Sony Core Series High-Resolution Speakers - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #91 of 116 Old 03-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
I just find it odd that a the single CS5 bookself would be better as a center than the CS8 center itself...

What about leaving the center out all together and having the front L/R CS3 speakers take care if its duties?
It's not that odd really. The CS8 uses a very standard MTM design and I already heard lobing issues just by moving off-axis a little. But the more important factor is that the CS8 just lacks grunt. The CS5 in comparison at least, does not.

Not sure about leaving the center out, it was just a rather brief audition. I'd certainly like to test many more things, but given that it was a public demo room, it isn't possible to go disconnect the center and do re-calibrations and whatever else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 03-28-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Regarding the CS8, how is the clarity compared to other similarly priced center channels? If it will be an improvement over what I have now, I might just pull the trigger on one soon and start my upgrade process with that (I really want to replace my center and if I am going to upgrade to the Core series I would rather stay in series for the center if it is an improvement over what I have now)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #93 of 116 Old 04-10-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Regarding the CS8, how is the clarity compared to other similarly priced center channels? If it will be an improvement over what I have now, I might just pull the trigger on one soon and start my upgrade process with that (I really want to replace my center and if I am going to upgrade to the Core series I would rather stay in series for the center if it is an improvement over what I have now)
I figure, I would chime in since it's kind of hard to find a review on the center channel CS8 and I just went way too deep down the rabbit hole trying to decide on this one or not.

Short answer: They are very clear and full for music and movies! However on some music tracks if you use the center speaker the vocals can get swallowed by the instruments and don't have the effect they could.

Long answer below:

From my standpoint I am someone who built a budget system in stages while I was dead broke, so I am someone who like most people are trying to get the most quality out of every dollar I could. Whenever I read these forums I get the impression that many of the people here sit in their living room with a snifter of brandy and gush over there B&W speakers that they paid $1000+ per speaker for. Where as I'm someone who if I stay in over a weekend and it's one of those glorious 3 paycheck months I can justify spending a few hundred on something I am going to enjoy. Typically this means your "entry level +" speakers you would find at BB or Fry's. I only tell you that because everything is so subjective in audio that it is important to see things in perspective.

With that out of the way. I recently updated My Denon 888 to a s910w and was updating my Sony cn3000 speakers I picked up on sale a while ago to finish off my 7.1 system. I am using the sony b3000 for the fronts and b1000 for the surround and back. On a side note I would put these speakers among the best bargain you could have gotten back in the day and I still love their sound. For me I was choosing between the Polk Audio CS, the Klipsch r25c and the CS8.

I swung over the the local fry's and took over their listening room when they weren't paying attention and hooked my phone into their system to listen to certain tracks. The polk and Sony were very comparable with the Sony's being a little more pronounced to me when listening to them side by side. The Klipsch sounded a bit more clear because the vocals in "Aloe Blacc's The Man" seemed separated and put out "in front" of the rest of the audio which I kind of liked. The Sony and Polk where flatter in comparison. I switched to Beethoven and found that what I liked about the Klipsch at first I hated in the second. The piano became very strained and pronounced and didn't work well (to my ears) with the rest of the symphony. Since my Denon has been described as a "bright" receiver I went with the sony, half due to brand loyalty and keeping the same tonality and half due to the price point.

Once I got it home I am extremely happy with the quality. I tested them out with a large variety of formats. From action movies like Transformers to Sports like Golf and Baseball to quieter dialogue driven films everything from the audio standpoint sounded crisp and clear. I think the secret is in the mix of the audio. When something is designed for a center channel the dialogue sticks out very well and plays quite nicely.

Then I played a bunch of different types of music and this is where the clarity really comes in. I listened via Bluetooth with Dolby surround on like an average Joe. The plain white T's Hey there Delilah sounded fantastic when it came to the guitar. You could not only hear the fingers slide across the guitar strings but it was clear enough that you could hear the friction from the texture of strings. Similarly with regards to cymbals in "Dog Days are Over" the crash not only made the generic cymbal notice but you could hear the metal and it's movement all without being straining. I think the warmth of the speakers help create an atmosphere for the music as opposed to getting sound in 7 different directions if that makes sense.

The gripe that some have voiced regarding the lacking of "Grunt" i say is a valid one. Though not a deal breaker for buying these but I feel with things recorded in stereo without the center channel being promoted in the mixing of the audio the dialogue/vocals, while still very clear, can get over-matched by the other parts of the audio. In tracks like "You can't always get what you want" and Angels and Empire, where the vocals play an important part in the emotion of the piece, it loses some of it's effect because the vocals aren't in the forefront of the sound.

All in all I would say pull the trigger if you are looking for a speaker in that $200 range that will give you a full range of audio. You won't be upset, especially if you are eventually going to slowly upgrade the rest of the speakers. From what I've read and heard the core series is a phenomenal set of entry level speakers and if the CS8 is the weak link it is still very good.
NuSoardGraphite likes this.

post #94 of 116 Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh459 View Post
I figure, I would chime in since it's kind of hard to find a review on the center channel CS8 and I just went way too deep down the rabbit hole trying to decide on this one or not.

Short answer: They are very clear and full for music and movies! However on some music tracks if you use the center speaker the vocals can get swallowed by the instruments and don't have the effect they could.

Long answer below:

From my standpoint I am someone who built a budget system in stages while I was dead broke, so I am someone who like most people are trying to get the most quality out of every dollar I could. Whenever I read these forums I get the impression that many of the people here sit in their living room with a snifter of brandy and gush over there B&W speakers that they paid $1000+ per speaker for. Where as I'm someone who if I stay in over a weekend and it's one of those glorious 3 paycheck months I can justify spending a few hundred on something I am going to enjoy. Typically this means your "entry level +" speakers you would find at BB or Fry's. I only tell you that because everything is so subjective in audio that it is important to see things in perspective.

With that out of the way. I recently updated My Denon 888 to a s910w and was updating my Sony cn3000 speakers I picked up on sale a while ago to finish off my 7.1 system. I am using the sony b3000 for the fronts and b1000 for the surround and back. On a side note I would put these speakers among the best bargain you could have gotten back in the day and I still love their sound. For me I was choosing between the Polk Audio CS, the Klipsch r25c and the CS8.

I swung over the the local fry's and took over their listening room when they weren't paying attention and hooked my phone into their system to listen to certain tracks. The polk and Sony were very comparable with the Sony's being a little more pronounced to me when listening to them side by side. The Klipsch sounded a bit more clear because the vocals in "Aloe Blacc's The Man" seemed separated and put out "in front" of the rest of the audio which I kind of liked. The Sony and Polk where flatter in comparison. I switched to Beethoven and found that what I liked about the Klipsch at first I hated in the second. The piano became very strained and pronounced and didn't work well (to my ears) with the rest of the symphony. Since my Denon has been described as a "bright" receiver I went with the sony, half due to brand loyalty and keeping the same tonality and half due to the price point.

Once I got it home I am extremely happy with the quality. I tested them out with a large variety of formats. From action movies like Transformers to Sports like Golf and Baseball to quieter dialogue driven films everything from the audio standpoint sounded crisp and clear. I think the secret is in the mix of the audio. When something is designed for a center channel the dialogue sticks out very well and plays quite nicely.

Then I played a bunch of different types of music and this is where the clarity really comes in. I listened via Bluetooth with Dolby surround on like an average Joe. The plain white T's Hey there Delilah sounded fantastic when it came to the guitar. You could not only hear the fingers slide across the guitar strings but it was clear enough that you could hear the friction from the texture of strings. Similarly with regards to cymbals in "Dog Days are Over" the crash not only made the generic cymbal notice but you could hear the metal and it's movement all without being straining. I think the warmth of the speakers help create an atmosphere for the music as opposed to getting sound in 7 different directions if that makes sense.

The gripe that some have voiced regarding the lacking of "Grunt" i say is a valid one. Though not a deal breaker for buying these but I feel with things recorded in stereo without the center channel being promoted in the mixing of the audio the dialogue/vocals, while still very clear, can get over-matched by the other parts of the audio. In tracks like "You can't always get what you want" and Angels and Empire, where the vocals play an important part in the emotion of the piece, it loses some of it's effect because the vocals aren't in the forefront of the sound.

All in all I would say pull the trigger if you are looking for a speaker in that $200 range that will give you a full range of audio. You won't be upset, especially if you are eventually going to slowly upgrade the rest of the speakers. From what I've read and heard the core series is a phenomenal set of entry level speakers and if the CS8 is the weak link it is still very good.

From what it sounds like, you are in the same boat when it comes to speaker price range, in fact, we had the same set of speakers, LOL!

I also liked the B-series Sony speakers, especially for what I paid for them (well under $250 for all 5) except for the CN3000, which is also the weak link in that series. I hear the weaknesses in all my speakers (they are very inexpensive) but the center bugs me the most as dialogue can get lost in all the other sounds. I want a speaker that can bring the center channel forward a bit. Clarity is also important for music purposes.

So I'm thinking I will try the CS8 at my next opportunity (when I have the cash) and see if it improves my setup at all.

post #95 of 116 Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
I also liked the B-series Sony speakers, especially for what I paid for them (well under $250 for all 5) except for the CN3000, which is also the weak link in that series. I hear the weaknesses in all my speakers (they are very inexpensive) but the center bugs me the most as dialogue can get lost in all the other sounds. I want a speaker that can bring the center channel forward a bit.

The matching center for the 'B' series is the CN5000, which has two 5.25" drivers and one 1" tweeter. Maybe that's what you were referring to? Or the super small one that comes with two side speakers (where none, including the center, actually has a tweeter in it)?
post #96 of 116 Old 04-16-2016, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ha, I mean the little CN3000 with the satellites. Back when I got them. It was the perfect thing (i use the term loosly) to replace an old Boston Acouatic bookshelf speaker that was annoying because I had to put it on the ground do to its shape. And it turned a 5.1 into a 7.1 with those little guys making noise in the back. The biggest issue with the CN3000 was the dynamic frequency only went down to 150hz so I had to upgrade. Don't judge, I was Balling on a Budget!

And speaking of upgrading I actually got the CS3s yesterday via open box at Best Buy ($150 each). They match up really well even without having a chance to run the calibration. The word that pops to mind is smooth when describing these. I'm hearing way more detail than with the 3000 as expected. The center doesn't get swallowed up like in the vocal range as before because it isn't competing with a 10" woofer sitting right next to it. Which brings me to the point. Definitely use a bass unit or two with this series. Some idiot house guest unplugged my sub to charge his phone instead of using one of the million available plugs around my home so when I gave a first listen I was like "where are the drums!?"

I still wouldn't say the vocals are "out front" like you would find in the Klipsch versions. But just to my ears those speakers come off too bright and have the tendency to hit a note or a cord that grinds on my ears.
post #97 of 116 Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
The matching center for the 'B' series is the CN5000, which has two 5.25" drivers and one 1" tweeter. Maybe that's what you were referring to? Or the super small one that comes with two side speakers (where none, including the center, actually has a tweeter in it)?

Yes, you are right. CN5000. The 3000 was that Center + Surrounds package.

I have the larger 5000 and it is still a weak link. The B1000 and B3000 are both quite okay for the money I paid but I feel in my system the center is the weakest point.

post #98 of 116 Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Curious no one is talking about these speakers especially since Best Buy had them for 50% off. I bought the bookshelves for $109/pair and testing them in my living room. They are good for the price. I am comparing them to a large tower (Klipsch RF-5) which is much more expensive. They do a respectable job. I am still deciding if I am going to keep them.
post #99 of 116 Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
so after reading the thread, can i conclude that the SS-CS3 is definitely worth buying??
post #100 of 116 Old 12-06-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahaboy View Post
so after reading the thread, can i conclude that the SS-CS3 is definitely worth buying??

Yes.
post #101 of 116 Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So the SS-cs3 is max 145W. i am using yamaha a 760 adventage series with nominal of 90w per channel and max of 145W per channel.

So no issues on using the above sony speakers right?
post #102 of 116 Old 12-09-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahaboy View Post
So the SS-cs3 is max 145W. i am using yamaha a 760 adventage series with nominal of 90w per channel and max of 145W per channel.

So no issues on using the above sony speakers right?

Correct, no issues.
post #103 of 116 Old 12-09-2016, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm... I wonder how they compare to IMO the current budget champ Chane A1RXs?

Denon X4300H | Salk Veracity ST | Chane AR1X | SVS SB13 Ultra
post #104 of 116 Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
SS-CS3 Tower+
SS-CS8 Center Channel

this quality ?
post #105 of 116 Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony used to be so dominant in electronics, but I've never thought much of their speakers...
post #106 of 116 Old 03-26-2017, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone compare the bookshelf speakers to the floor standing for mid and upper range? I was looking at several other speakers, but now considering these.

My primary concern is mid and upper frequencies since I have an Outlaw sub. It's only about $30 more to do the SSCS3 when I factor in new speaker stands for the SSCS5. Any help is much appreciated as I am headed to the store shortly

Visiting since 2002!
post #107 of 116 Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I picked up the floorstanders and center. The first thing I noticed is that it wasn't a night and day difference over what I had which was a larger size Onkyo HTIB from 2004. I am wondering if I should take back the floor speakers and save the $30 by going back to bookshelf speakers.

There's more detail in the upper end, and the sound seems more three dimensional. Before the sound seemed to come from the screen, but the bookshelf speakers were raised to the screen area.

They are still breaking in, and I am getting used to the differences. I have some more playing to do with receiver settings as well. I am not quite sure about crossover settings as I don't seem any more bass from these than I had before. I figured that would be the biggest difference. The receiver and sub are both set to 80.

Visiting since 2002!
post #108 of 116 Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post
Well, I picked up the floorstanders and center. The first thing I noticed is that it wasn't a night and day difference over what I had which was a larger size Onkyo HTIB from 2004. I am wondering if I should take back the floor speakers and save the $30 by going back to bookshelf speakers.

There's more detail in the upper end, and the sound seems more three dimensional. Before the sound seemed to come from the screen, but the bookshelf speakers were raised to the screen area.

They are still breaking in, and I am getting used to the differences. I have some more playing to do with receiver settings as well. I am not quite sure about crossover settings as I don't seem any more bass from these than I had before. I figured that would be the biggest difference. The receiver and sub are both set to 80.
Nick, it seems that I recall reviews that preferred the sound of the CS5 bookshelf speakers. The CS5 sound quite good. I haven't listened to the towers.
post #109 of 116 Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't been able to listen to these much, but I did change the crossover to 50, down from 80, which was the only other choice. It sounds better already. I'd be more comfortable at 60 but that wasn't an option.

Visiting since 2002!
post #110 of 116 Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Nick, it seems that I recall reviews that preferred the sound of the CS5 bookshelf speakers. The CS5 sound quite good. I haven't listened to the towers.
I have never seen a professional review that has stated that...

I have seen a few professional reviews that have stated that the bookshelves are nearly as good as the towers - the towers give extra added bass.
post #111 of 116 Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

So I learned when I bought the towers that they only come with thin rubber pads that don't do anything to steady them on carpet. Can anyone recommend a cheap set of spikes?

What about these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CT6D2S...I21AO40UDP7TPC

The challenge is finding something that is short enough to go into the bottoms of the speakers while also offering a long enough spike for any length carpet.

Edit: New URL

Visiting since 2002!

Last edited by Nick_WI; 03-30-2017 at 06:24 PM.
post #112 of 116 Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the mini-review Nick.

I am also trying to decide if I want to go with the Towers vs the bookshelves. You meantion they sounded more "3 dimensional" which speaks to good imaging. Thats exactly what I am looking for. How many different co figurations have you put these speakers through?

How far are they from your main LP?

How far apart are they?

How much toe in?

Looking for speakere with clairty that image well at an affordable price point. These are currently the top contenders.

post #113 of 116 Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Those are some sexy looking speakers.
post #114 of 116 Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the mini-review Nick.

I am also trying to decide if I want to go with the Towers vs the bookshelves. You meantion they sounded more "3 dimensional" which speaks to good imaging. Thats exactly what I am looking for. How many different co figurations have you put these speakers through?

How far are they from your main LP?

How far apart are they?

How much toe in?

Looking for speakere with clairty that image well at an affordable price point. These are currently the top contenders.
Sorry for the long delay lol. What did you end up doing? I was on vacation at the time of this posting and never got back to it. It's a simple 5.1 set up with the rear speakers being my original speakers. They're about 10 feet from LP and maybe 6 feet between them. I've got them at about 25 degrees.

Visiting since 2002!
post #115 of 116 Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post
Sorry for the long delay lol. What did you end up doing? I was on vacation at the time of this posting and never got back to it. It's a simple 5.1 set up with the rear speakers being my original speakers. They're about 10 feet from LP and maybe 6 feet between them. I've got them at about 25 degrees.

Dealing with car issues, so haven't purchased anything yet.

post #116 of 116 Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got a chance to hear these in a home setup. A work friend wanted to upgrade from his Bose system and he liked Sony equipment, so I recommended this set to him, which he found at Best Buy and pulled the trigger.

Watched Batman v Superman and the sound was fantastic. Very spacious soundstage with very crisp and clear highs and decent lows. He even had the 10" subwoofer which sounded pretty good in his room. To be fair, he has a very square room with tight dimensions, so everything is close enough to get direct and clear sound. Even the 10" sub sounds loud and deep. My own room, however, is quite open by comparison and oddly shaped. I know this same set will sound different, but if I can get good direct sound from these speakers, I'm sure they'll sound great. Better than the set I currently have.

Still unable to purchase at the moment because not only am I still dealing with car issues, but my old Denon receiver finally broke down on me (HDMI board), so I have to get a new receiver before I start upgrading speakers.
Broadus likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Subwoofers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page