4Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 07-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Sad to see the depths to which Sony has descended? How low can they go? How do these comments fit in with this topic? I thought this topic was about Sony's new Core Series speakers but I guess I was wrong. So here we go again.
$250 "high end" speakers? Come on. Sony couldn't make good speakers 30 years ago. It's a shame to see them try to flog a concept so ephemeral.

I think that high-res audio -- particularly lossless audio -- can sound fantastic, but not with the crappy speakers they're pushing as part of the system. I also think $2000 for a 1TB music server is kind of insane. Sony's management is scattered, confused, and overwhelmed with trying to figure out a way to survive. Products like this are not going to help them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
$250 "high end" speakers? Come on. Sony couldn't make good speakers 30 years ago. It's a shame to see them try to flog a concept so ephemeral.

I think that high-res audio -- particularly lossless audio -- can sound fantastic, but not with the crappy speakers they're pushing as part of the system. I also think $2000 for a 1TB music server is kind of insane. Sony's management is scattered, confused, and overwhelmed with trying to figure out a way to survive. Products like this are not going to help them.
These speakers aren't intended to be high end. They are intended to be entry level speakers capable of outputting high resolution audio. Hi-res =/= high end. Hi-res =/= lossless. And lossless =/= high end. The three terms mean three different things. Hi-res simply means that they can actually reproduce frequencies well above 24khz. Most high end speakers to date can't do that. Does that make these speakers better than a more expensive speaker, built with better materials and more exacting quality standards? No. Excellent sound quality in the audible range is obviously more critical than the ability to reproduce frequencies that we cannot hear (but might somehow "feel").

If you want something a little higher quality that can do hi-res audio, Sony also sells these bookshelf speakers,
http://store.sony.com/hi-res-audio-s...lorCode=000000

Not good enough? While not specifically advertised as such (since they predate this recent hi-res kick in which the industry currently finds itself), both the ES and AR series of speakers from Sony are capable of reproducing hi-res audio...
http://discover.store.sony.com/ES/es-speakers/
post #33 of 39 Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Steve Guttenberg over at the audiophiliac blog on cnet has written up his initial views prior to his review of Sony's new Core SS-CS5 bookshelf pair here http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-new-af...ries-speakers/.

post #34 of 39 Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Sorry to disagree with you but Sony does make good speakers and I have 2 Sony tower speakers that sound just as good as your high end speakers! They pump out window rattling sound that I am very impressed with. I don't hear a lot of complaints with Sony's speakers on the net either. And the last time I checked Sony is finally starting to turn things around and are starting to make money again.
post #35 of 39 Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
Steve Guttenberg over at the audiophiliac blog on cnet has written up his initial views prior to his review of Sony's new Core SS-CS5 bookshelf pair here http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-new-af...ies-speakers/.
Seems like a pretty good review to me.
post #36 of 39 Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
And the last time I checked Sony is finally starting to turn things around and are starting to make money again.
Sony has posted its financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, revealing a billion-dollar overall loss despite rising sales.

The company announced an overall loss of $1.29 billion, despite sales rising 14.3 percent to $75.4 billion. The reasons for this, as we've heard before, include aggressive restructuring with the PC business being sold off and the TV business getting spun out. Despite Sony offices around the world being sold, along with shares in companies like Square Enix, the Japanese giant has been unable to mitigate the losses.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...-more-expected
post #37 of 39 Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sony has posted its financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, revealing a billion-dollar overall loss despite rising sales.

The company announced an overall loss of $1.29 billion, despite sales rising 14.3 percent to $75.4 billion. The reasons for this, as we've heard before, include aggressive restructuring with the PC business being sold off and the TV business getting spun out. Despite Sony offices around the world being sold, along with shares in companies like Square Enix, the Japanese giant has been unable to mitigate the losses.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...-more-expected

I'll ask again Marc. What does this have anything to do with their speakers?
post #38 of 39 Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I'll ask again Marc. What does this have anything to do with their speakers?
Their speakers are an afterthought at best to a failing corporation whose core business -- TV sets, video games, and entertainment -- are not doing well. Sony has never made good speakers in their entire history, in my opinion, and I don't think $250 speakers that claim to handle high res 96kHz or 192kHz audio are anything but hype.

Don't get me wrong. Sony's speakers are no worse than 100 other manufacturers like Sharp and Panasonic and LG and Funai and god knows who else. But it's an infinitesimally tiny part of their business that they really don't care about. It's done just to take up a little more space on their dealers' shelves. As far as Sony is concerned, it could be a toaster.

There are mass-market brands that actually make decent $250 speakers, and I don't have a problem with companies that go the extra mile like Pioneer, NHT, even old stalwarts like JBL and Paradigm. (I'm not a big Polk guy, but they're not terrible.) I think Sony's entire emphasis on high-res audio strikes me as desperation, and I don't think it's going to last. They've dabbled with several weird businesses like this and they've flopped big-time. The fact that they were willing to get rid of their entire Vaio PC division recently shows you what terrible trouble Sony is in -- and the Vaios actually weren't bad machines at all.

In cases like this, the term "High Resolution" is just a sales phrase they're throwing around. It's kind of like the '80s, when companies started plastering "Digital" on everything they made, just to hang on to the huge CD wave. It's just hype and silliness, and I don't buy into it.
post #39 of 39 Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegsav View Post
THE PIONEER ANDREW JONES BS-22LR BOOKSHELFS

I guess it was my incessant preoccupation and all the positive reviews thats drew me straight to the Andrew Jones BS-22LR when the re-engineered models hit the floors last year.A really listenable pair for $120 retail? I had to give these a listen!. I suppose this was the price point that Pioneer was looking for to compete with other inexpensive loudspeakers. I liked how the tapered sides and smooth black wood grain cabinet finish looked so when I fired them up at home I was pleasantly surprised. The sound wasn't bad at all compared to some of the other Best Buy cheap bookshelf speaker offerings that tend to play loud with a hot upper-band that rock and pop fans love. I’ve always liked the kind of sound that didn’t make my ears ache for hours on end. On the contrary the AJ’s had an inviting, subdued response that the Klipsch Icons and Polk TSx's didn’t have which were purposefully voiced for rock and pop music. The BS-22's on the other hand have a richer, warmer sound that's easy to listen to for hours on end that drew me to them which is probably why they're selling so well to budget-minded buyers who want something a little more neutral-sounding. The problem with a product selling for $130 a pair is that as of now they're simply not going to outperform a $350 - $500 pair of speaks and this is where the Pioneers show their limitations and while the treble was not overdone and pleasant I also found it a little difficult to localize instruments and vocals in the soundstage, something I definitely want to hear happen.

THE SONY CORE SERIES SS-CS5 BOOKSHELFS

The new Sony Core Series SS-CS5 bookshelfs look a lot like the sb-1000's except that they have a plain matte finish. More attention was given to the cabinets than the sb-1000's in that the cabinetry is better. Give 'em a good rap and they seem pretty solid for a $220 pair of speakers. They also sport a set of binding posts. Taking the covers off the baffle is nicely designed. Not only do they look very striking, the driver complement includes a 5 inch woofer with a tweeter and supertweeter right above it. They actually sound pretty good with a non-fatiguing but a very present treble and so I would have to say that they have a brighter treble than the Pioneers. The mids on these Sony's midrange I found to be a bit more resolving of detail. They like the Pioneer AJ's are both decent speakers that I find enjoyable to listen to. Are the new Sonys worth an extra hundred bucks? I'd say yes but both have a lot going for them. Each pair is over 13 in tall and will fit nicely on stands or on a shelf.

Give both of these little wonders a listen. I think you’ll find that your money will buy you a lot these days no matter how much you want to spend. The Sonys and Pioneers also fill out the line with matching floorstanders, center channels and subwoofers…and if you’re doing a home theater believe me, you’ll need to buy a sub if you want low-frequency effects With music a sub will add substantial bass to your music so just set your receiver’s front left and right speaker outputs to the ‘small’ setting. That will pass on the lower tones to the sub. Oh, just to let you know...the only store that’s selling the Sony Core systems is Best Buy, just to save you time trying to hunt down the Sonys somewhere else. Some choice, huh? I'm wondering now if Yamaha is planning to up the ante and come up with a comparable 5.1 channel offering!
I have listened to the Sony Core vs. the AJ Pioneers twice in Best Buy now. I have to say there is little difference in the towers to my ears. Making the Pioneer 52's a real bargain (especially when you catch them on sale). There is however a noticeable difference in the bookshelf speakers between the two. I feel the Sony sounds better.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page