LG 77” Curved UHD OLED at CES 2014 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #91 of 152 Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What year is this? Seems like we are back to the earth is flat, earth is round debate. Looks like the TV manufacturers are playing Columbus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 152 Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post

For OLED it seems that we keep taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The Panasonic and Sony deal failed which just leaves Samsung and LG (so far). This lack of competition means that OLED prices will remain too high for the average person. Sales will continue being low which will cause a reduction of manufacturing. We will know more when CES officially starts, but it certainly looks like OLEDs will be few and expensive in 2014. Add 4K to the mix and things get even more expensive.

Hopefully, LG, Samsung and the other will make a return to full array LEDs. It's no where near as good as OLED but it's still good and it's certainly better than the cloudy mess they have given us before.

Give me a 4K, backlit LED with local dimming at a decent price and I will be happy for a few years.

Vizio has the answer for you...4k backlit LED with local dimming for $999 for the 50"...it's called the P-series, you may have heard of it by now and it's getting good reviews

post #93 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post

Give me a 4K, backlit LED with local dimming at a decent price and I will be happy for a few years.

Vizio has the answer for you...4k backlit LED with local dimming for $999 for the 50"...it's called the P-series, you may have heard of it by now and it's getting good reviews

WHAT reviews are you referring to?  People walking around a show?  There has not been a hands-on review of the thing yet AFAICT.  Unless you have a link....?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #94 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

WHAT reviews are you referring to?  People walking around a show?  There has not been a hands-on review of the thing yet AFAICT.  Unless you have a link....?

Arugh! Here is a review: http://www.reviewed.com/content/vizio-uhd-p-series
post #95 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

Quote:

You're joking right?  Did you read it?  Those 5 sentences are NOT a review.

tubetwister likes this.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #96 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

Sorry, that's a pretty much a press release. Proper reviews are done by professionals and include a calibration and calibration reports.

Looky here!
post #97 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Quote:

Sorry, that's a pretty much a press release. Proper reviews are done by professionals and include a calibration and calibration reports.

It's not even a press release.  It's a cursory mention of a product line.  Press releases have more than 5 vague sentences.

post #98 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Since this TV is supposed to be flexible (an option that seems to be lost in this thread), I'm wondering if anyone has pictures/videos of the TV changing from a curved to flat configuration?
post #99 of 152 Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Sorry I didn't mean review...I shouldn't have used the word review because you're right there hasn't been an official review of it yet...I meant feedback...it's gotten positive feedback
post #100 of 152 Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
what's the price?

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #101 of 152 Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
^^^Great review!

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #102 of 152 Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
^$30k
post #103 of 152 Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 586
I suspect that once at home in the living room this tv would supass all the LCDs at CES in PQ once I started running through my current collection of blurays. The fact that its curved could maybe get me this one for a steal sometime in the near future wink.gif
post #104 of 152 Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 PM

Liked: 10

wow very nice hope i can have this, this is more advantage than other, even you are in the side you see it clear because of unique style.

post #105 of 152 Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 PM

Liked: 12
god help us if OLED "doesn't make it" and we're stuck with LCD / LED only, really really want OLED to make it. If that means they need to sell curved displays to the idiots just to get initial sales so be it (mind you I see a use for a curved screen but the ' angle I'm thinking of in degrees is around 1/10'th of what they are doing at the moment)
I got my 65" Panasonic plasma about 8 months ago and I'm hoping in 3.5 to 4 years time, that a 90" 4k OLED will be under 3.5k$ fingers crossed.
bthrb4u and citizenkage like this.
post #106 of 152 Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottylans View Post

god help us if OLED "doesn't make it" and we're stuck with LCD / LED only, really really want OLED to make it. If that means they need to sell curved displays to the idiots just to get initial sales so be it (mind you I see a use for a curved screen but the ' angle I'm thinking of in degrees is around 1/10'th of what they are doing at the moment)
I got my 65" Panasonic plasma about 8 months ago and I'm hoping in 3.5 to 4 years time, that a 90" 4k OLED will be under 3.5k$ fingers crossed.

At some point Chinese manufacturers will master OLED and it'll be everywhere. Until then, it's going to be a niche product. However, I am not so sure that flat OLEDs would not sell today. 

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #107 of 152 Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you saw the curve OLED sets at CES and have a critical eye! then you would not want them. First, let's not address the color fidelity issues they have (poor) which is why no "real world" video was being shown on them. However, think about a curved OLED screen.

OLED screens have a reflective surface of either plastic or glass. If you look at the uniformity of these when curved, you will notice that the light picked up every single imperfection in the surface (and there wer many,)

Second, is that since the surface is reflexive, all you gain is that if there is a light in the room, it is now GUARANTEED to reflect, generally in a line down the entire face of the display, somewhere on the display. Concave surfaces are used to catch and funnel light you realize. The set does theirs very well.

Now this is not an issue in theaters as the screens are made out of fabric - non-reflective.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #108 of 152 Old 01-18-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Second, is that since the surface is reflexive, all you gain is that if there is a light in the room, it is now GUARANTEED to reflect, generally in a line down the entire face of the display

A line?  No.  You're thinking convex, such as the extreme case of a reflective cylinder; those will collapse all reflections in the room down to thin vertical shapes down the face.

A concave mirror (such as with curved OLED displays) will expand a particular objects reflection, not shrink it.  The advantage they claim is that you get fewer items reflecting in the screen.  Though of course, they're now bigger.  But then they might also claim that they are dimmer because they are effectively spreading the light across the surface.

It's really a silly talking point overall frankly.

post #109 of 152 Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sorry, you are correct. It was just that there were a lot of reflections on the screens I saw.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #110 of 152 Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, you are correct. It was just that there were a lot of reflections on the screens I saw.

I understand.  They might be more noticeable because of their size.  Specular reflectance is a ROYAL pain in the ass to the viewer, and this is why I just can't believe that the Sharp Moth Eye (or similar technologies from Corning, etc.) are entirely ...... not there.  Good Lord manufacturers, what on earth?

post #111 of 152 Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

First, let's not address the color fidelity issues they have (poor) which is why no "real world" video was being shown on them.

What color fidelity issues are you referring to? I haven't read of any, and I'm curious.

Every review I've seen of the OLED panels has said that the image and colors from the OLED panels is just about perfect, and the display is the best they've ever seen. I've only seen the 1080p OLED planels (Samsung and LG), and the picture was amazing. Even with "real world" video being shown on them.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #112 of 152 Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 15
Any idea when pricing will come out on these?

This site: http://www.oled-info.com/lg-77ec9800 says $30k, but doesn't look too terribly reliable.
post #113 of 152 Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
post #114 of 152 Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

At some point Chinese manufacturers will master OLED and it'll be everywhere. Until then, it's going to be a niche product. However, I am not so sure that flat OLEDs would not sell today. 

Well the Koreans and Japanese haven't mastered unfortunately. Aren't they still susceptible to burn in and dying blue led's first? :/
post #115 of 152 Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
I thought the curved TV was dead? I'm still limping along with my RPTV hooked up to a projector. While I have found some good sources for lamps (Discount Merchant, PureLandSupply as well as ProjectorLampSource -- altho they seem to have switched to generics), I am wondering what it would be like to be free of replacing lamps. How do the new curved TVs compare and will you be able to use them with projectors for a great gaming experience. Any suggestions on how to wean myself off the RPTV experience?
JJ
post #116 of 152 Old 02-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Liked: 218
and LG droped the OLED TV price again, throwing a little bit harder to see if their curved panels stick to something smile.gif
post #117 of 152 Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottylans View Post

god help us if OLED "doesn't make it" and we're stuck with LCD / LED only, really really want OLED to make it. If that means they need to sell curved displays to the idiots just to get initial sales so be it (mind you I see a use for a curved screen but the ' angle I'm thinking of in degrees is around 1/10'th of what they are doing at the moment). I got my 65" Panasonic plasma about 8 months ago and I'm hoping in 3.5 to 4 years time, that a 90" 4k OLED will be under 3.5k$ fingers crossed.

So do I but I don't believe in Santa any more biggrin.gif
vaktmestern likes this.
post #118 of 152 Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Bummer, this thread died as fast as OLED was purported to. I hope thats not the case though...At least until they devise some new fangled contraption to milk us of all our retirement funds.

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
post #119 of 152 Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 AM

Here is a good read. Looks like some serious heat coming in the 4k OLED market late 2014 into 2015 thanks to LG!

Quote from flatpanelshd:
LG: WE CAN MAKE 110" OLED TVS LATER THIS YEAR
By Rasmus Larsen (@flatpanels)

LG.Display will be able to produce 110-inch OLED TVs later this year, when a new 8G OLED factory starts production. LG is also able to produce 8K OLED panels and has reached production yields of 70%. Cheaper OLED TVs are expected by mid-2015.

LG PUSHES FORWARD WITH OLED PLANS
LG’s Lim Joo-son of LG’s OLED Technical Strategy Team, commented on their recent advances in OLED technology and production during their earnings report in Korea. LG says that their current WRGB OLED technology can support very, very large panels and much higher resolution.

LG can produce 8K OLED panels today, but admits that the high pixel density comes at expense of lifetime, so they are seeking to develop better OLED materials for these panels.

During the conference call, LG also confirmed that the new 8th generation (8G) M2 OLED factory is still expected to start production in the second half of 2014 as planned. When this factory goes online, LG will be able to produce gigantic 110-inch OLED TV – four times larger than the current 55-inch OLED TVs. LG’s coming 4K OLED TVs will also be produced at this factory.

LOWER PRICES AND BETTER YIELDS
Another LG.Display spokesperson says that LG.Display has reached 70% production yield, meaning that 70% of the OLED panels produced can be sold as consumer products. Rumors in the industry suggested that LG has managed to improve yields to these levels some months ago, but many observers remained skeptical. As the LCD market is entered a slower growth phase, LG will also convert existing LCD production line to OLED production lines instead of building new factories.

Samsung is said to have far lower yields at around 40-50% and is also said to have halted production.

Lastly, LG told the market to expect more Chinese OLED TVs soon. LG.Display is supplying the OLED panels for the Chinese OLED TVs, which helps LG ramp up production volume.

LG tells us to be patient as it will still take some time before mid-range OLED TVs will be financially viable, but they expect significant price reductions by the middle of 2015.
- Source: ETnews & China.com via OLED-info.com

Article by Rasmus Larsen (@flatpanels)
April 28 2014

mo949 likes this.

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.

Last edited by timc1475; 06-20-2014 at 03:29 AM.
post #120 of 152 Old 06-22-2014, 02:04 PM

I just got off the horn with Ian from Gibby's in Canada 1(877) 761-6354 as they have the LG 77EC9800 currently on their website listed as a Curved 1080p OLED HDTV (77EC9800). He said indeed it is a 4k set and they will update their site. He also said it is only available for pre-order at this time. We talked about IR and burn in issues with a low lifespan compared to LED/LCD 4k.

He said the current issue with LG's OLED is the WRGB is the white pixel not lasting and burning out. He is hopeful that LG has made a work around for this issue. Anyway it is fascinating as the best in class technology is slowly gaining momentum. When they eventually do get these issues ironed out and the price competitive... there will be a shaking in the market like never before! Whooo Hooo!

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Ces 2014

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page