Vizio Bows Out of CES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2186

Vizio showed off an impressive and promising lineup of new TVs in Las Vegas during CES 2014. While the company’s exhibit was not a part of the official CES show, it was one of the highlights of my visit to Vegas; instead of a booth, Vizio had a very classy display in one of the ballrooms at the Wynn hotel. However, the company says it will not return to Sin City for next year's show—Vizio says CES week does not align well with its product release cycle.

Quote:
"Positive recognition from the press and multiple awards helped make this year's CES showcase the best yet for Vizio," said Matt McRae, Chief Technology Officer. "With that, since the timing of CES generally doesn't align with our product announcements, we'll be looking to other innovative ways to deliver news and display products heading into 2014. Consumers, retailers and press can continue to expect multiple new product and technology announcements throughout the year, just at more opportune times for Vizio." source: Vizio

Vizio's 120-inch Reference Series UHDTV was the best-looking flat panel I saw at CES

When I visited Vizio at CES, I saw the most exciting TVs at the show—the new Reference series. The 120-inch model was the largest flat-panel UHDTV at CES, sporting just about the best image quality I've seen, regardless of display type. However, the company says that the new TVs are not due until the second half of 2014. Presumably that's what the company means when it says it wants to announce new products at more opportune times. What do you think, is Vizio wise to disassociate itself from CES and march to the beat of its own drummer?

Vizio showed off its 2014 lineup during CES 2014, including the M-series in this photo

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I believe it is a good move. Having an announcement/showcase closer to when the product actually releases will translate in to more dollars, I believe. I am in the market for a new television and would have bought one just on the strength of the demo reports. I am holding out for one unless something else catches my eye.
post #3 of 66 Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
is Vizio wise to disassociate itself from CES and march to the beat of its own drummer?

Apple does it...
Ballis likes this.
post #4 of 66 Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Separate from all the others thus putting yourself above all the others. It appears Vizio now wants to be the leader, no longer a follower.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #5 of 66 Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Time will tell if its a good move...
post #6 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I was just talking about this with my misses, saying that I think Vizio needs to step out on it own. This will help them market themselves as a now serious contender in the TV industry.

The last few years they have grown so much, this will definitely help there image.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #7 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I was just talking about this with my misses, saying that I think Vizio needs to step out on it own. This will help them market themselves as a now serious contender in the TV industry.

The last few years they have grown so much, this will definitely help there image.

Cool Misses. I doubt mine even realizes she has been watching a Sony TV for 7 years.

Frank
post #8 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Being that CES is really a show for dealers and Vizio doesn't maintain a large dealer network, they should save a lot of money by not going. (Which I suspect, this is really about...)

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I never go to CES, so I don't care, but they seem to be giving up a lot of free press by not attending.
post #10 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Sony marches to the beat of it own drum all the time but they are still apart of CES. At CES you get brand recognition. This move on the part of Vizio is going to either hurt them or it wont. I guess time will tell. How they plan on announcing new tv's ect is going to be tough. How do they plan on doing it? Via email, add's in magazines and News paper? Or big displays at Walmart? Tv commercials? Like I said time will tell if this move hurts them or not.
post #11 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Some of Vizio's product lines often aren't released until Q3 or even Q4, and by then the excitement for some of those product lines has fizzled, so in that sense I think it is a good move. They can still create buzz in the media and throughout the industry with press releases or appearances at other events nearer to the product launch dates. This year, as with other years, you'll see enthusiasm for the products building, but consumers become frustrated because it takes so long for Vizio to deliver, and in some cases they have not delivered, as I understand it, with products that were announced never making it to production.

All of that said, I still would like to see some presence by Vizio at CES. As olyteddy said, they're basically doing what Apple has done. There are probably some money-saving or other things going on that are driving this as well.
thebesthereis likes this.
post #12 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Sony marches to the beat of it own drum all the time but they are still apart of CES. At CES you get brand recognition. This move on the part of Vizio is going to either hurt them or it wont. I guess time will tell. How they plan on announcing new tv's ect is going to be tough. How do they plan on doing it? Via email, add's in magazines and News paper? Or big displays at Walmart? Tv commercials? Like I said time will tell if this move hurts them or not.

There are other electronics shows throughout the year, but CES is probably one of the biggest, at least in the US. With the Internet, it isn't difficult for companies to get word out about their products today. This happens with other electronics all the time, so I don't believe it will hurt them that much, honestly. If they can deliver good products that get high recommendations from reviewers, and the price is right, and the availability is there, they'll be no worse off for not attending.

Was this the first year Vizio wasn't actually a part of CES? I know they were in Vegas this year, but they weren't in the CES halls they were in a nearby hotel, as the article states. It was invitation-only to see the Vizio's this year. I would suspect that booth space at CES is expensive, plus the cost of getting staff and products out there ,and all of the preparation leading up to it, can be expensive and challenging.
post #13 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Being that CES is really a show for dealers and Vizio doesn't maintain a large dealer network, they should save a lot of money by not going. (Which I suspect, this is really about...)
^^^ +2
Their reputation has become such that; they can now choose more cost-effective methods of marketing.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #14 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Smart move Vizio. I'd like to see others follow suit but vizio is more common in stores everywhere than the big guys. They are a very young company with some experience.
imagic likes this.
post #15 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Apple does it...

But Vizio a'int Apple...
post #16 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

But Vizio a'int Apple...

Namely, Apple doesn't make TVs. That said, Apple and Vizio share the same reasoning for skipping CES—the show does not align well with product cycles. The busiest time for TV shopping is the holiday season and the lead-up to the Super Bowl, but the current CES-centric product cycle means that there are few new TVs released and available for sale during that time. That's why Apple releases new iPhones each fall, to have the freshest product and the hype that goes with it during the prime retail season. It's a strategy worth emulating. 

post #17 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Apple ,as you know,is a muti-product manufacturer,and,thus,has the advantage of staggering product introduction throughout the year.....and while Apple prefers to call it's own shots because of huge sales and brand recognition,Vizio does not have those weapons at it's disposal.
Don Landis likes this.
post #18 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Apple ,as you know,is a muti-product manufacturer,and,thus,has the advantage of staggering product introduction throughout the year.....and while Apple prefers to call it's own shots because of huge sales and brand recognition,Vizio does not have those weapons at it's disposal.

For what it's worth, Vizio builds PCs and audio products as well as TVs, so it too qualifies as a multi-product manufacturer. As for the timing, Vizio is big enough that if it holds a press conference, the press will come. The main thing is to hold the conference in the same location where you'll find tech press. In January, that's Vegas. For most of the rest of the year, NY and Cali are much better bets—ultimately you can't do better than NYC.

post #19 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I really dont care either way regarding Vizio and CES. What a do care about is Vizio actually releasing high-end displays they announce. I was excited for the XVT 72" from a few years back. Fool me once...
vinnie97 and thebesthereis like this.
post #20 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Apple does not display at CES, but I 100% guarantee they are there in force....all those back door meetings....ya gotta know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Quote:

But Vizio a'int Apple...
Namely, Apple doesn't make TVs. That said, Apple and Vizio share the same reasoning for skipping CES—the show does not align well with product cycles. The busiest time for TV shopping is the holiday season and the lead-up to the Super Bowl, but the current CES-centric product cycle means that there are few new TVs released and available for sale during that time. That's why Apple releases new iPhones each fall, to have the freshest product and the hype that goes with it during the prime retail season. It's a strategy worth emulating. 
post #21 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I don't ever recall seeing Vizio at CES. May have missed it but other than the off CES Hotel room, have they ever had a booth in the show?

There have been two resignations from CES of significance in recent years. JVC and Microsoft. Apple, a few years before. The largest TV mfg, that I can't find anywhere in retail stores is Hisense. CES is the only place I see them. They have a huge presence at CES.

Mark, sorry I missed Vizio, but thanks for posting this.
post #22 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

For what it's worth, Vizio builds PCs and audio products as well as TVs, so it too qualifies as a multi-product manufacturer. As for the timing, Vizio is big enough that if it holds a press conference, the press will come. The main thing is to hold the conference in the same location where you'll find tech press. In January, that's Vegas. For most of the rest of the year, NY and Cali are much better bets—ultimately you can't do better than NYC.

One would think that Vizio,apparently trying to compete with the heavy hitters in the industry,would want a comparison from experts whose opinions are valued at these gatherings.
I might add the apple is thought of as a high end seller......Can Vizio be equally tagged?
post #23 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Heck, years ago there used to be east and west coast Apple-centric trade shows, MacWorld - and Apple pulled out of them!
post #24 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 749
bold, but hopefully worth it.

vizio is known well enough in north america, and so far undercuts the competition in price and value. if they can let their product sell itself now, i'd be a supporter of that for sure. i'd MUCH rather pay for FALD then a booth at CES, or a 30second ad during the superbowl, or... you get the point.

too much of todays purchase price is not product cost, but marketing cost. i'd love to see a company break the mold and be successful. although, i'm making a LOT of assumptions on almost nothing, haha. they are probably just trying to market more effectively.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #25 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Why not pull away from the rest of the pack.......release the product in a timely manner (when promised).......send a few samples for review to the usual suspects......and if the product stands up to the hype, with the right price tag, they will be the talk on the town.

End of conversation.

Paul
post #26 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I don't ever recall seeing Vizio at CES. May have missed it but other than the off CES Hotel room, have they ever had a booth in the show?

There have been two resignations from CES of significance in recent years. JVC and Microsoft. Apple, a few years before. The largest TV mfg, that I can't find anywhere in retail stores is Hisense. CES is the only place I see them. They have a huge presence at CES.

Mark, sorry I missed Vizio, but thanks for posting this.

Vizio was set up at the Wynn

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #27 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Just because a move (or lack thereof) doesn't cause an enterprise to shutter their doors doesn't mean it's a "good move" much less, the "best" one.

A presence at the largest consumer electronics show in North America is rife with opportunity...and opportunity for missed opportunity, lol.

And, on the whole, it's a fantastically economically efficient means for getting your face in the face of the consumer community you're looking to sell product to.

Nothing says it has to be an "all or nothing" proposition of course, either. Dozens of company's show "x" amount of new product with a sneak peek at later-year offerings. Seems to me that's a solid methodology for most of them.

So then, enough to cause certain implosion? Certainly not. The absolute best move they could make? Certainly not.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #28 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Liked: 12

I actually followed the news from CES... And am awaiting one of their new Reference Series  panels to complement my 65ZT60 because of what I read about them.  This actually stopped me from purchasing any other UHD display.  Although, I think I am in the minority on this.  Most people research the internet leading up to purchase. They will get plenty of buzz from review sites and forums like this if their sets are as good as advertised. 

Side Note:

I wonder what ramifications there are to the "behind the scenes" activity that happens at CES.  There are some fantastic industry leaders there.  As a Leader and a Salesman I wonder why they are abandoning the obvious networking opportunity? 

post #29 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Bal

Liked: 10
I think you guys are missing the fact that CES is not about you and I. Its about dealers / installers as previously mentioned. The whole show is about new products for them to sell and install. The fact the general public gets involved is not really relevant to the purpose of the show.

Combine that with the fact that VIsio as a brand is not targeted at the dealer networks, but retail (who buy on the value proposition), and then throw in their product launch schedule, its a wonder Visio didn't pull out sooner.

CES was used by them to establish their branding years ago. Get their name out there...now that the branding is established, they can shift their marketing funds to focus on their actual target audience - retail (which is where common joe usually buys). Even their new upper echelon line is targeted for the savvy value buyer looking for quality he/she may not have expected from Vizio before. Its still not targeted at dealers (from what I can tell).

Think of it this way....whens the last time someone hired a professional installer and that installer recommended Vizio over another brand? Most never would. Dealers/Installers are not as focused on value. No offense to those who do.

I will even take it one step farther, with the internet providing lowest price shopping and educating people on how to DIY....the dealer installer market is already squeezed pretty hard as a % of total sales in the market. Vizio is just stepping right around the dealers straight to the consumers (retail). Why try to penetrate a market that's shrinking as a percentage of total sales and probably has little interest in your value brand?

Oh and ... I believe its safe to say Visio margins are thinner on a per set sold basis...hence they want to move volume. That once again leans away from dealers and CES.

Just my $0.02
post #30 of 66 Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 156
^ I'm sorry but I simply do not agree with you.

Surely you see how CNET, this site, and just about every other tech site slobbers all over every story (and non-story) that emanates from it? I saw a 5 minute blurb on Good Morning America, and USA Today had a front page spread...this isfor crikey.

It gets PLENTY of mainstream coverage, the Consumer Electronics show does.

CEDIA? Now that's something much different.

And again, I'd caution anyone over underestimating the bang-for-buck CES offers. No company is putting themselves in harms way by having a presence there, I can assure you.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Ces 2014 , Ces

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page