HBO and Amazon Strike Prime Deal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278

HBO's catalog of hit shows is coming to Amazon Prime on May 21, 2014. The recently announced deal brings The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Band of Brothers, True Blood, and other popular shows to Amazon's streaming video service. According to the terms of the deal, if a show is already off the air, all episodes will be available to stream through Prime. For currently airing shows, there is a three-year wait before episodes become available.

Notably, the announcement made no mention of the hit series Game of Thrones, which is now in its fourth season. If you want to watch HBO's latest shows, HBO Go remains the only source for streaming that content, and for that you'll need a HBO subscription or a borrowed password.

Classic HBO shows like The Sopranos will stream on Amazon Prime starting May 21, 2014

Quote:
"Amazon and HBO announced Wednesday morning that they have entered into a multi-year content licensing agreement that will make Amazon Prime Instant Video the online-only subscription home for HBO scripted shows like Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, The Wire, and many more. The two companies said that previous seasons of current HBO titles — like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep — will become available over the course of the multi-year agreement, approximately three years after airing on HBO."  Read more at Forbes.com

Amazon recently raised the annual cost of a Prime membership from $79 to $99/year; does this new deal with HBO help justify the $20 increase? I know I'm going to take advantage of the new streaming HBO content; I missed most of those shows when they first aired—mostly because I cut the cable-TV cord over a decade ago. 

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223

What is the reason for not including shows that are currently airing?  Does this not require a subscription to HBO?  If it does, then this severely cripples Amazon's implementation since you can get current shows on other devices using HBO Go.

post #3 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

What is the reason for not including shows that are not currently airing?  Does this not require a subscription to HBO?  If it does, then this severely cripples Amazon's implementation since you can get current shows on other devices using HBO Go.

You do not need an HBO subscription to watch the shows that are not airing and older (3 years or older) episodes of currently-airing shows using Amazon Prime.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

You do not need an HBO subscription to watch the shows that are not airing and older (3 years or older) episodes of currently-airing shows using Amazon Prime.

In that case, I think the acquisition of more content is great.  I jumped to the wrong conclusion when I first read the post and assumed that this was the awaited arrival of HBO Go on Amazon Fire TV.  Obviously, this is a completely separate topic.

post #5 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Having years-old shows available is already the norm with every other studio.

This is news is only because HBO has historically tried to prevent as many people as possible from seeing their shows.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Having years-old shows available is already the norm with any studio other than HBO.

The fact that this is news is only because HBO has historically tried to prevent as many people as possible from seeing their shows.
Which really sucks because so many of their tv shows are fantastic. Deadwood is probably my favorite TV series of all time. This does me no good as far as that goes since I have the whole series on BD. The other series are great too (namely Boardwalk & Thrones) but the real gems for me are the mini series. Everyone knows about the Pacific & BoB. John Adams is excellent too. I think HBO tries to squeeze every dollar out of their shows as they can because they're initially only available to a select few. Movie quality production values is why HBO is so expensive to watch.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #7 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

Which really sucks because so many of their tv shows are fantastic. Deadwood is probably my favorite TV series of all time. This does me no good as far as that goes since I have the whole series on BD. The other series are great too (namely Boardwalk & Thrones) but the real gems for me are the mini series. Everyone knows about the Pacific & BoB. John Adams is excellent too. I think HBO tries to squeeze every dollar out of their shows as they can because they're initially only available to a select few. Movie quality production values is why HBO is so expensive to watch.

You have to pay to play. Their shows are incredible. I love Silicon Valley. HBO is more and more worth it every time they add great new shows.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Is/has the Wire on HBO???? Never seen it , but heard awesome things about it..

I think this is great.

Djoel

post #9 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Is/has the Wire on HBO???? Never seen it , but heard awesome things about it..

I think this is great.

Djoel

I believe The Wire is still available on HBO Go and soon should be available on Amazon Prime as it is over 3 years old (I think that's the agreement). And yes, The Wire is fantastic. In fact, one of the main characters in The Wire is a main character in Game of Thrones.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62

That's a good deal I suppose.  What's the best way to stream Amazon Instant Video when your primary device is a HTPC connected to an AVR?  The browser leaves me dissatisfied due to the lack of 1080p and DD+.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #11 of 22 Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Hey, HBO!!!! How about a deal where you release the rest of The Sopranos on Blu-ray!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #12 of 22 Old 04-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
this is wonderful! between netflix and its original content and disney deal and amazon prime with hbo i am set! i have not had cable in about 10 years - i was a cutter before there were cutters :-) and even if when i did have cable i never subscribed to prem channels. i checked rome out from the library and loved it - saw half of season one of deadwood but they did not have the rest and would love to see this in its entirety - i do have got seasons 1 and 2 on bd but that is only because i am a fan of the books - so this is great news!!!

post #13 of 22 Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

this is wonderful! between netflix and its original content and disney deal and amazon prime with hbo i am set! i have not had cable in about 10 years - i was a cutter before there were cutters :-) and even if when i did have cable i never subscribed to prem channels. i checked rome out from the library and loved it - saw half of season one of deadwood but they did not have the rest and would love to see this in its entirety - i do have got seasons 1 and 2 on bd but that is only because i am a fan of the books - so this is great news!!!

As for Deadwood, there was no "entirety." HBO nixed it without allowing for a conclusion.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #14 of 22 Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 PM

That is a.bummer ....just make one final show to conclude it as best.u can.

post #15 of 22 Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 PM

I hope they add fragle rock

post #16 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

As for Deadwood, there was no "entirety." HBO nixed it without allowing for a conclusion.

That's because Deadwood was at best mediocre, and they really stretched the crap out of their predictable plots.  And the characters were conveyor-belt simplistic.  I remember trying to stay with Deadwood hoping that they'd rise to the level of the Sopranos and gave up.

The mini series about John Adams was wonderful.

The Sopranos, except for

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!! (Click to show)
the beyond stupid ending

was excellent and set the bar for all future pay TV series.

Game of Thrones has its moments but becomes tiresome to me quickly.  They've overplayed the nitty gritty a little too much and made an entire swath of characters I couldn't care less about.

True Blood started off fantastic in every conceivable way in the first season and then the stretchmarks started showing.  I told my wife about certain things they added and she was laughing because they weren't in the Sookie Stackhouse stories (books).  They've literally ran out of weird @#$% to add.

SPOILER!!!! (Click to show)
Erik dying accidentally by sunning himself in the antarctic?  LOL!

There was a reviewer once who referred to Boardwalk as Boredwalk.  Good name for it, and I agree.

Hung had its moments.

Big Love used to keep my interest, but mostly morbidly, because I couldn't figure out where the heck they could go with it.

I found Rome really worth it.  Pullo is one of my favorite characters of all time.  Only a handful of historical problems that didn't interfere with the show.

Sorta Spoiler (Click to show)
Like having Caesar sauntering along on a horse at the FRONT of a line of soldiers.  {chuckle}

But none of it hurt the story line at all.

I don't know how to describe Six Feet Under precisely, other than I'm glad I saw it, but am not compelled to see any of it again.

Oz, tedious and boring and the writers took themselves way too seriously.  Watching it I was fantasizing about someone inventing an electric bench and executing those worthless characters 5 at a time.

Larry Sanders show was actually worth it.  Rip Torn had a great roll.

jhughy2010 likes this.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
They were trying to finish Deadwood in a 2 hour movie or so, but it took too long to figure out and they ended up tearing down the set. I don't agree that the show was mediocre though - Swearengen is one of the greatest characters in all of HBO's shows.

Then there's Eastbound and Down which was an instant classic. Hello Ladies was great too.

True Detective - nothing short of amazing.

Real Time with Bill Maher - must have.

Bored To Death is quirky and inventive

And of course, Flight Of The Conchords. Hysterical.

Big Love

The Pacific

Hopefully these are all available as well.

Boom
post #18 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This will be a nice end around for me to watch old HBO stuff from my PS3. My cable company won't let me watch HBOGO from the PS3 for some reason. I can watch it on my tablet but if I stream it to my TV the audio is downgraded. There are a few old series that I never watched that I want to catch up on.

PSN brakel

post #19 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

This will be a nice end around for me to watch old HBO stuff from my PS3. My cable company won't let me watch HBOGO from the PS3 for some reason. I can watch it on my tablet but if I stream it to my TV the audio is downgraded. There are a few old series that I never watched that I want to catch up on.

Isn't having an awesome series and a long cue of episodes waiting for you to watch SUCH a better feeling that waiting for yet another week to pass for just ----> 1 <---- freaking episode?  I was so psyched that I managed to get the first 1 1/2 seasons of Homeland all at once.  MAN!  What an experience that series was in the beginning!

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Watching weekly releases facilitates those nice social queues that allow you to discuss the new episode every Monday morning with friends/co-workers

On the contrary, with others like Netflix releasing all episodes at once, I've already watched the whole season but I can't talk to anyone about it because they're all still behind.

Boom
post #21 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

Watching weekly releases facilitates those nice social queues that allow you to discuss the new episode every Monday morning with friends/co-workers

On the contrary, with others like Netflix releasing all episodes at once, I've already watched the whole season but I can't talk to anyone about it because they're all still behind.

Usually, by the time it's on Netflix, everyone else already saw it months or years before you and have no interest in talking about it anymore.  In any case, the result is the same.  Netflix isn't really for watching shows so that you can talk about them the next day.  It's for binge watching of things that aren't currently airing on TV.

post #22 of 22 Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM

I'm talking about House of Cards, etc, where it's a new season and they just drop all the episodes at once. Fantastic for people who never stop watching TV, but terrible for people who have dedicated TV nights.

I've already finished the entire 2nd season, but no one else has found the time yet. Guess what, can't talk to ANYONE about House Of Cards right now frown.gif

But we can blow up Game Of Thrones every Monday morning!
StinDaWg likes this.

Boom
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page