Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #301 of 308 Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I saw a great post elsewhere recently. It said that in the 1990s everyone were speculating what all the wondrous new things the new millennium would bring. It turned out to be a bunch of freakin phones.
olyteddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 308 Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
iPhone6 might be too little too late: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/up...ne-really.html
If the Amazon phone out sells the iPhone in 2014 I will literally give away my house.

That phone will flop big time. Why on earth would anyone pay $199 for that gimmick of a phone when the iPhone6 will be the same price?

Lets be real. Amazon is struggling selling Kindle Fire tablets for $99. Now they think they can complete with the iPhone at the same price? Even at $99 the Fire tablets are being outsold 10 to 1 to the iPad. If the Kindle Fire Tablet was the same price as the iPad they would literally sell a few thousand. Lets face it. Amazon hardware is for people on food stamps. I estimate they will sell less than 5 million of these joke phones in 2014.

And did I mention the pathetic Amazon App store? The thing is a joke. I know. I owned a Kindle fire for 2 years. I can't give even give it away to my nephew who laughted when I said if he wanted it for free. Again look at the pathetic app situation.

Some of the other extremely popular Android/iOS apps that are simply not available:
  • Maps
  • Voice
  • YouTube
  • Hangouts
  • Chrome
  • Timely
  • Sunrise
  • Keep
  • Adsense
  • Analytics
  • Translate
  • LINE
  • Facebook Messenger
  • Simple
  • Capital One

Last edited by warrior1994; 06-19-2014 at 06:50 AM.
post #303 of 308 Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post
I saw a great post elsewhere recently. It said that in the 1990s everyone were speculating what all the wondrous new things the new millennium would bring. It turned out to be a bunch of freakin phones.
its not a phone. Its a computing device that also makes phone calls.

That's why I own AAPL stock. The computing device will NEVER be out of date. There will always be a new form factor: mainframe > PC > laptop > smartphone > tablet > wearables?

We will always be making computing devices smaller and faster and closer to our brain.
post #304 of 308 Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1994 View Post
Amazon hardware is for people on food stamps.
Not too elitist, at least by Apple standards.

Quote:
its not a phone. Its a computing device that also makes phone calls.
Hmmm, wonder if that's why WinMo devices (long before iOS) were called Pocket PCs.

Quote:
And did I mention the pathetic Amazon App store? The thing is a joke. I know. I owned a Kindle fire for 2 years. I can't give even give it away to my nephew who laughted when I said if he wanted it for free. Again look at the pathetic app situation.
It's pretty easy to sideload Gapps which gives access to the Google Play store. Rooting (and unrooting) is also fairly easy. I know, why should one have to do that? I just want it to work!

Last edited by TVOD; 06-19-2014 at 09:11 AM.
post #305 of 308 Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post
Not too elitist, at least by Apple standards.

Hmmm, wonder if that's why WinMo devices (long before iOS) were called Pocket PCs.

It's pretty easy to sideload Gapps which gives access to the Google Play store. Rooting (and unrooting) is also fairly easy. I know, why should one have to do that? I just want it to work!
I'm not elitist at all. If you notice I said I owned a Kindle Fire in the past. Amazon hardware is for people who are willing to sacrifice quality for a cheap price. That was my reasoning for buying the first Kindle. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. But now Amazon is expecting people to buy their phone for the same price as the iPhone6? Good luck.

Side loading and rooting is dangerous. You can easily expose your device to malware and void your warranty. I know friends who tried to root their Samsung phone and it bricked. Most people dont want to deal with that BS and just want something that works. Thats why Apple is so sucessful.
post #306 of 308 Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But now Amazon is expecting people to buy their phone for the same price as the iPhone6? Good luck.
Yeah, agree with that. Doesn't appeal to me much, but maybe for some that buy EVERYTHING from Amazon.

Quote:
Side loading and rooting is dangerous. You can easily expose your device to malware and void your warranty. I know friends who tried to root their Samsung phone and it bricked. Most people dont want to deal with that BS and just want something that works. Thats why Apple is so sucessful.
One needs caution on Samsung devices as they come in various hardware flavors for the different carriers and regions. The Knox flag is an issue. But I’ll agree, the simplicity of the iOS products is appealing, though now I see little difference in comparison with the ease on other platforms with the exception that it is much easier to gain SU access on Android. Apple’s discriminating acceptance practices for its App Store is more secure than other platforms, but the apps with the highest security concerns are likely of the novelty variety. Sideloading from reputable sources minimizes risk, and doing a search on an app can show whether it has ulterior motives. Besides, it’s still the model for desktops.

As an owner of AAPL I only hope that the company does come up with some homeruns. I think the fall product refresh should do well. Apple’s acquisition of LuxVue Technology is very interesting and perhaps an indication of the technology for the rumored iWatch. But much of it feels like catch up with the rumored 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens. 64 bit Android is coming on both ARM and Intel, though it remains to be seen if having two hardware platforms will fragment the OS.

For me the promise of Intel’s next mobile processors is exciting. Already there are very capable and inexpensive Win 8.1 tablets, and the next generation should be fully compatible with 64 bit desktop OSes. I doubt such devices will be as successful as the iPads, but for more sophisticated users they are much more useable, especially considering they can also run Android as a virtual OS and perhaps in the near future boot natively. Maybe OSX too.
post #307 of 308 Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I dont agree with this view“iPhone6 might be too little too late”
post #308 of 308 Old 11-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If anything I love the fact that Apple buying Beats drove Bose out of the Apple stores! But in the end for me it doesn't matter because I honestly do not see anything in the Beats by Dre headphones and I especially can not stand Bose. Two brands I do not see myself ever owning!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Reply Latest Industry News