Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

With the sad demise of production of plasmas in Panasonics line-up, one has to wonder what Panasonic has up their sleeve for their 2014 line-up.

At the Panasonic press conference at CES today, Julie Bauer president of Panasonic consumer electronics, announced that they will deliver plasma-level picture quality with LED technology. That's a big statement considering Panasonic are considered to be a benchmark in today's industry.

The big emphasis was on the new Life+ screens. This allows for a more personalized user experience which seems all too familiar. It is geared to learn and recognize individuals or family viewing preferences and have it ready for you either my a touch of a button, voice and/or facial recognition. It also detects a human when passing by the TV and displays information such as Weather, Time and more.

Quote:
…personalized just for you, including content from different sources. This means that recommended films and shows from cable, terrestrial broadcast, and VOD are all presented within the same interface." Samsung and LG both offered similar services last year (Cnet)

Bauer announced the full line-up of new televisions changing up all their series. Although pricing wasn't announced, Panasonic mentions that many of these sets are available for pre-order. Here is a list of what was announced:

Quote:
• TC-AX800U series: 4K, edge-lit local dimming
Sizes: 65 and 58 inches
First availability: Now (58-inch)/spring (65-inch)

• TC-55AS680U: 1080p, 240Hz refresh rate
The company's best 1080p TV series comes in just one size so far, and its biggest picture quality extra is a faster refresh rate. No local dimming is mentioned.
Size: 55 inches
First availability: TBD

• TC-AS650U series: 1080p, 3D, Touch Pad remote
This series represents the least expensive 3D-capable line. Its range is sizes is larger, and the main extra feature is a touch-pad remote also found on step-down models.
Sizes: 60, 55, and 50 inches
First availability: Now

• TC-60AS660U series: 1080p, Home Theater System Bundle; Touch Pad Remote
It appears very similar to the A650U.
Size: 60 inches
First availability: TBD

• TC-AS530U series: 1080p, Cheapest Smart TV
The entry-level Smart TV doesn't have the My Stream action of the step-up models, but could prove a good value if the price is right.
Sizes: 60, 55, 50, 39 inches

• TC-A400U series: Entry-level 1080p
Sizes: 50, 39, 32 inches
(Cnet)

What are your thoughts on their "Plasma-level" LED statement? Would you consider Panasonic as your next LED TV?

Source

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Saw edge lit and lost interest
wxman likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 570
would be awesome if true, I mean the only thing plasma had going over LED was picture quality. I certainly didn't buy to save on my winter heating bills...

but there's some HUGE red flags that make me believe this is 100% marketing, and 0% reality.

first, has Panasonic even made a good LED tv in terms of LED TV's? seems like they've been behind the curve when it comes to lcd based TV's forever, so I find it unlikely they will leap to best lcd tv every produced, just like that.

second, and most importantly, EDGE-LIT... as soon as I read that, it's a buzz kill immediately. it's like hearing that new Ferrari with all these amazing features has a 4cyl motor... nothing can make up for that if you want performance, nothing. you end up spending more money on 'features' to try and cover up the problems then it would cost to just use an appropriate backlight to begin with. to the Ferrari analogy, it's like slapping 30k worth of super-chargers, 80k worth of carbon fibre to reduce weight, 10k tuning software, just to end up with the base performance of a normal v8.

the fact that only the 4k version even mentions local dimming(I assume none of the others offer this then?) only makes for more concern. edge-lit WITH local dimming is troublesome enough, edge-lit without dimming is basically defective imo(have not seen one I could watch in a dark room). makes me wonder what exactly they believe 'plasma quality' means. because it certainly doesn't sound like screen uniformity is of any concern to them.

so, yes, i'll pay attention to it and see what the pro's and early buyers have to say(specifically about clouding and dark-room performance), but no, I'm not making room for one to come home anytime soon.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have to agree. Edge-lit is a bit of a downer. I actually got to test Panasonic's ET60 series and was impressed. But I still didn't get a chance to test it on a black screen and see how bad the edge-lighting is.

Panasonic makes some nice displays, again, we can only hope they have something up their sleeve with the edge-lighting. I hope that's what Julie Bauer meant when she said "Plasma-level" LEDs.

AVSForum
post #5 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Liked: 16
Panasonic E6 offered good picture quality in the more affordable price-class with it's PVA panel and 6000:1 native contrast. It's edge-lit, but still very well regarded amongst TV reviewers.
post #6 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Nothing but marketing-speak.
post #7 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks, but no thanks Panasonic. Your killing of your plasmas and offering these plebeian LCD's as replacements is akin to Chevy killing the Corvette and claiming a Camaro is good enough to replace it! mad.gif
steve1971 and SMHarman like this.
post #8 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post

Thanks, but no thanks Panasonic. Your killing of your plasmas and offering these plebeian LCD's as replacements is akin to Chevy killing the Corvette and claiming a Camaro is good enough to replace it! mad.gif

Owning 2 Panasonic plasmas and a Corvette I have to agree. smile.gif
magbarn likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #9 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Plasma-level LED is one big oxymoron. On top of that it's edge lit. Get the F outta here with that BS.
steve1971 likes this.

home theater addict
post #10 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
So they have a new 4k model and the smaller one is out? Where? I was one of the first owners of their first 4k set, started the owners thread and then discovered the 4 vertical banding issue which has pretty much been seen on almost every set someone has bought and promptly returned. I went through 2 of them and then started hearing other members here having the same issue and I gave up. I thought the picture however and the included Display Port was amazing and one of the best pictures I have seen. If they have a new set and it is free from the banding issues, I may give Panasonic another shot.

-Hawkmoon
post #11 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Liked: 10
What are your thoughts on their "Plasma-level" LED statement?

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing.

Would you consider Panasonic as your next LED TV?

As I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro, why would I buy anything that looks worse? OLED may be a consideration when they offer flat screen versions. Would I consider a Panasonic OLED, sure. What's the model number?
post #12 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Liked: 14
I thought we were supposed to watch TV, not TV's watch us?

Art
post #13 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM

It sounds like their new tvs might rival those Sharp Elite TVs from a few years ago. If they can make sets with that same kind of quality or better I can see why they abandoned that OLED partnership with Sony and shut down plasma production.
post #14 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBee View Post

It took 30 years for 1984 to become reality.... I'd love to say I'm joking, but reality is getting stranger than fiction.
post #15 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

I think it is ridiculous that people form a judgement about how the TVs look without bothering to look at one of them.  I have no idea if they are great TVs or not, because I have not looked at any of them, but it seems that not having any real idea about something does not stop others from having opinions anyway.

If you have not looked at one, you don't know, either, so stop pretending that you know things that you do not know.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #16 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
I think it's ridiculous that Panasonic is trying to keep their titanic display division afloat by making comparative statements about a technology they just buried.

The Panasonic insider (at high def junkies) largely responsible for bringing us the ZT60 has already weighed in with the truth on the matter...by his estimation, the colors are there, but the black uniformity is still "iffy." That's all I need to see to know that these won't be a patch on their final year 2013 models in anything but resolution and color accuracy.
post #17 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

I think it is ridiculous that people form a judgement about how the TVs look without bothering to look at one of them.  I have no idea if they are great TVs or not, because I have not looked at any of them, but it seems that not having any real idea about something does not stop others from having opinions anyway.

If you have not looked at one, you don't know, either, so stop pretending that you know things that you do not know.

I remember when I first heard about 4k tvs and people bashed it online and said it was impossible see a difference, ect ect ect. Then I saw 4k tv with my own eyes and was blown away. It was a huge jump in picture quality and was easily noticeable. I'm willing to give Panasonic the benefit of the doubt until I see their new sets for myself.
post #18 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEPenguin View Post

I remember when I first heard about 4k tvs and people bashed it online and said it was impossible see a difference, ect ect ect. Then I saw 4k tv with my own eyes and was blown away. It was a huge jump in picture quality and was easily noticeable. I'm willing to give Panasonic the benefit of the doubt until I see their new sets for myself.

I agree with you. Even though I have a very sour taste in my mouth from going through 2 of their previous 4k sets, it seems Panasonic is the only company willing to put Display Port on their sets and for PC gamers at the moment that is important since no current or announced GPU offers HDMI 2.0 support. The new Flagship Sony also looks to be pretty good with better blacks and color reproduction, so not sure where I will go. But I did love the picture of the last Panasonic 4k and I did own briefly the ZT60 plasma as well. For my needs I do want a 4k set and if Panasonic has corrected the vertical banding issues and it gives a better picture than the sony, then I might give them a try again.

-Hawkmoon
post #19 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31

I attended several press conferences today and I thought Panasonic's presenter was joking when she repeated the 2014 LED TV would surpass their famous plasma picture quality.  Someone should have proof read her speech and deleted this very silly and embarrassing remark.

post #20 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Panasonic should be ashamed. They have disgraced themselves. They went from buying the Kuro patents to the LED sewer!
vinnie97 likes this.
post #21 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post

more like a cobalt...

post #22 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah... but... if the last 1000 edgelit LED's ALL had problems, and there has NEVER been one made with perfectly uniform backlighting, can you at least understand our skepticism? this is definitely one thing that NEEDS to be proven(or at least explained in detail how it's different for the all the other edge-lit LED's on the market), and until it is, it's marketing.

for me, it's akin to claiming the new viper gets 50mpg on regular pump gas, while still producing 500hp on a NA internal combustion engine. it's SO far beyond what we've seen previously, it's too hard to believe.

if Panasonic made the same claim with FALD, then sure, I'd be thinking it'll be like the old sharp elites, and probably a little excited about it. or if they made some statement about how it's like nothing else we've ever seen before, maybe I'd still have some hope. I just don't see how they can reinvent the wheel and expect it to be any rounder though. edgelighting is problematic at the best of times
pokekevin likes this.

post #23 of 77 Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBee View Post

Some LG TV's have been doing it for a while now, even when the setting is turned off your 'info' is still being sent out.

Jason
post #24 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Panasonic should be ashamed. They have disgraced themselves. They went from buying the Kuro patents to the LED sewer!

I wouldn't go so far to say that. I mean, we haven't seen anything yet. Pioneer Insider mentioned, Julie Bauer repeated her "Plasma-level" statement twice. It was a bold statement, they put a lot of stakes on the table and many people are watching. Like most have said here, I don't think they have re-invented the wheel, I'm curious to see if they can redeem themselves.

AVSForum
post #25 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 AM

Liked: 12
I'm not interested simply because of the 65" size. I want a min of 70inches.....going from 60" to 65" inches is just not a big enough jump.
post #26 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Panasonic Announces "Plasma-level" LED TVs? LOL. Oh my how the mighty have fallen!
post #27 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

You can't get around the peeves of LCD technology. The sharp elite was a good display but it still had plenty of the usual LCD shortcomings. I expect no different from Panasonic's LCD's. Plasmas overall will still be better.
Weboh likes this.

home theater addict
post #28 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 AM

Liked: 13
Last year Panasonic was eager to show off the 2013 improvements side by side against their 2012 flagship. If they aren't bold enough to do that again, that alone speaks volumes to the let down 2014 will be when compared to the 2013 Plasma sets.
igreg, Djoel and VinnyS like this.
post #29 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Liked: 26
The "personalized user experience" that Panasonic mentions, and that other manufacturers have implemented, is useless to me. I have no interest in that kind of feature. To me, its clutter that gets in the way of using a TV in the way that I want to use it.
post #30 of 77 Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalhectar View Post

Last year Panasonic was eager to show off the 2013 improvements side by side against their 2012 flagship. If they aren't bold enough to do that again, that alone speaks volumes to the let down 2014 will be when compared to the 2013 Plasma sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalhectar View Post

Good point

AVSForum
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page