Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 963 Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:

Kind of old news, but I don't think game journos paid much attention to BUILD.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 963 Old 04-20-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Xbox One reportedly hacked. Public key dumped via electron scanning microscope via PS4 development team. Expect MS to respond in kind.

I thought I read where this was a false rumor?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #903 of 963 Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Kind of old news, but I don't think game journos paid much attention to BUILD.

Apparently Gaf missed it as well, since it was a new topic that popped up today.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #904 of 963 Old 04-24-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

So... The Day One Edition is back in stock at Amazon... (Yes, Amazon is the seller)

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console-Day/dp/B00CMQTVK0/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1398403071&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one

Screenshot in the gaf thread below just in case it sells out.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=807703

Maybe that one at my Walmart wasn't a fluke?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #905 of 963 Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

So... The Day One Edition is back in stock at Amazon... (Yes, Amazon is the seller)

Odd - why would anyone buy that over the Titanfall bundle? confused.gif
post #906 of 963 Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Odd - why would anyone buy that over the Titanfall bundle? confused.gif

If they have no desire for Titanfall and have no desire to sell the digital code.

And of course if they want the Day One achievement rolleyes.gif and the Day One controller.

LED DLP

post #907 of 963 Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console-Day/dp/B00CMQTVK0/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1398403071&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one

Screenshot in the gaf thread below just in case it sells out.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=807703

Maybe that one at my Walmart wasn't a fluke?

Amazon's been holding onto a secret stash :cool:MS has been selling tons of Xbox One's so that isn't the reason they still have them. At this point it is the worst priced package you can get.
post #908 of 963 Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 215
post #909 of 963 Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Microsoft may halt Xbox One production as inventory piles up

https://games.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-may-halt-xbox-one-production-inventory-piles-201631303.html

I did think it was kind of hilarious seeing this gigantic stack of discounted Xbox ones at costco....stacked next to the granola bars. 

post #910 of 963 Old 04-25-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Microsoft may halt Xbox One production as inventory piles up

https://games.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-may-halt-xbox-one-production-inventory-piles-201631303.html

Sounds like they took a post in Neogaf's thread on the earnings about how quickly inventory could pile up and ran with it. They may scale down production (and may suffer fines for doing so) but halt production? No, I don't see that happening just yet. If April through June are all as bad as January, then I would worry that production could be in danger. (The Dreamcast and Gamecube are the last two systems to halt production, only one recovered from that) As far as we know, the Wii U is still in production... probably.

I spent more time entertaining a Yahoo "news" article than I should have. They are a joke for reporting anything.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #911 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Xbox One Kinect free bundle coming in June for $399

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

This is a major 180, but a needed one. This just knocked off my last reason for not buying an Xbox One. Now all I need are the games to arrive. (None of the current exclusives interest me enough to be a system seller)

April's sales numbers must be terrible if they had to resort to their final trump card, the one they swore to never play. If $399 with No Kinect fails to salvage sales...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #912 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

This is a major 180, but a needed one. This just knocked off my last reason for not buying an Xbox One. Now all I need are the games to arrive. (None of the current exclusives interest me enough to be a system seller)

April's sales numbers must be terrible if they had to resort to their final trump card, the one they swore to never play. If $399 with No Kinect fails to salvage sales...

Wow, MS scrambling. There's really no reason to get the Kinect-less XB1 over a PS4, except maybe Titanfall...? I haven't played Titanfall yet, but Forza didn't do anything for me, and Ryse is pretty forgettable. To be honest, I think I've played more of that Powerstar Golf game than anything else on XB1.

I've had both consoles since launch, but find it interesting to note that I'm still on the initial set of batteries in the XB1 controller. Barely turn on the XB1 anymore, and have played the PS4 much more.
post #913 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It sounds more like MS reaming people trying to charge $400 for an XBOne without Kinect. I could see $400 for an XBOne with Kinect, but an XBOne without Kinect should at the very most be $350. You couldn't pay me to use the XBOne without Kinect since it makes it a pain to navigate the UI and do other things with just the controller.

LED DLP

post #914 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The thing is most people don't realize that the Ps4 is more powerful. Very few search these forums. Price and games will be the deciding factor.
d_m1010 likes this.
post #915 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Wow, MS scrambling. There's really no reason to get the Kinect-less XB1 over a PS4, except maybe Titanfall...?

Selling the Kinect separately allows them to lower the price of the console.  Many parents don't distinguish between a gaming system that includes a motion sensor and one that doesn't.  All they see is the price.  The PS4 is $100 less, so they buy it based on nothing except for the fact it is saving them $100.  With the prices equal, it becomes a 50/50 proposition for parents.  Now, they can justify choosing the Xboxone for their kids.  If the kid wants the Kinect then grandma can buy it for them or they can get it the following birthday/Christmas.

Me...I really don't play enough games on my current consoles (Xbox 360 w/ Kinect, PS3, and Wii) to justify buying a new one and the multimedia capabilities of both the Xboxone and PS4 are lacking compared to the previous generation.  However, I am somewhat intrigued by the Kinect to control your living room principle (though I'm not sure if the Xboxone really delivers on that promise).  With Kinect 2.0 being sold separately, I'm looking forward to the development of Windows 8 apps that will allow it to be used with a PC.  I'd love to have a Windows 8 HTPC that can be controlled via. a Kinect 2.0 and then add the ability to control my other devices via. IP or serial protocol rather than the archaic IR blasting method of the Xboxone.

post #916 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:

this is exactly why I don't like buying launch releases. that being said, I still can't imagine why I'd buy an xbox without a Kinect. I think this system makes more sense for somebody that already has one, or the few ppl who know they will never, ever, ever use it. I just hope this decision doesn't affect game programmers, I don't want them to remove interesting ways to use Kinect from their games because of this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #917 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

this is exactly why I don't like buying launch releases. that being said, I still can't imagine why I'd buy an xbox without a Kinect. I think this system makes more sense for somebody that already has one, or the few ppl who know they will never, ever, ever use it. I just hope this decision doesn't affect game programmers, I don't want them to remove interesting ways to use Kinect from their games because of this.

And that's the thing, there are plenty of people who haven't bought it yet that feel " I still can't imagine why I'd buy and xbox WITH Kinect". And now that is an option. Granted it isn't nearly as good of a value as a PS4 considering the significantly lower specs but it is an option.
post #918 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

And that's the thing, there are plenty of people who haven't bought it yet that feel " I still can't imagine why I'd buy and xbox WITH Kinect". And now that is an option. Granted it isn't nearly as good of a value as a PS4 considering the significantly low specs but it is an option.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand why the launch consoles had it bundled in, and I understand why they no longer do.

I still feel that the xbox should be viewed as REQUIRING the Kinect. game developers should assume it's available, and I'd like to see as much support for it as possible.

what this option allows is easy replacement. if you break the Kinect you can buy one, if you do something to the console, you can buy one. and you don't end up with extra 'parts' you can't use. it may also give buyers a cheaper way in, but I really don't think there's any expectation that gamers will use the xboxone without ever buying the Kinect. they just don't have to buy it right away now

I heard some rumours that MS was going to open up Netflix and vudu without paying for LIVE too. if that's true, that would be a major selling factor of the ps4 rendered moot for me.

post #919 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand why the launch consoles had it bundled in, and I understand why they no longer do.

I still feel that the xbox should be viewed as REQUIRING the Kinect. game developers should assume it's available, and I'd like to see as much support for it as possible.

what this option allows is easy replacement. if you break the Kinect you can buy one, if you do something to the console, you can buy one. and you don't end up with extra 'parts' you can't use. it may also give buyers a cheaper way in, but I really don't think there's any expectation that gamers will use the xboxone without ever buying the Kinect. they just don't have to buy it right away now

I heard some rumours that MS was going to open up Netflix and vudu without paying for LIVE too. if that's true, that would be a major selling factor of the ps4 rendered moot for me.

I imagine if you break yours there will be early adopters happy to sell you their Kinect that they never wanted to begin with smile.gif

That isn't a rumor anymore, it was announced.
post #920 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Xbox Live drops Gold requirement for Netflix, HBO Go, more
post #921 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

I am never going to use kinect and coupled with the price drop, I may pick a One up.
post #922 of 963 Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

imo, the success of Kinect is it's integration. it's never going to be that popular if it's used like it was on the 360, as a 'body controller' for simple games.

what would/will make Kinect worthwhile is when developers include it in subtle ways in all titles. using things like head tracking to peak around corners or increase the 3D effect of games (see this vid, around the 2:50 mark for what I mean by 3D with headtracking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw ), or perhaps find some other ways to use it to ADD to the controller instead of replacing it. like most of you, I don't have a strong desire to jump around my living room to play a game, that's what real life is for and I play plenty of sports already. but I still see a huge value in Kinect, but ONLY if it is expected you have one. it can't be viewed as an accessory and be successful. it has to be required if developers are going to use it in innovative and meaningful ways.

post #923 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I might have picked up a xbone now with the price drop, but MS has decided that Scandinavia isn't worth selling it in officially, so shrug. Their loss, I'm happy with the PS4.
post #924 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Ok Microsoft , might as well drop the price another fifty bucks or more to account for the memory and graphic capability difference. That is the final equalizer.
freemeat likes this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #925 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

Ok Microsoft , might as well drop the price another fifty bucks or more to account for the memory and graphic capability difference. That is the final equalizer.

The Xbox One APU is more expensive than the PS4's thanks to esram. DDR3 prices are near rock bottom while GDDR5 prices will keep dropping for a while. Sony has more room for price cuts than Microsoft.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #926 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I know it's not the standard policy for consoles to 'improve', but there's tons of precedent of consoles being 'updated' with different parts. I wonder if there's any chance of MS switching to ddr5 and using less of it in the future. I mean, at some point 1gb of ddr5 is going to cost less than 2gb of ddr3 likely.

I don't have a good understanding of the internals though, so not sure if it's really practical to get similar performance for less, switching to ddr5 or not.

I bring this up only because I recently bought a video card, and noticed almost across the board, the cards with 2gb of gddr3 were priced the same as cards with 1gb of gddr5. at least when comparing the same brand and base model. yet all the gddr5 cards were considerably better performing.

post #927 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

They could order custom ddr4 and restrain it to ddr3 performance, several consoles did something similar to keep price down over the years. That will benefit Microsoft in 2-3 years though, GDDR5 is already dropping...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #928 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know it's not the standard policy for consoles to 'improve', but there's tons of precedent of consoles being 'updated' with different parts. I wonder if there's any chance of MS switching to ddr5 and using less of it in the future. I mean, at some point 1gb of ddr5 is going to cost less than 2gb of ddr3 likely.

I don't have a good understanding of the internals though, so not sure if it's really practical to get similar performance for less, switching to ddr5 or not.

I bring this up only because I recently bought a video card, and noticed almost across the board, the cards with 2gb of gddr3 were priced the same as cards with 1gb of gddr5. at least when comparing the same brand and base model. yet all the gddr5 cards were considerably better performing.

Changing the memory speed is doable, but changing the capacity will break just about everything.

post #929 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

oh, haha.

what are the chances of MS using the same about gddr5 at some point? I'm wondering if they would be able to sell it as an improvement to the GUI and apps, so as not to annoy gamers who bought earlier consoles.

I assume since these consoles are so pc like, games don't have to be designed specifically for a certain spec of hardware. would it be reasonable for developers to continue producing games that will perform like they do now on launch consoles, but may have better AA or FPS, or perhaps even resolution on a newer updated console?

I just don't really understand why consoles try to restrict themselves to what was available when they were made. I understand the appeal of whatever game being made 5yrs from now still playing on your launch console, but I wouldn't be so against some yearly updates either.

post #930 of 963 Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

GDDR5 is a no go for Xbox One, latency differences would break every game. All specs must be better for it to work and latency is the one area that GDDR5 falls behind. (But just barely, talking nano seconds)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U Games , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox One Games , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page