Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

That is a very common thing for a company to do and thus does not come as a surprise at all. Now if sony was making a profit per sale that would be a surprise.
Plus, they should offset the hardware cost with licensing fees and royalties on the software. In addition, the hardware will probably make money eventually. It took the PS3 four years to do it but it's been profitable for Sony ever since.
post #33 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Plus, they should offset the hardware cost with licensing fees and royalties on the software. In addition, the hardware will probably make money eventually. It took the PS3 four years to do it but it's been profitable for Sony ever since.

Indeed, that is how it is usually done.
post #34 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

One advantage that xbox one has is 4k support for games. The ps4 can output 4k but only for photos and movies.

That's just a decision that Sony have made. The console is capable of rendering games at 4K but in order to get good framerates those games would need to be graphically much simpler (in terms of shaders, lighting effects etc) than a typical 8th gen game.

There is no reason to make this graphical compromise when 99.9% of customers have 1080p displays or below. In addition it would be limited to 30Hz which is fine for photo and 24fps movies but quite a limiting factor for games.

In fact I would bet good money that some simple 4K games will be shown in future tradeshows, but purely to demo Sony 4K TVs rather than to demo the console. Think about the Gran Turismo 4K demo - it required 4 PS3s to work. Something with a similar graphical level could likely run on a single PS4 at 30Hz if they wanted.
post #35 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

FOR EVERY PS4 SOLD, SONY WILL BE LOSING MONEY
http://www.geek.com/games/sony-will-sell-every-ps4-at-a-loss-but-easily-recoup-it-in-games-ps-plus-sales-1571335/

NO KIDDING, THATS THE BUSINESS MODEL OF GAME CONSOLES

The surprising thing is the the amount of the loss, which is only $40-50 due to a +$18 component spread. When they sell these things in other countries they'll most likely be eking out a tiny profit on each sale. Then comes hardware revisions and economies of scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

One advantage that xbox one has is 4k support for games. The ps4 can output 4k but only for photos and movies.

There's nothing technical holding them back, and I'm guessing some Indy games will make use of 4K eventually. AAA Games, even on XBox? Not if they want to sell.

Rending 300% more pixels is no small feat, and major games would take major hits in other areas (complexity, AI, texture resolution, shader effects, ect) not making the trade off worth it. Thats not even accounting the number of people with setups that would even take advantage of 4K (large screen, optimal viewing distances).
post #36 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie 
That is a very common thing for a company to do and thus does not come as a surprise at all. Now if sony was making a profit per sale that would be a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantI 

NO KIDDING, THATS THE BUSINESS MODEL OF GAME CONSOLES

This is barely mentioned. Most people do not know this. cynical responce wink.gif ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII 
The surprising thing is the the amount of the loss, which is only $40-50 due to a +$18 component spread. When they sell these things in other countries they'll most likely be eking out a tiny profit on each sale. Then comes hardware revisions and economies of scale.
post #37 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Just the amount of GDDR5 alone compared to the common GDDR3/DDR3 found in PC's today would make you think its worth the entire console's selling price itself. But THIS article explains how much it really costs. (Probably due to volume pricing discount)
post #38 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-will-sell-every-ps4-at-a-loss-but-easily-recoup-it-in-games-ps-plus-sales-1571335/

They make all their money on the games, that is why they are rediculously expensive and why you can get games so cheap so soon after release on PC but not consoles.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #39 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 232
As someone who has been a gamer for nearly 30 years, I'm glad to see such a solid launch for the PS4 (and hoping Xbox One is just as successful). The media (and others) have been predicting doom and gloom for consoles for years, due to mobile games, etc. What everyone fails to realize is that people who play Angry Birds while they're on the crapper aren't "gamers." It's a completely different audience. The bottom line is that the PS4 sold one million consoles in one day (double the previous record), and additional PS4 inventory sells out in minutes.

Amazon messed up my pre-order, but my PS4 is finally out for delivery today. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin!

My Xbox One should arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed). It's an awesome time to be a gamer.
post #40 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM

GD..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/gamestop-says-2-3-million-customers-waiting-for-ps4.html
Quote:
GameStop Corp. (GME), the largest specialty retailer of video games, said its initial allocation of Sony Corp. (6758) PlayStation 4 consoles sold out and that 2.3 million customers are waiting for the devices.

Initial sales of the player exceeded its predecessor, the PlayStation 3, by more than 80 percent in the first few days, executives of the Grapevine, Texas-based chain said today on a conference call with analysts. They also anticipate a large waiting list for Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s Xbox One, suggesting a prolonged industry sales slump is ending.

I think Sony told investors they're looking to sell 3 million by Q1 2014. If all the people on wait list above can get one relativity soon while it''s still in their head, looks like they won't have a problem meeting their forecast.
freemeat likes this.
post #41 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
The Wii U had 500k people on their wait list for comparison, but most of those people just bought them elsewhere. Hopefully demand doesn't drop off a cliff like it did for Nintendo...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #42 of 46 Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
On their conference call today, Gamestop shared the following numbers:

PS4 sell-through since launch 80% higher than total amount of PS3s sold in 2006 fiscal year

XB1 allocation 15% higher than total amount of 360s sold in 2005 fiscal year

For reference, Gamestop's fiscal year ends at the end of the following January
post #43 of 46 Old 11-22-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
At Target last night I went by and picked up the new Dual Shock 4 controller and I must admit that I was quite amazed with how much of an improvement it was. MUCH more comfortable to hold and my thumbs no longer felt cramped on the joysticks.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #44 of 46 Old 11-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I believe that every console ever sold lost money. The companies that make these consoles make their money on software developers buying a license to make games for the machine. It's a good business model for them cause if the price of the console really did reflect the components inside, people would balk at the price.

Can anyone take a picture of their ps4 laying flat on a table. I just want to see how level they are, if the gap is only a tiny one, I might still want it, but if it's noticeable then I'd want to wait.

post #45 of 46 Old 11-23-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 214
According Techinsights Xbox One costs were $331 and PS4 costs were $322
http://www.techinsights.com/ps4-vs-xboxone/

btw 1.000.000 Xbox One's were sold in 24 hours (in 13 countries)
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/22/5135320/microsoft-sells-over-1-million-xbox-one-consoles-in-less-than-24-hours
post #46 of 46 Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

and they say that gaming is dead....they say that tablets are killing the consoles and PC....

I say they are wrong

Absolutely they are wrong. This proved it. Gaming industry is so ALIVE!!
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page