Sony Unveils New High-Resolution AVRs & HTiB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 850

In addition to the Core Series of high-resolution speakers, which Mark Henninger covered here, Sony last week introduced two new AV receivers and a home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB) with an emphasis on high-resolution audio. This means they can support digital-audio resolutions well above that of CD audio and any compressed formats such as MP3. (Two lower-cost AVRs were also introduced, but they have no high-res capabilities.)

The top-tier STR-DN1050 and step-down STR-DN850 can support audio resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz WAV (uncompressed) or FLAC (losslessly compressed). The 1050 also supports DSD (Direct Stream Digital), the digital-audio format used by SACD. A USB port provides the input for high-res files as well as iDevices. Audio quality is enhanced with a more stable and optimized chassis, high-capacity transformer, and large capacitors.

The STR-DN1050 is Sony's latest top-tier AV receiver with high-res audio support and tones of features. The STR-DN850 looks essentially identical.

On the video side, both models offer 4K/UHD upscaling and pass-thru via HDMI (six inputs on the 1050, five on the 850), including at least one that is MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) compatible. The 1050 also provides a fully independent second zone with HDMI output, IR repeaters, and powered and line-level audio outputs. Any source connected to the AVR can be independently accessed from the second zone, including streaming services such as Music Unlimited, Pandora, and Spotify as well as AirPlay and Bluetooth sources. Near-Field Communications (NFC) makes it simple to stream content from a mobile device by simply touching it to the AVR.

Both models are 7.2-channel AVRs; the 1050 delivers 165 watts per channel, while the 850 provides 150 Wpc. The 1050 will carry a price tag of $599, and the 850 will be $499 when they start shipping in May.

Another addition to Sony's high-res audio-product lineup is the BDV-N7200W, a complete 5.1-channel home-theater system with integrated Blu-ray player, wireless surround speakers, and a downfiring subwoofer. Like the STR-DN1050 and 850, this HTiB supports a wide range of standard and high-res audio files from MP3 to DSD over HDMI, a home network, or USB as well as AirPlay and Bluetooth with NFC for streaming from mobile devices. It also provides 4K and 3D pass-thru and offers built-in Wi-Fi with online audio and video streaming from such providers as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Music Unlimited, Pandora, Spotify, and others.

The BDV-N7200W is an all-in-one 5.1 home-theater package with Blu-ray player, AVR, wireless surround speakers, a beefy subwoofer, and high-res audio capabilities.

The BDV-N7200W claims a total power of 1200W and will be available in May at a suggested retail price of $699.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

imagic and cardoski like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Scott,
Do you know if both models have the on screen GUI from last years STR-DN1040? If so, the 850 looks like a perfect fit for my needs.
TIA

Rick
post #3 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Wow nice price point on the STR-DN1050.

James Reid:D
post #4 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Scott,
Do you know if both models have the on screen GUI from last years STR-DN1040? If so, the 850 looks like a perfect fit for my needs.
TIA

I don't know, but I'll try to find out...stand by.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #5 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Scott,
TIA

Yes. They carried over the GUI from last year's 1040 to the 1050 and it looks like they even extended it down to the 850 this year.

Basically, the 850 is last year's 840 plus the improved GUI and all of the high res audio support that is new this year.

Meanwhile, the 1050 is basically last year's 1040 plus all of the high res audio support. It has 2 fewer HDMI inputs (down from 8 to 6) but one more HDMI output (up from 2 to 3). 3 of the 6 HDMI inputs are MHL compatible (up from only 1 on the 1040). The only head scratcher here is why they stuck to MHL 2.0 rather than going to MHL 3.0, considering Sony is going to be releasing an MHL 3.0 phone (Xperia Z2) this year. The biggest upgrade, other than the high res audio support is the improved 2nd zone capabilities. With the 1040, if you wanted different AV signals to be sent to the main and 2nd zones, you were limited to only analog sources in the second zone via. stereo analog preouts. The 1050 can send any of its sources including network functions to the 2nd zone via. a dedicated HDMI out while playing something else in the main zone. With last year's lineup, you had to step up to an ES model to get this.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 352
What's the story with sony's auto setup? Is it a proprietary room correction or simply setting distances, etc?
post #7 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Sony DCAC sets speaker distance, loudness and (depending on the model) EQ. The least fancy amongst any manufacturer but still better than nothing cool.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #8 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Sony DCAC sets speaker distance, loudness and (depending on the model) EQ. The least fancy amongst any manufacturer but still better than nothing cool.gif

Less fancy than Onkyo's new AccuEQ?

Are you saying you expect these two Sony avr's to sound the same or are there inherent differences in their sound quality?

post #9 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

As I haven't used AccuEQ, I can't comment. As for difference in SQ between the two Sony, again, I haven't seen or hear them, so I don't know yet.

my home theatre

post #10 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

What's the story with sony's auto setup? Is it a proprietary room correction or simply setting distances, etc?

Every Sony receiver I've owned seemed to only set gain and distance. The process ran way too fast to do any sort of eq'ing. I took maybe 15 seconds to complete. Having said that, they sound OK without room eq. I guess that says more about the room than anything else.
post #11 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

The sound quality coming from the 850 & 1050 should be indistinguishable at normal volume levels.  I suppose if you pushed them to their limits the 850 would start to break up first, but normal people would never listen to them that loud in a typical room.  The main differences between the 850 and 1050 are in the I/O options...

STR DN850

Inputs:

HDMI x 5 (1 of which is MHL compatible)

Coaxial digital audio x 1

Optical digital audio x 2

Analog stereo audio (RCA) x 4

Composite video x 2

USB x 1

Ethernet x 1

AM/FM Antenna

Outputs:

HDMI x 1 (ARC)

Composite video x 1

Subwoofer pre-out x 2

Speakers x 7 (Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right, Surround Back/Front High/Bi-Amp/Speaker B Left, Surround Back/Front High//Bi-Amp/Speaker B Right)

Note: All outputs are from the same source.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STR DN1050

Inputs:

HDMI x 6 (3 of which are MHL compatible)

Coaxial digital audio x 1

Optical digital audio x 2

Analog stereo audio (RCA) x 4

Component video x 2

Composite video x 2

USB x 1

Ethernet x 1

AM/FM Antenna

Outputs:

HDMI x 3 (Monitor Out A (ARC), Monitor Out B, and Zone 2)

Analog stereo audio (RCA) x 1 (Zone 2)

Component video x 1

Composite video x 1

Subwoofer pre-out x 2

Speakers x 7 (Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right, Surround Back/Front High/Bi-Amp/Speaker B Left, Surround Back/Front High//Bi-Amp/Speaker B Right)

Note: HDMI Monitor Out A & B, Component video out, Composite video out, and all speaker outputs are all from the same source (Main Zone).  Zone 2 HDMI out can be from any source.  Zone 2 Analog stereo audio out is from the same source as the Zone 2 HDMI out.

freeman4 and jproy13 like this.
post #12 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What bugs me about Sony AVR's is the cost, equals or similar equipment is for more costly, with Sony always being the lowest priced. No 7.1 analog inputs, no 7.1 pre-out, and why after all tis time are they doing amps capable of lossless audio? Onkyo has been at 192 for many years now. Denon won't go that high either??

piss off then
post #13 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

A couple minor differences between last year's 840/1040 and this years 850/1050 that I missed in my previous post...

1) Built-in streaming services: The 840 & 1040 had Pandora, Sony Music Unlimited, Slacker, & vTuner.  This year's 850 & 1050 do away with Slacker & vTuner but add Spotify & Tunein.  Pandora and Sony Music Unlimited remain.

2) Mobile apps: Sony has had two different mobile apps that you can use to control their AV receivers for the last few years.  In 2012, you could use Media Remote as a virtual remote control on your mobile device.  It was a very basic touchscreen remote that functioned pretty much like the actual remote.  To access your network audio (DLNA), you had to use a separate app called Network Audio Remote.  Using this, you could browse your DLNA server and push audio to the receiver.  In 2013, they kept the Network Audio remote, but replaced the Media Remote app with TVsideview.  As far as the AV receiver is concerned, there wasn't much difference between Media Remote & TVsideview.  TVsideview's main improvements were the inclusion of an EPG and social features that are meant for people who own Sony TV's.  This year, they have kept the TVsideview, but have replaced Network Audio Remote with a new app called Songpal.  I have not seen Songpal yet, so can't comment on the differences between it and Network Audio Remote at this time.

post #14 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Every Sony receiver I've owned seemed to only set gain and distance. The process ran way too fast to do any sort of eq'ing. I took maybe 15 seconds to complete. Having said that, they sound OK without room eq. I guess that says more about the room than anything else.

Thanks, I never really knew. I had a 4400es until I bought a denon x4000 last fall because I wanted to try audyssey xt32. Great avr w/tons of functionality, but not as trouble free as the Sony. Never had a single issue with the Sony until it got zapped, then repaired (under warranty) and now runs my father's setup. I love Sony but they always run a year or two behind everyone else as far as features are concerned.

Fwiw, I thought its dcac did a pretty good job, but not as good as audyssey.
post #15 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leevit View Post

What bugs me about Sony AVR's is the cost, equals or similar equipment is for more costly, with Sony always being the lowest priced. No 7.1 analog inputs, no 7.1 pre-out, and why after all tis time are they doing amps capable of lossless audio? Onkyo has been at 192 for many years now. Denon won't go that high either??

As far as FLAC, ALAC, and DSD audio support go, I guess it's better late than never.  Sadly, multichannel analog input and pre-outs went away on Sony's mid-tier receivers (which is what these are) years ago.  The only 2013 Sony AV receiver to have them is/was the STR DA5800ES ($2,100).  I imagine that its 2014 replacement (which has not been announced yet) will probably be the only one to have it this year.

post #16 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

They also adjust speaker size for each speaker in order to adjust frequency crossover between the speakers and sub(s).

post #17 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I love Sony but they always run a year or two behind everyone else as far as features are concerned.

It depends on the features.  For audiophile-like features, they usually tend to lag a year or two behind (except when it comes to a Sony proprietary format).  For video features and convenience features (i.e. WiFi, Bluetooth, and Home Automation) they tend to lead the pack.

post #18 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Liked: 16
Can someone explain to me how this is any different from my Denon 3311 that can decode up to 24/192 and lossless formats? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be a trolly douche.

post #19 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 PM

Liked: 16
As someone looking to upgrade from a Sony STR-Dn1000 - are these new models worth the money to me? Or would I be better off going with another brand? Looking to lower the noise ceiling on my 7.1 setup OR get an amp that lets me bi-amp the front two towers while maintaining 7.1
post #20 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtf612 View Post

As someone looking to upgrade from a Sony STR-Dn1000 - are these new models worth the money to me? Or would I be better off going with another brand? Looking to lower the noise ceiling on my 7.1 setup OR get an amp that lets me bi-amp the front two towers while maintaining 7.1

I would want to see what Denon and Marantz are offering this year.  So far, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Sony have announced the 2014 mid-tier models.  As far as I know, only the Pioneers and Onkyos claim to have the newer 18 Gbps HDMI chips in them.  And of those, I think only one model (believe it was the Onkyo 636) said that it was HDCP 2.2 compliant.  If Denon and Marantz do not offer both of those things in any of their models, then I think the choice comes down to whether or not you see yourself making the move to 4K any time soon.  If so, then the choice is easy...Onkyo  or wait until next year.  If you do not see yourself making the move to 4K in the next few years then I would currently be leaning towards the Sony (but that is just my personal preference, at this moment).  However, I would still not make that purchase until you have seen what Denon and Marantz have to offer.  They might have the 18 Gbps chips and HDCP 2.2, in which case they might be the best choice for someone looking to get into 4K.  Or they might not, but might still offer some features that would put them ahead of the Sony for those not looking to get into 4K any time soon.

post #21 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

Can someone explain to me how this is any different from my Denon 3311 that can decode up to 24/192 and lossless formats? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be a trolly douche.

Legitimate question. After hearing Sony's description during their trainings and during CES, I don't see any difference between the Sony's approach vs anybody else's hi-res approach.

my home theatre

post #22 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is a hi res audio system with a low res analog stage. I've owned numerous Sony receivers, ES and non-ES, as well numerous Sony ES processors. None were better sounding than the likes of Arcam NAD, Carmbridge Soundworks or other units in its class.
post #23 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 139
How inflated to you think the wattage number is on these? That seems like an awful lot of juice for such a (relatively) paltry asking price.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #24 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

How inflated to you think the wattage number is on these? That seems like an awful lot of juice for such a (relatively) paltry asking price.

I thought they were high. On the Sony asia page for the 1050 it says it's 100w/ch at 6 ohms (2 ch driven) 20Hz to 20kHz at .09% THD; it also says 120 w/ch at 1kHz at 1% THD. http://www.sony-asia.com/product/str-dn1050

post #25 of 36 Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Does anyone know of there's a onscreen volume overlay graphic Last years models didn't have it and it seems such a oversight IMO.
post #26 of 36 Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Does anyone know of there's a onscreen volume overlay graphic Last years models didn't have it and it seems such a oversight IMO.

You can get an on screen volume indicator with the 1040 if you enable System Audio Control and your display supports it. I do and it works with my Vizio TV. The TV's speakers are off, but I can still adjust the volume from the surround speakers using either remote (TV or AVR) and it uses the TV's on-screen volume indicator graphic. Of course some folks don't like having CEC enabled due to the way it automatically changes inputs when you power a connected device on/off, even if you don't want it to. Hopefully, part of the CEC extensions they mention in the HDMI 2.0 spec will allow the user to customize how it works for future equipment.

I don't know if you can get an on- screen volume indicator for the 1050 if you don't enable System Audio Control.
post #27 of 36 Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 139
And 100 WPC at 6 ohms levels out to what, about roughly 80 at 8 ohms?

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #28 of 36 Old 04-26-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Ok, so has anyone tried any "HD" audio yet and how much of a noticeable improvement over CD sound quality is it (if any) for music?
post #29 of 36 Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
No preouts?
post #30 of 36 Old 04-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

No preouts?

Nobody makes an AV receiver with multi-channel pre-out at this price point anymore. Want multi-channel pre-outs on a Sony? You'll pay $2,100. Onkyo? You'll pay $1,100+. Denon/Marantz? You'll pay $850+. Pioneer Elite? $700+. There are some companies that make a pre/pro for around $500, but they do not have nearly as many features as these and you don't have the option to power your speakers without a separate amp(s), like you can with these.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page