post #31 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

All cell phone mfrs. agreed on a standard for charging - micro usb. Apple refused - figuring they could make more $ by selling their own type of plug. They then made their own users trash those when they came out with the latest Apple phone with a different type of connection!

And Sony's never pushed a proprietary format or card or connector.

Or Microsoft for that matter.

Also, we all know Apple's plug for the original iPhone wasn't invented for the iPhone. It came out years before for iPod. So I'm not sure that it was all that shocking they used it. And use it they did, in almost all of their products, for a decade. (Which is a pretty good shelf life for a cable type format.)

The way I look at it, you either view the curated 'garden' as a blessing of less headaches to deal with, or less choice to be given. I guess I don't see where this angst comes from when a company like Apple doesn't exactly hide that this is not only the way they prefer to do it, but they've been consistant in operating this way for some time.
Quote:
In the meantime, users have found other programs that might even work better for them and they won't have to pay the $100/yr. MS will be charging for their programs!

Yes, like Apple's Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. All free when you buy their devices. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Or Microsoft for that matter.

Also, we all know Apple's plug for the original iPhone wasn't invented for the iPhone. It came out years before for iPod. So I'm not sure that it was all that shocking they used it. And use it they did, in almost all of their products, for a decade. (Which is a pretty good shelf life for a cable type format.)

The way I look at it, you either view the curated 'garden' as a blessing of less headaches to deal with, or less choice to be given. I guess I don't see where this angst comes from when a company like Apple doesn't exactly hide that this is not only the way they prefer to do it, but they've been consistant in operating this way for some time.
Yes, like Apple's Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. All free when you buy their devices. ;-)

Well I don't know about you, but when I bought my iPhone 5s with the Lightning connector I immediately threw away the other 4 iPods I have in use and my original iPad, so of course all those cables I had accumulated became instantly useless. In fact, I think Apple somehow made them stop working altogether with a carefully calculated blast from an evil ray that is mounted at the top of the TransAmerica Pyramid.

Can someone please help me get my Sony Memory Stick to work in my Zune?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #33 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Quote:

Well I don't know about you, but when I bought my iPhone 5s with the Lightning connector I immediately threw away the other 4 iPods I have in use and my original iPad, so of course all those cables I had accumulated became instantly useless. In fact, I think Apple somehow made them stop working altogether with a carefully calculated blast from an evil ray that is mounted at the top of the TransAmerica Pyramid.

Can someone please help me get my Sony Memory Stick to work in my Zune?
I saw a Flash video on how to do that. Oh wait, Flash won't play on Apple...rolleyes.gif
AaronMK likes this.
post #34 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I saw a Flash video on how to do that. Oh wait, Flash won't play on Apple...rolleyes.gif

And that doesn't bother me one bit. Anything worth watching is available in a better format. Any website worth visiting is not created in flash.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #35 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

And that doesn't bother me one bit. Anything worth watching is available in a better format. Any website worth visiting is not created in flash.

....Because Steve Jobs said so. So there.

Anyway, back on topic, I personally don't want anything Apple on my TV or even in my house.
post #36 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 237
If apple can organize with cable and get me at least blu-ray quality audio and video ... Im all over that.

Of course I have suddenlink and not comcast, so not sure what good it would do me now anyway.

Blazar!
post #37 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

Almost no major site seems to be in flash that I care to visit. Steve jobs was right about this after all. iOS has higher paying customers that have been proven to spend more money on the internet. High end websites that want to sell stuff to premium customers have no choice but to make a non-flash website.

Blazar!
post #38 of 42 Old 03-29-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Quote:

Almost no major site seems to be in flash that I care to visit. Steve jobs was right about this after all. iOS has higher paying customers that have been proven to spend more money on the internet. High end websites that want to sell stuff to premium customers have no choice but to make a non-flash website.
Sadly, this seems to be true. Even for the same item: http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/03/ipad-users-could-be-charged-more-to-shop-online-with-personalised-pricing-3246956/
post #39 of 42 Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Flash? As in the basically closed format that only Adobe curated?

Odd that some show disdain about the proprietary standards and approach that Apple pushes on one hand but ignore the rather nice benefits of them pushing HTML 5, CSS3, and JQuery for a more open internet for everyone. It's not an either / or, there's examples of push/shove all over the place from just about every big tech company.
post #40 of 42 Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Flash? As in the basically closed format that only Adobe curated?

Odd that some show disdain about the proprietary standards and approach that Apple pushes on one hand but ignore the rather nice benefits of them pushing HTML 5, CSS3, and JQuery for a more open internet for everyone. It's not an either / or, there's examples of push/shove all over the place from just about every big tech company.

I don't think either are open or the right answer.

Flash is owned by Adobe and is old technology, but is mature enough to support compression, et.al. that HTML 5 doesn't. Adobe has had the same control that Apple touts over the lifetime of Flash, which is coming to an end.

HTML5 is open by name, with Apple, Mozilla and Opera controlling it. It's an unfinished spec and dependent on browser implementation. To me it works only as far as the browser can throw it. It may turn out to be the solution to everything, but now is not.

Both either include inherently (Flash) or will include by defined extensions (HTML5) DRM, so to me neither are open. There definitely is always a proprietary desire by all large companies, to keep their profits flowing. Apple has never been shy about its circled wagons.

That's fine for their business model and customers that are comfortable with that. Pertinent to this topic though, the idea of supplanting open access to the internet and streamed or downloaded paid for content in a direct contract between myself and a provider (Netflix, Amazon... ?) for movies, podcasts, web access by a filter applied by a Comcast / Apple consortium is not appealing.
AaronMK likes this.
post #41 of 42 Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I don't think either are open or the right answer.

Flash is owned by Adobe and is old technology, but is mature enough to support compression, et.al. that HTML 5 doesn't. Adobe has had the same control that Apple touts over the lifetime of Flash, which is coming to an end.

HTML5 is open by name, with Apple, Mozilla and Opera controlling it. It's an unfinished spec and dependent on browser implementation. To me it works only as far as the browser can throw it. It may turn out to be the solution to everything, but now is not.

Both either include inherently (Flash) or will include by defined extensions (HTML5) DRM, so to me neither are open. There definitely is always a proprietary desire by all large companies, to keep their profits flowing. Apple has never been shy about its circled wagons.

That's fine for their business model and customers that are comfortable with that. Pertinent to this topic though, the idea of supplanting open access to the internet and streamed or downloaded paid for content in a direct contract between myself and a provider (Netflix, Amazon... ?) for movies, podcasts, web access by a filter applied by a Comcast / Apple consortium is not appealing.

Outside of the compression comment (Didn't understand this, .flv for example was a differently encapsulated .mp4 format, so nothing to gain there. Or were your referring to something like LZMA?) I agree with most of it. My take away is this is always a highly imperfect process and that's sort of typical. ;-)
post #42 of 42 Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Not quite correct. FLV is merely a container, or 'delivery system'...
Quote:
Flash Video FLV files usually contain material encoded with codecs following the Sorenson Spark or VP6 video compression formats. The most recent public releases of Flash Player (collaboration between Adobe Systems and MainConcept) also support H.264 video and HE-AAC audio.[4] All of these compression formats are currently restricted by patents.

MP4 can contain quite a few other formats...
Quote:
MPEG-4 files may contain any number of audio, video, and even subtitle streams, making it impossible to determine the type of streams in an MPEG-4 file based on its filename extension alone.

The amount of compression depends on the video and audio codec used.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Comcast , Apple

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page