Ready for Prime Time: Amazon Fire TV - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSwan View Post
. . .

It would be very helpful if you could make another test with your RX-V457 AVR. Please verify that the AVR is not post-processing the optical input from stereo to multi-channel, and is in fact getting 5.1 DD delivered from the Fire TV with the appropriate system settings (as you detailed).

. . .

If the optical out from your Fire to old receiver is DD 5.1, I'm still bewildered, because this is not what I'm seeing from my setups, with the exception of my Pioneer VSX-519V direct to Fire TV optical (system set = choice #4 , DD over Optical).

Again, I am questioning that the Fire TV is capable of converting DD+ to DD, but will deliver this (as passthrough) under certain configurations.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response!

LoneSwan
I keep the RX-V457 input that's associated with the optical input fed by the Fire TV set to Surround Enhanced, DTS Neo:6 Music (the sound of which I prefer to Dolby ProLogic).

When the RX-V457 is getting stereo on that input, its display says "Neo:6 Music."

However, when it's getting DD 5.1, the presence of that codec overrides my selection of matrix decoder (because it's unnecessary when there's discrete 5.1 present), and the RX-V457's display automatically changes to say "Dolby Digital" and displays a grid of speaker icons in the front left, center, front right, and the left and right surround positions, with a sixth icon for the subwoofer.

This graphical representation of the 5.1 channels does not appear at any other time. No "soundfield" program shows it - it only appears in the presence of discrete 5.1 source material.

When the program coming in from the FireTV stops being in 5.1 and is stereo again, the graphical 5.1 image on the
AVR's display turns off and it reverts to simply saying "Neo:6 Music."

I don't think there's any ambiguity there about what's going on.

If your Pioneer VSX-519V is detecting and decoding DD 5.1 coming in on the optical cable, that would seem to be clear evidence that your FireTV is putting it out as well.

Incidentally, this is the second FireTV that I've had - I returned the first one in frustration over getting the 1080p icon to display. This one behaves exactly the same in all respects - I solved the 1080p problem by relocating my cablemodem from by my PC upstairs to the room with the Fire and using my MOCA link (over coax) between the two locations to instead provide internet to my PC upstairs, since top speed is less necessary to the PC than the Fire.

PS For a while, I thought that setting the Fire to output DD rather than DD+ might have been why I couldn't get 1080p, since I had always been restricted to 720 through my old Roku with DD optical output.

The video resolution and audio codec turned out to be independent variables with the FireTV. Once I let the FireTV "drink from the firehose" of my cable modem, giving it a direct ethernet connection, I was able to have it output DD 5.1 and see 1080p at the same time. I'm contemplating getting an HDMI-capable AVR to be able to improve my audio from Amazon by being able to get DD+, contrary to your assumption that it's worse than DD. My hope is that it will sound closer to DVD-era DTS, having a top bandwidth in the same region.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-25-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement