Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Roundup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,101
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 1614

My first videogame console was an Atari 2600. When I was a kid, I remember thinking to myself, "Someday, videogame graphics will look totally realistic." With the launch of Sony and Microsoft's latest gaming machines, that childhood dream is now reality.

 

My first console was an Atari 2600

 

After a seven-year wait, fans of console gaming now have two brand-new systems to choose between. It's an impressive bit of retail-savvy timing, releasing the two platforms only a week apart—just in time for the holiday shopping season. Whereas Nintendo enjoyed success in previous generations, the Wii-U is widely considered a flop, due to extremely poor sales. In contrast, Sony's PlayStation 4 set a new record for console sales in North America. Last week, the company sold 1 million PlayStation 4 units in one day. Microsoft pulled off a similar feat, selling over one million Xbox One units in one day.

 

There's plenty to read about both systems. There are numerous reviews and comparisons. There are articles documenting hardware issues. There is some discussion about Microsoft's play for living-room dominance and Sony's laser-like focus on gaming—at the expense of features that people took for granted on the PlayStation 3. In all, there is a lot to digest, so I put together a short list of articles that could be worth a look.

I want to know, is this the true dawn of the golden era of gaming? Initial sales of these eighth-generation consoles indicate the answer is a resounding "YES!"

 


 

Twin reviews are everywhere—most major tech sites have at least one for Xbox and one for PS4. Polygon.com gives the Xbox One an 8.0 rating, while the PlayStation 4 receives a 7.5 rating. 

 

Quote:
"The Xbox One is an impressive marriage of software and hardware that raises the bar in terms of what we expect from a living-room machine. Looking forward more than it looks back, the Xbox One feels like it's from the future."  polygon.com
Quote:
"But the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software. That failing is sure to improve — better games and more of them will appear on the PlayStation 4 — but right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it. Early adopters of the PS4 this fall are buying potential energy. We're just waiting for a place to spend it." polygon.com

 

 

image from polygon.com

 


 

There are plenty of articles about the new benchmark for day-one console sales: One million units.

 

Quote:
"Not to be outdone by the PlayStation 4 selling one million consoles in just 24 hours, Microsoft announced today that the Xbox One also achieved the 24 hour, million console milestone." gamespot.com

 

Demand for both consoles appears to be strong, even after the day-one rush.

 

Quote:
"Although we won't reveal the total amount of units for competitive reasons, our share was higher than on any previous console launch, and our sell-through since launch was 80% higher than the total amount of PS3s that we sold in our 2006 fiscal year," 

 "The value of our reservations and the additional allocation is 15% higher than the amount of 
Xbox 360s that we sold during our entire 2005 fiscal year," 

GameStop President Tony Bartel, as reported by Techradar.com

 

image from techradar.com

 


 

CNET feels it may be worth waiting before buying either console.
 

Quote:
"The bottom line: The Xbox One goes beyond gaming with its ambitious live TV integration, but at launch it can't deliver a knockout blow to the PS4 due to a higher price and uneven voice control. We suggest you wait for improvements, but for now, the Xbox One is better suited to forgiving early adopters." CNET.com

 

Quote:
"The bottom line: The PlayStation 4's beautiful graphics, blazing interface, and near-perfect controller make it a worthy successor to the PS3, but it would be wise to wait for more titles and features before you buy." CNET.com

 


 

There are plenty of consoles in stock at Best Buy for anyone who did not pre-order.

 

Quote:
"Based on acquired units outside of pre-orders for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Best Buy is confident the company will be able to stock both next-gen consoles well through December, vice president of entertainment Chris Koller told Polygon." - Polygon.com

image from polygon.com

 


 

Of course, along with all the good news, there are occasional reports of glitches.
 

Quote:
"Stop me if you’ve heard this one: Starting Thursday night, a major tech company sold more than one million units of its next-gen gaming console, and since then has had to contend with scattered user reports of hardware defects." allthingsd.com

 


 

PC world discusses how the Xbox One fits into Microsoft's microcosm and whether it competes with actual PCs.
 

Quote:
"Oh, there are indeed many commonalities between the two machines. But don’t believe for a second that an Xbox One will replace your gaming PC or your office PC—or even serve to supplement the PC itself. In some scenarios, in fact, a PC or a phone is almost a necessity for enjoying an optimal Xbox One experience." pcworld.com
Archaea, popalock and kbeam418 like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Member
 
PcGeek626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great wright up mark.
I would love to buy either xbox one or ps4, but I'm one of those gamers would wait. But for now I will stick to 360 and gaming pc.

Pure Audio = Audio Goodness
PcGeek626 is offline  
post #3 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
PlayNice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I only bought both cause I like new shinny electronics. But I feel there was no fire with this launch. Maybe this time next year the fire will be burning.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
PlayNice is offline  
post #4 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I brought an Xbox One for Titanfall in March. I figured it would be to early for a price cut by then, so I might as well get it now. I also have been gaming since the early days. Still fond memories of my launch day ColecoVision. I agree this is one of worst "next-gen" leap since the Atari 5200. There has been nothing shown that made me go wow, this is really next gen stuff. I think we are going to have to wait a few years for 4K/3D or virtual reality to offer us something new and innovative in video gaming. The Occulus Rift and the AVegant VRD both look promising for next gen gaming.
barrelbelly likes this.
sytech is offline  
post #5 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
i like what the xbox one is trying to do. it's definitely more revolutionary, and has a lot more exciting promises.

however, I really hate the way MS is going about it. i'm not at all confident in my internet connection, and I am not ready to rely on it, so I want the maximum offline gaming experience. also not thrilled that a live account is required for basically ALL online features. this is a huge negative because I NEVER game online. i'm also unsure how well some of these features will actually work in the real world, and if they will be something I actually want to use often. I remember thinking the wii was going to be super cool too... so who knows at this point.

the PS4 on the other hand, feels like a safe bet at the moment. i'm pretty confident that it will play games well, and since it doesn't require as much online connectivity, it should work the way i'm used to as well. it is however, merely an evolution of current gaming systems. it's not enough change to make me an early adopter, especially with no backward compatibility, and seemingly less media functionality than the ps3

I will be waiting to see how they handle the first few months. if there's any reliability issues, and of course what exclusives I find interesting. but I think it'll basically come down to how well the xbox one's extra features end up working. if they end up being practical, and working with more complicated home theatres where the xbox is not the center of the universe, i'm certainly willing to give up a bit on the initial graphics. if it doesn't, if it 'requires' LIVE to be functional, or if it doesn't integrate well with the devices I currently use, then the ps4 seems like a better value for me.
kkirsche likes this.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #6 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
PS4 sold 1,000,000 just in NA.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

home theater addict
saprano is online now  
post #7 of 962 Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

I brought an Xbox One for Titanfall in March. I figured it would be to early for a price cut by then, so I might as well get it now. I also have been gaming since the early days. Still fond memories of my launch day ColecoVision. I agree this is one of worst "next-gen" leap since the Atari 5200. There has been nothing shown that made me go wow, this is really next gen stuff. I think we are going to have to wait a few years for 4K/3D or virtual reality to offer us something new and innovative in video gaming. The Occulus Rift and the AVegant VRD both look promising for next gen gaming.

I think this is because they really did manage to squeeze a lot out of the old consoles, and speaking in terms of a/v, the old consoles already pretty much maxed out current standards. if the psmove and Kinect had not been implemented already, those would probably seem pretty 'next gen' at this point.

to be honest, 4k and 3D don't seem the least bit interesting to me at this point anyway. it's going to be half a decade before I consider a 4k display, if I ever do for anything less than a projector. I do think it would be interesting to see some innovations for multiplayer gaming(offline). I doubt it'll ever happen, because apparently ppl don't want to be with other ppl anymore, but I think it'd be pretty cool to see a console with dual display capabilities or something like that so you could do some local fullscreen multiplayer gaming. I would also find it pretty revolutionary to see some more networking options, perhaps the ability to play games on TV's that aren't directly connected(I think the ps4 can sorta do this with the vita?). sometimes I want to do some gaming in the bedroom(i'm sick or whatever), but it's not worth disconnecting from the main theatre room, and transferring the whole thing to the bedroom.

I guess we'll see what developers do with some of the new features(touchpad on ps4 for example) and cameras. maybe there will be enough little changes to add up to a significantly better experience overall.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #8 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
teckademic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So, if the XBOX sold a million units like the ps4 did in 24hrs, does that mean that they were better prepared for launch than the PS4? I only ask because the XBOX has not been hard to find since release date from BestBuy and Target and have been in stock everyday since release, whereas the PS4 has not or at least remain on the shelves long enough to see it in stock.
teckademic is offline  
post #9 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I was disappointed in both offerings.

I currently have the XBOX 360 ( second one as the first one kept breaking down ) and a PS3. I'm not a gamer but I do enjoy the Kinect on XBOX 360. The media apps are inferior to the PS3 and cost more to use. I will keep my XBOX 360 because it plays my HD DVD collection and does Kinect. But I hate the $60 a year subscription cost.

The PS3 has Blu Ray and 3D. Does not require expensive membership fee to play subscription Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Plays 3D Blu Ray and 3D Netflix, Vudu 3D too. Bit is is noisy and kicks out a lot of heat. I had hoped the PS4 would be quieter and not as hot. Hoped for PS4 to play 3D Blu Ray and Netflix 3D in 1080p. Disappointed on all counts.

Conclusion- Don't buy either! Both would be $900 to go backwards in capability. I sold my stock in Microsoft too. Only thing I see in these would be bragging rights to say I have the latest. Sony may get my money bit it won't be for a PS4 before it does 3D in 1080p on Netflix.
pdoherty972 likes this.
Don Landis is offline  
post #10 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Newbie
 
definite_article's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
So, if the XBOX sold a million units like the ps4 did in 24hrs, does that mean that they were better prepared for launch than the PS4?

The simple answer to this is no.

Sony sold through a million consoles in North America and Canada alone. The launch for other markets has yet to arrive. Microsoft however sold through a million consoles, but they released the product in 13 countries.

The retail numbers should only really be considered as a reliable judgement of comparative success in perhaps 6 months or so down the line.
definite_article is offline  
post #11 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Member
 
necroticart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

PS4 sold 1,000,000 just in NA.

Yep can't wait to see how they do in the rest of the world. What really gets me about Microsoft is how US centric they are. How is launching a product in 13 countries and netting the same sales the playstation did In 1 country considered good.
necroticart is offline  
post #12 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,101
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by necroticart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

PS4 sold 1,000,000 just in NA.

Yep can't wait to see how they do in the rest of the world. What really gets me about Microsoft is how US centric they are. How is launching a product in 13 countries and netting the same sales the playstation did In 1 country considered good.

Canada, the 51'st state! But seriously... the PS4 sold spectacularly well.


Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #13 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 1330

I'm personally finding them both really half baked from a HT perspective, it's annoying to have to drag my PS3 back down to my theater in order to watch a 3D blu ray. I don't care for any of the kinect features, nor do I have any use for the xbox one's TV features, so most of what they've done is completely irrelevant to me. I do think the xbox one interface is light years ahead of the usability disaster that the PS4 is, but like the HT features, that's software that can be updated and improved over time. The hardware on the other hand is what it is, and it's unlikely to change for years. 

 

There's just no getting around the fact that the PS4 is much more powerful, and I'm just not interested in playing games in 720p and 30fps in 2013. The xbox one simply cut too many corners on the gaming hardware. The HT features and UI gap may close over time, but there will always be a persistent quality gap between the two when it comes to raw image quality in games. Beyond that, the PS4 controller feels superior, I find the xbox one controller feels more like a regression from the 360 controller than an improvement. I do think the xbox one console itself looks much nicer than the PS4 though (even though it's HUGE!) 

 

Overall the PS4 is coming out ahead where it really matters. It falls short in a few places, but I'm hoping by this time next year they'll have updated the software and caught up.


Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #14 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,101
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
 

I'm personally finding them both really half baked from a HT perspective, it's annoying to have to drag my PS3 back down to my theater in order to watch a 3D blu ray. I don't care for any of the kinect features, nor do I have any use for the xbox one's TV features, so most of what they've done is completely irrelevant to me. I do think the xbox one interface is light years ahead of the usability disaster that the PS4 is, but like the HT features, that's software that can be updated and improved over time. The hardware on the other hand is what it is, and it's unlikely to change for years. 

 

There's just no getting around the fact that the PS4 is much more powerful, and I'm just not interested in playing games in 720p and 30fps in 2013. The xbox one simply cut too many corners on the gaming hardware. The HT features and UI gap may close over time, but there will always be a persistent quality gap between the two when it comes to raw image quality in games. Beyond that, the PS4 controller feels superior, I find the xbox one controller feels more like a regression from the 360 controller than an improvement. I do think the xbox one console itself looks much nicer than the PS4 though (even though it's HUGE!) 

 

Overall the PS4 is coming out ahead where it really matters. It falls short in a few places, but I'm hoping by this time next year they'll have updated the software and caught up.

Selling my PS3 in anticipation of the PS4 turned out to be a mistake. Now I'm left wondering if I really want one of these new consoles at all, as opposed to putting $400-500 into a new video card. I'm sure I'll buy the PS4 eventually.

The fact that the Xbox HDMI input degrades both audio and video quality is unforgivable, IMO. The fact that the PS4 can't play any local content is unforgivable. The fact that so many games are missing from both platforms is almost unforgivable. Time to wait and see.


Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #15 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I feel like the excitement and true amazement from next gen consoles is about over. I remember Super Nintendo to N64, then to gamecube, playstation to playstation 2, those were BIG jumps that drastically improved what the consoles are supposed to be all about. GAMING! I feel like they ran out of ideas or the ability to improve the consoles much more than they have already been improved, which is why they are making the consoles able to do other things like stream videos, interact with the television etc. Also explains why the 360 and PS3 were out for almost 10 years! There isn't room for much improvement anymore it seems. Either that, or they just stopped caring as much. I miss the excitement of new consoles and games frown.gif
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #16 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

but I think it'd be pretty cool to see a console with dual display capabilities or something like that so you could do some local fullscreen multiplayer gaming..

Some of the new 4K displays have something call Splitview that allows 2 people to game on one screen at the same time, if the wear polarized glasses. Each of them gets the full size of the screen at 1080p instead of the full 2160p.
sytech is offline  
post #17 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Selling my PS3 in anticipation of the PS4 turned out to be a mistake. Now I'm left wondering if I really want one of these new consoles at all, as opposed to putting $400-500 into a new video card. I'm sure I'll buy the PS4 eventually.


The fact that the Xbox HDMI input degrades both audio and video quality is unforgivable, IMO. The fact that the PS4 can't play any local content is unforgivable. The fact that so many games are missing from both platforms is almost unforgivable. Time to wait and see.

Yeah, I never would have thought they'd both be so gimped from a HT perspective on day one. I'm only mildly disappointed by that because I still have plenty of other devices to fill that need while they get up to speed.

I hasn't heard anything about the Xbox degrading quality though, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,523
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
As a launch day owner of the Xbox360 and a launch week owner of the PS3 - I bought neither console this go round.

I'm going to let the dust settle - if I even decide to buy one. For last gen I played games on the Xbox 360 with all my buds. Live was worth the cost for multiplayer. The PS3's live attempt was pitiful - free or not. For media consumption and bluray use - obviously the PS3 got the nod.

In the end I was using the PS3 more than the 360 - simply because I'm not playing games on either console anymore and play my games on the PC once more - since the games look significantly better on a PC with updated hardware. This is the first launch in some time, IMO, where current gen PC games look as good or better than the best console games. Usually console games wow me for a time over the PC games -- for a year or two anyway.

signed ---

long time PC gamer - who flirts with consoles on occasion.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is offline  
post #19 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I was disappointed in both offerings.

I currently have the XBOX 360 ( second one as the first one kept breaking down ) and a PS3. I'm not a gamer but I do enjoy the Kinect on XBOX 360. The media apps are inferior to the PS3 and cost more to use. I will keep my XBOX 360 because it plays my HD DVD collection and does Kinect. But I hate the $60 a year subscription cost.

The PS3 has Blu Ray and 3D. Does not require expensive membership fee to play subscription Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Plays 3D Blu Ray and 3D Netflix, Vudu 3D too. Bit is is noisy and kicks out a lot of heat. I had hoped the PS4 would be quieter and not as hot. Hoped for PS4 to play 3D Blu Ray and Netflix 3D in 1080p. Disappointed on all counts.

Conclusion- Don't buy either! Both would be $900 to go backwards in capability. I sold my stock in Microsoft too. Only thing I see in these would be bragging rights to say I have the latest. Sony may get my money bit it won't be for a PS4 before it does 3D in 1080p on Netflix.

just keep in mind how pathetic both the ps3 and xbox 360 were at launch compared to current offerings. the 360 had component video output still...

I think most of what you're looking for on the ps4 WILL come with future updates. the hardware is more than capable of doing everything the ps3 does and more. i'm pretty sure they had to rush development to get it released, and those were the things they crossed off the 'must have at launch' list. but if they want to sell consoles a year from now, they will need those features.

anyway, not saying you should be happy buying one now, just that I wouldn't write off the consoles. i'm sure 2-3yrs from now, nobody is going to think the ps3 or 360 is better than the ps4 or xbone anymore
fierce_gt is offline  
post #20 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by definite_article View Post

The simple answer to this is no.

Sony sold through a million consoles in North America and Canada alone. The launch for other markets has yet to arrive. Microsoft however sold through a million consoles, but they released the product in 13 countries.

The retail numbers should only really be considered as a reliable judgement of comparative success in perhaps 6 months or so down the line.

the 'success' of the ps4 may have been better, because of what you're saying. but MS was 'more prepared' since they had more consoles available. if that's how you determine preparation anyway...
fierce_gt is offline  
post #21 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm personally finding them both really half baked from a HT perspective, it's annoying to have to drag my PS3 back down to my theater in order to watch a 3D blu ray. I don't care for any of the kinect features, nor do I have any use for the xbox one's TV features, so most of what they've done is completely irrelevant to me. I do think the xbox one interface is light years ahead of the usability disaster that the PS4 is, but like the HT features, that's software that can be updated and improved over time. The hardware on the other hand is what it is, and it's unlikely to change for years. 

There's just no getting around the fact that the PS4 is much more powerful, and I'm just not interested in playing games in 720p and 30fps in 2013. The xbox one simply cut too many corners on the gaming hardware. The HT features and UI gap may close over time, but there will always be a persistent quality gap between the two when it comes to raw image quality in games. Beyond that, the PS4 controller feels superior, I find the xbox one controller feels more like a regression from the 360 controller than an improvement. I do think the xbox one console itself looks much nicer than the PS4 though (even though it's HUGE!) 

Overall the PS4 is coming out ahead where it really matters. It falls short in a few places, but I'm hoping by this time next year they'll have updated the software and caught up.

I agree on most parts, except that cloud computing, that is supposedly going to be used for the xbone, would mean that 'gaming hardware' will actually get upgraded, and done automatically at MS's end. it's certainly possible that the xbone will be able to play games at higher resolution and higher frame rate in the future. not to mention, who knows what ms/sony will do with future releases of the console. both the ps3 and xbox360 are vastly different machines than they were at launch.

that being said, I personally feel more confident having the power right in my own room, and not having to rely on a good connection to the 'cloud' in order to play a game at next gen levels.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #22 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Some of the new 4K displays have something call Splitview that allows 2 people to game on one screen at the same time, if the wear polarized glasses. Each of them gets the full size of the screen at 1080p instead of the full 2160p.
yes, LG has done that with their 1080p TV's too. I think it's really cool. but i'm thinking more like how a PC can extend on to multiple displays. in the past I've had friends over to play games, and we've hooked up a second console to allow more ppl to play. I just think it'd be a useful feature to have a second video output so you don't need two games, and two consoles to play the same game with a friend in the same room.

only problem, is it goes against online gaming, which seems to be priority number one these days... frown.gif
fierce_gt is offline  
post #23 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I feel like the excitement and true amazement from next gen consoles is about over. I remember Super Nintendo to N64, then to gamecube, playstation to playstation 2, those were BIG jumps that drastically improved what the consoles are supposed to be all about. GAMING! I feel like they ran out of ideas or the ability to improve the consoles much more than they have already been improved, which is why they are making the consoles able to do other things like stream videos, interact with the television etc. Also explains why the 360 and PS3 were out for almost 10 years! There isn't room for much improvement anymore it seems. Either that, or they just stopped caring as much. I miss the excitement of new consoles and games frown.gif

I feel this way too. although to be honest, I stopped gaming completely when I was in high school, so I almost missed the 360/ps3 launch completely. I bought my 360 used about 2.5yrs after launch... but yes, I remember the NES to SNES being a "OMG must cut grass and shovel driveways to afford this", and the N64 my brother and I pooled out money together so we could buy it shortly after release.

I wasn't sure if this gen's lack of excitement was about me, or the products. i'm pretty satisfied with how games play on the 360 and ps3, so it's not like i'm wanting/needing any improvements there. so i'm thinking part of the issue is there isn't really anywhere to improve as far as the a/v aspect goes. even if 4k TV's were already the norm, i'm not convinced yet that 4k even matters at screens under 100". so it really seems like it'll be advancements in software that make the difference now. if developers can take use of the consoles camera's in a more practical way(imagine if it tracked your head, so when you leaned to the left, your screen moved to show your new view) or who knows what they might come up with. I saw one review claim that xbone's camera may be able to read your HR and mood. thriller games could potentially take advantage of that
fierce_gt is offline  
post #24 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post


I agree on most parts, except that cloud computing, that is supposedly going to be used for the xbone, would mean that 'gaming hardware' will actually get upgraded, and done automatically at MS's end. it's certainly possible that the xbone will be able to play games at higher resolution and higher frame rate in the future. not to mention, who knows what ms/sony will do with future releases of the console. both the ps3 and xbox360 are vastly different machines than they were at launch.

that being said, I personally feel more confident having the power right in my own room, and not having to rely on a good connection to the 'cloud' in order to play a game at next gen levels.

 

It's all nonsense. Most here would probably consider me the authority for gaming tech on AVS...take it from me, just total nonsense. There are very, very few things they can do on "the cloud" to increase real-time graphical fidelity, certainly absolutely nothing they can use it for to increase resolution and framerate.

 

Don't believe the hype.


Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #25 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I'm Next Gen and Next-Next Gen ready with my new PC build from earlier in the year. I wouldn't touch either of these new consoles right now because of their known flaws...omissions...ridiculous compromises...and reckless disregard for the wishes of a huge number of their install bases. And by that I mean backward compatibility of popular features/applications and game library. Both will change dramatically IMO by the end of 2014 in the face of a declining sales reality. Miraculously both console makers pretty much launched "Bricks" from a games standpoint. And that reality will persist though 2014 IMO. I don't see a single "must have" title with either one of them. All of the TV integration...Blu-Ray/3D integration or lack thereof was so decidedly 2005ish. I think many consumers will quickly realize that PS3 and Xbox 360 are much better gaming values as the prices decline on both. And both have huge game libraries to boot. I have been a very loyal Xbox 360 user. So I will stick with it and the PC. In fact I will add the PS3 for a better Blu-Ray experience than PS4. And have access to its huge game library that I didn't play last gen. So my next gen setup is PC for serious hard core Next Gen gaming and VR/3D readiness...Xbox 360, WiiU and PS3 for optimum console gaming experience. Especially when you add the Hard Drive options now. They will only get better too in the short term.

Right now I am miles away from even being remotely interested in buying XB1 and PS4 or any of their exclusive games. IMO both are just fatally restricted, beefed up versions of their current consoles. Problem is...neither is "Fish nor Fowl" tom to me. THey both feel like "Hamburger".
barrelbelly is offline  
post #26 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

So, if the XBOX sold a million units like the ps4 did in 24hrs, does that mean that they were better prepared for launch than the PS4? I only ask because the XBOX has not been hard to find since release date from BestBuy and Target and have been in stock everyday since release, whereas the PS4 has not or at least remain on the shelves long enough to see it in stock.

Sony sold a million in North American, while Microsoft's numbers are 12 countries including NA. They still sold far more than even their best launch to their credit, but Sony had more sales it seems. NPD numbers should be out Dec 12th confirming it.


Great write up OP with only two qualms; Please don't link Polygon, as they're more a front for one of these companies and do have an agenda. There's info about their astroturf founding and a quick analysis of their system reviews shows some interesting biases compared to statistical average. There's much more credible, unbiased sites out there that deserve the clicks.

Second; this is a continuation of the golden age of gaming that the 360, PS3, Steam, and humble bundle have already started! Price wars, too many AAA/AA games to play, and generally a revolution in how content is delivered and experienced. Sony, Microsoft, and Valve are just continuing the awesomeness for gamers that started some time between 2010-2012 IMO.

My last gen backlog of 100's of hours just confirms it!
JustaSheep likes this.
TyrantII is offline  
post #27 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Nice write up imagic! My first console was an Atari 2600 too. Me and my older sis had share it. You can guess how well that worked out lol.

I too as a youngster would imagine and dream about graphics of future consoles. I always wanted more wether it's was the NES, Genesis,SNES, or Playstation or whatever console I had. Going thru all that really make
a guy appreciate how amazing these new consoles look. Not sure if younger kids can really appreciate it.

I love my PS4 and think the graphics on KZ Shadowfall are amazing. Looking forward to next years game releases and beyond!

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #28 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Nice write up imagic! My first console was an Atari 2600 too. Me and my older sis had share it. You can guess how well that worked out lol.

I too as a youngster would imagine and dream about graphics of future consoles. I always wanted more wether it's was the NES, Genesis,SNES, or Playstation or whatever console I had. Going thru all that really make
a guy appreciate how amazing these new consoles look. Not sure if younger kids can really appreciate it.

I love my PS4 and think the graphics on KZ Shadowfall are amazing. Looking forward to next years game releases and beyond!

Ya, me too.

I wouldn't be mad at a PS4 with some sweet wood paneling. smile.gif

My son is two weeks old tomorrow, the first console he'll probably have any real memory of is the PS5. In a way I'm kind of jealous! Lucky for him I still have all my old consoles. (other than the 2600, but I still have like 50 games)

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #29 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Ya, me too.

I wouldn't be mad at a PS4 with some sweet wood paneling. smile.gif

My son is two weeks old tomorrow, the first console he'll probably have any real memory of is the PS5. In a way I'm kind of jealous! Lucky for him I still have all my old consoles. (other than the 2600, but I still have like 50 games)
Wood paneling with veneer would b badass!

Nice man amazing to think what will be available 15-20 years from now. I would guess holographics maybe?

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #30 of 962 Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
lurkor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My biggest complaint with the PlayStation was the cruelshock controller, but it sounds like they finally fixed it. I'll probably wait a bit until it gains momentum, but when it does, I have a 512 ssd laying around that's looking for a good home.
lurkor is offline  
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Wii U Games , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox One Games , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off