Amtran Announces New JVC UHDTVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 953

A couple of years ago, JVC granted a license to a Chinese company called Amtran Video Corp. to design, manufacture, and sell flat-panel TVs under the JVC brand in the US. Yesterday, Amtran announced a new line of JVC UHDTVs: the 55" DM55UXA ($1900), 65" DM65UXA ($2500), and 85" DM85UXA ($10,000). I was heartened to learn that the new TVs offer 10-bit color rather than the more common 8-bit, which means they can display finer gradations of color and have the potential for greater dynamic range.

In addition, they use "direct" LED backlighting, which means the LEDs are behind the LCD panel rather than on the edges. However, there aren't enough LEDs to warrant calling it "full-array," and there is no local dimming. The press release claims a dynamic contrast ratio of 50 million:1, but most AVS members know that's probably unrealistic (to put it mildly).

Other features include XinemaSound 3D audio, a proprietary suite of acoustic and digital-signal processing technologies to improve the onboard sound—a very low bar among TVs—and a full-featured smart TV platform. The remote includes a full QWERTY keyboard, which I appreciate when trying to search for things online.

A few months ago, I would have said that $10,000 for an 85" UHDTV, even one without FALD (full-array local dimming), is a great deal. But the Vizio P series blows it out of the water with FALD and Active Pixel Tuning. Granted, the P series only goes up to 70 inches, but that's going to be $2600, only $100 more than the 65" JVC. On the other hand, Vizio does not officially comment on the bit-depth of the P series; only the Reference series is specified to have 10-bit color.

The new JVC-branded UHDTVs are slated to be available late in the third quarter of 2014.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitte

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sounds good but lets see what picture quality you get...................
post #3 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I've owned many JVC products over the years and they were pretty much bottom of the barrel. Not sure why anyone would want to license their name.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I've owned many JVC products over the years and they were pretty much bottom of the barrel. Not sure why anyone would want to license their name.

Except their projectors, which have been top of the barrel for years now.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Except their projectors, which have been top of the barrel for years now.

^ + 2 on their PJs

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #6 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Had a car head unit from them in the last 5 years that was pretty impressive in the specs dept. One of their first Blu-ray players was a solid performer as well (haven't followed since).
post #7 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 795
aside from the d-ila projectors, jvc has been more known for features per dollar than performance...

but, competition can only be good. the more ppl trying to make a good LED tv, the more likely somebody finally will(it's been done before, so enough competition is the 'who cares about real performance' segment might be enough to make the Sharp's and Sony's, and apparently Vizio's of the world decide to stand out and go for pure picture quality)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amtran...never heard of them. But this means we're looking at a three-way fight for the "UHD low end," so to speak: Amtran vs. Vizio vs. Seiki. And that's potentially good. Now if we can just get that darn content issue worked out...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #9 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Vizio isn't as low as Seiki/Amtran. They are a pretty good manufacturer with pretty good quality.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Amtran...never heard of them. But this means we're looking at a three-way fight for the "UHD low end," so to speak: Amtran vs. Vizio vs. Seiki. And that's potentially good. Now if we can just get that darn content issue worked out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post

Vizio isn't as low as Seiki/Amtran. They are a pretty good manufacturer with pretty good quality.

I agree with keb33509, Vizio isn't in the same low-end category with Amtran and Seiki. I suspect the other big Chinese companies, such as Hisense, TCL, Changhong, Konka, and Haier, will also try to hit the lowest possible price points.

I do agree with Bill when he says, "Now, if we can just get that darn content issue worked out..." Amen, brother!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #11 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
remember when JVC used to create the VHS back in the day? Then Sony came out with Betamax. We knew how that went 30 years ago.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

remember when JVC used to create the VHS back in the day? Then Sony came out with Betamax. We knew how that went 30 years ago.

the way i see it, it's always way cheaper to copy somebody else than it is to develop a new tech. so unfortunately, the companies that 'invent' things often get replaced by the competition since they can undercut on pricing pretty heavily.

unfortunately, very few ppl care about quality anymore...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I agree. Sony´s Trinitron, JVC´s VHS, Philips´ Compact Disc and so many other examples. Despite a brand´s history and achievements, it´s hard to predict who will be in the game within the next 5 years. Times have changed a lot and even historical Japanese manufacturers are now pulling off.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Philips has done well more recently in the realm of LED bulbs at least. wink.gif
post #15 of 16 Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Actually Sony's Betamax came out first, then JVC developed VHS a year or two later (in the mid-70's). Betamax had better PQ and audio, but lost market share to the less expensive and inferior VHS.

JVC was once a higher-end brand, their high end VHS VCRs were among the best (i had a few of em) and their TVs were very good in the 90's and into the mid-2000's then they seemed to kinda give up on making good TVs. Their last widescreen tube TVs looked fantastic, dare i say better than the Sony and Loewe widescreen tube TVs right before they all went away.

It's ironic that a Chinese company is now using the name JVC which stood for Japan Victor Company.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #16 of 16 Old 02-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post

I thought Amtran was OEM for Vizio (most of Vizio anyway). confused.gif Who makes Seiki? I figure since Amtran makes JVC and Vizio (Seiki can't be much worse), all those brands were pretty much same in terms of quality.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page