Samsung Announces 2014 TV Lineup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 03-27-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
$2500 for the bottom of the line curved 55" ? WTF? The $1900 flat is no bargain either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Samsung is going to have a very bad year in the TV division. This curved screen gimmick, the failure of their OLED tech, the decision to go mostly edge-lit and continuing pricing pressure from the Chinese. If they don't get their act together they will be out of the display business in the next 5 years.

And we'll all be watching crappy edge lit UHD 4K screens with halo blue tinted blacks to see the overly compressed 1080P Netflix movies! And those Chinese TVs will burn up in 2 years.
David Susilo and ChadThunder like this.
post #33 of 57 Old 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Video might have killed the Radio Star, but Apple killed the Audiophile.

Couldn't disagree more. They may not cater to them but they certainly didn't kill them.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #34 of 57 Old 03-27-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

$2500 for the bottom of the line curved 55" ? WTF? The $1900 flat is no bargain either.

They aren't their bottom of the line displays. Maybe the least expensive curved display, but they start above the middle of their line.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #35 of 57 Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
samsung can't successfully manufacture oleds so their strategy is to curve their edge lt lcd to confuse
Ignorant consumers from considering lg's oleds

can't beat the competition so let's fud up the marketplace

neflixis our nemesis
post #36 of 57 Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Are they serious? This reminds me of Nero fiddling or someone telling breadless peasants to eat cake. I would never buy an LCD and I certainly wouldn't buy a resolution unsupported by standards or actual content. Oh, and where is this OLED that's been right around the corner for the past 3 years?

You're wrong, OLED has been around the corner for the last DECADE!! seriously!!
steve1971 likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #37 of 57 Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Couldn't disagree more. They may not cater to them but they certainly didn't kill them.

They sure didn't help to spur new ones, people today grow up listening to compressed ear bud music and think that is cool. They would not know good quality music if it smacked them upside the head, especially when more and more of today's music is auto-tuned and synthesized.
post #38 of 57 Old 03-28-2014, 04:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

There's no way I would ever buy a curved TV. I think that will be a big flop.

Exactly. It's a ridiculous concept.
post #39 of 57 Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Video might have killed the Radio Star, but Apple killed the Audiophile.

Or the boombox! smile.gifhttp://www.pooraudiophile.com/2014/03/did-ipod-kill-boom-box.html

post #40 of 57 Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yea, might as well blame Sony (walkman) for killing the audophile if you're going to try blaming Apple (and I am disdainful of both Sony and Apple for many reasons).
post #41 of 57 Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And we'll all be watching crappy edge lit UHD 4K screens with halo blue tinted blacks to see the overly compressed 1080P Netflix movies! And those Chinese TVs will burn up in 2 years.

Yaaaay "progress"!!! tongue.gif

my home theatre

post #42 of 57 Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yea, might as well blame Sony (walkman) for killing the audophile if you're going to try blaming Apple (and I am disdainful of both Sony and Apple for many reasons).

Well, and not to get too OT, we might even find that Apple helped to breed audiophiles. After all, they have been an integral part of ingraining music culture in todays' youth. Once they hear what quality source and equipment can bring, it could create new audiophiles in droves. Hook em' with the content, and lock em' up with quality! It's all in how you look at it.

post #43 of 57 Old 03-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Samsung is going to have a very bad year in the TV division. This curved screen gimmick, the failure of their OLED tech, the decision to go mostly edge-lit and continuing pricing pressure from the Chinese. If they don't get their act together they will be out of the display business in the next 5 years.

It's the circle of life. tongue.gif The Japanese are pushed out by the Koreans who, in turn, will be pushed out by the Chinese. Who will come after the Chinese?

Pioneer, JVC, and Toshiba are already kaput. Panasonic and Sony are barely holding on. I think you are quite correct about 5 year timeline. Samsung and LG will be in Japanese shoes about then. Hisense and TCL will push them out.
post #44 of 57 Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

It's the circle of life. tongue.gif The Japanese are pushed out by the Koreans who, in turn, will be pushed out by the Chinese. Who will come after the Chinese?

Pioneer, JVC, and Toshiba are already kaput. Panasonic and Sony are barely holding on. I think you are quite correct about 5 year timeline. Samsung and LG will be in Japanese shoes about then. Hisense and TCL will push them out.

And yet, the company putting pressure on the others is Vizio—not HiSense or TCL. While I agree the Chinese are a threat, it's a mistake to simply say Samsung is misguided and mistaken. Samsung pursued premium priced edgelit LCD and ate the competition's lunch—including Panasonic plasma and Sharp Elite LCD. Until sales figures are in, counting Samsung out would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #45 of 57 Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

And yet, the company putting pressure on the others is Vizio—not HiSense or TCL. While I agree the Chinese are a threat, it's a mistake to simply say Samsung is misguided and mistaken. Samsung pursued premium priced edgelit LCD and ate the competition's lunch—including Panasonic plasma and Sharp Elite LCD. Until sales figures are in, counting Samsung out would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Of course, Samsung is dominant now but we were talking about 5 years from now. And I agree that Vizio most likely will be the next (if not already at lower price point) dominant player in the domestic US market. However, one can make an argument that Vizio is de facto Chinese manufacturer, seeing that only the management, marketing and maybe "design" is in US; and the actual engineering and manufacturing is done in China, kinda like JVC and Toshiba.

Overseas, I believe, Chinese brands have made significant inroads. In fact, first time I heard of Hisense and TCL was from Australian AVS member posting about them.
post #46 of 57 Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Of course, Samsung is dominant now but we were talking about 5 years from now. And I agree that Vizio most likely will be the next (if not already at lower price point) dominant player in the domestic US market. However, one can make an argument that Vizio is de facto Chinese manufacturer, seeing that only the management, marketing and maybe "design" is in US; and the actual engineering and manufacturing is done in China, kinda like JVC and Toshiba.

Overseas, I believe, Chinese brands have made significant inroads. In fact, first time I heard of Hisense and TCL was from Australian AVS member posting about them.

Vizio has been the number one selling HDTV in the USA for the past several years (at least for some quarters where I have seen sales numbers). They started off with the lower-end "value" models and have slowly been moving up the food chain where their mid-level LCD/LED Smart HDTVs have bee selling well for the past couple of years. It looks like they are getting ready to move up another step. As far as I know Vizio themselves manufacture nothing (i.e., don't own/operate factories). Rather they have products built to their specs. by Asian suppliers (but did I hear somewhere some are now being assembled in Mexico). At one time the company Delta was Vizio's supplier and my oldest Vizio HDTV used a panel and all internal PC boards from LG and Delta put the TV together with a cabinet designed specifically for Vizio. Vizio still seems to be using panels from LG in at least some of their higher-end TVs.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #47 of 57 Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

I am depressed with all the gimmiks, curved is a fad and the loss of Plasma and no reasonable priced/sized OLED on the horizon has me wishing I could have stocked up on VT/ZT60s to last me a few years. I blame the ipod on all the acceptance of mediocrity. People have no clue about true audio/video fidelity and let all the gimmicks and bling (torch mode and fancy demos) sway their decisions. UHD on a backlit display with no content and people are oogling this stuff like it is so impressive.

That was just a great rant +1"

+2

The companies developing OLED TV's have run into real world manufacturing problems that were unanticipated. They have not found a solution, so the fantastic PQ that was the promise is not materializing. The OLED sales gap is being addressed by this new whiz bang curved screen fad. We don't like it, but Sammy is trying to fill a forecasted sales revenue gap.
post #48 of 57 Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 1997

I think Samsung's move is relatively savvy. LG invested in curved OLED, which is a genuine advance in image quality. Nevertheless, consumers have repeatedly shown a willingness to buy LED-lit LCD TVs instead of plasma, where a similar quality gap exists. The problem is the price of OLED—it's still too high. 

Samsung will have the most affordable curved screens available this year, and my guess is that typical TV buyers won't know the difference between OLED and LCD. I think the question is whether the curve will appeal enough to command a premium over flat screens—not whether curved OLED is worth a premium over curved LCD.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #49 of 57 Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
* Curved screens are for the Market that goes to the IMAX theatres> Anyone who goes to an IMAX movie is blown away by how it looks> especially how 3D works on a curved screen> The Marketing of Curved screens means they're trying to bring that HUGE market that enjoys watching 3D movies on an IMAX screen> didn't Avatar score big box office numbers in IMAX theatres alone?

*The only real solution to bring back Market demand for ANY HDTV it to just make them Bigger> Start off with 70" (Curved or Flat Panel @$1,800) and work up to "100> I agree some people will never want a screen bigger than 60" but some people also want to feel like their in the theater, people can't make up their minds cause they don't want what they don't need although they do (if that makes sense.)

As for OLED tech> I say it's still a few years away> This is what needs to happen, ULTRA HD needs to bring out LARGE display's (despite them not being too popular for some consumers due to size constraints etc)...when people buy ULTRA with Edge lit in a few years the market soon will tire of crummy Contrast levels and same viewing angles as previous generations of tv's> this might bring more demand for models with Backlit LED displays...but will still not solve continuing issues related to *1~ Viewing angles *2~ Contrast levels *3~Black Levels*4~ Haloing + Added costs to implement backlit tech...etc > so after paying off their Debts in R&D for OLED by selling ULTRA HD to the market>then... they will finally cut their losses, and bring OLED ULTRA HD to Market.

* By cutting their losses I mean not having to RE-engineer a display to look better than the previous generation> this is the main isssue IMO with HDTV's they have continuing issues that each year R&D solves with these special RGBW tech with Micro Dimming etc>stuff that is Expensive to implement in any TV>>>>OLED has no need for further research and improvement to satisfy the market> Manufacturers can now focus on Content technology that will bring more people to smart TV's without paying the price to make them look better> how many Panasonic IPS panels or Sony panels have come to market that bragged about some sort of Black level tech>>> Each Year?.
post #50 of 57 Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Well, and not to get too OT, we might even find that Apple helped to breed audiophiles. After all, they have been an integral part of ingraining music culture in todays' youth. Once they hear what quality source and equipment can bring, it could create new audiophiles in droves. Hook em' with the content, and lock em' up with quality! It's all in how you look at it.

Though this has very little to do with Samsung's latest TV's, for a high quality digital audio player check out iriver.
http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak240/ak240_feature01.asp
I have one of their E300's and so far it is by far the best made, best sounding MP3 player that I owned.
It's software is a little lacking as compared to others, but its quality build and sound quality make up for it.

If you are looking for a top of the line audiophile based option, try their AK240, at $2.5K, I will never own one but it looks very impressive.
post #51 of 57 Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

$2.5K for an MP3 player with no more than $300 in manufacturing cost? At $1K maybe, and that's still a big maybe. The noise from the surrounding area etc renders the extra quality produced by the player moot. I've tried it, it's not worth the money even while wearing $500 headphones. YMMV, of course.

my home theatre

post #52 of 57 Old 04-07-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

$2.5K for an MP3 player with no more than $300 in manufacturing cost? At $1K maybe, and that's still a big maybe. The noise from the surrounding area etc renders the extra quality produced by the player moot. I've tried it, it's not worth the money even while wearing $500 headphones. YMMV, of course.

I used to get in this argument in the car audio forums all the time. once I roll my windows down, there's no point in spending 10k on components, haha
David Susilo likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #53 of 57 Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't roll down my car window and add sound deadeners in my MB. Even then the road noise and tyre noise are "killing" the enjoyment of my music listening frown.gif

Well, it neither here nor there. Time to end this OT ramblings biggrin.gif

my home theatre

post #54 of 57 Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I happen to like curved. It makes complete sense on big screens at appropriate viewing distance. This thread seems like old man yelling get off my flat screen lawn. But to each their own.
David Susilo likes this.
post #55 of 57 Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man View Post

I happen to like curved. It makes complete sense on big screens at appropriate viewing distance. This thread seems like old man yelling get off my flat screen lawn. But to each their own.

This is just like 4K UHD argument threads. People who never seen the TV are the loudest naysayer rolleyes.gif

my home theatre

post #56 of 57 Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

This is just like 4K UHD argument threads. People who never seen the TV are the loudest naysayer rolleyes.gif

Yep, it's disappointing to see that here at AVS. You would think there would be enlightenment here instead of villagers with their torches and pitch forks. And even worse are those who simply mimic what others are saying just like children.
rlb and David Susilo like this.
post #57 of 57 Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I have a curved set...not by choice but because OLED was only being offered in that format. I wouldn't be forlorn if I never owned one again.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page