Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Roundup - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
The article claiming that the Xbox One was making a small profit forgot about retail markup, which is usually 20% over what the retailer pays for the hardware. (It isn't a set percent but it is the norm)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Did you seriously just use that as an example? All the different models MS , and Sony too, released had the same hardware specifications. The only difference was HDD space and one 360 model didn't have have a HDD. But all games looked the same. It didn't matter that one had a bigger hard drive than the other or none at all.

What you're talking about is completely different. People have already spent $500 on an XB1, and for MS to release a more powerful system that plays the same games in 1080P with whatever other fancy effects that can't be done on the current system will be a disaster. It's not going to happen.

it's still not the same, but there were differences in hardware that affected games with the ps3. in this case it was the removal of backwards compatibility though. so still not exactly the same, but it is evidence that nothing is off limits. keep an open mind, because it's technically more possible than ever.

for all we know, MS will 'sneak' some improvements in that affect things like AA rather than pixel count so consumers won't realize it.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #453 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The article claiming that the Xbox One was making a small profit forgot about retail markup, which is usually 20% over what the retailer pays for the hardware. (It isn't a set percent but it is the norm)

so to clarify, the retailer was making a profit, but not MS?

then I would agree with your initial statement, they should be profitable soon

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #454 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it's still not the same, but there were differences in hardware that affected games with the ps3. in this case it was the removal of backwards compatibility though. so still not exactly the same, but it is evidence that nothing is off limits. keep an open mind, because it's technically more possible than ever.

for all we know, MS will 'sneak' some improvements in that affect things like AA rather than pixel count so consumers won't realize it.

Why would they sneak it in? They're going to market the hell out of the new and improved Xbox one. They want you to feel insecure about your old Xbox...that's what'll get you to buy a new one.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #455 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.jase View Post

Nobody missed anything.

I clearly said Kinect has some good uses in some games, and I didn't say I hate kinect, something you assumed because I said Kinect was a gimmick.
And show me where I said having a vision is a bad thing as you posted in one of your previous posts? That's right I never said that. Where did I say MS should stop with kinect like you said I said? That's right I never said that. You're not even arguing what I was saying in the first place. I clearly defined what i meant by gimmick, yet you go on about me not liking it. When I gave you an example of why kinect is obviously a part of MS's vision, by you know packing it in with the system, you didn't address that. Instead, you deflect, because you were wrong. You constantly extrapolate arguments I never made.

Once again kinect will be a disappointment as far as mass adoption in games. It'll have a few games that will use it well, but overall it won't be used.

And you never answered most of my questions, such as besides exercise games and I believe it was mass effect 3 for example, what plethora of games use kinect? and that's my point, it'll be much the same with the xbox 1. You clearly have a reading comprehension issue not me.

this may be true, but only if factors not related to the effectiveness of Kinect get in the way(programmers having to keep ps4 functionality in mind, for example)

I can think of a way to use Kinect functionality not as a gimmick in almost every genre:
FPS - head tracking could allow you to look/peak around corners with absolute precision. seems like this is now even possible for local multiplayer. audio commands could also be implemented and more practical than going into submenus and such(I'm kind of a noob, and generally don't even use airstrikes and that other stuff because it takes me too long to access)
Sports - forget the motion tracking for these, I find that gimmicky, but the voice commands can be very useful. I know madden has already done this with calling audible for example. but they could add more to this. you could effectively 'talk' to the AI players. 'watch in front", "go to the net", etc depending on the sport. keep in mind none of this would be REQUIRED, it's just extra stuff that makes the game more interactive.
action/thriller - they've been saying that the new Kinect is so powerful it can track things that may allow software to assess how 'scared' you are. HR, breathing, etc can be monitored, and games could be programmed to take advantage of this.

basically I think if they move away from the hand gestures and more towards the vocal commands and monitoring aspects of Kinect, they can find tons of ways to enhance controller based games without it coming off as gimmicky. and they still have the hardware needed for some gimmicky, goofy, fun party games as well.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #456 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

so to clarify, the retailer was making a profit, but not MS?

then I would agree with your initial statement, they should be profitable soon

Retailers always make a profit on everything they sell. (Aside from a few door busters designed to get you there on major sale dates)

Console makers sell them to retailers for less than msrp (so even though the Xbox One costs about $480 to make, retailers pay quite a bit less. (Probably around $410-430 per unit) so Microsoft is losing roughly $50 per unit. (This varries greatly as every retailer negotiates their own rates)

Sony will be losing a similar percentage, but less per unit thanks to the lower price tag. It is worth noting that the PS4 is sold for a profit in many countries they recently launched in. (Some of them over $100 thanks to exchange rates, but not knowing the import taxes and other potential fees muddies those estimates)


All of these numbers were based on the November teardowns and estimates, production prices have probably already dropped on several parts.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #457 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Why would they sneak it in? They're going to market the hell out of the new and improved Xbox one. They want you to feel insecure about your old Xbox...that's what'll get you to buy a new one.

I think it'll be more delicate than that.

when MS says the 'new' xbone is far superior, it's also saying the 'old' xbone is garbage

I think they need to market it more carefully. the 'new' one can't be 'better', it needs to be for a different user. maybe they'll release a 'gamer' version that has more emphasis on gameplay and less on the apps. maybe it'll be this gens version of an elite console. they have to sell the base model as being awesome, and the upgraded model has having more.

from history, I'm thinking of when ms changed chipsets in the 360's. I don't remember EVER seeing this advertised by MS. it was talked about a lot on enthusiasts websites and such, but MS clearly didn't want to say something like, "buy our new Falcon chipset, it won't Rrod like the Xenon".

I just feel like it's another route. if they make SMALL improvements often, they could 'sneak' them in and ppl won't be pissed that MS made them buy a console that wasn't ready for the market, while new customers get an improved experience that's on par with the ps4 performance.

fortunately, it's not up to me to decide which is the best course of action. so I get to just speculate on the internet tongue.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #458 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Retailers always make a profit on everything they sell. (Aside from a few door busters designed to get you there on major sale dates)

Console makers sell them to retailers for less than msrp (so even though the Xbox One costs about $480 to make, retailers pay quite a bit less. (Probably around $410-430 per unit) so Microsoft is losing roughly $50 per unit. (This varries greatly as every retailer negotiates their own rates)

Sony will be losing a similar percentage, but less per unit thanks to the lower price tag. It is worth noting that the PS4 is sold for a profit in many countries they recently launched in. (Some of them over $100 thanks to exchange rates, but not knowing the import taxes and other potential fees muddies those estimates)


All of these numbers were based on the November teardowns and estimates, production prices have probably already dropped on several parts.

sorry, I know retailers make a profit, that wasn't the part I needed to clarify, haha. my bad.

I just wasn't reading your post clearly, and was trying to figure out what a 20% markup had to do with MS or Sony. didn't realize they were using MSRP as opposed to retailer cost.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #459 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The hilarious part of this is that anyone that's feelings would get hurt over not having the best resolution/performance probably shouldn't have bought an Xbox one to begin with.

Exactly, if you want the best console gaming get a ps4. If you want the mid tier gaming system with motion controls get a xbone. If you want the bottom end get with a touch pad display controller get a Wii U.

There isn't a wrong choice just what a person prefers in a gaming console. Of course the aside from the 3 hardware tiers there exclusives that play into it as well and they all have good exclusives.
freemeat is online now  
post #460 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ag.jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

this may be true, but only if factors not related to the effectiveness of Kinect get in the way(programmers having to keep ps4 functionality in mind, for example)

I can think of a way to use Kinect functionality not as a gimmick in almost every genre:
FPS - head tracking could allow you to look/peak around corners with absolute precision. seems like this is now even possible for local multiplayer. audio commands could also be implemented and more practical than going into submenus and such(I'm kind of a noob, and generally don't even use airstrikes and that other stuff because it takes me too long to access)
Sports - forget the motion tracking for these, I find that gimmicky, but the voice commands can be very useful. I know madden has already done this with calling audible for example. but they could add more to this. you could effectively 'talk' to the AI players. 'watch in front", "go to the net", etc depending on the sport. keep in mind none of this would be REQUIRED, it's just extra stuff that makes the game more interactive.
action/thriller - they've been saying that the new Kinect is so powerful it can track things that may allow software to assess how 'scared' you are. HR, breathing, etc can be monitored, and games could be programmed to take advantage of this.

basically I think if they move away from the hand gestures and more towards the vocal commands and monitoring aspects of Kinect, they can find tons of ways to enhance controller based games without it coming off as gimmicky. and they still have the hardware needed for some gimmicky, goofy, fun party games as well.

finally someone who actually talks about my point and not bring up phantom arguments i never said.

You could very well be right,but i just don't see kinect being used much in games. As I said before, I know Kinect was used very well in some games on the 360, but there were not many. MS packed in the kinect, so that may change, but as of now I just don't see it. I see it being used for your exercise games and things like that and some mainstream games perhaps, but not many.

For instance, I have dead rising 3, and it had some voice activation and it didn't work well. At the end of the day, I just pressed the buttons and ignored the voice activation.

However, like I said, maybe what you say will come to pass, but I doubt it.
ag.jase is offline  
post #461 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I would think if MS wanted to pump money into it they could convince all sorts of Devs to incorporate Kinect controls. Done right it could bridge the hardware gap.

Chris5028 is offline  
post #462 of 963 Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

I would think if MS wanted to pump money into it they could convince all sorts of Devs to incorporate Kinect controls. Done right it could bridge the hardware gap.

They already do that, offering devs incentive to add Kinect functions. Most just shoe horn in basic gesture and voice commands to meet the check boxes and get the kick back. (And best of all, it is easy to add the same stuff to the PS4 version)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #463 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,414
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The hilarious part of this is that anyone that's feelings would get hurt over not having the best resolution/performance probably shouldn't have bought an Xbox one to begin with.

Many people probably bought an XB1 over PS4 because they prefer the exclusives, LIVE, and their friends all have the console too. And they still get the multiplatform 3rd party games. That doesn't mean they don't care about graphics performance. Of course they would prefer if a XB1 game ran at 1080p or looked just as good as the PS4 version, but it's a sacrifice they made based on the other things they like about XB1. I'm pretty sure many XB1 owners were upset when they found out it was going to be underpowered compared to PS4. But they decided to deal with it (and make excuses about how the power difference is not that big and graphics don't really matter) because of the past history they have with the console.


For the same company you just put all that money into to announce a better version of the console you already have won't go over well with the owners that willingly invested in the console knowing they were going to be getting lesser versions of games. Thinking what the hell was the point if they were going to do something like that.


I don't even know why we're talking about this. MS is not making a more powerful XB1. The XB1 hardware is what it is.
freemeat likes this.

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #464 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Many people probably bought an XB1 over PS4 because they prefer the exclusives, LIVE, and their friends all have the console too. And they still get the multiplatform 3rd party games. That doesn't mean they don't care about graphics performance. Of course they would prefer if a XB1 game ran at 1080p or looked just as good as the PS4 version, but it's a sacrifice they made based on the other things they like about XB1. I'm pretty sure many XB1 owners were upset when they found out it was going to be underpowered compared to PS4. But they decided to deal with it (and make excuses about how the power difference is not that big and graphics don't really matter) because of the past history they have with the console.


For the same company you just put all that money into to announce a better version of the console you already have won't go over well with the owners that willingly invested in the console knowing they were going to be getting lesser versions of games. Thinking what the hell was the point if they were going to do something like that.


I don't even know why we're talking about this. MS is not making a more powerful XB1. The XB1 hardware is what it is.

I own an XB1 and totally agree the PS4 is the superior console. The four reasons I still went with the XB1. First, the exclusives like Titanfall and the fact they get the maps a month earlier for all the shooters I play. Second, I prefer the familiar XB1 controller. Third, the online experience of LIVE and finally the fact that my friends all play on 360 and plan to eventually get the XB1. Also, while I can see a slight difference in the 720p of some XB1 games vs the 1080p of the PS4, I like the increased contrast filters used in the XB1. If MS was smart that would throw a huge pile of money at Respawn and EA to lock down Titanfall and other IP they are developing.

sytech is online now  
post #465 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Titanfall is locked down as an exclusive, they threw a ton of money at EA to keep the game off Playstation platforms. However, it is also coming to the 360 and PC, basically ensuring that the Xbox One version doesn't sell like it could if it were a true exclusive. (Being an online only game has already limited their audience)

This deal was also made without Respawn's knowledge and they were quite ticked off, so there may not even be a #2 if this deal soured their relationship with EA.

As for the filter being used on the Xbox One, any PS4 can use it as well. Go into your TV settings, turn on Edge Enhancement, drop the brightness, jack up the contrast and turn on dynamic contrast. (Or just set your TV to torch mode) Same effect and it is not forced. (A few games, like BF4 don't even use it thanks to the pre launch backlash)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #466 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post


Many people probably bought an XB1 over PS4 because they prefer the exclusives, LIVE, and their friends all have the console too. And they still get the multiplatform 3rd party games. That doesn't mean they don't care about graphics performance. Of course they would prefer if a XB1 game ran at 1080p or looked just as good as the PS4 version, but it's a sacrifice they made based on the other things they like about XB1. I'm pretty sure many XB1 owners were upset when they found out it was going to be underpowered compared to PS4. But they decided to deal with it (and make excuses about how the power difference is not that big and graphics don't really matter) because of the past history they have with the console.


For the same company you just put all that money into to announce a better version of the console you already have won't go over well with the owners that willingly invested in the console knowing they were going to be getting lesser versions of games. Thinking what the hell was the point if they were going to do something like that.


I don't even know why we're talking about this. MS is not making a more powerful XB1. The XB1 hardware is what it is.

 

If graphics don't really matter, why would releasing a better spec be an end of the world disaster? I dont understand the outrage...help me understand it. 

 

You wouldn't be getting lesser versions of games. You'd be getting the exact same one you'd have gotten anyway on the original hardware. That there's a better spec is besides the point - as you say, the XB1 hardware is what it is. It's not like it gets downgraded the day a new spec comes out. You got what you paid for, it's still capable of the exact same thing as the day you bought it.

 

If you don't care about graphics, why would the presence of the better spec be an issue? If you do, isn't that the best of both worlds? You get your xbox live and exclusives, your xbox friends, and potentially better than PS4 graphics? What's not to like about that?

vinnie97 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #467 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yippee, another "me, too" shooter in a long line of similar fare (Titanfall)...
vinnie97 is offline  
post #468 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yippee, another "me, too" shooter in a long line of similar fare (Titanfall)...

If anything Titanfall is more Quake than CoD. It will be interesting to see if the average shooter fan could handle a game that requires that kind of constant motion and twitch reflexes.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #469 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag.jase View Post

finally someone who actually talks about my point and not bring up phantom arguments i never said.

You could very well be right,but i just don't see kinect being used much in games. As I said before, I know Kinect was used very well in some games on the 360, but there were not many. MS packed in the kinect, so that may change, but as of now I just don't see it. I see it being used for your exercise games and things like that and some mainstream games perhaps, but not many.

For instance, I have dead rising 3, and it had some voice activation and it didn't work well. At the end of the day, I just pressed the buttons and ignored the voice activation.

However, like I said, maybe what you say will come to pass, but I doubt it.

if I were a betting man, I'd agree with you. but I don't WANT that to be the case.

the way I see it, it's LIKELY that Kinect won't catch on because developers won't take advantage of it(not because it's a bad idea). only xbox exclusives are likely to use it in any significant way, and those tend to be the gimmicky ones.

on the other hand, I'm also wondering how the touchpad on the ps4 controller will get used. my concern is that developers will use the touchpad, and then make xbox users do those in game actions with Kinect(which in comparison will probably be less precise and more cumbersome. if that's the only way Kinect is implemented in crossplatform game, it will lose.

the only way Kinect will be successful is if MS REALLY pushes for it. if enough exclusives just nail it, and consumers start to demand that function in other games. then sony will have to push their psmove system to keep users on their platform, and then developers will be able to freely program important sequences in games that require a motion system without fear of limiting their market.

so I guess, either Kinect will force PSmove to also be successful. or both will remain gimmicky party features. I'm HOPING they find a way to use them effectively. I'm worried sony's presence (and how they aren't relying on their move system) will delay or prevent this from happening.

I'm hoping they fix the issues instead of take the easy way. instead of thinking about the flaws you had with DR3, think of the fact you tried them because IF they worked, it would have worked better. the better solution is to fix the issues, the bandaid solution is to go back to cumbersome buttons.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #470 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Many people probably bought an XB1 over PS4 because they prefer the exclusives, LIVE, and their friends all have the console too. And they still get the multiplatform 3rd party games. That doesn't mean they don't care about graphics performance. Of course they would prefer if a XB1 game ran at 1080p or looked just as good as the PS4 version, but it's a sacrifice they made based on the other things they like about XB1. I'm pretty sure many XB1 owners were upset when they found out it was going to be underpowered compared to PS4. But they decided to deal with it (and make excuses about how the power difference is not that big and graphics don't really matter) because of the past history they have with the console.


For the same company you just put all that money into to announce a better version of the console you already have won't go over well with the owners that willingly invested in the console knowing they were going to be getting lesser versions of games. Thinking what the hell was the point if they were going to do something like that.



I don't even know why we're talking about this. MS is not making a more powerful XB1. The XB1 hardware is what it is.

I'm not sure I agree with that. yes it might 'sting' a bit. but wouldn't it also be MS given users what they want(finally). think of all the users that are planning to switch over to ps4 that would be instantly won back by this new version. there's MILLIONS of users that haven't bought consoles yet. it's a significant market that shouldn't be ignored either.

we're talking about it because that's what forums are for. crazy speculation and pipe dreams that sometimes get answered. I'm not going to buy shares in MS because I believe they will release a second console and dominate, but that doesn't mean it's impossible either

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #471 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If graphics don't really matter, why would releasing a better spec be an end of the world disaster? I dont understand the outrage...help me understand it. 

You wouldn't be getting lesser versions of games. You'd be getting the exact same one you'd have gotten anyway on the original hardware. That there's a better spec is besides the point - as you say, the XB1 hardware is what it is. It's not like it gets downgraded the day a new spec comes out. You got what you paid for, it's still capable of the exact same thing as the day you bought it.

If you don't care about graphics, why would the presence of the better spec be an issue? If you do, isn't that the best of both worlds? You get your xbox live and exclusives, your xbox friends, and potentially better than PS4 graphics? What's not to like about that?

yes! this is almost a philosophical debate. since when is releasing a 'better' product ever a bad thing? not like they are making the launch consoles worse somehow, or abandoning them. it's a bit selfish actually to say these owners would be pissed off. I mean what's their argument? if I'm stuck with lower performance then everybody else should be too?

I'd personally rather have the choice to buy a better xboxone, but I also understand the worry of your new console being 'obsolete' within a year. most of us console gamers like the stability, if we wanted ultimate performance we'd be upgraded our pc every week and using it.

still, for be PERSONALLY, MS releasing a 'better' xbone next year would probably be the difference between me buying a ps4 and buying an xbone as I'm not planning to buy either until at least the second version of either is released.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #472 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,414
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If graphics don't really matter, why would releasing a better spec be an end of the world disaster? I dont understand the outrage...help me understand it. 

Who says graphics don't matter? Of course it does. I was talking about people now saying it doesn't matter to downplay the PS4's advantage.

Quote:
You wouldn't be getting lesser versions of games. You'd be getting the exact same one you'd have gotten anyway on the original hardware. That there's a better spec is besides the point - as you say, the XB1 hardware is what it is. It's not like it gets downgraded the day a new spec comes out. You got what you paid for, it's still capable of the exact same thing as the day you bought it.

The better spec is the point. You would in fact be getting lesser versions of games because now there's a new model of the console you just bought that can run games at a higher resolution and better effects. You're stuck with that version unless you spend more money for a new console. "You got what you paid for"--- Yes. People paid for a $500 1.3TF console that's expected to last 5+ years. Not some stopgap that's going to be outdated by another version of the hardware because Microsoft couldn't get it right the first time. That's the outrage, that's the disaster, that's what the market will not accept.

Quote:
If you don't care about graphics, why would the presence of the better spec be an issue? If you do, isn't that the best of both worlds? You get your xbox live and exclusives, your xbox friends, and potentially better than PS4 graphics? What's not to like about that?

The fact that millions would have already bought the system? How is that the best of both worlds? You're going to have re-buy the console. If i was an XB1 owner and MS did this i would be very upset.



EDIT-
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Why would they sneak it in? They're going to market the hell out of the new and improved Xbox one. They want you to feel insecure about your old Xbox...that's what'll get you to buy a new one.

Wow. How did i miss this. I rest my case. The fact that you would be ok with this is crazy. I assure you the rest of the world wouldn't though..


"You got what you paid for"

A complete ripoff.

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #473 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
A lot of the comparisons I've seen and heard seem to suggest the XB1 and PS3 are pretty close when comparing them for HT use.
I must have missed something somewhere.

Nov.14
brwsaw is offline  
post #474 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

yes! this is almost a philosophical debate. since when is releasing a 'better' product ever a bad thing? not like they are making the launch consoles worse somehow, or abandoning them. it's a bit selfish actually to say these owners would be pissed off. I mean what's their argument? if I'm stuck with lower performance then everybody else should be too?

As far as I can tell, that's the argument.
vinnie97 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #475 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

If anything Titanfall is more Quake than CoD. It will be interesting to see if the average shooter fan could handle a game that requires that kind of constant motion and twitch reflexes.

It's Unreal T3 with a jetpack boost and mechs. It's going to be interesting to see if the hype is real, or manufactured by the media and EA. (Ya'll remember Haze?)

One thing of note is that EA has been unable to launch a top tier product this past year or so without major problems (Sim City and now BF) . Is anyone really looking forward to them handling Titanfall or Star Wars Battlefront? BF4 is still a mess on all platforms.
TyrantII is offline  
post #476 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

As far as I can tell, that's the argument.
I think it stems from the era of entitlement that seemingly permeates civilization now. So what if they release a hardware revision with better graphics in 2 years (at the minimum)? That's 2 years of waiting that those new owners will never get back (alternatively, they don't have to wait and can grab a PS4 now, missing only a marginal number of Xbox One exclusives).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #477 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

A lot of the comparisons I've seen and heard seem to suggest the XB1 and PS3 are pretty close when comparing them for HT use.
I must have missed something somewhere.

Probably are close as for blu-Ray playback and things like that. Though xbone has the upper hand w skype. Gaming however the ps4 is decisively quite a bit more powerful.
freemeat is online now  
post #478 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I think it stems from the era of entitlement that seemingly permeates civilization now. So what if they release a hardware revision with better graphics in 2 years (at the minimum)? That's 2 years of waiting that those new owners will never get back (alternatively, they don't have to wait and can grab a PS4 now, missing only a marginal number of Xbox One exclusives).

Well "entitlement" brought you the no-DRM XB1, right?

I don't think the argument is weighted on the feelings of those that would think it's unfair. Just the point that right or wrong it might make trying to sell new $500 iterative hard pretty hard, and that's the reason why it won't work. There's a reason gamers shell out a lot of cash for buggy systems with no games at launch, and it's mostly due to the console lifecycle. Shorten it and you're not going to get the same build up of demand or hype for the products. You undercut the very reason to release new hardware so fast in the first place as you absolutely need to make nice profit margins on the hardware if you;re revising hardware that quick. You surely won't make it up on software licensing and dev fee's.

I just don't think the market is large enough or broad enough to bare those types of iterative updates. It hasn't in the past, and I don't see whats changed going forward.
TyrantII is offline  
post #479 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I consider the removal of restrictive DRM a fair use issue, but that's neither here nor there. The gaming industry is as big as it ever has been (perhaps a little downsized since the casual hype of the Wii has worn off), and I am not so sure the failure of add-on options of the past (Sega's 32X of which I owned) is a precursor to what would happen in the event of a hypothetical Xbox One hardware revision. The key difference making this incomparable to the past is that the new games which employ the additional horsepower of the new hardware would work seamlessly with the old hardware. Two years is an eternity in technology, and MS could probably get away with waiting an additional year if they feel their first adopters would commit mutiny due to what they might perceive as a betrayal.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #480 of 963 Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Member
 
Polaris Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There is no chance they would release a system with upgraded specs. None. It has been mentioned, but the beauty of the consoles is if you buy one you're good for the next 4-8 years. The constant upgrading of specs is what drives people away from PC gaming.
Polaris Cipher is offline  
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U Games , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox One Games , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off