Samsung Pitches a Curve at The Guggenheim - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 939
^^pretty sure that guy you quoted is a 'bot' or something, as it's word for word the exact post i made a few days ago

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Having grown up with that Noguchi coffee table in our living room as a kid and teenager over those many years, never once did I look at it, then looking at the 25" tv screen against the wall did I *EVER* think: hmm, I wonder what a curved tv screen would be like, maybe a superior viewing experience?

However, one can offer that a 25" 4:3 television doesn't really need to be curved, it's just not wide enough. This being true, I have that same Noguchi coffee table in my own living room now and today, as an adult, with a 16:9 widescreen display not all that far behind it *NEVER ONCE* had the thought crossed my mind: hmm, I wonder what a curved tv screen would be like, maybe a superior viewing experience?

Additionally, having been a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, I got to see most, if not all of the classic science fiction/adventure films of the time in theaters with 70mm screens. And I believe that I eventually settled around the 7th to 12th or so row back from the front of the screen as the ideal viewing position. Closer than that and the film grain was, to my eyes, too distracting. And while watching those movies, *NEVER ONCE* had the thought crossed my mind: hmm, I wonder what a curved screen would be like, maybe a superior viewing experience?

nx211
post #93 of 118 Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Liked: 17
And BTW, watching movies in 70mm theaters was a different experience back then, *ESPECIALLY* in theaters that would have ultra long - throw lengths - the distance from the projector lens to the screen. Those theaters would offer the *BEST* 70mm experience.

My favorite was a theater off of route 4 in Paramus, NJ. It was by far the best place to go and see a movie. It had a huge throw length distance. I believe the seating capacity was well over 1500 seats, IIRC. I can still remember to this day the scene from the movie "The Empire Strikes Back" the speeders flying low, just over the hilly terrain and how *ENORMOUSLY HUGE* and *VERTIGO INDUCING* that scene was as the speeders climb up just in front of the rising terrain and then dive back down low to the ground after cresting the peak of the hills as they went out to search for Luke early in the morning.

You actually had to turn your head slightly to the left and the right in order to see the edges of the screen. And once again, *NEVER ONCE* did it cross my mind: Hmm, I wonder what this movie would look like if the screen was curved, maybe a superior viewing experience?

Sadly, those huge 70mm screens are a thing of the past. However the IMAX theaters of today sort of offer a similar experience.

nx211
post #94 of 118 Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This may be ignorant of me to say, but what I never understood about this whole curved screen "fad" is why they're not simply making a motorized set for the OLED models (i.e. press a button, it curves into shape, press it again, it goes flat).

When you're spending roughly $10,000 on a set, I don't think its unreasonable, especially since the OLED technology lends itself to being flexible (as I understand it, which is not very much, I just remember those old Youtube videos). This way they can market the gimmick for those filthy, dirty uninformed masses while those who know better can keep their sets flat. Everybody wins?

I've likely oversimplified issue and made this more sci-fi than realistic, so please feel free to interject.
RobAC likes this.
post #95 of 118 Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

^^i don't think that's ignorant, i think it makes sense. samsung(i think) already showed this to be possible, and it's the only thing that really makes sense. that way you can 'aim' your curve to the desired viewing distance, if you want the curve at all.

post #96 of 118 Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

^^i don't think that's ignorant, i think it makes sense. samsung(i think) already showed this to be possible, and it's the only thing that really makes sense. that way you can 'aim' your curve to the desired viewing distance, if you want the curve at all.

They showed that it's possible, not that it's a good idea, and not that they could keep it reliable, AND make it for a minimal cost increase.  Try to imagine millions of emitters all critically spaced.  Try to imagine the electron conduits feeding them.  Now try bending that back and forth depending on who happens to watch it.  Freaking horrible idea.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #97 of 118 Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
This is as progressive as oval car wheels...
erkq and wattheF like this.
post #98 of 118 Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

They showed that it's possible, not that it's a good idea, and not that they could keep it reliable, AND make it for a minimal cost increase.  Try to imagine millions of emitters all critically spaced.  Try to imagine the electron conduits feeding them.  Now try bending that back and forth depending on who happens to watch it.  Freaking horrible idea.

90% of those arguments could be said against curving the screen in general.

they proved that they COULD, but not that they SHOULD

personally, i'd rather spend an extra 500bux to have a screen that could be made flat...

haha, maybe that's their plan, 2017 we'll see new 'flat screens' at a premium price tongue.gif

post #99 of 118 Old 03-28-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

90% of those arguments could be said against curving the screen in general.

they proved that they COULD, but not that they SHOULD

personally, i'd rather spend an extra 500bux to have a screen that could be made flat...

haha, maybe that's their plan, 2017 we'll see new 'flat screens' at a premium price tongue.gif

Flat will be the "new" curved...

Blazar!
post #100 of 118 Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How far away was the photographer when he shot the pic of the two TVs with the eye chart? Because lines 7 and 8 are clearly legible on my iPad 2 on the UHd tv but not on the HD tv.
post #101 of 118 Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Liked: 12
I've seen a lot of gimmicks in my time, but this one tops it.
I agree that this concept is just another marketing ploy to be the first or best at a unique concept that bears no true functional benefit.
Come on Samsung! Redirect your intellect and resources to build a better UHDTV!
I can imagine it now. Some unsuspecting merchant buys up a load of them and in a few months can not give them away and is stuck with them..rolleyes.gif
post #102 of 118 Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recently saw a curved OLED set at a local Fry's electronics. I want to say it was a 55", and it actually made me dizzy to watch.

I'm sure your TV, which is "perceived to be $600 more's" novelty will wear off quickly if you have to pass out air sick bags to your buddies before they can watch.cool.gif

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Bowers and Wilkins HTM-61
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
Definitive Tech Supercube 2
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #103 of 118 Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The pre-orders are from retailers, not consumers.

With UHD4K you can sit much closer to the set and not see pixels therefore watched a curved 55" TV from a distance of 4 to 5 feet makes sense. The most stupid thing I've ever seen is mounting flatscreens above the fireplace.
post #104 of 118 Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni 

With UHD4K you can sit much closer to the set and not see pixels therefore watched a curved 55" TV from a distance of 4 to 5 feet makes sense. The most stupid thing I've ever seen is mounting flatscreens above the fireplace.

I don't think you can sit closer because of mediocre LCd motion.
StinDaWg and ChadThunder like this.
post #105 of 118 Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni View Post

There's only room for one in that 4 to 5 foot viewing distance sweet spot. All others will have distorted geometry.

Totally agree on the fireplace thing!
post #106 of 118 Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm really excited to view all my old SD TV shows and play my huge library of SNES, NES, and Genesis games on an 80"+ 4K curved screen. rolleyes.gif I wish there was a way to make HD sets that weren't a fixed resolution.

With that rant out of the way, I used to really like Samsung, but if this curved BS doesn't stink of a marketing gimmick, I don't know what does. Give it a year or two and Samsung will be pushing other stupid crap. This curved BS reminds me of their touch of color stuff that they did for a couple of years. Ohhhhh, I've gotta have a purple TV!!! It's like art!!! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #107 of 118 Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Liked: 10

Hmm, 3D is really good on DLP projectors. I just bought Acer H5380BD and have very good looking 100" screen in my living room for £379. DLP link 3D glasses costs £15, SainSonic Zodiac are very comfortable even when wearing them over my prescription glasses. The quality of 3D on this cheap projector is stuning. Tried Gravity and some PC gaming.

post #108 of 118 Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

And yet Samung, the market leader in TV sales, is clearly convinced the curve is the feature that attracts buyers. There's no indication that Samsung's TV strategy is not working; the company has a dominant—and growing—market share.

You spend enough money on advertising, and in this day and age, it's EASY convincing low-information consumers that 'curved' is where it's at! Check that....NO-information consumers. I've hated Samsung for years, but credit their marketing to the continuing gullible masses...good job Sammy!
ChadThunder likes this.
post #109 of 118 Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

Quote:

And yet Samung, the market leader in TV sales, is clearly convinced the curve is the feature that attracts buyers. There's no indication that Samsung's TV strategy is not working; the company has a dominant—and growing—market share.

You spend enough money on advertising, and in this day and age, it's EASY convincing low-information consumers that 'curved' is where it's at! Check that....NO-information consumers. I've hated Samsung for years, but credit their marketing to the continuing gullible masses...good job Sammy!

I have nothing against Samsung, but I believe that because they've so badly @#$% the bed with OLED, they're hoping to be viewed as "still on the leading edge" so long as they produce curved.  A little bit of an intentional confusion.  I don't hold that against them though: it's what I would do in their place.  The very last thing in the world they can afford to do is look like they're stuck in 2013 forever.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #110 of 118 Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Make me a larger tv that I can roll up into a map cannister and sling it on my back to take over to a friends house and watch premium res on the go, then I'll be impressed. That may come some day. That will be a true new chapter in TVs. Not curved screens. rolleyes.gif
post #111 of 118 Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Everything is relative to the "newness" of the moment, including our artistic reactions, but keep in mind what the device is.

Example: Anyone here remember this commercial from 1998?  "Philips: Introducing Flat TV".  At the time I thought this was about the coolest looking thing I could have imagined.  Hard to imagine now, but I remember thinking to myself how impossibly thin that looked.  But even then I knew not to view it as a work of art.  It would only have been a TV.  A $13,000 TV, but a TV.

Actually, the one above seems larger than the one they released for $13,000.  I had thought it was a 32" but maybe they used a larger one for the commercial?

There was a $20k 42". I only know this because Sun TV had one for their Grand Reopening and it was a pretty big event, they were advertising it on the radio and a lot of people showed up to go see it. I wasn't all that impressed, but someone ended up buying it for $14k when they were going out of business. I got a DVD player on a whim instead when they were 80% off for like $150. I was the only person I knew with one, Circuit City had one tiny spinner rack of DVDs. biggrin.gif
post #112 of 118 Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrly View Post

Quote:

Everything is relative to the "newness" of the moment, including our artistic reactions, but keep in mind what the device is.

Example: Anyone here remember this commercial from 1998?  "Philips: Introducing Flat TV".  At the time I thought this was about the coolest looking thing I could have imagined.  Hard to imagine now, but I remember thinking to myself how impossibly thin that looked.  But even then I knew not to view it as a work of art.  It would only have been a TV.  A $13,000 TV, but a TV.

Actually, the one above seems larger than the one they released for $13,000.  I had thought it was a 32" but maybe they used a larger one for the commercial?

There was a $20k 42". I only know this because Sun TV had one for their Grand Reopening and it was a pretty big event, they were advertising it on the radio and a lot of people showed up to go see it. I wasn't all that impressed, but someone ended up buying it for $14k when they were going out of business. I got a DVD player on a whim instead when they were 80% off for like $150. I was the only person I knew with one, Circuit City had one tiny spinner rack of DVDs. biggrin.gif

Holy crap!  That's a lot of money for a non-HD TV.  How'd it look (at the time)?  Any IR/BI etc?  Dying to know.  And back then 42" was freak-show HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still not sure, but I think the advertisement was their 32", though if so it sure is deceiving.  If you look carefully at it when the two guys are hanging it, the screen region is inset yet again with another black border....almost like two bezels.  The inner inner one is pretty small.

post #113 of 118 Old 04-14-2014, 01:29 PM

Liked: 27
Well, Samsung managed to get people to think the LCD/LED is wonderful though the reality is that Plasma is superior.

Manufactures in fact have done it so well that Plasma is just about dead now.

Not the first time inferior tech wins out
StinDaWg and ChadThunder like this.
post #114 of 118 Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, Samsung managed to get people to think the LCD/LED is wonderful though the reality is that Plasma is superior.

Manufactures in fact have done it so well that Plasma is just about dead now.

Not the first time inferior tech wins out

marketing ALWAYS beats reality...

I was saying it when plasma was dieing, it had nothing to do with the tech or its performance, and everything to do with the fact no manufacturer even attempted to market plasma as the superior picture

post #115 of 118 Old 04-15-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Quote:

marketing ALWAYS beats reality...

I was saying it when plasma was dieing, it had nothing to do with the tech or its performance, and everything to do with the fact no manufacturer even attempted to market plasma as the superior picture

It also has a little bit to do with European energy standards, issues with image retention, the impracticality of making the leap to UHD resolutions with larger screen sizes, lower weight per-unit with LED/LCD (plus no need for a glass panel), and also suitability for bright room viewing. 

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #116 of 118 Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It also has a little bit to do with European energy standards, issues with image retention, the impracticality of making the leap to UHD resolutions with larger screen sizes, lower weight per-unit with LED/LCD (plus no need for a glass panel), and also suitability for bright room viewing. 

and that's why a technology with terrible viewing angles, poor contrast, difficulties producing black, poor motion, and is unsuitable for dark room viewing is leading the marketplace?

I mean, if we were at least dealing with FALD led displays, I'd get it. but edge-lit led is terrible. it's the only display I've had at home and concluded was 'unwatchable'.

the only one of the above things you posted that has any credit imo is the energy standards.

post #117 of 118 Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM

I think the curve screen will be attractive to gamers, but it's cool that they were at the Guggenheim. Great venue for a curved screen.
imagic likes this.
post #118 of 118 Old 05-05-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 3049

The other shoe drops... 

Is Samsung Giving Up On OLED TV?

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version