Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 133 Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Movie Theater? What's That? Have been to the theater since 2007 can't even imagine how annoying it would be today with all the people with their phones texting and talking. I'll take my calibrated screen and A/V set up any day. Plus when I used to go the image was either out of focus, of there were stains n the screen or worse yet the sound system sucked.

I stopped going to the theater several years ago - got tired of spending money to watch a film with people who did not know how to behave. But over winter break last month, my kids wanted to see "Catching Fire", so I decided to give the theater a try again. With 4 of us, we didn't have as much opportunity to find a good spot in the somewhat crowded theater. Two girls behind me were already gabbing through the previews. Mostly they were quiet until the final 1/4 of the film, when maybe their ADHD meds were wearing off. I went into the thing expecting bad behavior, so it actually didn't bother me, but my wife told them to please be quiet so we could watch the end of the film, and they actually were quiet after that. Also there was a family seated to the right side of the theater, and the father spent most of the film explaining every single thing that was happening to his kid. Not sure what was up with that.

Now that I have a projector in my basement, I don't see the point travelling to a theater to be aggravated. I enjoy watching movies on the big screen at home too much to let some behavior challenged person degrade the experience. I don't recall it being as much a problem when I was a kid, but maybe my recollection is faulty. I wonder if people have always had such low attention spans and behavior challenges in crowds, or if the situation has gotten worse? One thing for sure, if the theater is unable to crack down on it, then they won't get my money.

Also as mentioned, I wasn’t all that impressed either with the image quality, and the screen sizes keep shrinking. I recall as a kid the ornate cinemas and massive screens – that made it a lot of fun as well. These days not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

Even better if we get puppets and real models over CGI. I look back and this is what really made the first star wars so great and the next 3 terrible.

there's definitely a transition period between good special effects in the late 80's and bad CGI in the late 90's.

i think it's come a LONG way though, and the cgi effects aren't nearly as obvious as they used to be. as long as they are done appropriately(ie, cgi is at least as good at showing ships travelling through space as the special effects of the first star wars trilogy) and avoided where they don't need to be(the yoda light saber scene in the prequels, that was pretty bad...). sometimes it's ok to limit what you show, and leave a bit to the imagination. it's better than using bad effects that take you out of the moment(i'd rather see a knife slash, then blood squirt onto a wall then somebody actually stabbing an obviously fake plastic dummy)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #123 of 133 Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AT 74, I still love movies .....Really hard to find a good film today. The movie can be in any medium, but if the story isn't there - sorry, you've lost me.
I do watch some of the newer movies, Gravity was great and also Oblivion.
Thanks for letting me add my two cents.
Wayne Bruce[/quote]

Wayne I agree it takes some effort to find the good ones but they are there. (It got a lot harder when Ebert died.). Let me add a few more recent titles: Philomena and Captain Phillips.
post #124 of 133 Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

there's definitely a transition period between good special effects in the late 80's and bad CGI in the late 90's.

i think it's come a LONG way though, and the cgi effects aren't nearly as obvious as they used to be. as long as they are done appropriately(ie, cgi is at least as good at showing ships travelling through space as the special effects of the first star wars trilogy) and avoided where they don't need to be(the yoda light saber scene in the prequels, that was pretty bad...). sometimes it's ok to limit what you show, and leave a bit to the imagination. it's better than using bad effects that take you out of the moment(i'd rather see a knife slash, then blood squirt onto a wall then somebody actually stabbing an obviously fake plastic dummy)

the CGI in the hobbit bugs me. I miss the real Orc and the White Orc seems like a cartoon to me frown.gif

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #125 of 133 Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

I stopped going to the theater several years ago ... But over winter break last month, my kids wanted to see "Catching Fire", so I decided to give the theater a try again....Two girls behind me were already gabbing through the previews. ...Also there was a family seated to the right side of the theater, and the father spent most of the film explaining every single thing that was happening to his kid. ... One thing for sure, if the theater is unable to crack down on it, then they won't get my money.

Also as mentioned, I wasn’t all that impressed either with the image quality, and the screen sizes keep shrinking. I recall as a kid the ornate cinemas and massive screens – that made it a lot of fun as well. These days not so much.
Well, to be frank- the movie industry now caters to kids and 20 somethings. For many reasons including- they're not as critical as older viewers and will go spend to see absolute rubbish without even batting an eyelash because it gives them something to do away from home. The kids don't complain about the temperature in the theater, they don't complain about focus issues, they don't care about the price and quality of concessions, they don't complain about commercials before the feature, and it seems they readily accept others around them talking and texting during the feature that upsets older viewers to no end. More to the point of this thread and the drop off of quality some suggest all digital will bring- the young viewers aren't going to complain- because after a few trips to the theater, they'll just accept it and move on...

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #126 of 133 Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Well, to be frank- the movie industry now caters to kids and 20 somethings. For many reasons including- they're not as critical as older viewers and will go spend to see absolute rubbish without even batting an eyelash because it gives them something to do away from home. The kids don't complain about the temperature in the theater, they don't complain about focus issues, they don't care about the price and quality of concessions, they don't complain about commercials before the feature, and it seems they readily accept others around them talking and texting during the feature that upsets older viewers to no end. More to the point of this thread and the drop off of quality some suggest all digital will bring- the young viewers aren't going to complain- because after a few trips to the theater, they'll just accept it and move on...

Um. As a 20-something who cares very much about picture quality and people talking and texting at the theater, I think your vast generalization is a disservice to people like me. I think, what you mean to say, is that the American movie-going public is very much not inclined to care about those things, while certain members of the population (those of us on this forum) are increasingly drawn to home theater experiences as better because they don't include those interruptions and sub-par experiences. I get your complaints, but I think you blame "young people" as if you want them to get off your lawn. I'm not on your lawn, dude. Chill.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #127 of 133 Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post

Um. As a 20-something who cares very much about picture quality and people talking and texting at the theater, I think your vast generalization is a disservice to people like me. I think, what you mean to say, is that the American movie-going public is very much not inclined to care about those things, while certain members of the population (those of us on this forum) are increasingly drawn to home theater experiences as better because they don't include those interruptions and sub-par experiences. I get your complaints, but I think you blame "young people" as if you want them to get off your lawn. I'm not on your lawn, dude. Chill.
As I look at your sig... "Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas" I dare say... you're the exception and I wish everyone in the audience cared as much as you do...

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #128 of 133 Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

As I look at your sig... "Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas" I dare say... you're the exception and I wish everyone in the audience cared as much as you do...

Yeah. Being a projectionist ruined me as a theater-goer. Mostly because I now notice EVERY LITTLE THING that's wrong with the presentation. At home, at least I can fix those things that bug me.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #129 of 133 Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

the CGI in the hobbit bugs me. I miss the real Orc and the White Orc seems like a cartoon to me frown.gif

do you think that's because of the HFR being 'more revealing' of cinematic errors? i've heard a few ppl comment that the special effects look fake(both digital and make-up) on the HFR movies.

i still say it's up to the movie makers to make the right choice. cgi is a useful tool if used correctly by professionals.

post #130 of 133 Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i doubt it's about caring. i'm more inclined to stereotype 'old ppl' as the ones not caring about improvements in technology.

there's just a lot more disrespectful teenagers/early 20's. i'm JUST turning 30, and i already see a significant generation gap with some of my friends that only a few years younger. i still think it's kind of rude to be on your phone constantly while in social environments, they don't. i can totally see 10yrs from now ppl thinking it's perfectly ok to text and check imdb and whatever on their phones in the middle of the movie.

i mean, i bet i could find ppl that think its rude i don't wear a tie to dinner, or if i keep my hat on in the theatre. sometimes it's just a difference in 'culture'.

post #131 of 133 Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 679
In ten years we should be able to view the phone content on a contact lens. So they won't be disturbing anyone since the contact lens could replace the screen on the phone.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #132 of 133 Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Digital projection won't be mainstream in all theaters until the next year or two, when demand for film will decrease to the the cheapness of digital cameras and projectors.
post #133 of 133 Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

In ten years we should be able to view the phone content on a contact lens. So they won't be disturbing anyone since the contact lens could replace the screen on the phone.

haha, could be, but i wouldn't wager on it personally. (yes i know it's possible, i'm betting it won't be something enough ppl actually want)

make you wonder though, what kind of 'virtual displays' could be possible in the future. maybe we won't even have screens at movie theatres, they'll have use sit in a big room all wearing VR glasses... haha. probably not tongue.gif

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page