WiSA Bang & Olufsen Demo at CES 2014 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6496 Post(s)
Liked: 11250
Bang and Olufsen is famous for its high-style, high-performance audio systems. The comapny has a long tradition of producing minimalist HiFi systems that look like they came straight out of a science fiction movie. The only thing that grounds such systems in the present is the presence of wires.

A WISA-enabled Beolab 19 Subwoofer managed to shake things up

WISA is an industry group dedicated to developing and implementing standards for wireless transmission of audio in an unused slice of the radio spectrum. The goal is to create a system that guarantees wireless performance and interoperability between products that bear the WISA logo.

A pair of Beolab 17s served as rear channels

At CES 2014, I had an opportunity to demo a WISA-based system from B&O. It is a demo that I will never forget, because it was the first time I have ever heard true high-fidelity audio coming from a wireless system. The feat was even more impressive if you consider what a difficult environment the show presented for wireless devices. Cell phones were non-functional, WiFi pairing with nearby devices was spotty at best—but the WISA demo was flawless. It’s pretty much a guarantee that if your wireless system works at CES, it’ll work just about anywhere.

WISA showed off the guts of a wireless audio system

The system consisted of a pair of Beolab 18 speakers for the front L/R mains, a pair of Beolab 17s in the rear, a Beolab 18 sub, and a Beoview 11 TV, which features a WISA transmitter and an integrated center-channel.

All I can say is that the demo was top-notch. WISA can deliver eight channels of 24/96 audio without a hiccup. Every aspect of sound quality, from the intensity and definition of the bass to the tangible 3D quality of the sound, there was nothing missing—except for the speaker cables.

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-02-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 338
okay love the look of that sub ^_^

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

okay love the look of that sub ^_^

.. and it is a dual-opposed design, it filled the room with copious quantities of tight bass despite being so small—and wireless.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Those are probably really expensive, though, right?

Hopefully by next year there should be some WISA competition, maybe I'll wait, or maybe I'll just pick up from JTRs or Catalysts in the meanwhile.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Those are probably really expensive, though, right?

Hopefully by next year there should be some WISA competition, maybe I'll wait, or maybe I'll just pick up from JTRs or Catalysts in the meanwhile.

Yeah this stuff costs a lot more than normal gear with similar capability. B&O is always about balancing form and function. An Apple analogy is always in order, if anything B&O product is the inspiration for the Apple aesthetic—and pricing—and stores. I digress... for the size, and for how compact the system is—it's pretty amazing. 

For anyone who even knows what a Noesis or Catalyst is, a B&O system is the last thing you'd ever want. The laws of physics demand as much.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Too bad they are so expensive I guess no much interest here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Ces 2014

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page