Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #451 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Once you get past sitting 15 feet from a 27" screen or something similar, I don't see how anyone can think streaming, from any service, is "close to" blu-ray. It's simply not true. I like streaming services but prefer the best quality of available. I watched the first Hobbit on blu-ray and wanted to immediately see the second film, didn't own a copy so I streamed it from VUDU. It looked good but wasn't blu-ray quality by a long shot.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

You're misstating the analogy. Android offers a RANGE of choices ( IOW, everything from Corollas to 911s, to use your words). And yes, it's perfectly reasonable for someone to think a Corolla fits his needs better than a 911 when thinking about things such as price, reliability, etc. and not just 0-60 times and cornering ability.
IOS apps crash more often than Android apps, so I don't see what point you're making.
Market share doesn't grow if people are dissatisfied with a product.
I said save for practicality, and also said you knew what I meant. A car is judged on engineering first. A Yugo was practical and affordable, but was a horrible car. You have no argument that the Corolla is BETTER than the 911; making yourself look bad here.

iOS apps crash more? That's conjecture with likely little evidence to sustain the statement. Plus, apps are developed by 3rd party; usually the same develop for both platforms. I was speaking of platform framework, which is where reliability lies.

Market share does grow when people are dissatisfied, it's called lack of competition, or monopoly, or Wal-Mart. Few people like cable, but their market share could theoretically increase, but that's likely due to the fact that people want to watch pay TV and there may be no other choice. Sat isn't available to everyone.

Anyway, the point is about Sony and it's flaws dealing with Blu-Ray and stubbornness towards the consumer. If you like Android and Google, great. I love my Macs, not worried about anything else because they never die. Typing on a newer model now, but have 2 others at home. One is over 10 and still in use almost as good as new.
post #453 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Guess I will through my 2 cents in.

First I have to say that pricing is all over the place and could drive a person crazy! Why is it cheaper for me to buy a BRD at Walmart with a UV copy than it is to buy the digital copy from Amazon or Vudu? Why is it cheaper to rent a BRD from Redbox than it is to rent the same movie from Amazon or Vudu? Or better yet why is it cheaper for me to go and watch a movie in the movie theater (I can watch most movies opening day for $5.50 in a Cinemark (Tinseltown) Stadium theater or for $1-2 in another Cinemark theater once they go to DVD/BRD) than it is to rent it from Amazon or Vudu? Not to mention how cheap it is if one is willing to wait until a movie shows up on Netflix, Amazon Prime Streaming, or Redbox streaming.

I certainly hope BRD and 4K BRD continue on as there are still many of us that do not have access to reliable high speed Internet. I only have one choice 6Mbps service from Frontier, which NEVER can maintain more than 1-2Mbps in the evening so streaming rentals from Vudu is normally SD if at all - at least for rentals from Amazon I can download them to my TiVo so if I pre-plan I can rent in HD.
post #454 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Once you get past sitting 15 feet from a 27" screen or something similar, I don't see how anyone can think streaming, from any service, is "close to" blu-ray. It's simply not true. I like streaming services but prefer the best quality of available. I watched the first Hobbit on blu-ray and wanted to immediately see the second film, didn't own a copy so I streamed it from VUDU. It looked good but wasn't blu-ray quality by a long shot.

Yeah,... exactly. I was excited to pre-order a movie at Walmart and have access to the UV early but then when I watched the UV I felt I was robbing myself of some quality and couldn't wait for the blu to arrive after.
TSHA222 likes this.
post #455 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

A Yugo was practical and affordable, but was a horrible car.
What does that have to do with the Corolla? It's well known for its dependability as well as its low cost, virtues which make it appeal to a lot more people than a 911.
Quote:
iOS apps crash more? That's conjecture with likely little evidence to sustain the statement.
Actually, it was you who implied IOS is more stable without citing evidence to back it up (which is what I did).
Quote:
Market share does grow when people are dissatisfied, it's called lack of competition, or monopoly
What does that have to do with the smartphone market? You think Android has a "monopoly"?
Quote:
I love my Macs, not worried about anything else because they never die.
Macs aren't the only reliable computers.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #456 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I'm not naive, but that goes both ways. The law is real. Copying a disc is illegal. Ergo, you don't own the data on the disc.

Then why do I always hear the commercials say "Own it today on Blu Ray and DVD"????
barrelbelly likes this.
post #457 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Then why do I always hear the commercials say "Own it today on Blu Ray and DVD"????

You might want to sit down for this, but marketing hyperbole sometimes doesn't run 100% with the fine print. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 •
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #458 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Because they are parsing their words to make it sound more appealing.  You have to define what "it" means in the above quote.  Does it mean the movie itself?  Or is it merely the rights to watch the movie on the disc, provided you abide by all relevant copyright laws?

post #459 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Because it's marketing and they want you to think that, so you part with your money. If you owned the movie, then you could copy it freely, give it to your friends, show it in your house while charging money for it, etc.

You own a right to use it with severe restrictions. You are discouraged from making a backup copy due to copyright laws, so if after the return period, it stops playing, you are out of luck.

The disk is the container for the movie and really the only thing you own. When it is gone, so is your right to the movie.

At least this is what the studios want to define it as, and because of political influence and changes to copyright laws, this is being held up in the movie industry. In the music industry, the ability to copy music is available for things you've paid for.
post #460 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Well you "OWN" the disc you can do with it what you want. Once you buy it its "yours" to do what ever you want you can burn it if you want. Thats what they mean with "owning" it. You can watch the movie til you go blind or you can let it sit on a shelf for all eternity. Physical is owning the blu ray where the movie is on and watch 1000 times. Digital is not owning
post #461 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post

Well you "OWN" the disc you can do with it what you want. Once you buy it its "yours" to do what ever you want you can burn it if you want. Thats what they mean with "owning" it. You can watch the movie til you go blind or you can let it sit on a shelf for all eternity. Physical is owning. Digital is not owning

The message from the FBI at the beginning of movies clearly states otherwise. With DVD and Blu-ray, you "own" a limited personal use license for the content and a piece of plastic, that's about it.

chirpie and TowerGrove like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #462 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post

Well you "OWN" the disc you can do with it what you want. Once you buy it its "yours" to do what ever you want you can burn it if you want. Thats what they mean with "owning" it. You can watch the movie til you go blind or you can let it sit on a shelf for all eternity. Physical is owning the blu ray where the movie is on and watch 1000 times. Digital is not owning

Actually, legally speaking, you are not supposed to copy/rip it, even for your own personal use.  However, I don't think anybody is going to get arrested for doing so, unless they start selling the copies in large quantities.

post #463 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Market share would still grow, especially at the price of entry. Android can be had for VERY cheap across a massive range of products. iOS by comparison cannot. Apple limits its hardware/software because it wants to ensure a level of performance. If you want to go outside of what they are trying to achieve in terms of synergy between hardware/software you can go to Android (we've seen how this plays out with Android apps and their EXTREME hit or miss nature, never mind their hardware) or jailbreak. This reminds me of cars, most manufacturers make a car with a certain build. You of course can "modify" such build to your liking but at some point it voids the companies agreements to help you. They were trying to build a car that would well given the synergy of parts. There is a reason so many people like Apple and the popular modo "it just works". That is what you're investing in. If you want customization to extremes you go elsewhere (and there is nothing wrong with that at all). But saying that Android dominates the market share because Apple has a walled garden is ridiculous, they are almost completely different business models in every single way. I honestly don't think Apple cares at all about the market share numbers as that is a losing battle given the distribution model they are targeting.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #464 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

The message from the FBI at the beginning of movies clearly states otherwise. With DVD and Blu-ray, you "own" a limited personal use license for the content and a piece of plastic, that's about it.
Really? It can be resold. Can your digital "downloads"?
StinDaWg and mo949 like this.
post #465 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Actually, legally speaking, you are not supposed to copy/rip it, even for your own personal use.  However, I don't think anybody is going to get arrested for doing so, unless they start selling the copies in large quantities.
The restriction on copying and sharing one's Blu Ray is an example of a mala prohibita law, ie something that's illegal simply because a legislative body says it is. It is NOT a mala in se offense, ie an offense that people know to be inherently immoral (such as robbing someone at gunpoint).
mo949 likes this.
post #466 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Really? It can be resold. Can your digital "downloads"?

The disk can be resold, it along with the license to use the movie that goes with it. If the disk breaks, goes bad, etc.. you can't then sell the license to use. It's gone along with the plastic.

The digital downloads, like the license to view by itself (without the disk) can't be sold.
post #467 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

(we've seen how this plays out with Android apps and their EXTREME hit or miss nature, never mind their hardware)
As I pointed out, Android apps don't crash more often than IOS apps. The opposite is the case.
Quote:
I honestly don't think Apple cares at all about the market share numbers as that is a losing battle given the distribution model they are targeting.
They don't care in the same sense that makers of Swiss watches no longer "care" about accurate time keeping. I remember a time when Iphone owners LIKED to mention market share, because it was once in their favor. Obviously, Apple has to care about market share getting TOO small, otherwise they become irrelevant.
post #468 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

The disk can be resold, it along with the license to use the movie that goes with it. If the disk breaks, goes bad, etc.. you can't then sell the license to use. It's gone along with the plastic.

The digital downloads, like the license to view by itself (without the disk) can't be sold.
Whatever, it's a piece of physical property that can be sold, loaned, borrowed, or anything else you want to do with it. That's worth a lot more than some imaginary file I might have the rights to watch in the future that I can't sell or even will to someone else.
StinDaWg and mredman like this.
post #469 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Quote:

The restriction on copying and sharing one's Blu Ray is an example of a mala prohibita law, ie something that's illegal simply because a legislative body says it is. It is NOT a mala in se offense, ie an offense that people know to be inherently immoral (such as robbing someone at gunpoint).

It's also a felony, not a misdemeanor. For whatever that's worth. 

post #470 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't change its mala prohibita nature.
post #471 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nothing, that's what it is worth. Just because big corporations buy off a few congresscritters and get favorable laws passed doesn't mean squat. It's also not automatically a felony. It starts out as a civil matter.
RobertR likes this.
post #472 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

So, would it be technically impossible (not just legally restricted) to physically ossess a copy of streaming material?
post #473 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 303
that talk is awesome!!

Ok, I admit it: I'm copy pasting a point of view I had in another thread, but I feel it's even more valid in here...Nothing scientific, purely emotional rant :

(here I slip in ) There was a time when I was jumping everywhere when my parents were telling me : we are going to the videoclub!

A thing that I particularly miss is the anticipation and hope new releases would be still available at the club because even if they had 34 cassettes, people where rushing to them. Movie night was a happening rather than an habit.

I see it as trying to get with that chick you were eyeing for a long time : sometimes you were disappointed , even after much efforts. But man, when it worth the wait... It was instant life lasting memories.

A part of the fun of hitting on hot chicks is the "hunt" and waiting to pick your spots. Now cinema is like easy chicks everywhere: you get bored easily.

Don't mistake me: having everything available on demand is fun. But I'm finding myself to watch a lot less movies I enjoy per ratio /watched than before. Since everything is available, we choose anything, and there's no " waiting " envy build up... I watch more movies than ever, and I feel I don't find any much good movies than before... And the sheer quantity gets me lazy and more easily bored...

So I say a big HURRAY for physical media, with it's advantages and pissmeoff factors!! Ok, now let's buy some more blu-rays biggrin.gif
mredman likes this.

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #474 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 303
and add to the fact that I could never legally give all my movies/albums to my kids as an heritage makes me kinda cringe too. , unless I bought them physically...

Pay once, get b**t ravaged more than once by not being able to legally be the owner of it.

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #475 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing, that's what it is worth. Just because big corporations buy off a few congresscritters and get favorable laws passed doesn't mean squat. It's also not automatically a felony. It starts out as a civil matter.

It would be nice if movies could get a DCMA exemption. I think that's one thing that could make the whole "ownership" issue word in Blu-ray's favor, because it would be cheap and legal to build cheap Blu-ray and DVD servers. The HTPC wouldn't be such an outcast, and everybody would be happy.

TeflonSoul likes this.

post #476 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Whatever, it's a piece of physical property that can be sold, loaned, borrowed, or anything else you want to do with it. That's worth a lot more than some imaginary file I might have the rights to watch in the future that I can't sell or even will to someone else.

I bolded the last part because it's true and I'm not sure how many people realize it.  If you buy a digital copy today, your spouse & kids are allowed to watch it so long as you "own" the rights to watch it.  If you die tomorrow, technically, you no longer "own" the rights and they cannot be transferred to your spouse or kids, whereas your DVD/Blu-Ray collection could be.

That said, I don't think the studios have anybody going thru the obituaries to figure out who died so that can rescind those rights.  So, your spouse kids, could probably get away with watching your digital copies after you die, so long as they remember the password to your account. :D

Aarghon likes this.
post #477 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It would be nice if movies could get a DCMA exemption. I think that's one thing that could make the whole "ownership" issue word in Blu-ray's favor, because it would be cheap and legal to build cheap Blu-ray and DVD servers. The HTPC wouldn't be such an outcast, and everybody would be happy.
I'd prefer that the entire DMCA be repealed.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #478 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Quote:

I bolded the last part because it's true and I'm not sure how many people realize it.  If you buy a digital copy today, your spouse & kids are allowed to watch it so long as you "own" the rights to watch it.  If you die tomorrow, technically, you no longer "own" the rights and they cannot be transferred to your spouse or kids, whereas your DVD/Blu-Ray collection could be.

That said, I don't think the studios have anybody going thru the obituaries to figure out who died so that can rescind those rights.  So, your spouse kids, could probably get away with watching your digital copies after you die, so long as they remember the password to your account. :D

Ultraviolet accounts can have up to six members.

post #479 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ultraviolet accounts can have up to six members.

It's been a while since I read the fine print.  Do all 6 people have equal rights, or, is the account creator the primary holder and the other 5 only retain their rights so long as the primary does?

post #480 of 1394 Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post

What if you just store the disks in a card file drawer in a nice flat tyvek sleeve and store the cases in a storage unit.  If you get CD/DVD sleeves with a window they're "self labeling". http://www.wayfair.com/Leslie-Dame-Enterprises-Library-Style-24-Drawer-Multimedia-Cabinet-CD-288-LE1079.html, holds 288 CDs but I'll bet you can put 4 or 5 times that many disks without the case.
Library%2BStyle%2B24%2BDrawer%2BMultimedia%2BCabinet.jpg

I only buy what I'll watch a couple times a year or more and Netflix the rest.  RedBox is an option as well if it's in your area, they are a vending machine rental device so you don't even have to wait.  Find a RedBox machine with the show you want and drive to it to get your show...sorry, not RedBox in Alberta, maybe there's something like it by a different name, or even the same company just a Canada version.

Certainly not a bad idea about the storage, but mostly I like to see the movies in their original cases for some reason. Several years ago before it closed, I used to work at a small mom & pop video store, and when the store had old stock they no longer wanted, we as employees got to take the movies home to keep. Also, when the store closed it's doors, we were allowed to take a shopping bag home each full of movies of our choice. Some of these movies no longer had the original case and were just in a small clear case big enough to hold a disc, so I took these movies and put them into CD wallets. Also I went through my collection of DVD's here at home and also removed the cover and cases from movies that were not my favorites (I kept the covers though).

I have seen movie vending machines in grocery stores!
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page