post #361 of 963 Old 12-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

I have the PS4, I decided on that because of the apparent more horse power and also I think future exclusives = being a better long term investment. I like the xbox one's controller and launch line-up better but launch line-ups are only temporary. I just got a sony KDL-70R550A and let me tell you Assassin's Creed Black Flag looks pretty sharp on that thing. I love finally being able to play consoles on a large screen thanks to 1080p gaming. And it looks like Xbox One will have to sacrifice some resolution based on the launch multiplatform games. Meaning it might be better as a smaller TV game system.

Once again another ignorant comment.

NBA 2K15

Fifa 14

Forza 5

NBA Live 14

Madden 25

All games that run 1080p 60fps on both consoles.

COD Ghost is 720p because as the devs said that MS did not allow them to use the full power of the XB1. That extra 10% is reserved for kinect and MS stated that in the future they will allow that to be used by all devs as they deem fit.

If games like the ones above can do 1080p 60fps what makes you think they cant in future titles and it needs to be played on a small tv. I mean really
nickbuol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 963 Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
That 10% reserve will never fully vanish unless they drop Kinect, and Microsoft has said that isn't happening. That reservation is for Kinect skeletal tracking and for Snap functions, it may shrink over time, but it won't vanish until Kinect does. (And even then not 100% thanks to Snap)

And that 10% is only about 130 Gflops, it isn't that much and isn't going to suddenly make all that much of a difference if they do get it back. Those games you listed are all lacking graphically and don't look next gen, they are pretty much last gen games with a fresh coat of paint.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #363 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

That 10% reserve will never fully vanish unless they drop Kinect, and Microsoft has said that isn't happening. That reservation is for Kinect skeletal tracking and for Snap functions, it may shrink over time, but it won't vanish until Kinect does. (And even then not 100% thanks to Snap)

And that 10% is only about 130 Gflops, it isn't that much and isn't going to suddenly make all that much of a difference if they do get it back. Those games you listed are all lacking graphically and don't look next gen, they are pretty much last gen games with a fresh coat of paint.

You are really going to sit there and tell us that those games I listed are not next gen.

NBA 2K14 is far and away superior to last gen so is Battlefield

But I wont bother any longer because to many fanboys are in AVS and I thought that was reserved for teenagers
nickbuol likes this.
post #364 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

You are really going to sit there and tell us that those games I listed are not next gen.

NBA 2K14 is far and away superior to last gen so is Battlefield

But I wont bother any longer because to many fanboys are in AVS and I thought that was reserved for teenagers

Well you never listed BF4, and BF4 is rendering 40% more screen space which is a large difference in power and resolution (your perception may vary)

To be super critical:

NBA2K14 is both 1080P60, but the XB1 version is missing AA and some other minor graphical features (think a step down extra in the settings on PC). It's also a very closed/controlled game design )arena, crowd, players and court). Forza 5 went through it own last min downgrade in track assets and lighting to hit 1080P60 (vs the E3 and later showings). That important since 60FPS is pretty much not negotiable in a racer, but it is what it is. NBA Live 14/Madden 25 shouldn't even be mentioned as next gen games, they're cross generational games and have more in common with their last gen counterparts. They didn't even go through the sprinkling in of next gen features that other publisher cross gen games at least made the attempt to do. They've been getting panned from a technical perspective, and are not reference material. It's EA after all.

I don't have Fifa, so you might have something there.

As for the insult to fellow AVS'ers, many here are into tech, specs, and have keen eyes for visual fidelity. You're going to find criticism align along those lines, and there's nothing childish about it at a site that prides itself on knowing input lag, response times, and minute differences in contrast and black levels. There's already a lot of criticism here that the XB1 and PS3 are media feature poor vs what we got last gen.ended with last gen.

anyways, Merry Christmas all! Hope Santa was good to the families and you all have some new toys to play with!
post #365 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Fifa is much like Madden and Live, little to no visual upgrade over the resolution increase for now.

2k14 saw very small upgrades aside from the improved character models (which are very nice) and there is not much to stress the hardware there.

Xbox One's weakneess with 1080p comes from dynamic lighting and other effects that cause the frame buffer to balloon in size. Add in 60fps and it just can't keep up.

(I will say, I was impressed that Need for Speed managed 1080p on Xbox One, given the engine I did not expect it, kudos to the former Burnout guys)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #366 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 13
XBone disappointed me this time around. I do not want an "All in One" machine. Its just another box that does all the same stuff my TV, Blu-ray player, tablet, and phone all do. Talk about redundancy. If I sit down to turn on the Xbox, I want to lay a video game. Not watch TV, Netflix, etc.. Now I'm reading they downgraded the graphics. Crappy. Looks like I'll skip this version for as long as I can.
post #367 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Some websites have compared the xbox to a Radeon HD 7790 and the PS4 to a Radeon HD 7870. The PS4 has very clear superiority in graphic and memory bandwidth, but it's also a hard place to be as developers sometimes have to cut corners in development to meet the lesser system's bottlenecks. You may not see much difference now between titles released on both systems, but the gap will only widen as developers get more proficient.
freemeat likes this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #368 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

Some websites have compared the xbox to a Radeon HD 7790 and the PS4 to a Radeon HD 7870. The PS4 has very clear superiority in graphic and memory bandwidth, but it's also a hard place to be as developers sometimes have to cut corners in development to meet the lesser system's bottlenecks. You may not see much difference now between titles released on both systems, but the gap will only widen as developers get more proficient.

I haven't gotten my PS4 yet but I'm looking forward to it. But for now I'm enjoying my Xbox One. From what I've read the people who own PS4's claim it looks better but I have yet to hear from people who own both consoles. All in all I really like what Microsoft is trying to do and feel that it's more of a "Next Gen" technology whereas the Sony is being more dedicated to games. To me, if I spend $500 or so on an item I want it to do a bunch of **** and do it pretty well. The Xbox One might not play games as pretty as the PS4 but I like what possibilities it brings. The next couple of updates the Xbox One will have should further separate the two consoles as they go off in separate directions. Just this Christmas as we were watching bluray movies while opening gifts my sister in law called on Skype and was able to interact with us from California. The Kinect Camera follows you around while your moving and zooms in when you're speaking or holding up gifts to show whomever you're speaking with. Then while still in conversation I was able to snap in another app to see movie times (47 Ronin) all without using any controllers, all verbal and seamless. I thought it was great! I'm still looking forward to using a PS4 and playing any exclusives and what not. I'm a fan of both consoles but for different reasons.
post #369 of 963 Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 12
I got a Skype call today from a friend on an XBone. What Kinect can do with for video conferencing is pretty unbelievable.
post #370 of 963 Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Early on Sony stated the PS4 would play native 4k content(not games), was this ability included at release and or is it now supported?
What about upscaling?

Working hard, hardly working
post #371 of 963 Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

Early on Sony stated the PS4 would play native 4k content(not games), was this ability included at release and or is it now supported?
What about upscaling?

Firmware update in the future once the 4k standard is actually final. The industry still hasn't nailed down the final hdmi spec for proper 4k.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #372 of 963 Old 12-26-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

Once again another ignorant comment.

NBA 2K15

Fifa 14

Forza 5

NBA Live 14

Madden 25

All games that run 1080p 60fps on both consoles.

COD Ghost is 720p because as the devs said that MS did not allow them to use the full power of the XB1. That extra 10% is reserved for kinect and MS stated that in the future they will allow that to be used by all devs as they deem fit.

If games like the ones above can do 1080p 60fps what makes you think they cant in future titles and it needs to be played on a small tv. I mean really

I would love to read where you read this.

I can't speak for Forza but NBA Live, Fifa and Madden are pretty ugly games compared to some others out there. It would have been pretty pathetic if they weren't 1080p considering what they look like.

It is pretty telling to me that games like BF4, COD, Assassins Creed are all significantly better looking on the PS4. It really isn't surprising, one company put its main efforts to making a fantastic gaming machine, the other put its efforts into body motion/ voice commands (though both have voice commands), skype, etc..
post #373 of 963 Old 12-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

My first videogame console was an Atari 2600. When I was a kid, I remember thinking to myself, "Someday, videogame graphics will look totally realistic." With the launch of Sony and Microsoft's latest gaming machines, that childhood dream is now reality.

My first console was an Atari 2600

After a seven-year wait, fans of console gaming now have two brand-new systems to choose between. It's an impressive bit of retail-savvy timing, releasing the two platforms only a week apart—just in time for the holiday shopping season. Whereas Nintendo enjoyed success in previous generations, the Wii-U is widely considered a flop, due to extremely poor sales. In contrast, Sony's PlayStation 4 set a new record for console sales in North America. Last week, the company sold 1 million PlayStation 4 units in one day. Microsoft pulled off a similar feat, selling over one million Xbox One units in one day.

There's plenty to read about both systems. There are numerous reviews and comparisons. There are articles documenting hardware issues. There is some discussion about Microsoft's play for living-room dominance and Sony's laser-like focus on gaming—at the expense of features that people took for granted on the PlayStation 3. In all, there is a lot to digest, so I put together a short list of articles that could be worth a look.

I want to know, is this the true dawn of the golden era of gaming? Initial sales of these eighth-generation consoles indicate the answer is a resounding "YES!"

Twin reviews are everywhere—most major tech sites have at least one for Xbox and one for PS4. Polygon.com gives the Xbox One an 8.0 rating, while the PlayStation 4 receives a 7.5 rating. 

image from polygon.com

There are plenty of articles about the new benchmark for day-one console sales: One million units.

Demand for both consoles appears to be strong, even after the day-one rush.

image from techradar.com

CNET feels it may be worth waiting before buying either console.

There are plenty of consoles in stock at Best Buy for anyone who did not pre-order.

image from polygon.com

Of course, along with all the good news, there are occasional reports of glitches.

PC world discusses how the Xbox One fits into Microsoft's microcosm and whether it competes with actual PCs.

As a Fios subscriber, the Xbox One looks ok but I'm more of a gamer than a media junkie so i'll keep my dvr and use a ps4 for games once games get improved. Plus the fact that the network issues that plagued ps3 and xbox 360 in the past have haunted the next gen consoles. Even Nintendo's struggling online network is having issues during the holidays. 2013-2014 is a good year to get games for current gen consoles. I'm playing gt6 and love the graphics...huge improvement over the last game, controls are good, and the menu is almost like windows 8. The sound effects need fixing. Maybe in 5 years i'll get a ps4 but for now i'm happy with my psfree.
post #374 of 963 Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

2013-2014 is a good year to get games for current gen consoles. I'm playing gt6 and love the graphics...huge improvement over the last game, controls are good, and the menu is almost like windows 8. The sound effects need fixing. Maybe in 5 years i'll get a ps4 but for now i'm happy with my psfree.

The issue you will face as a gamer is that as time passes fewer and fewer games will be available for the last gen platforms. By 2015 I would guess you will not see any major titles being released for these systems unless something unexpected happens with adoption.
freemeat likes this.
post #375 of 963 Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

The issue you will face as a gamer is that as time passes fewer and fewer games will be available for the last gen platforms. By 2015 I would guess you will not see any major titles being released for these systems unless something unexpected happens with adoption.

Yup, you'll probably still get the usual EA sports games but major studios like Polyphony will be moving on. If history is any indication GT6 is the last GT game on PS3, same for many other big developers like Naughty Dawg, etc.
post #376 of 963 Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I doubt it. With a double digit million user base, it will make financial sense to develop for current and last gen consoles for some time.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #377 of 963 Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

I doubt it. With a double digit million user base, it will make financial sense to develop for current and last gen consoles for some time.

If we use history as a guide after the release of the XBOX 360, XBOX games were produced for about a year and then volume fell to nothing. PS2 went on for went on for quite a bit longer but since the PS3 had adoption issues early on it is a little harder to judge that.
post #378 of 963 Old 12-29-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 701
just from a gut reaction, I'd think the majority of those current gen owners have either bought next gen consoles, or will buy next gen consoles when forced to. i don't think they'd lose much in software sales by not making ps3/360 versions of games(in a couple years) and they'd probably see a spike in hardware sales as the late adopters finally buy in.

don't get me wrong, i don't WANT them to stop making ps3/360 games as I'm not really interested/ready to buy next gen yet. but when they do stop, that will likely be all the push i need to sack up and buy one

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #379 of 963 Old 12-31-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 99
I can say (even not a factor at all) that the X1 is gigantic. It's like the size of a tower hard drove for a PC. Looks like it's from 1950. The ps4 is way more appealing.

As far as hardware...if you want something that focuses on every aspect of future gaming or the future of a console than the X1 is your choice. If you want something with superior power, graphics, possibly better exclusives in the long run, easier hdd upgrade without voiding warranty and an overall gaming experience ps4 is for you. The voice
Controls on X1 are great...when they work. I do like the interface of x1 better. PS4 really seems like a ps3.5.
post #380 of 963 Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

I can say (even not a factor at all) that the X1 is gigantic. It's like the size of a tower hard drove for a PC. Looks like it's from 1950. The ps4 is way more appealing.

As far as hardware...if you want something that focuses on every aspect of future gaming or the future of a console than the X1 is your choice. If you want something with superior power, graphics, possibly better exclusives in the long run, easier hdd upgrade without voiding warranty and an overall gaming experience ps4 is for you. The voice
Controls on X1 are great...when they work. I do like the interface of x1 better. PS4 really seems like a ps3.5.

odd that you say that, cause I thought the xboxone FINALLY looked like it belonged on the audio rack. every game console ever has 'stood out' too much for my taste. if the xboxone was about 20% smaller and the exact same look it'd be awesome! even as is, it wouldn't be the biggest box on my rack.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #381 of 963 Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

odd that you say that, cause I thought the xboxone FINALLY looked like it belonged on the audio rack. every game console ever has 'stood out' too much for my taste. if the xboxone was about 20% smaller and the exact same look it'd be awesome! even as is, it wouldn't be the biggest box on my rack.
Agreed, as someone that's owned a fair bit of equipment, and has had it all rack-mounted for several years, I find the new Xbox a decent size. Now, I may not have lived during the 50's, but in my time not living in my parent's house I've seen quite of lot of big, hulking pieces of gear... this doesn't look anything like any of that did. Given the quantity of connections on the back there's always going to be 'some' size necessary. Sure, it's a lot bigger than my Roku or Apple TV, but it's smaller than my Tivo. As for looks, I honestly couldn't care less about what the boxes look like. I'm more interested in whether they do their job reliably. Thus far the Xbox One is living up to what I expected of it.

But I am disappointed there's not an extension cable available for Kinect, yet. This will get moved into some new cabinetry being built. I'm a bit concerned there won't be enough length to get from the slide-out rack in the cabinet below, along the cable guide, up inside the wall and then back out along the articulated arm to the TV. I'm specifically holding off on buying two other units because their locations would require at least a 25' total length.
post #382 of 963 Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Liked: 11
Can't go wrong with either. I am a 10 year XBOX Live member and love my 360. I went with a PS4 because i didn't want/need all the other nonsense and honestly, the idea of speaking to my TV doesn't excite me. I think the XboxOne is a terrific machine for those people who enjoy major Kinect integration, have some sort of live TV feed like Cable or FIOS or Uverse, and want to multitask while gaming. Xbox Live is superior to the PSN but it's closer now than ever before. The PS4 improved the controller to the point where I think it's equal to the XboxOne, however the battery life is not nearly what I think it needs to be. (Small complaint)

Most of my online friends have jumped to the Sony camp as well….not saying there isn't an XboxOne in my future but the must have at launch was the PS4.
Johnny Mnemonic likes this.
post #383 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 AM

Liked: 13
Do yall see any future harware upgrades to the XBone that would stop you from buying today and wait for a Gen 2 machine? I've never really liked the PS4. Always had an XBox and would rather not make the switch now.
post #384 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lee View Post

Do yall see any future harware upgrades to the XBone that would stop you from buying today and wait for a Gen 2 machine? I've never really liked the PS4. Always had an XBox and would rather not make the switch now.

I'm almost certain there will be.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #385 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm almost certain there will be.

Both systems will see hardware revisions. A spec upgrade however would be against the norm and splinter the market if that is what he is asking. (The last system to attempt that was Sega with the CD and 32x add ons) On the plus side this generation should be much shorter.

Expect a new revision for both within the year that includes a larger HDD and maybe a pack in game (probably around Black Friday) at the current prices. A price drop should come for both in 2015 (assuming that sales are healthy for both through 2014, a price war may also break out if one of them drops early) and a slim down may come in 2016. (The AMD design that both consoles went with will scale very easily to smaller processes and reduce in cost to make more quickly than the previous consoles)

Personally I am waiting for the Kinect free bundle, when or if it ever happens. I see no reason to pay an extra $100 for a add on that I will never use.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #386 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Norms change, and the conditions that shaped those norms have gone away over the years. The same AMD design that scales down nicely also scales up with ease. Game engines are scalable. And the virtualization/split resource scheme MS is using makes a second spec a piece of cake.

I expect a spec upgrade alongside the slim version of the original spec in a few years.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #387 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For this generation I doubt there will a hardware revision that changes and improves what the systems are capable of graphically. Sony and MS have never done that, they simple release new systems (PS, PS2, PS3, PS4,. xbox, Xbox36, Xbone) nothing in between bumping up performance specs. So I wouldn't expect Xbone to ever match PS4's graphically abilities. I expect revisions shrinking chips sets, form factor of the actual unit and all just like past generations.

What they could do to be more competitive is release a Kinectless Sku to help sell consoles. Right now they have a more expensive system with games that graphically fall well below PS4's. So releasing a sku that is price appropriately for those that don't care about motion controls could lead to a lot interest in their console. For people that care strictly abot gaming it is hard to significantly more more for a significantly less powerful console.
post #388 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I agree that there will definitely be some type of hardware upgrade. Too soon to say whether it is worth waiting for or not.

The thing is, that if you are not in a rush like many of us were to get our hands on the new hardware you will benefit by waiting. Even if the hardware stays the same the prices will likely drop and there are really no "must have" launch games for either console IMO.
post #389 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 242
There will not be any hardware upgrade, that would split the market. It wouldn't work. Developers would have to code for 2 hardwares. And stil worry about the lowest common denominator so it's pointless.

home theater addict
post #390 of 963 Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Never say never. Not that I care all that much, but this bears repeating:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Norms change, and the conditions that shaped those norms have gone away over the years. The same AMD design that scales down nicely also scales up with ease. Game engines are scalable. And the virtualization/split resource scheme MS is using makes a second spec a piece of cake.

I expect a spec upgrade alongside the slim version of the original spec in a few years.
This can already be done manually with PC gaming, so who's to say it can't be automatically done on today's consoles?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U Games , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox One Games , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page