Sony Blames Blu-ray for "Bag of Hurt" - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #1351 of 1354 Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
While the marketing guys are all busy blatantly hijacking 4K to mean horizontal resolution instead of the de facto standard vertical 2160p resolution, like 1080p, to artificially inflate specs to sell more TV's, us gamers are playing around with "8K horz" ...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/18...-in-the-future

1 GTX Titan owned, only 9 more to go. :-)

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1354 Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post
Now, when I play my Blu-ray on my turntable, which side gets the needle?
/Oblg. "Get off my LAN" grumpy old computer guy.
James Parsons likes this.

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #1353 of 1354 Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I never had any issues playing my BD of The Sound of Music. Whether I played the disc or the BD ISO rip it played fine.

I also had no issues with my LotR Triolgy BDs. I have no idea why you had those issues but that is not the norm. What kind of player were you using? Maybe that was the issue?

Unlike for DVDs, there is no BD player included with Windows. I tried using VLC Player, but that would not work. Now VLC has some BD support if you play around with it and have the right keys. But the keys also change. I recall getting VLC to work after some messing around with a rented BD (maybe Star Trek), but it would not then work with Sound Of Music and I stopped messing around with it.

In order to play BDs, you need a player that can handle the DRM, and that typically means paying for a player, or messing around with a free player getting it configured (and keeping keys up to date). Or you can buy/find software to hack the DRM and make a non-DRM copy. Maybe that is what you are doing, since you mention ripping a BD? The bottom line is that playing a BD is not simple like playing a DVD, and that is due to the DRM schemes. The web is full of people messing around trying to play BDs in their PCs and encountering various problems, so it is clearly an issue compared to the simplicity of playing a DVD.

For my part, if Sony et al is going to make it difficult to play BDs, not to mention the inconvenient of optical disks in this day and age, I won't use BDs. For the same reason, when I built a media PC for my parents, I didn't bother installing a BD player. I didn't want them calling me not able to play rented BDs. They have been fine with DVDs. In my opinion, DRM is one reason BD has problems for Sony. Make things more difficult on the consumer, and the consumer goes elsewhere or doesn't bother with your product.
mhobart likes this.
post #1354 of 1354 Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 614
The ripped BD ISOs have been stripped of encryption. But I know the Nero BD player will play a BD, with menus, with the original Blu-ray Disc and without AnyDVD HD running in the background.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page