post #721 of 963 Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Why is the PS4 pic so dark?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 963 Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Different gamma settings. Oddly enough the darker PS4 version seems to show more details in the shadows than the Xbox One version. Some shadows are actually missing on the XBO version in that comparison. My guess is the two different studios chose two different settings for the base gamma and dynamic range.

My TV has amazing shadow details so I left it at default, but I can easily see why others would up the ingame brightness slider on the PS4 version.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #723 of 963 Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Different gamma settings. Oddly enough the darker PS4 version seems to show more details in the shadows than the Xbox One version. Some shadows are actually missing on the XBO version in that comparison. My guess is the two different studios chose two different settings for the base gamma and dynamic range.

My TV has amazing shadow details so I left it at default, but I can easily see why others would up the ingame brightness slider on the PS4 version.

The first area where you get your bow and hunt is so awesome looking. The fog, the lighting, etc Same with later areas but I don't want to put spoilers.
post #724 of 963 Old 01-29-2014, 02:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163

wink.gif

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #725 of 963 Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

wink.gif

Jason

Lmao. Good one
post #726 of 963 Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Differences look to be more than just framerate. Best view in full screen:
http://abload.de/img/tr8tsew.gif

I started playing this game last night on Xbox One, and I paid particular attention to this scene since you had posted this. The lighting on this particular section fluctuates between light and dark, and when it's light the picture looks a bit washed out. On your link, it looks to me like the Xbox One capture was taken during one of the "light" periods, while the PS4 capture was taken during a "dark" period, so the comparison shots don't mean much. You can tell the shots aren't identical by the differences in the water and the placement of the birds.
post #727 of 963 Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well this article has a breakdown. Digital Foundry updated the article. Far more differences than just the large disparity in Frame rate:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-next-gen-face-off
post #728 of 963 Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Differences look to be more than just framerate. Best view in full screen:
http://abload.de/img/tr8tsew.gif

I got my Xbox One like a month ago and gonna return it in about an hour for the PS4 (since they have it in stock finally). The games I am going to get is NBA 2k14 (had it with XBOX One) and the new Tomb Raider.

I have the NBA 2k14 for the Xbox One and have been playing it everyday almost. I will do a graphic comparison between the two. Xbox One version and the PS4 version. WIll report back.
SubSolar likes this.
post #729 of 963 Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

I got my Xbox One like a month ago and gonna return it in about an hour for the PS4 (since they have it in stock finally). The games I am going to get is NBA 2k14 (had it with XBOX One) and the new Tomb Raider.

I have the NBA 2k14 for the Xbox One and have been playing it everyday almost. I will do a graphic comparison between the two. Xbox One version and the PS4 version. WIll report back.

There is no way i could do that. My PS4 can't replace my XBOne. And my XBOne can't replace my PS4.

post #730 of 963 Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NBA 2k14 has been compared as being pretty much the same, but better AA or something on the PS4 that makes the image less jaggied.

The titles with the large disparity in PS4's favor are COD, BF, Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider.
post #731 of 963 Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just checked the scene on my second playthrough, lighting looked just like the Xbox One pic in that comparison. The PS4 capture was borked. My guess is that they set it for RGB Full, which crushed the image.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #732 of 963 Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Update. This is the deal for me.

Controller. Xbox One is alot better for me. Everything just feels right with Xbox One controller wheras with PS4, I am still trying to get used to it. But the thumb sticks just feels out of place.

Layout. Xbox One is better for me, again. Its just flashier and more fun to look at and scroll through. It has an Arcade feel to it wheras the PS4 kinda seems organized and simple "to the point".

Apps. Xbox One wins again. Has a lot more apps that I personally use like Youtube etc. Internet surfing is a lot better on the Xbox One, it seems easier to use and faster.

Graphics and Games. PS4 wins here. Like I mentioned previously, I had both NBA 2k14 for Xbox one and now the PS4, the graphics are a bit more realistic and smoother on the PS4. Maybe it has to do with framerates but dribble moves and shooting etc just looks smoother when you pull it off and faster. Hard to explain. (Haven't installed Tomb Raider yet)

Conclusion for me. Xbox One is a media center that plays a few games. PS4 is a game first console that focuses on well... games.

Will I return it for Xbox one again? No. I am sticking with PS 4 since I have a computer and can replace the APPS that I miss on the Xbox One. For me personally, the extra framerate and the slight graphics makes a big deal. Here and there, the "slight" better graphics by AA and the extra framerate will go along way of drawing me into the game.

UPDATE.

Have played NBA 2k14 online for about 2 hours now and I am starting to think Xbox One is really inferior to PS4 in processing. I am seeing new animations and hearing new sounds from the pS4 version that I have not heard in the Xbox One version not to mention gameplay is so much more fluid on the PS4. Physics seem a lot more real on the PS4.

NBA 2k14 on Xbox One is like NBA 2k13.5 compared to the NBA 2k14 on PS4.

If your a gamer, trade in your Xbox One for PS4. You wont regret it.

(sounds coming from both your controller and the TV is wayyyy cool when playing Tomb Raider/Kinda sound 3d when coming from both on some scenes)

Peace!
freemeat likes this.
post #733 of 963 Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone comment on the XBox One Kinect? On how better it is from the 360 Kinect? I currently have PS3 and just got the Xbox 360 because of the Kinect for my kids dance games and oh yes minecraft. I'm still on the wait and see for the next gen.
post #734 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

Anyone comment on the XBox One Kinect? On how better it is from the 360 Kinect? I currently have PS3 and just got the Xbox 360 because of the Kinect for my kids dance games and oh yes minecraft. I'm still on the wait and see for the next gen.

Kinect 2.0 can see more detail. The wave Kinect 2.0 Race Demo is not supposed to be able to be done with the 360 Kinect.

post #735 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:

Kinect 2.0 can see more detail. The wave Kinect 2.0 Race Demo is not supposed to be able to be done with the 360 Kinect.

The race demo barely worked for me.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #736 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I agree that the controls in the demo aren't great. My guess (and hope) is that this is the reason the game was delayed, so that they can perfect the controls. A Kinect 2.0 game that plays worse than something on 360 would be bad for business.
post #737 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It worked great for me. I was surprised how accurate it is with the gestures.. Just a slight movement with my hand for the throttle, steering, or leaning and it would respond. I wonder why it didn't work well for you? After I tried the wave race Demo, I figured if the rest of the game is the same way it would be awesome. It was much more responsive and accurate than I ever saw with the 360 Kinect games.

post #738 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update. This is the deal for me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Controller. Xbox One is alot better for me. Everything just feels right with Xbox One controller wheras with PS4, I am still trying to get used to it. But the thumb sticks just feels out of place.

Layout. Xbox One is better for me, again. Its just flashier and more fun to look at and scroll through. It has an Arcade feel to it wheras the PS4 kinda seems organized and simple "to the point".

Apps. Xbox One wins again. Has a lot more apps that I personally use like Youtube etc. Internet surfing is a lot better on the Xbox One, it seems easier to use and faster.

Graphics and Games. PS4 wins here. Like I mentioned previously, I had both NBA 2k14 for Xbox one and now the PS4, the graphics are a bit more realistic and smoother on the PS4. Maybe it has to do with framerates but dribble moves and shooting etc just looks smoother when you pull it off and faster. Hard to explain. (Haven't installed Tomb Raider yet)

Conclusion for me. Xbox One is a media center that plays a few games. PS4 is a game first console that focuses on well... games.

Will I return it for Xbox one again? No. I am sticking with PS 4 since I have a computer and can replace the APPS that I miss on the Xbox One. For me personally, the extra framerate and the slight graphics makes a big deal. Here and there, the "slight" better graphics by AA and the extra framerate will go along way of drawing me into the game.

UPDATE.

Have played NBA 2k14 online for about 2 hours now and I am starting to think Xbox One is really inferior to PS4 in processing. I am seeing new animations and hearing new sounds from the pS4 version that I have not heard in the Xbox One version not to mention gameplay is so much more fluid on the PS4. Physics seem a lot more real on the PS4.

NBA 2k14 on Xbox One is like NBA 2k13.5 compared to the NBA 2k14 on PS4.

If your a gamer, trade in your Xbox One for PS4. You wont regret it.

(sounds coming from both your controller and the TV is wayyyy cool when playing Tomb Raider/Kinda sound 3d when coming from both on some scenes)

Peace
!

Thank you for the feedback. Nice comparison. I knew about the colors/visuals being a little better on the PS4 but didn't know about the rest. I may pick it up soon. Currently working through Tomb Raider, which is gorgeous on the PS4, so smooth biggrin.gif

For a good laugh you should download the demo of EA's NBA Live!
post #739 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It worked great for me. I was surprised how accurate it is with the gestures.. Just a slight movement with my hand for the throttle, steering, or leaning and it would respond. I wonder why it didn't work well for you? After I tried the wave race Demo, I figured if the rest of the game is the same way it would be awesome. It was much more responsive and accurate than I ever saw with the 360 Kinect games.

No idea, but it rarely recognized the commands I was giving it. And when it did work, it was sloppy. It's cool that it even works a little bit, but I have as much patience with kinect as a gamepad that didn't always respond. If my pad didn't recognize a button press even one out of a hundred times id throw it in the trash. It could be ten times better than before, but it's still not even close to good enough.

post #740 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
When the frig is this thing going to support 3D Bluray (PS4)?

post #741 of 963 Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

When the frig is this thing going to support 3D Bluray (PS4)?

Both consoles have bigger issues to fix first before introuding something that might cause more issues.

post #742 of 963 Old 02-01-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
They've been pretty quiet, rumor is a significant FW update should be coming soon or early march.

Took them about 8-9 months to really fill out the PS3 feature wise, so expect the same here for the first year.
post #743 of 963 Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Finally got to check out the new controllers. The Xbone controller felt perfect in my hands. I loved it, I may buy one just to hold while I watch TV. The PS4 controller was surprising, it felt so good in my hands I couldn't believe it was a PS controller, until I moved my thumbs to the joy sticks... My hands became sore immediately. they made some serious improvements but I don't think I would be able to use it for more than a few minutes. PS4 was for sure the most improved over the last gen but man it still is a no go for my hands.

post #744 of 963 Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

Finally got to check out the new controllers. The Xbone controller felt perfect in my hands. I loved it, I may buy one just to hold while I watch TV. The PS4 controller was surprising, it felt so good in my hands I couldn't believe it was a PS controller, until I moved my thumbs to the joy sticks... My hands became sore immediately. they made some serious improvements but I don't think I would be able to use it for more than a few minutes. PS4 was for sure the most improved over the last gen but man it still is a no go for my hands.

this is still my number one concern

both play games, well enough
both play media, well enough
both will have a large game library
both will have limited functionality for me as I hate online gaming

we'll just have to see if some 3rd party controllers are released by the time I'm ready for a new console

I know for sure my buddy is getting a ps4 soon(well by summer) so i'll get a chance to test out the controller then

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #745 of 963 Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Digital Foundry tested the media playback on both consoles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps4-vs-xbox-one-which-is-the-better-media-player

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #746 of 963 Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw this posted at another site. I didn't know IGN tracked this. It still doesn't cover other differences in games, like texture resolution, depth of field, AA etc that are sometimes different between the two games.. I wish they had the Wii U on there as well.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates
Quote:
This page compares the native resolutions and framerates of PS4 games and Xbox One games. Native resolution indicates the resolution a game is rendered it before any potential upscaling. Most, if not all, PS4 and Xbox One games output at 1080p, but some might not have a native 1080p resolution. This is due to core capablities of the PS4 being stronger than Xbox One. [1]
PS4 vs. Xbox One Native Resolutions and Framerates Comparison Chart

This chart is a work in progress; very few companies have gone on record stating the native resolutions of their Xbox One and PS4 games. If you have information to add to this chart in alphabetical order, please make sure it's properly cited.

Game Xbox One PS4
Assassin's Creed 4 900p @ 30fps [2] 1080p @ 30fps [3](with patch)
Battlefield 4 720p @ 60fps [4]
900p @ 60fps [5]
Call of Duty: Ghosts 720p @ 60fps [6]
1080p @ 60fps (with patch) [7]
Dead Rising 3 720p @ 30fps [8] Exclusive
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Exclusive 1080p @ 60fps [9]
DriveClub Exclusive 1080p @ 30fps or 60fps [10]
Dying Light 1080p @ 60fps [11] 1080p @ 60fps [12][13]
EA Sports UFC 1080p @ 30fps [14] 1080p @ 30fps [15]
FIFA Soccer 14 1080p @ 60fps 1080p @ 60fps [16]
Flower Exclusive 1080p @ 60fps [17]
Forza Motorsport 5 1080p @ 60fps [18] Exclusive
Infamous: Second Son Exclusive 1080p @ 30fps [19]
Killer Instinct 720p @ 60fps [20] Exclusive
Killzone: Shadow Fall Exclusive 1080p @ 60fps (MP), 1080p @ 30fps (SP)
Kinect Sports Rivals 1080p @ 30fps [21] Exclusive
Knack Exclusive 1080p @ 30-60fps [22]
NBA 2K14 1080p @ 60fps [23]
1080p @ 60fps [24]
Need for Speed Rivals 1080p @ 30fps [25] 1080p @ 30fps [26]
Resogun Exclusive 1080p @ 60fps[27]
Ryse: Son of Rome
900p @ 30fps [28] Exclusive
Skylanders Swap Force 1080p @ ? [29] 1080p @ ? [30]
Thief 720p or 900p [31] 1080p [32]
Titanfall 720p @ ? [33] Exclusive
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition 1080p @ 30fps, 900p @ 30fps (Cutscenes) [34][35] 1080p @ 60fps [36]
Trine 2 Exclusive 1080p @ 60fps (2D), 720p @ 60fps (3D) [37]
post #747 of 963 Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

So based on this info, each system has games in 1080P and/or 60FPS, but neither system has 1080P and 60FPS for every game.

post #748 of 963 Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

So based on this info, each system has games in 1080P and/or 60FPS, but neither system has 1080P and 60FPS for every game.

Or more to the point of comparison the Ps4 has the same or higher resolution than XB1. This is a good quantitative compoarison. There are also additional qualitative advantages possible such as AA, texture quality, anisotropic filtering, more lighting effects, etc that could further the divide.

Edit: Trine appears to the one exception, but there is a 2d vs. 3d difference there.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #749 of 963 Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

Or more to the point of comparison the Ps4 has the same or higher resolution than XB1. This is a good quantitative compoarison. There are also additional qualitative advantages possible such as AA, texture quality, anisotropic filtering, more lighting effects, etc that could further the divide.

Edit: Trine appears to the one exception, but there is a 2d vs. 3d difference there.

Yup, the resolution/frame rate aren't the only difference. NBA2k14 for example is better on the PS4 but both have same framerate/resolution. BF4 has other differences as well, probably differences for a few others games as well. The inherit hardware differences come into play as well, Kinect on the Xbox One, rumble triggers and PS4's touchpad (Camera is option for motion control on PS4 games that support it), speaker in the controller and the LED light on the controller. I'd love a complete comparison chart with all the differences but this is a good starting point.
post #750 of 963 Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

Trine is a PS4 exclusive, those are just the 2D vs 3D resolutions.

The takeaway is that there isn't a single title where the XB1 has the advantage, which is as expected given the power difference. 

Johnny Mnemonic and freemeat like this.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U Games , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox One Games , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page