Vudu Comes to Chromecast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 1654

Last week, Scott Wilkinson reported on the addition of several important apps to the Chromecast library. Now, another major player in the app universe has joined the family—Vudu.

Taking advantage of Vudu on Google's streaming stick is simple. Thanks to the DIAL (DIscovery And Launch) protocol, there is no need to set up a Chromecast as a new device; instead you use the Vudu website (on a PC) or a Vudu app (on Android/iOS). Vudu has already updated its apps to incorporate the new functionality.

Quote:
"...owners of Google's $35 HDMI dongle can now stream their entire collection of movies and TV shows in 1080p with just a press of the Cast button. That includes Ultraviolet digital copies, and while the code redemption process has been a source of frustration for many, Chromecast support means easy and cheap access without needing to log in, activate another device or set up an account again." source: engadget

I'm excited about this development, because I have a rather large library of Vudu movies and TV shows in Vudu HDX format. It's nice to see Vudu achieve such ubiquity—the service offers a viable and high-quality alternative to Apple's iTunes. As a bonus, using Chromecast to watch Vudu content is faster and easier than it is with my Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player. That alone is enough to make Chromecast my Vudu playback device of choice.

Are you excited to see Vudu make this move?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
does that mean I can now bring my device with me to a hotel (or friends house) and plug in to the TV and enjoy my movies? That does sound pretty good.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

does that mean I can now bring my device with me to a hotel (or friends house) and plug in to the TV and enjoy my movies? That does sound pretty good.

There are significant obstacles to getting that to work in a Hotel room unless you also bring your own internet connection or know how to work around the public internet login. Bringing it to a friend's house should be a piece of cake.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Would like to see Vudu rework their app. Currentlynot possible to browse and choose rentals to watch from the app. Need to select and download on a PC first. Not very convenient.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

There are significant obstacles to getting that to work in a Hotel room unless you also bring your own internet connection or know how to work around the public internet login. Bringing it to a friend's house should be a piece of cake.
You should do an article on hotels with the best wifi connect and tell us why hotels screw us with artificially bad wifi receptions.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

You should do an article on hotels with the best wifi connect and tell us why hotels screw us with artificially bad wifi receptions.

That's a good idea. When I was reporting from CEDIA and CES last years, hotel WiFi bandwidth was a huge issue.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43

I use an HTPC for EVERYTHING... so I would be more excited to see Vudu come to the Windows app store.  As far as I know (I am not subscribed to Vudu because of this) Vudu does not allow for Dolby Digital output via the browser (Google Chrome in my case).  This is the same for Amazon Instant Video I believe.  I've only been able to get DD+ via the Netflix app in Windows 8.1

I guess this is the downside of having an HTPC as my sole media player... If only the Windows app store would catch up.

I suppose if I did get the chromecast, I could connect it to my HDMI input on the back of my receiver, however, would I believe to control the chromecast if it is hidden behind my receiver in one of the inputs?  Is it IR line of site or is it controlled via blue tooth?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

That's a good idea. When I was reporting from CEDIA and CES last years, hotel WiFi bandwidth was a huge issue.

That is the fault of CEDIA and CES. You can't expect hotels to handle that kind of desired bandwidth for a small subset of conventions.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
MAN IF chrocast can team up with hd homerun tuners. that would be really great. mohu is coming out in june with mohu channels which would combine OTA, APPS, AND WEB BROWSERS LIKE FACEBOOK. The one thing mohu is not saying is if there is a way to record mulitply channels by using network tuners like the homerun.

Is there an app I am missing that can utilize the home runs and cast it to the chrome cast?

I like the chrome cast a-lot, it streams netflix at 1080p good and regular. Does anybody know why my oppo 103 and xbox 360 can not stream higher than 480p? I have tried wired and wireless on both with no luck.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page