post #961 of 993 Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It was something I have been keeping up with everytime I visit Walmart and yesterday it was still there. It was interesting seeing how long it took to move.

On a side note, I haven't seen a Titanfall bundle in almost a month...

ok, makes sense.

I just don't understand why somebody would buy it after launch though? I saw them on amazon for awhile too, but it made no sense to me since the 'non-launch day' consoles were cheaper with a game included.

so in a sense, the fact it sold at all, seems to suggest an absurd amount of 'demand'. either they were forced into buying the launch console because the others weren't available(unlikely) or they just really wanted a launch console to have a launch console.

either way, I think looking forward from here will be more telling. now that ppl can choose freely which they want, and the convenience or ease of finding one isn't an issue, the hype should die down and we'll see what the consumers actually want.

I mean, if I saw a ps4 4 months ago, I'd be tempted to buy it just because I could, even though I'm not sure I want one. now that they are both easy to find, there shouldn't be any 'impulse' buys skewing the results. nor should there be a lack of sales due to lack of product.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 993 Old 06-08-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
April NPDs show exactly that, both systems were readily available and sales reflected the true demand for the consoles. (No major releases to improve demand either)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #963 of 993 Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

June's NPDs are outbut we only have Nintendo numbers so far, but we do have the order of best selling to worst.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=857224

PS4 is #1 , Xbox One is #2 with at least 154k but not much more, #3 is 3DS at 150k and #4 is the Wii U at 140k (massive Mario Kart bump)

Edit - A company just dumped all the NPD numbers for all to see, the numbers above are more than a bit off for the Xbox One but spot on for everyone else. Microsoft's own premptive PR made sales look lower than they actually were...

What this tells us is that even with Microsoft's pent up demand from a "price drop" announced a month prior (causing a massive dip in sales for May) and Nintendo getting their biggest franchise out the door, PS4 is still winning the monthly sales race with no major releases or bundles to speak of.

Now Sony has the floor from July to October with all the big releases being in their court as either exclusive or having marketing deals in place. November is now the next month of interest to watch, but by then it may be too little too late for any kind of upset to happen.

The sales tracking of interest is now all on Nintendo, will Mario Kart salvage the Wii U, or will the bump be short lived?

Last edited by PENDRAG0ON; 07-18-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #964 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 124
It's been a year and what an interesting one. As an owner of both systems why do I have more games for the Xbox One vs. The more powerful PS4? (Even multi-platform games)
post #965 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
It's been a year and what an interesting one. As an owner of both systems why do I have more games for the Xbox One vs. The more powerful PS4? (Even multi-platform games)
My guess is because you haven't read this:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS...and_Framerates
freemeat likes this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!

Last edited by Johnny Mnemonic; 12-08-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: replaced mobile link with normal one
post #966 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

My guess is because you haven't read this:

http://m.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_...and_Framerates
Nope I have read and I am fully aware of the resolution debacle. However even with an 80" screen I can not tell the difference unless I stare very intently on one item and switch back and forth 3-5 times.

It's that Microsoft is continually updating there systems software and doing things to make me want to buy the games on their platform. $15.00 back for preorders on games this holiday normally $10 back on preorders. So the same game is cheaper.

Also being able to plug an USB drive onto the system to upgrade is better than I thougt it would be. At first I thiught PS4 had the edge with the user replaceable drive but since we have to install every game my 1TB was getting full fast. But with Xbox I plugged in a 4TB USB 3.0 drive which is much cheaper than a 2.5" drive for my PS4

Sony may win me back with Shareplay which is an amazing software addition. Don't get me wrong I am not a fanboy of either system I have Destiny and Shadow of Mordor on my PS4 but those are the latest games I purchased since launch for that system and I have 3 times as many on the Xbox One.

Guess what I am saying is power isn't everything. Ease of use and saving money wins big when you play a lot of games.

Last edited by PlayNice; 12-08-2014 at 12:45 AM.
post #967 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Nope I have read and I am fully aware of the resolution debacle. However even with an 80" screen I can not tell the difference unless I stare very intently on one item and switch back and forth 3-5 times.

It's that Microsoft is continually updating there systems software and doing things to make me want to buy the games on their platform. $15.00 back for preorders on games this holiday normally $10 back on preorders. So the same game is cheaper.

Also being able to plug an USB drive onto the system to upgrade is better than I thougt it would be. At first I thiught PS4 had the edge with the user replaceable drive but since we have to install every game my 1TB was getting full fast. But with Xbox I plugged in a 4TB USB 3.0 drive which is much cheaper than a 2.5" drive for my PS4

Sony may win me back with Shareplay which is an amazing software addition. Don't get me wrong I am not a fanboy of either system I have Destiny and Shadow of Mordor on my PS4 but those are the latest games I purchased since launch for that system and I have 3 times as many on the Xbox One.

Guess what I am saying is power isn't everything. Ease of use and saving money wins big when you play a lot of games.
What I have found after purchasing all three this generation systems is that some people really can't tell the difference between the PS4 and Xbox One in terms of graphics or the differences just don't matter to them. That's fine.

But I can see the difference as can most visually discerning sources that I read. That link above describes in numbers that there are differences--if the purchaser can't see them or the differences don't matter, so be it. I've actually referred some to the Xbox One if they are on a budget and the visual differences are not important to them, just as some of my friends can't understand why I spend the extra money on Blu-ray versions of some movies rather than the plain DVD versons. The visual differences mean something to me.

What I wanted was the best videogame system and that includes how the graphics help immerse me in to the experience. Not that money was no object but, this being my hobby, I have the discretionary income to purchase all three. After having done so, I find myself buying all multiplatform games on the PS4 along with its exclusives--and purchasing only exclusives for the Xbox One.
freemeat likes this.
post #968 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmp0 View Post
What I have found after purchasing all three this generation systems is that some people really can't tell the difference between the PS4 and Xbox One in terms of graphics or the differences just don't matter to them. That's fine.

But I can see the difference as can most visually discerning sources that I read. That link above describes in numbers that there are differences--if the purchaser can't see them or the differences don't matter, so be it. I've actually referred some to the Xbox One if they are on a budget and the visual differences are not important to them, just as some of my friends can't understand why I spend the extra money on Blu-ray versions of some movies rather than the plain DVD versons. The visual differences mean something to me.

What I wanted was the best videogame system and that includes how the graphics help immerse me in to the experience. Not that money was no object but, this being my hobby, I have the discretionary income to purchase all three. After having done so, I find myself buying all multiplatform games on the PS4 along with its exclusives--and purchasing only exclusives for the Xbox One.
But there are also more factors involved than just the graphics quality. If that was all that mattered then most of the games that are on both systems I would own on my PS4. But it is the opposite. Most of those games I own on the XBOne. Because there are other factors that typically make me like playing the games on the XBOne over the PS4.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #969 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmp0 View Post

I wonder if you can really tell the difference. I myself have had multiple games on both. Watch Dogs, Metro, Metal Gear Solid, etc and have had friends over that swear they can tell the difference. When I boot both up and switch back and forth they then see that what they thought they could tell as a difference due to sights like Digital Foundry are greatly exaggerated vs real world viewing. I have an 80" ISF calibrated set so I think the diffence would be more profound.
DaverJ likes this.
post #970 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Roundup

It's like anything else, the difference depends on your experience and your expectations. It's a much smaller difference than between bluray and DVD. Considering how many people say they can't see or don't care about the difference there, I'm not surprised to hear that very, very few people actually care about the difference in practice. It's so small it's to the point where I don't even think the average consumer should consider it in their buying decision. But the average AVS reader will almost certainly see it, care about it, and then go out and spend $1000 on a real gaming PC because both consoles aren't even close to good enough.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #971 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 AM

I agree to the point that you can have fun regardless of which system you play, but it is amazing to me on a site that is generally devoted to the nuances in differences in receivers, projectors, media and related tech, that the resolution and frame rate difference (plus the harder to quantify in game effects) is not a big deal. Maybe it's because I play on a 120" projection and have 20/10 vision that I can appreciate the extra fidelity in image. It'll be most telling in 2-3 years how big or narrow the gap in performance will be, but with 6 additional GPU Compute units, I'm betting on the former.

post #972 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I only bought both cause I like new shinny electronics. But I feel there was no fire with this launch. Maybe this time next year the fire will be burning.
I bought them both because I have mates that play each. They won't crossover so I have to have both to play with them.
post #973 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

On the subject of platform vs platform, an indie dev sounded off on the xbox indie release parity clause and how it is keeping games off the platform rather than bringing them to it.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=947986

Post 46 is really eye opening.

Last edited by PENDRAG0ON; 12-08-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #974 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
On the subject of platform vs platform, an indie dev sounded off on the xbox indie release parity clause and how it is keeping games off the platform rather than bringing them to it.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=947986

Post 46 is really eye opening.

It's a feather in their cap but kind of a hollow victory, the vast majority of these PS4 indie exclusives still come to PS4 months later than Steam. I recall some numbers being thrown around that the entire indie game industry combined doesn't even approach the numbers that a single AAA game like GTA or CoD puts up, so in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter all that much. The system requirements are usually so low anyone who really cares to play them can use their 5 year old laptop and pay $5 or less for them instead of the $15 Sony charges.

It's funny how a year ago I thought this console war really mattered, it's pretty clear to me now that it doesn't. The things console gamers keep demanding are things that PC gamers already have, and PC is closing the usability gap faster than consoles are catching up to PC with everything else. Their relevance is clearly waning, one by one I've watched my friends drop consoles in favor of PC and not a single person has expressed a desire to go back.

post #975 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

After nine years away from PC gaming I still have no desire to go back. I certainly don't miss the days of spending hundreds on just a video card.

LED DLP
post #976 of 993 Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
After nine years away from PC gaming I still have no desire to go back. I certainly don't miss the days of spending hundreds on just a video card.
But what if you could buy a PC for the same price of a console, but it performed just as well and was just as easy to use?

post #977 of 993 Old 12-09-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
But what if you could buy a PC for the same price of a console, but it performed just as well and was just as easy to use?
No matter what with a PC you will have to upgrade. With a console the specs are typically fixed for the life of the console. WIth a PC there will be constant upgrades involved since there are quality options for the games.

LED DLP
post #978 of 993 Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No matter what with a PC you will have to upgrade. With a console the specs are typically fixed for the life of the console. WIth a PC there will be constant upgrades involved since there are quality options for the games.

That's one of the things that has changed though. These consoles are just PC architecture with locked down OSes. If your PC runs games better than an Xbox one today, it'll likely still run games better than an Xbox one 5 years from now.

If you're trying to say the temptation to upgrade is so irresistible that you'd rather not have the option, then I guess consoles enforce a certain level of self control...assuming they don't release any upgrades themselves.

post #979 of 993 Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM

I would love to see a PC build list for 349 or 399 that would compete with the consoles. Don't forget that, includes case, OS, and peripherals (mouse/keyboard).

post #980 of 993 Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would love to see a PC build list for 349 or 399 that would compete with the consoles. Don't forget that, includes case, OS, and peripherals (mouse/keyboard).
You can buy the prebuilt alienware alpha, it's smaller than both, includes all of the above and reviews have said it runs games better than consoles. It's $549 but I guarantee you'll save more than $150-200 in your first year due to cheaper games and no MP sub. I'm sure you can do a little better building yourself, even the OS adds a ton to the cost for now but that's looking very likely to change with windows 10.

Realistically you'll need to spend a little more up front but there's no question it's less expensive once you're in. For instance, you can spend $60 for a plus/gold sub and get 1-2 inexpensive games every month that you don't choose, but if you put that towards humble bundles you'd come away with 100+ games for the same cash and you would be shocked how many of those games overlap with the plus/gold subs. Virtually every single AAA game is at least $10-20 cheaper than on consoles outside of the first week. Ubisoft practically gives their games away every holiday, you can buy a $80 250GB SSD and get Far Cry 4 for free. AC unity and the crew codes are all over the internet for like $20 because of video card bundles. And of course the infamous steam sales put the console sales to shame. I've spent so little on games this year and I'm awash in more games than I could ever find time to play. I've even pulled in so much ($50ish I think) selling those silly trading cards steam gives you for playing that they need to send me an IRS form.

The usability question is still open to debate, but the cost/value argument doesn't hold up anymore unless you only buy one or two games a year.

post #981 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
I agree to the point that you can have fun regardless of which system you play, but it is amazing to me on a site that is generally devoted to the nuances in differences in receivers, projectors, media and related tech, that the resolution and frame rate difference (plus the harder to quantify in game effects) is not a big deal. Maybe it's because I play on a 120" projection and have 20/10 vision that I can appreciate the extra fidelity in image. It'll be most telling in 2-3 years how big or narrow the gap in performance will be, but with 6 additional GPU Compute units, I'm betting on the former.
I'm lucky to have a nice 65" Plasma in my little apartment. While I don't have a Xbox One I have played some at friends. I can tell the difference in framerate and image quality on the games I've played. The Xbox One isn't a bad system, neither is the Wii U, they are both good systems with some nice games., I just went with the better system for a gaming stand point as I have no need for Kinect or skype or making my console a DVR. PS4 was an easy choice at $100 for a significantly better performing gaming system as that is the main focus.

My biggest problem is too many games and not enough time to play them all! The last month has had quite a few awesome releases! DriveClub, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age are the top three I'm playing. I've barely touch COD:AW and a couple of others. Sony's event last weekend assure my savings account will not be growing any time soon.

Last edited by freemeat; 12-11-2014 at 02:28 PM.
post #982 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still trying to find time to get in my FFXIV fix and play all the great games I picked up... it isn't going well for those other games.
post #983 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That's one of the things that has changed though. These consoles are just PC architecture with locked down OSes. If your PC runs games better than an Xbox one today, it'll likely still run games better than an Xbox one 5 years from now.

If you're trying to say the temptation to upgrade is so irresistible that you'd rather not have the option, then I guess consoles enforce a certain level of self control...assuming they don't release any upgrades themselves.
If I went the PC route I would want to take full advantage of it which is expensive. I wouldn't want to settle for these new boxes that will run at 1080P with mediocre settings. But then I also don't want to go back to spending a ton of money on PCs. I used to upgrade them every few months. Even at once a year would be alot.

LED DLP
post #984 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If I went the PC route I would want to take full advantage of it which is expensive. I wouldn't want to settle for these new boxes that will run at 1080P with mediocre settings. But then I also don't want to go back to spending a ton of money on PCs. I used to upgrade them every few months. Even at once a year would be alot.

But you're ok settling with consoles that do 900p at low settings?

post #985 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

my thought is that when choosing a gaming console, you better not be making frame rate or resolution your number one deciding factor. if that's all your after, a console isn't the right choice to begin with.

so assuming we are all buying a console for the 'right' reasons(so whatever reason you don't want to game on a pc), then it makes perfect sense to me that the xbox one or ps4 might suit your needs better. whether you want something that's simpler to use, or integrates better into your living room, or has the exclusives you're most interested in. those seem like good reasons to choose one console over the other.

it just seems odd to me to pick one because it has 10% better graphics, when i'm sure the PC version will be 50% better than that.

for me, the fact the ps4 should run games better, is like 4th or 5th down on my priority list. i will admit that pc gaming seems like the 'logical' choice for me right now, but i have an unexplainable attachment to consoles that just makes me want either a ps4 or xbone. between those two, i consider controllers, games, what my friends have, price for the console and accessories, and media playback to all be more important than frame rate or resolution.

post #986 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:

I LOVE just being able to insert a disc and hitting play. It just works. No more scrounging for driver updates, scanning for sales on newegg, 3DMark benchmark tests, keeping malware off the thing. It may not have bleeding edge graphics, but neither will a 549 dollar PC. Also it's usually 1080p at medium settings from what I see.

I may just be getting older though... Still a work in progress on the wiser part!

post #987 of 993 Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yes. Because it costs much less and is much easier to deal with than a PC for gaming. The games are designed to work with the console. PC games can have a huge difference since there are so many configurations. And if I put the effort in to build or buy a gaming rig, I would want to make sure it can play at high framerates and resolutions. Otherwise a console is fine., But that is the exact reason I don't want to mess with a PC. Because I will be continually buying components to improve it as specs improve. I had enough of that in the 90's and early 2000's. I swore I would never go back to spending thousands of dollars a year upgrading my PCs. And so far I've done very well over the last nine years since I haven't used my PCs for gaming. So the on board video or an inexpensive video card is all I need.

LED DLP
post #988 of 993 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I LOVE just being able to insert a disc and hitting play. It just works. No more scrounging for driver updates, scanning for sales on newegg, 3DMark benchmark tests, keeping malware off the thing. It may not have bleeding edge graphics, but neither will a 549 dollar PC. Also it's usually 1080p at medium settings from what I see.

I may just be getting older though... Still a work in progress on the wiser part!
All that stuff is easier but you it helps to have a certain mindset. I enjoy all the tinkering so that doesn't seem like a negative to me. Nowadays you dont have to do all that stuff if you don't want to, but I know having the option at all makes you feel like you need to do it. Drivers and patches are a non-issue nowadays though, all of that is automatic. And there's a zillion sites that consolidate all the deals for you. And you can't get malware on anything newer than vista unless you're trying or a total moron. It's come a long way.

Last edited by bd2003; Yesterday at 08:01 AM.
post #989 of 993 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
my thought is that when choosing a gaming console, you better not be making frame rate or resolution your number one deciding factor. if that's all your after, a console isn't the right choice to begin with.

so assuming we are all buying a console for the 'right' reasons(so whatever reason you don't want to game on a pc), then it makes perfect sense to me that the xbox one or ps4 might suit your needs better. whether you want something that's simpler to use, or integrates better into your living room, or has the exclusives you're most interested in. those seem like good reasons to choose one console over the other.

it just seems odd to me to pick one because it has 10% better graphics, when i'm sure the PC version will be 50% better than that.

for me, the fact the ps4 should run games better, is like 4th or 5th down on my priority list. i will admit that pc gaming seems like the 'logical' choice for me right now, but i have an unexplainable attachment to consoles that just makes me want either a ps4 or xbone. between those two, i consider controllers, games, what my friends have, price for the console and accessories, and media playback to all be more important than frame rate or resolution.
Resolution and framerate aren't the deciding factor. I doubt many people with and Xbox360 and and Xbox one or a PS4 and PS3 will opt to by all cross gen games on the 360. Same goes to somebody who might own a PS4 and and XBox one, if a game runs significantly better or looks better on the PS4 well unless you have a major controller preference then it's an easy choice.

First and foremost it is the games I want to play. The massive technological hardware advantages are worthless if there are no games you want to play. That said they all have their exclusives people want be Mario, Halo, Uncharted, etc.. The graphics and sound are a big factor for sure as well. Just like I'd much rather have blu-ray over DVD, if I had both systems it would be easy to choose the PS4 version over the other two.. Of course when 90% of the cross-platform games run and or look better on the PS4 that makes me happy as well (some games simply don't push a systems abilities). It really just makes me wish the Nintendo and Xbox exclusives were on the PS4 as well, thinking of how much better they could be.

I'm not knocking people who buy consoles for non-gaming aspects like skype and tivo functionality, we all have different wants in a product. It is good there are multiple options for those that want something different. Of course you can always by more than one option as well.

Last edited by freemeat; Yesterday at 11:43 AM.
post #990 of 993 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All that stuff is easier but you it helps to have a certain mindset. I enjoy all the tinkering so that doesn't seem like a negative to me. Nowadays you dont have to do all that stuff if you don't want to, but I know having the option at all makes you feel like you need to do it. Drivers and patches are a non-issue nowadays though, all of that is automatic. And there's a zillion sites that consolidate all the deals for you. And you can't get malware on anything newer than vista unless you're trying or a total moron. It's come a long way.
one 'knock' against consoles... as I stare at the 400bux worth of 'accessories' I've bought for the 360 that will be completely useless with the xbone, I can appreciate the pc architecture a little more. not to mention all the games that are not playable on the new system.

I think it's impossible to argue that console gaming is cheaper anymore. it just isn't. but I'm still not that excited to start gaming on a pc. I'm brainwashed into loving consoles
freemeat likes this.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U Games , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox One Games , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page