Ready for Prime Time: Amazon Fire TV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I got mine on Friday and really like it. I have used Amazon Prime, Crackle and Netflix so far and all work flawlessly. No issues at all. Additionally, the device is much faster than the Roku3 I have. Prime streams start almost instantly while Crackle and Netflix do a little buffering ahead of time. While I hate not having IR support, the remote that comes with it works well and the voice search is great and accurate. If it ever gets enabled cross-platform, this will be a big selling feature...I hate typing with remotes. Once Media Browser releases the FireTV app, my Roku will definitely end up in the spare bedroom and the Fire will become my primary device.

Shan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shan,

Does it work with a Bluetooth keyboard or a USB keyboard?
post #93 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

Also, in 2 years when samsung leaves you behind in smarthub software support/updates, you'll need to buy a new TV tongue.gif

I have a UN55D8000 TV, and samsung's Plex app has been crippled for the longest time. They didn't update the API for apps, for newer MKV's, and been playing games with the Plex dev who's been trying to get the app updated. Recently they approved the latest rev of Plex, but started with 2013 TV's to push out the update. then something happened with their update servers, and by the time they got around to fixing it, they dropped the D series support. Now the Plex dev has to do a special update request, and jump through a million hoops again.

Smart TV's are kinda a joke, since like tablets, and phones, the manufactures drop support soon as their latest and greatest device comes out. Don't get me wrong, they're nice to have initially, until your favorite apps don't get updated or work anymore.

Correct - and if you have a 1080p Samsung that can be upgraded via the Evolution kit you are going to be left in the dust over the next 18 months as Samsung put more of their eggs in the 4K basket ...

Be far better and cheaper just buying a polished device like this that can be sold on a couple of years down the line.biggrin.gif
post #94 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheadland View Post

Shan,

Does it work with a Bluetooth keyboard or a USB keyboard?

I don't have a bluetooth keyboard so I cannot try pairing it. I have not heard anything about it supporting it. My understanding is that a USB keyboard will work but I have not tried it.

Shan
post #95 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post

I've been playing with mine for a few hours now. It's not bad but I like my WDTV live a lot better. The lack of DNLA support is bugging me more than I thought it would.

Doesn't Plex fix that for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdunnam View Post

It should be noted the final price is not $99. One must subscribe to the apps in order to receive content. It would be nice to know what the final price would be after subscribing to all the apps. It should also be noted that each app, although similar, does not necessarily provide the same content. It would also be interesting to see how the apps differ in order to maximze the cost to benefit ratio when considering purchasing the Amazon unit.

Here is a jus a minimal sampling of viewing:

$99 - Amazon Fire TV box
$ 8 - Hulu Plus / month
$ 8 - Netflix / month
$99 - Amazon Prime Instant Video / year
$214 - Total Inital Purchase Price (with $16/month recurring price for Hulu and Netflix)

$291 per year there after (for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Instant Video)

P.S. Go to the other content provider websites (such as Showtime) and notice that although the Fire TV box indicates it can provide that content, the other websites are not as quick to indicate as much.

These costs would be there for the same services on any device (Roku, ATV, SmartTV...) so it's irrelevant unless you can't use this without Prime at all.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #96 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM

CONFUSED: If I use my Panny Smart Blue Ray for wifi with Panny Plasmza and NAD 757. I get movie or TV series using Netflix in Dolby Digital.

PROBLEM: Just hooked up Amazon Fire TV, Netflix on Amazon (very same movie or TV Series) audio is PCM Stereo

I am using a Linke1000 router. Do I need a different router to get Surround out of this Amazon Fire????
post #97 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Unfortunately the only TV's they're in right now are bottom tier junk.

That's true. Unfortunately, the big manufacturers (especially Samsung) have their own interfaces, although a lot of them could really benefit from having Roku's interface. TiVo's interface is still a lot better, but it's not a very good device for streaming... only for being a DVR.
post #98 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM

It hooks up easily to Netflix and will open to Netflix right where you left off. The interface is fast. It quickly and precisely rewinds and fast forwards, almost as quickly as the PS3. It is a world better than the AppleTV3. In fact, after one evening with the FireTV, I boxed up my ATV3 and put it for sale on Craigslist.
post #99 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
when will a linux build for the quad core Fire TV become available? I want just pure xbmc. I would upgrade from my little black box when this is available. I know the box will cost a bit more ($130 - $150) but it would be worth it. Quad core with 2 GB RAM would be so sweet running pure xbmc. I dream...
Phrehdd likes this.
post #100 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Anybody know of a video on Amazon Prime or youtube that supports both 1080 and DD EX?
post #101 of 132 Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post

Doesn't Plex fix that for you?
These costs would be there for the same services on any device (Roku, ATV, SmartTV...) so it's irrelevant unless you can't use this without Prime at all.

Plex isn't really great for me. I like to leave my computers off when not in use (while watching movies) which makes Plex unusable for streaming content from my NAS. Also I like to work on my laptop and push music to my WDTV Live with Foobar. It allows me to control the songs, order, etc... fast and efficiently, but it uses DNLA so it cannot connect. I used Plex to connect the stream which works for a few minutes before the stream starts skipping (which doesn't happen with the WDTV or my Denon receiver), if I hit stop and play the stream works again for a few minutes before skipping again. I put the Amazon box in the bedroom for netflix. I'll keep playing with it and see if it gets better or else I'll buy another WDTV Live.

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #102 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

This just came in: Amazon's crap doesn't even support 'HBO Go'.

(Oh and also Spotify. :))

post #103 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhowl View Post

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

This just came in: Amazon's crap doesn't even support 'HBO Go'.

(Oh and also Spotify. :))

This chart is in the original post. No HBO Go is no surprise.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #104 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received mine last Friday, and am pleased so far, last night I added some apps and received an email(I have Prime), telling about them. The resolution is very good it is quick and stable. The UI videos about how to use it have been helpful. I received the controller Monday(already sold out), I am not a gamer but decided to try something different and it seems well made and was simple to pair. I messed around with Badlands(which I have on my Ipad Air). I have retired the roku2 xs, but when the ATV,s come out on the 2nd of June I will get another of those. I think the quick addition of XBMC and all the reviews about how more things will be coming soon are encouraging. I am hoping the system will be more open than Apples. We Will See. ron
post #105 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

I'm leaning towards one of these in hopes that stuff like HBO GO and others will be there soon.

post #106 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd777 View Post

CONFUSED: If I use my Panny Smart Blue Ray for wifi with Panny Plasmza and NAD 757. I get movie or TV series using Netflix in Dolby Digital.

PROBLEM: Just hooked up Amazon Fire TV, Netflix on Amazon (very same movie or TV Series) audio is PCM Stereo

I am using a Linke1000 router. Do I need a different router to get Surround out of this Amazon Fire????

You need to go into Settings > System and set the video and audio sections. I set my video to 1080p/60 with no scan instead of Auto with no scan. The Audio I set Dolby Digital Plus to Optical being I use the optical connection to my receiver. Or you can set it to Dolby Digital Plus to HDMI. Unfortunately the defaults for the video and audio on the Fire TV need to be changed for most video and audio set ups.
post #107 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:

I'm leaning towards one of these in hopes that stuff like HBO GO and others will be there soon.

It's inconceivable that it doesn't get HBO go soon.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #108 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 669

1. Can it do 3D (if any service offers it)?

2. Apparently it doesn't have IR, so phones with IR-blasters on them can't control it, but is there a phone app that can control it via wifi?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #109 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Thank you, I didn't see the Audio setting in system because you need to scroll down. All fixed Dolby is fine now on Fire TV.
post #110 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd777 View Post

Thank you, I didn't see the Audio setting in system because you need to scroll down. All fixed Dolby is fine now on Fire TV.

Yeah a lot of people miss the video and audio settings.
post #111 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM

I have a Gigabyte Brix in with 8th of ram that I use for Xbmc, and play my MAME collection on. I just picked up Fire TV, and it's much faster than my roku 3, or Apple tv. As far as ouya a goes, it's a p.o.s! That's why they are going to make the software available on other platforms!
post #112 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Of course many of the third party apps are really old Google TV apps that are using old code. Overtime they should update them for the Fire TV with the Netflix app needing a optimized version it is 2+ year old code.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #113 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Unfortunately, you need more than the device to get HBO GO.  For example, Comcast does not allow it on Roku, althought it is available if you hae some other cable companies..

post #114 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardk View Post

Unfortunately, you need more than the device to get HBO GO.  For example, Comcast does not allow it on Roku, althought it is available if you hae some other cable companies..

From what I understand, the problem is that you need to authenticate the device and provide the account information from your cable/satellite TV provider for the app to work on said device, and Comcast is refusing to verify your subscription to HBO (for the purposes of authenticating the device) if the device is a Roku, Playstation 3, etc..  They offer up some BS excuse of not having enough employees to verify this information.

The good news is that Comcast isn't and can't legally block HBO GO traffic on their network, so you can still get HBO GO to work with these devices even if you use Comcast as your ISP, so long as you are subscribed to HBO with a different cable/satellite provider.  Unfortunately, this rules out bundling your internet and TV if you live in an area where Comcast is the only cable internet/TV provider.  The unintended side-effect of this is that people are sharing account information from cable/satellite providers other than Comcast in order to help their friends/family who live in Comcast-controlled areas get access on their devices.  Customers figure that they are paying for the content, so they should be able to use it the same way as someone else who is paying the same amount for the same content, just from a different provider.

Where this could hurt Comcast and even HBO is that once you start encouraging people to break the rules for legitimate reasons, it doesn't seem that big of a deal to break the rules for illegitimate reasons (i.e. people who don't pay for HBO getting the account info from folks who do).  IMO, Comcast needs to get with the program and start allowing authorization of these devices for their customers.  Eventually, some other company is going to give these folks a choice (whether that be another cable company, a fiber optic company, or a satellite company).  And, if they keep screwing their customers, people won't hesitate to jump to another provider at the first opportunity.

/rant off

P.S.  A lot of people would actually prefer that HBO stop requiring you to have an HBO subscription from a cable/satellite TV provider to use HBO GO and just directly charge you a small monthly rate for the service in order to cut out the middle man.

post #115 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

P.S.  A lot of people would actually prefer that HBO stop requiring you to have an HBO subscription from a cable/satellite TV provider to use HBO GO and just directly charge you a small monthly rate for the service in order to cut out the middle man.

None of this would ever work: net neutrality died in court in the US.  An ISP can prevent nearly anything it wants to.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #116 of 132 Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

None of this would ever work: net neutrality died in court in the US.  An ISP can prevent nearly anything it wants to.

Depends on who your ISP is, and what market you're in, unfortunately.
post #117 of 132 Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardk View Post

Yeah, I have HBO and Cox does authenticate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

That would be great but I'm sure cable and satellite providers are working hard to keep HBO from doing that. That would be a killer for them. I just had another cable price increase and after I call to complain (I thought I had a two year price lock on), if I'm not satisfied with their solution I'm looking towards DISH or DTV. I believe they both allot authentication for HBO GO as well.

post #118 of 132 Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
How does this compare with watching video on my kindle fire hdx via netgear push2tv as well as watching on my ps3? I find the quality of the kindle video to be more inferior to bluray and cable dvr.
post #119 of 132 Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I'm stuck with an early generation Roku (the XD|S) due to their dropping of the optical output on newer models, since I use a pre-HDMI AVR that is also pre DD+. (Unless someone knows of an HDMI --> optical DD converter that includes an HDMI passthrough I can run to my projector.)

See this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

post #120 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32

I followed that link, and even read the user manual available on that page, and while that would allow me to make an optical connection to my old Yamaha 5.1 AVR while sending the Roku's video on to my projector, there's notihing in there about converting the audio encoding used to Dolby Digital. (To play disks I use my Oppo's analog output, set to downmix 7.1 to 5.1.)

Since my AVR does not know Dolby Digital Plus, just Dolby Digital, and both Amazon and Netflix use DD+ on their 1080 streams, I'd still be out of luck. Apparently, the advantage of DD+ is that it enables greater compression, mitigating the increased bandwidth used by 1080 over 720.

I did some checking on line: DD+ is not natively playable by DD deciders - it needs to be converted.

Roku apparently dropped the optical jack because it didn't want to pay licensing fees to Dolby in order include conversion - it just passes through whatever signal it gets.

If Monoprice had ponied up for the license fees to do the conversion, you can bet that would be a headline feature of the box - it's not even mentioned in the manual

Eventually, I'll get a receiver that handles DD+, which will most likely also have HDMI inputs, rendering this device unnecessary!

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page