Ready for Prime Time: Amazon Fire TV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven’t tried it yet but I believe that the FireTV will convert DD+ into plain DD and output it via TOSLINK. In the settings menu there is a setting Dolby Digital over Optical. It also mentions that with this setting stereo audio is sent out via HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If it's only sending stereo over HDMI with that setting, the DD will also be stereo. (DD is fully-capable of stereo - that's what gets sent out if you use the TuneIn Roku channel.)

The only reason I haven't upgraded to a newer Roku for 1080 Amazon is I need the optical from my Roku XD|S to get discrete surround - if I was going to settle for a stereo output, I could use any Roku's stereo output jack.

post #123 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

In the settings menu there is a setting Dolby Digital over Optical. It also mentions that with this setting stereo audio is sent out via HDMI.
I see settings for the optical and for the hdmi outputs, each of which has stereo as default, but can be set to Dolby Digital Plus. Both can be set to DD+.[CANCEL! Apparently both cannot.] (I have mine set that way, but as yet I haven't actually observed anything but stereo outputs.) Dolby claims about DD+, "It’s fully compatible with existing A/V entertainment systems and has the flexibility to adapt to any bandwidth delivery requirements."* So I'm hoping that my receiver will see the DD+ in its hdmi input as DD.

*http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus.html

Greg Lee
post #124 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I see settings for the optical and for the hdmi outputs, each of which has stereo as default, but can be set to Dolby Digital Plus. Both can be set to DD+. (I have mine set that way, but as yet I haven't actually observed anything but stereo outputs.) Dolby claims about DD+, "It’s fully compatible with existing A/V entertainment systems and has the flexibility to adapt to any bandwidth delivery requirements."* So I'm hoping that my receiver will see the DD+ in its hdmi input as DD.

*http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus.html

Googlle "Dolby Digital Plus backwards compatible" and you'll see all the articles saying it's not. There's a Doby Labs piece that is careful to say that DD+ can be converted to DD, not that DD decoders can play it.

You'll find that your AVR will not be able to understand DD+. You'll get simple stereo at best. - if that.

post #125 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

You'll find that your AVR will not be able to understand DD+. You'll get simple stereo at best. - if that.
Not so. I'm right now watching "The Station Agent" (under Movies -> Recent additions to Prime), and my Pioneer AVR says it is receiving DD 5.1. The AVR input is from AFT's hdmi output, which is set to DD+ in the Settings menu.

What I said above about setting both optical and hdmi to DD+ is incorrect. Apparently you can only set one of them to DD+. (That is not good for me -- I need both to be DD+.)

Greg Lee
post #126 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Not so. I'm right now watching "The Station Agent" (under Movies -> Recent additions to Prime), and my Pioneer AVR says it is receiving DD 5.1. The AVR input is from AFT's hdmi output, which is set to DD+ in the Settings menu.

What I said above about setting both optical and hdmi to DD+ is incorrect. Apparently you can only set one of them to DD+. (That is not good for me -- I need both to be DD+.)

Would you please do an experiment for me? Set the optical output to DD+, set HDMI to stereo, and see if your AVR can play DD 5.1 from the DD+ stream on the optical linki!

I eagerly await the result!

post #127 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you please do an experiment for me? Set the optical output to DD+, set HDMI to stereo, and see if your AVR can play DD 5.1 from the DD+ stream on the optical linki!
I didn't do exactly this, because I don't like to plug/unplug cables, but I did something similar, which leads to the conclusion that DD+ on optical is also well behaved. I have the AFTV hdmi out connected to my AVR, as mentioned, and the optical out connected to surround headphones. The headphones have a base unit with indicator lights showing whether it is getting DD on its optical input. Watching the same movie as before, I changed the AFTV audio setting to DD+ on optical (and stereo on hdmi), and the AVR display showed that it was now receiving stereo, and the headphones display showed it was now receiving DD. Then I changed the AFTV audio setting back to DD+ on hdmi (and stereo on optical). The displays now showed what they should: DD 5.1 on the AVR and the headphones display showed it was no longer receiving DD.

I did as you suggested and googled to find discussions of DD+ downward compatibility. I gather it's complicated. I don't know that the AFTV is actually sending DD+ to my devices, and anyhow, they are relatively recent models, so they may have DD+ decoders.

Greg Lee
post #128 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I followed that link, and even read the user manual available on that page, and while that would allow me to make an optical connection to my old Yamaha 5.1 AVR while sending the Roku's video on to my projector, there's notihing in there about converting the audio encoding used to Dolby Digital. (To play disks I use my Oppo's analog output, set to downmix 7.1 to 5.1.)

Since my AVR does not know Dolby Digital Plus, just Dolby Digital, and both Amazon and Netflix use DD+ on their 1080 streams, I'd still be out of luck. Apparently, the advantage of DD+ is that it enables greater compression, mitigating the increased bandwidth used by 1080 over 720.

I did some checking on line: DD+ is not natively playable by DD deciders - it needs to be converted.

Roku apparently dropped the optical jack because it didn't want to pay licensing fees to Dolby in order include conversion - it just passes through whatever signal it gets.

If Monoprice had ponied up for the license fees to do the conversion, you can bet that would be a headline feature of the box - it's not even mentioned in the manual

Eventually, I'll get a receiver that handles DD+, which will most likely also have HDMI inputs, rendering this device unnecessary!

That's a tough situation. I helped a co-worker set up his TV, and he ended up with a similar situation, as his TV was really ornery about what it would output over optical- surround sound seemed to be beyond the capabilities of this thing- so we had to do direct optical to the AVR. Luckily in his case, all he had was a cable DVR and an XBOX ONE, both of which have optical.

Can the Oppo suck in HDMI video for processing, and spit out optical audio in the process?
post #129 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

BiggAW: It's possible that the 103/105 series of Oppos can, but I have the 93, which doesn't have an HDMI input.

GregLee: Without knowing whether you surround headset's base unit knows DD+ and whether the Kindle Fire can downconvert to DD, I guess I'm still in the dark! But thanks.

post #130 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And what’s really exciting is that Dolby Digital Plus is completely backwards-compatible with Dolby Digital. So older AV receivers can still get 5.1 surround from an encoded Dolby Digital Plus streaming source, provided it gets the audio via its digital coax or digital optical input. For modern AV receivers and televisions, anything with HDMI 1.3 or higher connections will decode Dolby Digital Plus just fine.
from What is Dolby Digital Plus?

Greg Lee
post #131 of 132 Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

GregLee: Without knowing whether you surround headset's base unit knows DD+ and whether the Kindle Fire can downconvert to DD, I guess I'm still in the dark! But thanks.

DD+ doesn't run on S/PDIF, neither coax nor optical, not even S/PDIF over HDMI (e.g. HDMI-ARC).

post #132 of 132 Old 05-04-2014, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
I can confirm that AFTV output plain Dolby Digital (5.1) over optical (toslink) output. The HDMI will be stereo in this mode.

You cannot make DD over HDMI with this box....only from optical.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page