Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #721 of 1364 Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, that's the other thing, glad you brought it up. How many really want all that extra stuff? Just sell us BDs at the same price as the older formats and they'll sell a lot better.

The standard of living among the middle class in the U.S. is falling and the folks just don't have the money to buy this stuff like they used to. Sony needs to recognize that if they want to continue to sell BD.

BD is a huge improvement over the old 480P when watched on these larger, higher resolution TVs.

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1364 Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The movie industry is in a constant pricing flux, all of it designed to get the maximum $$ possible from the public.

Start with movie theaters, I will use the Amazing Spider-Man 2 as an example today at one movie theater I have these choices and prices all dependent on what time I want to watch the movie:
  1. Regular movie: $5.50, $7.50, & $10,00
  2. 3D version: $9.00, $11.00 & $13.50
  3. IMAX version: $14.00 & $14.75

For rentals I have can rent from Vudu or Amazon and a newer released HD movie is going to be around $5.00 - the same movie on BRD at Redbox will be $1.50 or less.

If I want to purchase a movie the closer to release date the higher the price, there maybe a time when purchasing the digital copy will be less than the BRD other times the BRD with a UV copy is the same or even less. A good example of this is Veronica Mars I can purchase the digital HD copy right now at Vudu or Amazon for $14.99 or I can buy the BRD with UV code from Amazon for the same $14.99 with free shipping, and when it was released they wanted $7.00 just to rent it.

I recently purchased 10 BRDs of older movies from Walmart on line that cost $58 total with tax and shipping and have done the same from Warner Brothers site and had the cost be below $5/movie again all on BRD.

So the reality is they can sell these to use at pretty much any price they want, the reason they cost so much is because enough people are willing to pay it.
post #723 of 1364 Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
atmusky you can also buy the HDX digital download of "Veronica Mars" from one of the sites I posted a few pages back for 8.50 For me that is one of those movies you'll maybe watch just once or twice so maybe worth paying for just the digital download.
post #724 of 1364 Old 05-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
I don't believe Blu-ray is doomed.

I do think however that (as others have pointed out also) recent sales figures show that - just as we saw with CDs, consumers won't tolerate ridiculous, excessive pricing / price gouging - regardless of whether the format is physical, or a binary download.

Once prices come down to reality, demand will pick up. Just as was the case with CDs.
Acute likes this.
post #725 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

I still think blaming Sony is looking past the true source of this, and that's the studios. This isn't Sony gouging you on Blu-ray multi-packs to sell their streamers, it's the studios getting you to buy into streaming, so when physical media goes away, they can bump up the price of the digital options.

Sony is "the studios": Sony Pictures, MGM, Columbia, TriStar, Mandalay, Screen Gems, United Artists, Orion (MGM)/Filmways/American International Pictures (?), and probably a few others.

What I have noticed is that BD prices have gone from about $19.99 average to $22.99 to $24.99 on release day (some coming in at $27.99 ***cough*** "Gravity" ***cough***) and then another $10 a week later. I refuse to buy beyond the $20 price. Most 3D movies in my area are $39.99, on average. I would rather wait 6 months and then buy the BDs for $6 apiece at my local pawn shop. DVD prices have gone from $14.99 to $19.99. People know that they can wait a few months and then pick them up for $5 in the WalMart bargain bin. (My local pawn shop has used DVDs for $1 apiece on Fridays.) I rent my movies (local rental store) before buying, preferring to pay $1 to rent than $25 to buy and then find that I don't like it ("Moon," "Alternate Earth"). Bought "the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" when it came out at $27.99 and now find that they are coming out with the Extended version. Go to Amazon and look up that title... $9.99 for a download. $17.99 for HD version. Hmmm. Why bother? NetFlix doesn't have the quality, RedBox doesn't have the quantity.

What I blame Sony & Disney for is DRM. The Will Smith movie, "After Earth" was unwatchable due to the noises my PS3 made due to DRM. 5 minutes in I ejected it and have no desire to see it on BD.

Disney has always had higher prices for their movies, too. "Captain America" is still selling for $29.99 in my area (Fry Electronics, WalMart, Target, BestBuy). I bought the BD for $6 at the pawn shop. "The Incredibles" BD? $34.99.

If DVDs and BDs are dying it's because of the prices and DRM.

10 years from now the movie theatres will probably be non-existent and they will be streamed to everyone's TV sets directly. For $25 a pop. Basically Pay-Per-View. Remember when one was able to see all the boxing fights for free? They went to PPV and now no one knows who the champ is, if boxing hasn't died out completely. Next up will be making all sports PPV. It's all about greed.
TeflonSoul, Skytrooper and Acute like this.
post #726 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
I agree. Blame the fallout from the economic crisis.
post #727 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I think the flagging sales have more to do with an entire generation of new consumers weaned off physical media than any secular economic issues. Physical formats were always built off the assumption that each new generation would get into purchasing content as their life situation changed. The streaming generation on the younger side of the Millennials sees no need to buy that shiny, expensive BD off the shelf, when they consume most movies through Netflix for a pittance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #728 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I think the flagging sales have more to do with an entire generation of new consumers weaned off physical media than any secular economic issues. Physical formats were always built off the assumption that each new generation would get into purchasing content as their life situation changed. The streaming generation on the younger side of the Millennials sees no need to buy that shiny, expensive BD off the shelf, when they consume most movies through Netflix for a pittance.

Well, I agree! The new generation ( and also parts of former generations) are really more attracted by convenience than by performance. They have the right to, and they are as much as correct than physical media lovers are.

The Ipod and Iphone ( and to be honest, all smart phones too) changed the face of technology forever, and there is no turning back... It opened the eyes of many people about what media convenience could become! And made them aware of the benefits they could get by sacrificing a little quality for overall friendliness!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #729 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

Well, I agree! The new generation ( and also parts of former generations) are really more attracted by convenience than by performance. They have the right to, and they are as much as correct than physical media lovers are.

The Ipod and Iphone ( and to be honest, all smart phones too) changed the face of technology forever, and there is no turning back... It opened the eyes of many people about what media convenience could become! And made them aware of the benefits they could get by sacrificing a little quality for overall friendliness!
The thing is, I buy physical media just to get the most convenience. I have a disc to keep with the best quality that I can play without an internet connection. Then, even if I don't get a digital copy, I can make my own that I can use and play however and whenever I choose. I never have to worry that any of it will disappear if some studio opts to no longer provide it.

post #730 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I think instead of trying to force what the industry had planned in the past, it might be best if the industry goes with the public demand. The public wants inexpensive and instant streaming options. There is no reason why a multitude of streaming quality options couldn't be made available to the consumer. Everything from 4k to uncompressed audio like Dolby True-HD. A Blu-Ray experience is definitely attainable thru streaming. Vudu right now is doing a good job and an example of what is possible to satisfy the majority of people.

Disc based formats are going to die off. Data/streaming based formats are going to replace it. Take PC Gaming as an example. I have LONG SINCE stopped buying games on disc-based formats and do all my game buying and installing through download-interface formats like STEAM and Origin's console. The convenience and the ability to buy my games while browsing for them "on-demand" simply makes my time spent on certain things in a day more 'efficient'. People want to make their lives more 'efficient' so they can experience more and fit more into the course of a day's time. We are a fast-moving, on-demand culture. At the same time, there is no reason we must sacrifice quality.

I still buy Blu-Rays even though I badly want an online downloading experience for my movies (or on-demand streaming). I want to support the movie industry and always end up converting/encoding my Blu-Rays into compressed computer files with high bitrate video and DTS audio. I keep only a 'few' movies uncompressed on my hard drive in full video/full audio.

My Home Theater PC is is a marvelous thing. I can watch Netflix now in Windows 8 with full 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus Audio. It's not nearly as good as the movies I compress but it's good for television shows and some basic dramas and the B-movies that I don't care to buy but still want to watch.

I don't have cable-tv anymore. Ditched it. It's worthless with all the dumb reality TV shows and propaganda cable news networks. Now I'm fully "Online" with my Home Theater PC and over the air antenna. My Blu-Ray collection is largely collecting dust and I'm likely going to sell off the discs as soon as I get them all encoded in the best quality I can tolerate.
post #731 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM

IMO, All blu ray Discs are WAY Overpriced ! At age 57 Im happy as a Clam with Regular DVDs and HD TVs. Ive had a Samsung blu ray player for a year and never have played a blu ray disc on it, even to compare, because I just cant see spending that much on a movie I watch 1 maybe 3 times and have it collect dust on the shelf. 

post #732 of 1364 Old 05-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I've noticed several people here are keeping up the trend of pointing out the cheap prices for downloads, streaming, and rentals of movies as compared to Blu-ray. I've stated numerous times and I'll say it again:

If people think their going to continue to get these services for peanuts, your in for a big surprise. I can assure everyone when, and I certainly hope not, physical media dries up because of this change, the Studios are not about to lose that income base and prices for these services will soar to the point that people will wish they didn't push the demise of physical media so hard. Mark my words, its coming.
post #733 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

Sony is "the studios": Sony Pictures, MGM, Columbia, TriStar, Mandalay, Screen Gems, United Artists, Orion (MGM)/Filmways/American International Pictures (?), and probably a few others.

What I have noticed is that BD prices have gone from about $19.99 average to $22.99 to $24.99 on release day (some coming in at $27.99 ***cough*** "Gravity" ***cough***) and then another $10 a week later. I refuse to buy beyond the $20 price. Most 3D movies in my area are $39.99, on average. I would rather wait 6 months and then buy the BDs for $6 apiece at my local pawn shop. DVD prices have gone from $14.99 to $19.99. People know that they can wait a few months and then pick them up for $5 in the WalMart bargain bin. (My local pawn shop has used DVDs for $1 apiece on Fridays.) I rent my movies (local rental store) before buying, preferring to pay $1 to rent than $25 to buy and then find that I don't like it ("Moon," "Alternate Earth"). Bought "the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" when it came out at $27.99 and now find that they are coming out with the Extended version. Go to Amazon and look up that title... $9.99 for a download. $17.99 for HD version. Hmmm. Why bother? NetFlix doesn't have the quality, RedBox doesn't have the quantity.

What I blame Sony & Disney for is DRM. The Will Smith movie, "After Earth" was unwatchable due to the noises my PS3 made due to DRM. 5 minutes in I ejected it and have no desire to see it on BD.

Disney has always had higher prices for their movies, too. "Captain America" is still selling for $29.99 in my area (Fry Electronics, WalMart, Target, BestBuy). I bought the BD for $6 at the pawn shop. "The Incredibles" BD? $34.99.

If DVDs and BDs are dying it's because of the prices and DRM.

10 years from now the movie theatres will probably be non-existent and they will be streamed to everyone's TV sets directly. For $25 a pop. Basically Pay-Per-View. Remember when one was able to see all the boxing fights for free? They went to PPV and now no one knows who the champ is, if boxing hasn't died out completely. Next up will be making all sports PPV. It's all about greed.

Totally agree. It's all just greed, greed, greed. And governments with regulations to help enrich the greedy capitalists.

Like you, I refuse to pay $20 and above for any regular blu-ray. We all should do the same. And Disney, man, they really know how to milk desperate parents wanting to satisfy their kids for the same-old-s*** kiddy movies.

Used to watch World Cup and F1 free on TV. Now they want more than $100 to watch World Cup. Forget it, I've decided. I don't need to watch the World Cup.
post #734 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightsandsounds View Post

IMO, All blu ray Discs are WAY Overpriced ! At age 57 Im happy as a Clam with Regular DVDs and HD TVs. Ive had a Samsung blu ray player for a year and never have played a blu ray disc on it, even to compare, because I just cant see spending that much on a movie I watch 1 maybe 3 times and have it collect dust on the shelf. 

Ignorance is bliss I suppose. tongue.gif

I disagree that they are WAY overpriced. Some are, but Blu Rays can be had for $5 - $8 new only a few months after release. In the past year I have bought World War Z, Amazing Spiderman, Le miserables, Life of Pi, X men 1st class, and many, many more for $8 or less.

Compare buying a blu ray for <$8 to spending $4.50 + gas and an hour and a half of my evening to drive to Blockbuster to rent a movie on DVD that you then have to drive back to return in 4 days. rolleyes.gif We have it much better now than 10 years ago.

It does take some vigilance in searching for deals, but that's how I get my retail therapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acute View Post

Totally agree. It's all just greed, greed, greed. And governments with regulations to help enrich the greedy capitalists.

Like you, I refuse to pay $20 and above for any regular blu-ray. We all should do the same. And Disney, man, they really know how to milk desperate parents wanting to satisfy their kids for the same-old-s*** kiddy movies.

Used to watch World Cup and F1 free on TV. Now they want more than $100 to watch World Cup. Forget it, I've decided. I don't need to watch the World Cup.

Disney is out of this world expensive. I blame grandparents. tongue.gif Who else is paying $40 for a movie?

Target recently had all the recent animated movies on sale for $13. I splurged and bought up 5 of them while they were hot. I did feel a little dirty paying that much, but I got kids to entertain. biggrin.gif
post #735 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I feel like bluray discs are priced ok. If they didn't include the DVD copies do you think they would really drop the price much? I'm guessing that costs less than $1 to include. I don't use them, but I can see for a family with kids where there is value. I do wish that bluray only copies did exist for more films - I just don't see the price coming down.

I remember going into Suncoast Video or Media Play looking for a movie only to see the DVD was $40. And that was 1998-2002 dollars.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #736 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I do wish that bluray only copies did exist for more films - I just don't see the price coming down.

They do, and they are usually $4.99 - $7.99 in the bargain bin. First release get's all the extra's. When it comes time to make the last few pennies off of a movie they skip the "free" DVD, UV, Digital Copy, etc. So if you want to pay less for "Blu Ray only" you just have to wait a year or two after release. wink.gif

With economy of scale, I don't think a stripped down Blu Ray on release day would cost any less, and the store shelf real estate of having 3 versions (1 disk, 2 disk, 3D) would drive the cost up further.

The answer is for DVD to just hurry up and die. tongue.gif
post #737 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I feel like bluray discs are priced ok. If they didn't include the DVD copies do you think they would really drop the price much? I'm guessing that costs less than $1 to include. I don't use them, but I can see for a family with kids where there is value. I do wish that bluray only copies did exist for more films - I just don't see the price coming down.

I remember going into Suncoast Video or Media Play looking for a movie only to see the DVD was $40. And that was 1998-2002 dollars.

I've seen Blu-ray only discs available on release day, along with the Blu-ray/dvd combos, & dvd only copies. When I buy Blu-ray's, I have a preference toward the combo packs, just because there's 1 TV with a DVD player. Some movies are still not available on Blu-ray, & I still buy the DVD copy. I however don't like Blu-ray as much, because of the DRM on it, & that it always wants updated software (on my laptop) & firmware, that the Blu-ray sometimes doesn't play, & must get the DVD copy out to watch. I had hoped HD-DVD would have won, because I heard it wasn't going to require constant updating, like Blu-ray seems to do. While I don't know how true the rumor is, but supposedly, Sony paid off the studios to go with the format, in order to finally get a format in the mass, & won, but losing in the long run. I waited until the format war was settled before buying any movies on an HD format. I don't know if Toshiba is still planning to continue developing physical formats, but around the time they lost the HD-DVD war, that they were planning to make movies available on memory cards. I hope that one does come true, so that the predictions on streaming services eliminating the physical disc format doesn't disappear. I would also like to have it on the go too, & portable. For me, I don't have a fast enough internet connection to do major streaming. I barely can watch youtube videos on my internet connection.

As for the studios setting the prices, someone mentioning Walt Disney, & they're the worst of the worst on prices staying high. Another problem with Walt Disney too, is that they make their movies available for a limited time, then put the movies back in the vault for another 7 years, keeping most of their movies priced high. Once in a while, I've been lucky to find an occasional Disney movie available for under $10 at Walmart, or even $5 at Five Below (a regional store that sells stuff for $5.00 or less). The other studios are just as guilty, but the other studios keep their movies out on disc longer, & allow the movies to eventually drop in price. Sony also seems to keep the prices somewhat high too (especially on the Blu-ray discs) on their own movies.
post #738 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Funny, but I foul couldn't tell you the last time I had to update my blu ray player. In the beginning of the format, yes but everything lately that I throw in the player works fine.
post #739 of 1364 Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The purchase of a Blu Ray Player should not require a internet connection.

The studios got too paranoid over copying. I remember VHS tape's picture tearing at the top caused by Copy Protection.

What happened to the good old days when you could buy a record album and record it on 8 Track or Cassette, share it with your friends and vice versa? I don't remember the record companies ever complaining about that practice.

I wonder if Copy Protection were removed, what would happen. Would sales go up or down?
StinDaWg likes this.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #740 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

I wonder if Copy Protection were removed, what would happen. Would sales go up or down?
When apple removed DRM from their music downloads I believe sales went up.

Edit: Yup

http://torrentfreak.com/what-piracy-removing-drm-boosts-music-sales-by-10-percent-131130/
post #741 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

On discs?

At this point, I doubt it would make a difference. Most people have a prefence for either discs or streaming. Those that want streaming aren't likely to buy discs just because the DRM is removed. They don't want the discs and the Netflix streaming crowd is less likely to want to buy anything period. Renting is fine for them.

If you're talking streaming, then you'd likely see more buying. I know I'd buy more streaming titles if they weren't so locked down just because it would be quicker and easier to get them on my tablet to travel with. Sure, I could make those versions myself from the discs, but if I buy them from a place like Amazon, they're already made and they provide backup storage for me.

Those still wouldn't be my primary viewing copies, but at thois point, I'm not buying anything that I can't rip and move to any device I want, especially considering how often "digital" versions fail to play nice with Android.

post #742 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

When apple removed DRM from their music downloads I believe sales went up.

Edit: Yup

http://torrentfreak.com/what-piracy-removing-drm-boosts-music-sales-by-10-percent-131130/

Somehow I suspect a website called torrentfreak.com would make such a claim.
post #743 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

I would agree, but the argument comes from a thesis by a PhD student. So it at least has gone through a critical cycle as she defended her thesis to her professors.

She notes the effect of removing DRM by several labels did increase sales overall by 10%. One of her hypothesis for the result (the 10% increase is real) is that the distribution of music by pirating exposes the public to new artists and ultimately promotes sales by those artists. So this acted as a 'preview' that led to interest in the lesser known artist and purchase of more music from those artists.

She saw that the sales of well known artists did not improve, but remained steady (it did not lose, either), but that lesser known artists or catalog artists (older releases) sales improved by 30%.

To quote her:

“Relaxing sharing restrictions does not impact all albums equally; it increases the sales of lower-selling albums (the “long tail”) significantly by 30% but does not benefit top-selling albums. My results are consistent with theory that shows lowering search costs can facilitate the discovery of niche products.”

Another site referring to her study
StinDaWg and TeflonSoul like this.
post #744 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but i did not have time to read all the pages of content.  I just bought an HDTV set - my first - I don't know when 'll be able to afford a player, but we'll see.  

In the past, I bought DVD's.  When they started the BR/HD war and I didn't have the equipment, DVD's still worked.  But then, after BR won out, eventually the greedy ******* started releasing DVD's without the extras - or at least all the extras - that a BR had in a more expensive combo pack.  Then the DVD by itself didn't have all the extras the BR had. That helped bring back the rage the practice of releasing a DVD and then months later, releasing an extended cut caused.  What, DVD5 discs are too expensive to add so the DVD buyer gets all the BR buyer gets?  

I'm not only not rich, I'm not comfortably well off or even have the possibility of becoming that.   I'll skip the rant about the economy and corporations that's starting to gurgle in my throat, but they've lost - if they ever had it - the understanding of the buying power of the people.

I love anime and always see the reason it's so expensive over here is that the Japanese are used to getting much less for far more than (the) US and if they brought the prices down here like American movies and TV series, the Japanese would import them instead of buying domestically.  I can grasp that.  But maybe they'd sell more if they lowered their prices.  But that requires a huge change in thinking and I doubt it's ever going to happen until the next revolution.

post #745 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

If the industry wants to make streaming work, here is what they need to do (in addition to infrastructure changes that the studios have no control over):

Rentals are good for as many watches as you can stand in 7 days. I could do that with blockbuster back in the day, why do I have only 24hrs and 1 playback now?
Rental price on release month set at $X, say $6 since that's what it is now. After release month it drops to $1.50. If redbox can do it, so can VuDu.
Give the option to "buy" the movie for an additional premium that is below the normal buy price after renting. This would incentivize renting through the cloud over buying a disk. If it was good I'll probably want to add it to the collection.

Buying prices:
Release week is a fixed $20.
Each week after release goes down $1 until week 10. Price stays at $10 to "own" until 1 year, where it drops to $8. Year 2 is $7, Year 3 is $6 Year 4+ is $5.
Automatically upgraded picture and sound quality as technology improves. I'm stuck with 1080p with my blurays. If UV auto upgraded to 4k that would be a selling point.

I'm not happy about the likely end of a disk based format, but I definitely see no reason to quit buying disks the way things are now.
Aarghon likes this.
post #746 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 AM

Liked: 43
The barrier to streaming as a dominant media is the internet infrastructure itself -- much of the nation still has broadband that is not streaming worthy especially cable modems at peak times. A lot of that could be mitigated if they would build decent buffers into streaming devices -- nothing transferable for copyright protection, but enough to smooth over the lags. It would require waiting for a movie to load for a bit, or if bandwidth permits filling the buffer in the background while viewing.

That would change the game greatly.
atmusky likes this.
post #747 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20

^^^Don't forget the data caps many of us have to deal with.

One thing that will keep discs going is services like Amazon's on demand disc service where they burn the DVD (and probably eventually Blu-ray) for you and send it to you.  For those of us in areas where streaming is unlikely to come services like this will be around for some time as long as there are enough people in underserved bandwidth areas whose only option is disc.  The price needs to come down a bit (more like $10 than the current $17 I usually see) but IF discs do start to die out services like this will probably remain for some time while the bandwidth divide still remains.  This might also be a viable solution for UHD/4k where you need a really really good connection, in a few years (after a 4k disc standard gets set) there may be a good demand for UHD/4k discs as more and more people buy replacement sets with 4k and then find their previously ok internet connection can't handle 4k.

I personally can stream SD in the middle of the night, but I'm lucky I have an old grandfathered connection that gets me unlimited internet on 4g for $30/mo.  Most people around here pay either for $60/mo unlimited service that will not promise it is fast enough for streaming (it's a wireless service too) or they pay near $100/mo for a 10GB limit for 4g (which as I said can do SD, and sometimes HD, but during the day and prime time it subject to pauses).  There is no reason to believe that will change anytime soon: too few people spread out over too large an area.  Maybe if some new satellite company got going with unlimited fast connections (unlike current satellite which have pretty sever monthly caps).  Better wireless service is possible but there are a lot of dead areas due to mountains.  And this is not just limited to rural areas-- I see similar complaints from some city dwellers though population density may mean they are more likely to get something better sooner than as rural folks.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before I can only read back so many pages.

post #748 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Correction:

Sony has an excellent tradition of trying to create their own licensed formats that fail to gain traction compared to more ubiquitous options. Other examples include the Mini Disc, MicroMV and UMD.

Indeed.

Failed Sony Formats...
* Betamax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax
* MiniDisc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc
* HiFD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_HiFD
* SSDS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDDS
* BroadBand eBook http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader
* Memory Stick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick (almost dead)
* HDV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV dying
* Super Audio CD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD (not dead yet)
* Universal Media Disc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Media_Disc (dying)

Successful Sony Formats...
* CD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc
* Blu-ray http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Full list here
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_formats

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #749 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Guy View Post

I don't believe Blu-ray is doomed.

consumers won't tolerate ridiculous, excessive pricing / price gouging - regardless of whether the format is physical, or a binary download.

/sarcasm What!?!? You mean you don't like the "double-dipping" studios do for Theatrical, Extended, Gold, Platinum, Anniversary, etc., etc. editions on DVD / Blu-ray? ;-) *cough Peter Jackson and Co. cough*

dabotsonline and blacklion like this.

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #750 of 1364 Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

They didn't make the claim, just reported on the study.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page