Eagle Vision: Panasonic to Build Highest-Definition Scoreboard in the NFL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 1613

Panasonic just announced a partnership with the Philadelphia Eagles to build and install what it touts as "the highest-definition boards in the National Football League," a pair of scoreboards that will measure 27 x 192 feet and 27 x 160 feet, respectively. The installation is part of a two-year refresh of Lincoln Financial Center field—aka The Linc—which also saw the installation of solar panels and windmills in the eleven year old facility.

The Linc is getting high-definition scoreboards to go along with its windmills and solar arrays

I contacted Panasonic's rep to find out exactly what the company means by "highest definition." Panasonic responded that the use of panels with a 10mm dot pitch was the reason for the claim. I ran a quick calculation and discovered that the larger of the two boards will boast a resolution of 823 pixels x 5790 pixels, for an approximate total pixel count of 4.75 million. While that is a lot of pixels, it is not as many as you'll find on a UHDTV, so I was curious how the claim of "highest-definition in the NFL" would hold up to some fact-checking.

I checked out a list of largest video screens on Wikipedia. Reliant Stadium, where the Houston Texans play, has a board that measures 277 x 54 feet with a total pixel count of 5.28 million. The new Levis Stadium, where the San Francisco 49ers will play starting this year, also features a 5.2 million pixel board. By that metric, the new screen at the Linc is actually #3 in the NFL in terms of resolution. However, Panasonic argues that the new boards at the Linc deserve the highest-definition title because they utilize 10mm dot pitch panels, a first for a display that large.

Solar and wind energy will help power the new high-definition scoreboard

It might be splitting hairs to argue about which scoreboard has the highest definition. The Eagles will have the advantage in terms of pixel density, the Texans and 49ers will have a slight edge in terms of total pixel count. I think the real news is that Panasonic scored a major contract ($25 million) and has a huge task ahead of it. Besides the two scoreboards, the company will install over 1200 displays throughout the facility, as well as a number of other boards that feature a 20mm dot pitch. 

This rendering shows the scale of the new scoreboard

Stadiums need to keep up with the home viewing experience and one of the ways to do that is to provide a video spectacle such as a high-definition mega-scoreboard. What do you think—does a giant display make going to a football game more appealing or do you prefer the high-definition screen in your own living room?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I guess if you are sitting in an upper deck that's in the next zip code (Cowboys Stadium) it helps to have that screen right in front of ya.

But i'm not dropping $100+ to watch a screen....

post #3 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I watch the Red Zone channel at home. 7 hours of non stop football every Sunday. Why would I give it up to spend 4 hours in traffic watching a crappy Redskins team, owned by a total jerk, in possibly bad weather, surrounded by drunkards, for several hundred $'s?
post #4 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 92
They have a family movie night in the Spring at our stadium here at Iowa State. Pretty awesome. Last year was Wreck-It Ralph. I hope they choose a better movie next time.

imagic and MGTR420 like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Guess that's the new 2014 plasma line lol....come on Panasonic you have the money for that crap LCD...but can't make one more line of plasmas? Boooo
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Guess that's the new 2014 plasma line lol....come on Panasonic you have the money for that crap LCD...but can't make one more line of plasmas? Boooo

But Panasonic says their new LCDs are as good as plasma.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:

You don't think Panasonic is donating this to the Philadelphia Eagles, do you?

post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Yea and my 2003 Acura is as good as a 7 series BMW...well at least that's what they told me. Catch my drift?

Anyway no I do not think its a donation i read the article but they need to focus on OLED and public demand not some big screen for the crazy fan of Philly to destroy by throwing beer and hot dogs at it...for god sakes they threw snowballs at Santa clause!! Madness
post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfX_oDzOxsc

smile.gif

post #10 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Yea and my 2003 Acura is as good as a 7 series BMW...well at least that's what they told me. Catch my drift?

Not really, as I would never buy either of those cars. But I'd probably take a 2003 Acura over a 2003 7-Series as repairs are probably much less.

And those were Panasonic's words, not mine. I never said I agreed with it.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Not really, as I would never buy either of those cars. But I'd probably take a 2003 Acura over a 2003 7-Series as repairs are probably much less.

And those were Panasonic's words, not mine. I never said I agreed with it.
Incorrect once again...03-07 Acura's had major transmission issues...just dropped 5k on mine. So the BMW would be best.

There is no way an LED is going to match the blacks of a ZT60 and that also means matches the black of a KURO. Not happening. Sorry pal. Color maybe...everything else will be inferior
post #12 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
It's about time this field got upgraded big time.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Incorrect once again...03-07 Acura's had major transmission issues...just dropped 5k on mine. So the BMW would be best.

There is no way an LED is going to match the blacks of a ZT60 and that also means matches the black of a KURO. Not happening. Sorry pal. Color maybe...everything else will be inferior

Yeah, I'm sure a 10+ year old BMW has no mechanical issues rolleyes.gif

WOW, it's a 2003 model...transmissions, like any other mechanical part, wear out eventually. I'd say 10 years is normal for a rebuild, depending on driving habits, miles driven, and preventative maintenance. I don't keep up with 11+ year old sedans, nor does it relate to buying a TV. I'm sure there are other forums for you to compare cars and overall cost of ownership if you need it.

Again, I never said I agreed with Panasonic. Go tell Panasonic that you disagree with them. I also have not seen Panasonics 2014 line of LCDs, so I can't speculate on them. Have you seen them?
jproy13 likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 302
How 'bout them Dodgers?
post #15 of 15 Old 02-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Panasonic can't say otherwise, since it would be commercial suicide.

We need to read between the lines. It should read:

" We want to make tvs that sell as much as our competitors ( sony ,samsung ) ... While our plasmas DESTROY all their tv's ( quality speaking) , the uneducated public, which is the vast majority, don't want to buy them. So, from a logical standpoint, we need to invest on our LCD tvs the cash we will save by stopping plasma production. Our LCD tvs are already good, but really expensive versus same quality models from competition. So by investing and concentrating on the LCD line, we will develop even better quality tvs, and augment production of those panels to be more cost effective, and rival our arch enemies. "

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page