the Xbox One for a while, I hardly use my 360 so not much motivation there at the moment. I am surprised the PS4 will not play 3D blu-rays out of the box when that feature has been available on the PS3 for quite some time; that is disappointing as I was hoping to move my PS3 and put the PS4 in the rack right away. I hope the Logitech IR to Bluetooth module works for the PS4, it makes for an easy way to control it within my automation system. From the limited time I've had the controller, it seems very comfortable, we will see how it is after hours of gaming.
post #15 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i'm definitely playing the wait and see game. I still find the current gen consoles 'good enough' and don't need to fix what isn't broken(yet)

the other major reason, is that i'm an xbox fan, and to be quite frank, the xbox one scares the heck out of me. i'm worried it's going to be nearly useless without online services, and I want nothing to do with mandatory paid services. most of the 'cool' features, seem like they will be hit or miss if they will actually work. I have, for example, a cable company that is extremely protective of its content. to the point that not even tv tuners can receive and decode the signal. about a year ago, they changed their service, and now only their cable boxes work. I used to be able to record shows and stuff on my HTPC, now, I get like 3 channels and that's it. so i'm concerned this may be the case with the xbox one as well, and that it may not cooperate well with my cable box(I know trying to get my HTPC to change channels on the cable box was more hassle than it was worth and I gave up).

in short, the xbox is definitely pushing the limits more, and trying to do some cool things. but it's also making gaming WAY more complicated than it needs to be, and i'm positive the ps4 will reliably do what I need it to. unfortunately, I don't know if the ps4 will have the game content I want, or controllers that don't hurt my hands. I need to test out the new controllers, and maybe see some of my favourite xbox exclusives no longer be exclusives.

so, i'm going to let other test the waters on these new consoles. see what works, see what doesn't, and wait for a larger game library before I decide which console has more games I want to play.

as for 3D gaming, what i'd like to see(it kind of fits in here) is more support through the hardware for 'full split screen' ability. I don't know how/if it could work without different glasses, but I have to say that for the TV's that have that option, I think that's the only way i'd ever use 3D features. if they can make the ps4/xbox one do this instead of the tv, that would be a huge deal. they might have to sell their own brand of 'split screen glasses', but it should be a viable, and useful product to buy for any active 3D tv. I think?

If there's any one thing that's getting universal praise, it's the dual shock 4.  I used it for some time, and it truly is a radical improvement over the PS3 controller. The triggers feel excellent, better than the Xbox 360 controller. It's feels bigger, sticks are much further apart, tighter, have a nice concave dimple, a good rubbery texture and the dead zone is almost entirely gone. It's just as comfortable as the 360 controller if not more so, plus it's much lighter and there's no need to swap batteries. I guarantee it won't hurt your hands, they've gone back to the drawing board and answered every criticism about the dual shock 3. It's damn near the perfect controller, certainly the best I've ever held. I personally would have preferred if the sticks were as loose as the DS3, but I can live with it.

post #16 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 99
Overall I think waiting till early next year is everyone's best bet and will allow to see which is superior as far as a system as a whole and for multi platform. I think exclusives will be dominate for ps4 as they always were on ps4.

IMO I love both companies and yes PC people we know you runs different league so do us a favor and stay there we don't want PC or we would buy it. Anyway I think Xbone is more futuristic with features and it's interaction with the user and sony knows what gamers want. Great games with a nice amount of features. We just have to wait and see who owns the multi platform realm but probably won't get a better idea until early next year or summertime
TheeGooch likes this.
post #17 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Liked: 20
Same here. I m waiting, and no rush on buying a new console. Since I just got a 360 slim a year ago. Most gamers care about eye candy...
TheeGooch likes this.

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
JBL Surrounds ES 20's
post #18 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
actually as of right now neither next gen console will support 3d out of the box. kind of strange I think. also interesting is that as far as I knew the ps4 isn't able to support 4k out of box either while the xboxone is targeting it as a goal by advertising the hdmi cable included with the console as 4k ready. a lot will change during the next couple years and feature will be added changed and maybe even removed. will be interesting no doubt. also I don't think either console will ever support games in 4k it will continue to be a struggle to hit 1080p. possibly upconvert to 4k? also im sure each company has plans to add 4k streaming or disc based support if possible. whichever happens to be the medium of choice by the majority of the adopting consumers.
post #19 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 206
My PS3 is still going strong so I'm sitting this one out for a while. I'm just happy because the new consoles mean I can finally get an Xbox 360 at a good price.
PcGeek626 likes this.

post #20 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post

Same here. I m waiting, and no rush on buying a new console. Since I just got a 360 slim a year ago. Most gamers care about eye candy...

I got my XBox 360 Slim last year well, and I am catching up on games from 2007 to present that I missed out on. I'm glad that new consoles are coming out because that will push prices down on the last-gen games and hardware.

If I had to choose one of the new consoles, I think that I'd choose a PS4 because they seem to focused on what I care about - playing games. Plus I don't like devices watching me in the privacy of my own home.  There's also the $100 savings to consider ! 

PcGeek626 likes this.
post #21 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If there's any one thing that's getting universal praise, it's the dual shock 4.  I used it for some time, and it truly is a radical improvement over the PS3 controller. The triggers feel excellent, better than the Xbox 360 controller. It's feels bigger, sticks are much further apart, tighter, have a nice concave dimple, a good rubbery texture and the dead zone is almost entirely gone. It's just as comfortable as the 360 controller if not more so, plus it's much lighter and there's no need to swap batteries. I guarantee it won't hurt your hands, they've gone back to the drawing board and answered every criticism about the dual shock 3. It's damn near the perfect controller, certainly the best I've ever held. I personally would have preferred if the sticks were as loose as the DS3, but I can live with it.

I hope so, but it's definitely something I need to try first. the old ps controllers are literally unusable for me for some reason. if the DS4 solve the issue, it should be a no brainer for me, but i'm not so anxious to get either system that i'm willing to risk anything at this point. i'll let some friends buy it first, try playing for an hour or so, and see what's what.

on the topic of disappointing omissions though, why do they never make anything backwards compatible anymore? I mean honestly, i'd probably trade in my ps3 for a ps4 a year earlier(like maybe even now) if it would play the games I already own. I just don't have the room for all these consoles as the same time, and i'm not ready to throw away my current games/consoles for the new, unproven consoles with tiny game libraries.

post #22 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I agree with the general consensus that there is a lack of software to really drive sales. I, myself, am a serious gamer...when serious games are released. Receiving a Sega Genesis was the highlight of my childhood--primarily because I saw Sonic the Hedgehog at a buddy's house and couldn't get enough (don't get me started on Vector Man), and Sega Saturn's release had me begging people to let me mow their lawns so I could get enough funds together to purchase one. Why? Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA. Sega Dreamcast (notice a trend here?) saw me missing the first day of school to stand in line for retrieval of my pre-ordered unit along with Sonic Adventure and Ready 2 Rumble. The Xbox was my first non-Sega system which I purchased only for Halo--although I slowly grew to realize that other games existed for this system, and proceeded to purchase those as well. I also bought a Playstation 2 solely for Viewtiful Joe. I preordered the Xbox 360 and its release saw me extremely eager to play Call of Duty 2, as well as King Kong and Perfect Dark 2. I snagged a Playstation 3 later that year (which was unheard of) for Resistance: Fall of Man (The result of a chance question, two days before Christmas, to an Electronics Botique employee while waiting for my then-girlfreid to leave some store next door).

Xbox One......nothing. Playstation 4....nothing. For the first time since learning to write in cursive, I am not interested in the generational shift of gaming consoles. Why? No enticing software. if Destiny was a launch title for either system, I'd have them both pre-ordered already. If a truly unique single-player IP of interest (to me) was in the pipeline for either system, I'd be prepping to go stand in a line somewhere (like I did for the release of Skyfall a few years ago). Instead, I'm sitting in my theater with my consoles unused. Halo 4 is in my Xbox 360. and Uncharted 3 is in my Playstation 3. Those are the last great games of this generation...to me.

I'm waiting for Generation 8 to at least feign an effort in catalyzing true desire in gamers out there. I couldn't care less about the features in either system; most of us here on AVS have devices that will do everything these consoles can do, and can do it better. Kinect is the one exception, as the PC voice control hw/sw packages out there now are mediocre at best. To the software developers out there, please make our jaws drop at a game trailer again.

Just my four cents. Yes, four wink.gif.
MPresseau likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #23 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I love all of the "hopes and dreams" in this thread as we all wait and see (and many people, speculate) on what will actually be functional at launch.

I am currently buying neither. At least for a little while. I mean, why would someone buy a car that has 3 cylinders disabled, A/C that can't be turned on (yet), and only gets 12 mpg? I know that I am talking to the WRONG crowd here, and you are all entitled to be excited about half-baked launches, but dang. Give me the functions and the features before I give you my money. Oh, and some games would be nice (as far as the PS4 goes anyway). I guess it has a comfortable steering wheel at least. rolleyes.gif
vilfrard likes this.

- Nick Buol

post #24 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I love all of the "hopes and dreams" in this thread as we all wait and see (and many people, speculate) on what will actually be functional at launch.

I am currently buying neither. At least for a little while. I mean, why would someone buy a car that has 3 cylinders disabled, A/C that can't be turned on (yet), and only gets 12 mpg? I know that I am talking to the WRONG crowd here, and you are all entitled to be excited about half-baked launches, but dang. Give me the functions and the features before I give you my money. Oh, and some games would be nice (as far as the PS4 goes anyway). I guess it has a comfortable steering wheel at least. rolleyes.gif

don't forget it run on hydrogen, which hasn't quite been made available to you yet...

I bought the ps3 for twisted metal, and a bluray player.

maybe some 4k streaming will be the catalyst to make us 'wait and see'ers' buy one. but even then, how many of us will have 4k displays? I just think it's bad timing for a release. it's right before the next major upgrade in video standards. even as it's being launched, ppl are wanted 4k support. at least when the 360 and ps3 came out, 720p and hdmi inputs were pretty cutting edge stuff. could you imagine still using dvi or component video cables with the ps3?

post #25 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I hope so, but it's definitely something I need to try first. the old ps controllers are literally unusable for me for some reason. if the DS4 solve the issue, it should be a no brainer for me, but i'm not so anxious to get either system that i'm willing to risk anything at this point. i'll let some friends buy it first, try playing for an hour or so, and see what's what.

on the topic of disappointing omissions though, why do they never make anything backwards compatible anymore? I mean honestly, i'd probably trade in my ps3 for a ps4 a year earlier(like maybe even now) if it would play the games I already own. I just don't have the room for all these consoles as the same time, and i'm not ready to throw away my current games/consoles for the new, unproven consoles with tiny game libraries.

As far as backwards compatibility goes, it's definitely not a conspiracy to force you into buying PS4 games, there's legitimate technical issues behind it. In every previous generation consoles were built with exotic architectures, and each successive generation has been more exotic than the last.  In order for the PS2 to maintain PS1 compatibility, they had to include core components of the PS1 in it.  In order for the PS3 to be backwards compatible, they needed to include hardware from both the PS2 and PS1 in it...which significantly contributed to the initial PS3's sticker shock and hulking dimensions.  At some point it just becomes unsustainable, and although it's lame that they couldn't completely carry it forward another generation - its time the band-aid got ripped off or else we'd be paying at least $100 more on both sides, and they'd be bigger and uglier (especially the PS4). The incoming generation is built with slightly modified PC components, and if there's another generation after this one, I'm sure it will be as well. So I wouldn't worry about backwards compatibility going forward.  

There are half-solutions on both sides though - Sony eventually plans to restore some of that functionality via directly streaming games from the cloud, but we'll see how well that works when it arrives next year. The xbox one has an HDMI in port, and there's nothing stopping you from connecting your xbox 360 (or ps3, ps4, whatever) to it.  Even though you'll still to keep the old console around and plugged in, it will integrate fairly well with the new UI. 

vilfrard likes this.

post #26 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post

Sony sells TV's right? smile.gif

They make them, but it's hard to say they actually sell. Just like their game consoles after PS2.
post #27 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

They make them, but it's hard to say they actually sell. Just like their game consoles after PS2.
They destroyed xbox sales first 3 years .

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #28 of 155 Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just got my PS4 - played FIFA - Simply stunning - fluid - best controller ever ....by a mile plus ....

Lack of Super must have game is a let down but I also blame software companies ...couldn't they just wait to release COD Ghosts tonight for both 3&4 and 360 and one etc?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #29 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I reckon it's good that 4K streaming capabilities are included. But quality of streaming/bandwidth remains to realistically be seen.

And the obvious conscious decision by Sony amd (especially) Microsoft not to include hardware capable of 4K gaming is a major clue as to they know themselves that uptake on this is going to be slow/years.

In other words we can be comfortable in the fact that the PS5 etc will be capable.

Not just the fact that uptake of 4K was going to be slow as well they knew, but the added cost of 4K capable hardware for the gaming sides of things would have of course bumped up the original RRP by not an insignificant margin. That coupled with the major development costs to developers and no display hardware to speak of out there globally in people's homes speaks volumes.

But come on native 1080P 30/60fps is superb coming from 'sometimes' upscalled 640P on the "last gen" consoles. and once the developers outside of Microsoft studios get used the hardware by allocating this and that here and there we will surely see more of this also for the ONE too although of course on paper it isn't such a powerhouse as the PS4.

Personally I want both.
post #30 of 155 Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect 

80.000.000 PS3s are sold.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U , Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page