Sony Core Series High-Resolution Speakers - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 116 Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 220
These are getting quite good reviews, and indeed I bet they are worthy speakers, especially if one can get them on sale.
triumphrider74 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Sony IEMs and headphones are pretty darn good.
post #63 of 116 Old 06-25-2015, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I like Sony for there HDTV's, UHD TV's and 1080p blu-ray players but for anything else I think it is a crap shoot. For me I wouldn't use Sony speakers in my home theater! I also wouldn't use there receivers although I am not saying never. I live the new clean look of a number of there receivers but for me they just do not offer enough in the higher end models and I am not crazy about there amplifier sections and for there top models I would love to see XLR outs. And I am not a fan of there surround modes on there receivers. But I now digress, rofl I have yet to hear a set of Sony speakers I am impressed with. I would rather purchase Klipsch or B&W or a number of other brands. IMHO Sony needs to get back to building good audio gear and shrink down there overall product offerings.
You may want to check these out then. I have not heard them myself but they seem to be pretty impressive, and are definitely a statement at $27K/pr:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...r1-loudspeaker

They also have a sublime looking (and probably sounding, too) class A integrated amplifier that looks like a superb piece of gear:

http://store.sony.com/hi-res-integra...-All-Res-Audio

desktop + headphone Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T Zero|Sony UDA-1|Sony MDR-Z7|Sony MDR-1000X|Audioquest NightHawk|Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10|Sony NW-A35
ht Sony A1E 65" OLED|Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Sony UBP-X1000ES|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT|Panamax M-5100PM
stereo Sonus faber Olympica II|REL S/5|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony 43" X800D|Sony UBP-X800|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi

post #64 of 116 Old 07-31-2015, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone have these yet? They are getting a lot of good online reviews. Many people are saying these are equivalent if not slightly better than the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. They certainly look better than the Pioneers, that's for sure. I'm interested in hearing a hands on review from people who are audio savvy and use them in day to day use.
post #65 of 116 Old 07-31-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have them and the are perfect for my needs. IMHO, they are the absolute best bang for your buck in an entry speaker. They are very balanced and able to handle decent power. I would highly recommend them. Let me know what questions you have and I'll try to give you an answer.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
post #66 of 116 Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm989 View Post
Anyone have these yet? They are getting a lot of good online reviews. Many people are saying these are equivalent if not slightly better than the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. They certainly look better than the Pioneers, that's for sure. I'm interested in hearing a hands on review from people who are audio savvy and use them in day to day use.

I would bet they are significantly better than the Andrew Jones Pioneers. Not that I'm saying the AJs are not good for the money. Just that these Sonys are significant step up from those, but they also cost quite a bit more, though if you get them on sale not too much more.

Even professional reviewers who routinely review much more expensive speakers, are giving them high praise.
post #67 of 116 Old 08-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I would bet they are significantly better than the Andrew Jones Pioneers. Not that I'm saying the AJs are not good for the money. Just that these Sonys are significant step up from those, but they also cost quite a bit more, though if you get them on sale not too much more.

Even professional reviewers who routinely review much more expensive speakers, are giving them high praise.

They are on sale right now for $154.00 each. Those towers with the sub, center, and the bookshelves comes in around $900.00. Pretty good, me thinks.
post #68 of 116 Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
yeah, definitely thinking of upgrading to these. I'm just not sure how soon that is going to be.

The sub still looks sub-par to me. Has anyone heard the sub yet, or should budget builds stick to the usual BIC/Klipsch/Polk/Energy/Dayton suggestions?

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #69 of 116 Old 08-04-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Could you please provide links to these pro reviews cuz I can't find them.

Thanks!
post #70 of 116 Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
Could you please provide links to these pro reviews cuz I can't find them.

Thanks!

http://hometheaterreview.com/sony-ss...aker-reviewed/

The only one I can find for now.

post #71 of 116 Old 12-26-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Hey, I have had to go into my local Best Buy lately and I have taken some time to look around the home audio areas. That being said, I have listened to the Andrew Jones towers, bookshelves, and etc. Likewise, I have also listened to the Sony Core tower, bookshelf, center, and etc. There were some Klipsch towers/bookshelves there as well. In the past, I have NOT cared for Klipsch speakers at all. Just too forward and way to bright for my tastes. My local BB does NOT have a Mongolia Theater room for demo purposes. These were out on the main floor which is NOT an ideal setting for comparing speakers critically. However, I was able to give them a go so to speak. I have heard the AJ towers/bookshelves in a treated home theater room of all places at BB. For some reason, the demo speakers have been moved to the main floor.....go figure right? The AJ towers sounded very veiled and constrained. The AJ bookshelves sounded even more so. The soundstage for either was not impressive. Of course, the Klipsch towers with (2) 6 1/2" and (2) 8" woofers respectively speaking were more aggressive and louder albeit forward sounding. Just like I remembered them to be. There were a low level Polk bookshelf and Bose ??? for comparative purposes as well. The Sony Core towers were placed directly next to the AJ towers. Right off the bat I really liked the sound difference. That is, the Sony Core towers had a larger soundstage, noticeable better bass extension that was to my surprise much tighter and balanced. No hint of strain whatsoever. For some reason or another, the Sony Core towers drew me in much more and only realized later they grew on me as well. There also was much more detail in the presentation if you will. Carlos Santana actually sounded really good! So, I then decide to take a listen to the bookshelves there. The AJ sounded very boxy, constrained and even more veiled than the AJ tower. The soundstage was rather limited. The Bose and the Polk were meh-just that. The Sony Core bookshelf was much more engaging and refined. Imaging was must better than the others. I did find that, the Klipsch 5 1/4" bookshelf sounded really good. Maybe even better than the Sony Core? It seems Klipsch has really improved their bookshelves since I last heard them. Of course, they also go for $250 a set. But, the Sony Core bookshelf was very good as well. The sad part is, I was NOT able to listen to the respective center channels at all. The Sony Core center is my concern in that it uses 4" drivers? There is no "super-tweeter" either. Seems kind of weird to me. The good thing is my living room is NOT very big as I live in a small apartment. The speakers I liked the most from my demo were easily the Sony Core towers. It has left me wanting to hear them again. I am like really Sony? Yes, I sure do! In fact, I am going real soon and listen to the center channel more closely. There is a very good chance I may come home with the Sony Core towers, center, and bookshelves. Been out of the game too long. Time to get my feet wet again. Perhaps the smaller Sony Core center will suffice. Not looking to spend a whole lot of money. Just looking for good sound on the cheap. From what I have heard thus far, the Sony Core Towers are the way to go!

Cheers,

Phil
post #72 of 116 Old 12-30-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by imagic 

...Sony says the super-tweeters on its Core Series speakers elevate the maximum frequency response to 50,000 Hz. While humans can't actually hear above 20,000 Hz (or so), modern high-resolution audio formats can store information in that range. Now, Sony offers speakers that can reproduce those frequencies—isn't progress wonderful? Hopefully, the elevated high-frequency spec translates into accurate, smooth treble response.

Awesome!  Now my dogs can listen to music while I sleep.
Well given that every dog in your neighborhood will be howling, you probably wont' sleep much.
post #73 of 116 Old 01-24-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've never seen such a bunch of judgmental people on one forum before in my life.. Most of you have never held these speakers in your hands, let alone, hooked them up and actually listened to them. My apologies to the few on here that actually own and like the Sony Core series. I must admit, I was a little hesitant about purchasing a pair of the Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers as well, but wanted to start off cheap. Didn't know if my naughty cats would destroy them or leave them alone, so I got a pair on sale for $165. Well, after hooking them up to my Emotiva XPA-100 mono blocks and fresh out of the box, I was completely amazed.. I use Tidal on my OPPO and listen to FLAC files and these speakers are absolutely phenomenal.. I could not get over how such a cheap pair of speakers could sound so damn good.. These sound just as open, delicate, and airy as the Monitor Audio towers they are replacing. No coloration to think of. Not boomy, boxy, or muddy in any way. Nice wide and deep soundstage. I have owned many loudspeakers in my day from Martin Logan electrostatics to Bose and have yet to find such a smooth, natural, uncolored pair of speakers that sound this incredibly good. I was originally just going to use these temporarily until I can find something much better but I think that has changed. My brother owns a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5's that are an incredible pair of speakers and after extensive listening, I really don't hear any difference between them and the Sony's.. I've owned the beloved Pioneers that everyone raves about and they simply don't hold a candle to these.. So for all of you Sony haters out there, before judging, back up your comments with facts before spewing at the mouth...
post #74 of 116 Old 01-24-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzz View Post
I've never seen such a bunch of judgmental people on one forum before in my life.. Most of you have never held these speakers in your hands, let alone, hooked them up and actually listened to them. My apologies to the few on here that actually own and like the Sony Core series. I must admit, I was a little hesitant about purchasing a pair of the Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers as well, but wanted to start off cheap. Didn't know if my naughty cats would destroy them or leave them alone, so I got a pair on sale for $165. Well, after hooking them up to my Emotiva XPA-100 mono blocks and fresh out of the box, I was completely amazed.. I use Tidal on my OPPO and listen to FLAC files and these speakers are absolutely phenomenal.. I could not get over how such a cheap pair of speakers could sound so damn good.. These sound just as open, delicate, and airy as the Monitor Audio towers they are replacing. No coloration to think of. Not boomy, boxy, or muddy in any way. Nice wide and deep soundstage. I have owned many loudspeakers in my day from Martin Logan electrostatics to Bose and have yet to find such a smooth, natural, uncolored pair of speakers that sound this incredibly good. I was originally just going to use these temporarily until I can find something much better but I think that has changed. My brother owns a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5's that are an incredible pair of speakers and after extensive listening, I really don't hear any difference between them and the Sony's.. I've owned the beloved Pioneers that everyone raves about and they simply don't hold a candle to these.. So for all of you Sony haters out there, before judging, back up your comments with facts before spewing at the mouth...

Welcome to AVS and the audio world in general. Judgmental is how we roll....

post #75 of 116 Old 01-24-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Welcome to AVS and the audio world in general. Judgmental is how we roll....
Apparently why there's no real information on this site...
post #76 of 116 Old 01-25-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Oh man...I was completely in agreement with everything you were saying!

But you lost me at :

Quote:
...... to Bose...

post #77 of 116 Old 01-25-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Oh man...I was completely in agreement with everything you were saying!

But you lost me at :

Hey.. I tried them.. Didn't say I liked them..
post #78 of 116 Old 01-27-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was hoping to get Mark Henninger to review these. He said he wanted to, but I don't know if he'll get to it. They are getting extremely good reviews all over the internet, even among audiophile circles. Some have even said for the price point there isn't even anything close to as good, even the AJ Pioneers.
post #79 of 116 Old 01-30-2016, 05:44 AM

I absolutely agree with your statement. I'm still shocked. When I purchased these, they were meant to go back to Best Buy within their tiny 15 day return window.. That didn't happen and I'm not even looking at loudspeakers anymore. The smoothness and clarity is staggering.... Basically, I've yet to hear a speaker this natural without, and I mean without ANY coloration whatsoever. Sony did some serious homework with these.
post #80 of 116 Old 02-02-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone tried these yet? Whats the feedback? Coundn't find many reviews
post #81 of 116 Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've never been a Sony speaker fan, but feel they have put out some very decent speakers. They've gotten very good reviews from their APM series and their SS-M series. I would love to have a pair of the SS-M7s. I would definitely give the new series a listen.
post #82 of 116 Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
I've never been a Sony speaker fan, but feel they have put out some very decent speakers. They've gotten very good reviews from their APM series and their SS-M series. I would love to have a pair of the SS-M7s. I would definitely give the new series a listen.
Well, that's the rub - they come out with a SS speaker at $5,000 each - and the Core speaker at $200 each.

Nothing in the "middle".
post #83 of 116 Old 02-03-2016, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
TBH, Sony is a very odd company when it comes to audio (strictly speaking audio here, not their other stuff). Every once in a while, they would release something that is like a gem, only to be hidden away with damn near zero marketing.

I've had the liberty of testing the entire Core series package a couple of weeks ago for a good 1 hour (not even long at all, but enough for a first impression) in a Sony store. The speakers were all running off a Sony DN-1060 receiver, for better or worse.

So first off, just purely on stereo imaging with the CS3. I was impressed right off the bat, the neutrality that it offers (something uncommon at this price point) was just astounding. There was very little hint of bloat in the bottom end, the trebles (or even the low-highs) weren't harsh, the mids weren't veiled at all instead filled with detail, the soundstage was wide enough to have a good sense of directionality, and most remarkably there was very, very little distortion at high volumes (again, at this price point, most speakers just starts to clip at 60% volume). To say the least; it all just sounds, natural. What the source feeds is what the CS3 will play, with very little hint of bias in any areas.
I don't know what Sony's goals were with the CS3, but damn if neutrality was what they wanted then I don't think there is another floorstander at this price point that beats the CS3, matches it perhaps.

Next, I tried the CS5 bookshelves. I was fully expecting the CS5 to be decent at best, nothing special but just decent. As impressed as I was with the CS3, I find myself toe tapping again and was fully engrossed with the CS5 like I did with the CS3. Obviously there are differences, the CS5 has a more forward presentation, it obviously doesn't extend as low as the CS3 but it certainly isn't lacking of bottom-end heft. There was good grunt, without overclouding details, punchy yet dynamic. The "super tweeters" though... well, I'm not going to hear 50khz, so yeah... I don't know what to say about the trebles other than it wasn't harsh, though did sound a little rolled off if I had to nitpick.

As for the center channel CS8 and the sub SACS9, I tested a movie (The Amazing Spiderman 2, what else would they play in a Sony store?) with them in conjunction with the CS3 and CS5. So good ol' 5.1 goodness.
First the CS8, I'll cut right to the chase and say that if the core series has a weak link, it's the CS8. Why? Because for as well handled it can be in the fight scenes between Spidey and Electro, it lacks grunt. Yeah, the CS8 can indeed be very clean, without voices sounding muddy or overly fatiguing. But everytime there was a transition between an action scene with voices, the CS8 sounds noticeably hollow and thin. I wouldn't say it is bad by any means, but in comparison the Pioneer AJ-SP22 which is usually the benchmark for entry level center channels was better in almost every way.
How about the ACS9 sub? Sony has never really been one known for quality subs. So I fully expected the ACS9 to sound bloated, muddy, and just be like any run off the mill standard sub you get with overpriced PC speakers. But I was wrong, very. The ACS9 has a solid sense of tactility and but isn't overly aggressive. There's a decent amount of attack, definitely enough to feel the bass-thumping chest. The downside is that the ACS9 won't extend very low unfortunately.
The extension it gets transitioning from the CS3 was impressive however, there was very little sense of disconnect between the main channels. It was cohesive, immersive and everything else except negative. The ACS9 is a solid performer, it definitely won't match up close to an SVS SB2000 (or even the SB1000), but against the overly popular Polk SW10 or Dayton 1000, the ACS9 comes out on top as the more balanced one.

Unfortunately, I couldn't test games. Yeah there was a PS4 in the demo room, somehow missing of its power cable... so, uh..

This isn't a comprehensive review, far from it. As the store demo room wasn't actually that well treated and the placement of the speakers could be better (as well as the fine-tuning IMO), taking all these into consideration I do think the Core series speakers from Sony is a very, very good value buy. Yeah there are slightly cheaper alternatives like the very popular Pioneer AJ speakers, but I certainly do feel and has experienced that the Sony CS package is a lot more capable than the Pioneer AJs. It's just a shame Sony released this in 2014, didn't gain traction at all through 2015 and probably isn't even manufacturing more of them for much longer (I could be wrong, but it feels that way).

For anyone looking to get an entry level, mainstream set of speakers, I don't think you could go wrong with the CS3, CS5 and the ACS9 sub. I'd personally substitute out the center CS8 for something else though.

Last edited by Ben Tan; 02-03-2016 at 03:11 AM.
post #84 of 116 Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently why there's no real information on this site...

Oh, there is. There's TONS of information on this site. More than is digestable in any reasonable amount of time. However, it's the internet, so there is also derision, sarcasm and trolls of all shapes and sizes. But this is the best AV site on the web HANDS DOWN.

post #85 of 116 Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
TBH, Sony is a very odd company when it comes to audio (strictly speaking audio here, not their other stuff). Every once in a while, they would release something that is like a gem, only to be hidden away with damn near zero marketing.

I've had the liberty of testing the entire Core series package a couple of weeks ago for a good 1 hour (not even long at all, but enough for a first impression) in a Sony store. The speakers were all running off a Sony DN-1060 receiver, for better or worse.

So first off, just purely on stereo imaging with the CS3. I was impressed right off the bat, the neutrality that it offers (something uncommon at this price point) was just astounding. There was very little hint of bloat in the bottom end, the trebles (or even the low-highs) weren't harsh, the mids weren't veiled at all instead filled with detail, the soundstage was wide enough to have a good sense of directionality, and most remarkably there was very, very little distortion at high volumes (again, at this price point, most speakers just starts to clip at 60% volume). To say the least; it all just sounds, natural. What the source feeds is what the CS3 will play, with very little hint of bias in any areas.
I don't know what Sony's goals were with the CS3, but damn if neutrality was what they wanted then I don't think there is another floorstander at this price point that beats the CS3, matches it perhaps.

Next, I tried the CS5 bookshelves. I was fully expecting the CS5 to be decent at best, nothing special but just decent. As impressed as I was with the CS3, I find myself toe tapping again and was fully engrossed with the CS5 like I did with the CS3. Obviously there are differences, the CS5 has a more forward presentation, it obviously doesn't extend as low as the CS3 but it certainly isn't lacking of bottom-end heft. There was good grunt, without overclouding details, punchy yet dynamic. The "super tweeters" though... well, I'm not going to hear 50khz, so yeah... I don't know what to say about the trebles other than it wasn't harsh, though did sound a little rolled off if I had to nitpick.

As for the center channel CS8 and the sub SACS9, I tested a movie (The Amazing Spiderman 2, what else would they play in a Sony store?) with them in conjunction with the CS3 and CS5. So good ol' 5.1 goodness.
First the CS8, I'll cut right to the chase and say that if the core series has a weak link, it's the CS8. Why? Because for as well handled it can be in the fight scenes between Spidey and Electro, it lacks grunt. Yeah, the CS8 can indeed be very clean, without voices sounding muddy or overly fatiguing. But everytime there was a transition between an action scene with voices, the CS8 sounds noticeably hollow and thin. I wouldn't say it is bad by any means, but in comparison the Pioneer AJ-SP22 which is usually the benchmark for entry level center channels was better in almost every way.
How about the ACS9 sub? Sony has never really been one known for quality subs. So I fully expected the ACS9 to sound bloated, muddy, and just be like any run off the mill standard sub you get with overpriced PC speakers. But I was wrong, very. The ACS9 has a solid sense of tactility and but isn't overly aggressive. There's a decent amount of attack, definitely enough to feel the bass-thumping chest. The downside is that the ACS9 won't extend very low unfortunately.
The extension it gets transitioning from the CS3 was impressive however, there was very little sense of disconnect between the main channels. It was cohesive, immersive and everything else except negative. The ACS9 is a solid performer, it definitely won't match up close to an SVS SB2000 (or even the SB1000), but against the overly popular Polk SW10 or Dayton 1000, the ACS9 comes out on top as the more balanced one.

Unfortunately, I couldn't test games. Yeah there was a PS4 in the demo room, somehow missing of its power cable... so, uh..

This isn't a comprehensive review, far from it. As the store demo room wasn't actually that well treated and the placement of the speakers could be better (as well as the fine-tuning IMO), taking all these into consideration I do think the Core series speakers from Sony is a very, very good value buy. Yeah there are slightly cheaper alternatives like the very popular Pioneer AJ speakers, but I certainly do feel and has experienced that the Sony CS package is a lot more capable than the Pioneer AJs. It's just a shame Sony released this in 2014, didn't gain traction at all through 2015 and probably isn't even manufacturing more of them for much longer (I could be wrong, but it feels that way).

For anyone looking to get an entry level, mainstream set of speakers, I don't think you could go wrong with the CS3, CS5 and the ACS9 sub. I'd personally substitute out the center CS8 for something else though.

That's too bad about the CS8. I was thinking of slowly upgrading to these starting with the CS3's. So I will have to find a better center channel. No biggie.

post #86 of 116 Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
That's too bad about the CS8. I was thinking of slowly upgrading to these starting with the CS3's. So I will have to find a better center channel. No biggie.
The CS3 and CS5 are absolutely worth it, one of the best places to start. Like quite a few has said, they punch WAAAY above their price suggests. Definitely go for the CS3 if you're looking for one, I would if only I didn't already have a pair of KEF Q500, which tbvh I do feel that the CS3 is better at in some areas (tonality and transparency for example).

The CS8 though, consider how much you could get them. From where I live, they're only $100 + tax (Malaysia, after conversion). So price wise, there aren't many center channels at $100 (save perhaps the Pioneer C22) which are even decent to begin with. The CS8 is decent, just no where near the amazingness of the CS3 and CS5.
I think some people has said that if Sony would sell the CS5 individually, it'd be perfect for the center. I could agree with that notion.
audiofreak38 likes this.
post #87 of 116 Old 02-09-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
The CS3 and CS5 are absolutely worth it, one of the best places to start. Like quite a few has said, they punch WAAAY above their price suggests. Definitely go for the CS3 if you're looking for one, I would if only I didn't already have a pair of KEF Q500, which tbvh I do feel that the CS3 is better at in some areas (tonality and transparency for example).

The CS8 though, consider how much you could get them. From where I live, they're only $100 + tax (Malaysia, after conversion). So price wise, there aren't many center channels at $100 (save perhaps the Pioneer C22) which are even decent to begin with. The CS8 is decent, just no where near the amazingness of the CS3 and CS5.
I think some people has said that if Sony would sell the CS5 individually, it'd be perfect for the center. I could agree with that notion.
I very much agree that the Core center is the weakest link in the chain. Really liked the Core towers, but preferred the Core bookshelfs more. Imaging was better, bass not as deep but certainly tighter and more articulate. Both exhibited smoothness and balance that left me amazed. Hard to believe these are Sony speakers. For the money, the Cores can easily hold their own. Much better in every sense than the AJ Pioneer speakers.

Cheers,

Phil
fatuglyguy likes this.

Last edited by audiofreak38; 02-09-2016 at 03:53 PM.
post #88 of 116 Old 02-28-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

A single CS5 instead of the CS8 for the center?
post #89 of 116 Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
A single CS5 instead of the CS8 for the center?
Yes, like I already mentioned a single CS5 as the center would be better/ideal instead of the CS8. Problem is, Sony doesn't sell the CS5 individually, only as a pair.
Odd I know.

Of course, you could find another core series owner and tell the person not to buy the CS8, but share out the cost to buy an extra pair of CS5.
post #90 of 116 Old 02-29-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, like I already mentioned a single CS5 as the center would be better/ideal instead of the CS8. Problem is, Sony doesn't sell the CS5 individually, only as a pair.
Odd I know.

Of course, you could find another core series owner and tell the person not to buy the CS8, but share out the cost to buy an extra pair of CS5.
I just find it odd that a the single CS5 bookself would be better as a center than the CS8 center itself...

What about leaving the center out all together and having the front L/R CS3 speakers take care if its duties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Subwoofers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page