Level 3 Says Six Broadband Providers Jam Traffic for Profit - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 101 Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Member
 
StevePMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Interesting I'm out of contract I just came off my one year discount price in Apr. and saw the increase (thats why I commented ) maybe I should look at something like you have . How long is the price guarantee you have 1 yr or more ? They no longer offer the 12mbps plan here .sounds like you have a pretty good deal for now not bad !
Anytime you can get something out of ATT you are doing something ☺
I imagine it's another 1 year deal. Not sure...
StevePMo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 101 Old 06-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Here's part of the continuing disscusion from Wired...


What Everyone Gets Wrong in the Debate Over Net Neutrality

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/net_neutrality_missing/


Cheers
dnoonie is offline  
post #93 of 101 Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
size14d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Here's part of the continuing disscusion from Wired...


What Everyone Gets Wrong in the Debate Over Net Neutrality

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/net_neutrality_missing/


Cheers
The idea that drives this article,

TeflonSoul likes this.
size14d is offline  
post #94 of 101 Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post
The idea that drives this article,
Thanks size14d. Good summary example.
Despite Legal Threats Google Begins Posting Warnings of ISP Throttling - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/Despite+Leg....MgkGhuXl.dpuf

"That page shows you statistics not only on your connection, but also chronological averages for your service provider at different times of day, for different kinds of content (e.g. low-quality, standard definition, and high definition). It also let's you compare that to other ISPs in your region or to ISPs in other regions - In many ways Google's approach seems superior to Netflix's. First, while it implies blame on certain miscreant ISPs, it doesn't directly say that -- hence limiting its legal liability. Second, by showing averaged historic data from multiple ISPs and different regions, it backs up its claims with hard data. The only way a particular ISP would be effectively "blamed" by Google's analysis would be if the charts showed it to be clearly inferior to its peers. - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/Despite+Leg....MgkGhuXl.dpuf
dnoonie is offline  
post #95 of 101 Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Member
 
Stewrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe is some of those big "near monopoly" providers quit paying so much for lobbyists and to politicians they could afford to upgrade their infrastructure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
The flipside is that it costs millions upon millions of dollars to buy, install, and keep a staff to run all the eq that is supposed to be passing all this traffic.

This business ain't cheap. When you're at capacity and can't afford upgrades, you're not really left with much choice. Private networks have to do it too, ya know.

So, in my opinion, some shoddy companies throttle, but most of the time, it's just bad capacity management causing the congestion - and getting really expensive to keep up with, what, close to 3 billion people using the internet.

Yeah, 3 billion people are expected to be online by the end of this year. That's as insane amount of traffic.

Oh yeah, I work for one of the Tier I providers, and while I'm no expert, I think there's a lot of hoodoovoodoo going on here. It's a bit more complicated than the "Dr. Evil is hitting the JAM THE INTERNET button and putting his pinky to his lip" conspiracy.
Dan Hitchman and dnoonie like this.
Stewrt is offline  
post #96 of 101 Old 08-04-2014, 03:51 AM
Senior Member
 
size14d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/30/fcc-th...tle-customers/


Excerpt:


Quote:
Following the recent revelation that Verizon Wireless would begin throttling some 4G LTE customers on unlimited data plans, FCC chairman Tom Wheeler has sent a letter to the carrier (full text below) expressing his disdain with the policy and question the necessity of throttling only customers on unlimited plans.
In the letter, Wheeler asks Verizon CEO Daniel Mead why exactly the company feels the need to only throttle customers on certain plans, rather than throttling based on the needs of the technology that powers the network. Wheeler says he is “deeply troubled” by Verizon’s claims that the policy is necessary to “optimize” the network, when in his opinion, it appears to more likely be a ploy to get customers off of unlimited plans.
size14d is offline  
post #97 of 101 Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Well as you can see with all the complaining I am doing on the Netflix Stream Quality thread I been having issues with Level 3. I can stream fine now no problems on any one of my six devices but after 7 PM EST congestion starts in then after 9 PM EST I start to get SD dropouts. I can get HD to play but then it drops down to SD and then ramps up to HD but usually only up there cruddy 720p. For the past couple of months after I had a 4 hour internet outage at 1 AM EST that caused my IP address to change I was always connecting to Netflix CDN in NYC where I only went though one Level 3 hop. Then after the outage I connected to DC which I noticed more congestion and I went though two Level 3 hops. That lasted a week and now since then every one of my streaming devices connect me to Netflix CDN in Atlanta and I go through three Level 3 hops. I tried everything to get a new IP address so it would connect me to the Netflix CDN in NYC but nothing worked.

Also I have been switching over and watching Amazon Instant on my Fire TV when it approaches 9 PM EST which I have no issues watching anything. I even watched a movie on there instead of on Netflix because I wanted to see the entire movie in HD and I had no issues streaming it.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
post #98 of 101 Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
 
size14d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Well as you can see with all the complaining I am doing on the Netflix Stream Quality thread I been having issues with Level 3. I can stream fine now no problems on any one of my six devices but after 7 PM EST congestion starts in then after 9 PM EST I start to get SD dropouts. I can get HD to play but then it drops down to SD and then ramps up to HD but usually only up there cruddy 720p. For the past couple of months after I had a 4 hour internet outage at 1 AM EST that caused my IP address to change I was always connecting to Netflix CDN in NYC where I only went though one Level 3 hop. Then after the outage I connected to DC which I noticed more congestion and I went though two Level 3 hops. That lasted a week and now since then every one of my streaming devices connect me to Netflix CDN in Atlanta and I go through three Level 3 hops. I tried everything to get a new IP address so it would connect me to the Netflix CDN in NYC but nothing worked.

Also I have been switching over and watching Amazon Instant on my Fire TV when it approaches 9 PM EST which I have no issues watching anything. I even watched a movie on there instead of on Netflix because I wanted to see the entire movie in HD and I had no issues streaming it.

So this isn't you?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/18/59...ngestion-speed
size14d is offline  
post #99 of 101 Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Interesting, just about all of this is due to deregulation. You know, the concept that many here seem to support except when it hurts them.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is online now  
post #100 of 101 Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Well I use to blame Netflix for congestion issues but now I blame Level3 all the way. If you have been following my post you can see that since Friday of last week I no longer go though Level3 but now I have a direct connection though TWC. I still connect to the same CDN in Atlanta but streaming in the evenings on my ATV3 of all things I get the same performance I get during the day. Right away it starts up in HD and stays there with no 720p or 480p dropouts. Same CDN but no Level3. So who is to blame? You guess.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
post #101 of 101 Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Well I use to blame Netflix for congestion issues but now I blame Level3 all the way. If you have been following my post you can see that since Friday of last week I no longer go though Level3 but now I have a direct connection though TWC. I still connect to the same CDN in Atlanta but streaming in the evenings on my ATV3 of all things I get the same performance I get during the day. Right away it starts up in HD and stays there with no 720p or 480p dropouts. Same CDN but no Level3. So who is to blame? You guess.
I'm not sure you can make any judgement at all about who was to blame. Just because you're bypassing Level 3 and going directly through TWC, doesn't mean TWC wasn't the one throttling the connection.

If I go over a big hill every day and my car barely makes it, it's an easy call to blame the hill. After all, when I don't go over the hill, the car accelerates fine.

The problem is, I may be missing the fact that some guy has been stuffing a potato in my tailpipe at the traffic light at the bottom of the hill every day and going another way that doesn't involve the hill avoids that guy.
NetworkTV is offline  
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off