Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 3066

Will Apple bite and buy Beats, the famous headphone maker with its own streaming music service? That's the word on the street, although it's still a rumor. According to recent reports, Apple seeks to acquire Beats for $3.2 billion.

Image from Gizmodo.com

The story—reported by the Financial Times—remains unconfirmed. Apple has a long history of keeping its plans a secret. On the other hand, Apple is mostly responsible for the popularity of portable music, and Beats headphones is a juggernaut that owes its very existence to that trend. Purchasing a headphones manufacturer makes some sense for Apple, since it can start making money from customers who upgrade their headphones from Apple's current, poorly rated earbuds.

Quote:
"While Beats commands a leading position in the premium headphone market, its real value to Apple is in revitalising its “cool” at a time when iTunes has waned in popularity and Samsung’s marketing campaigns have savaged the iPhone’s brand." - read more at Financial Times

While Beats is most famous for its pricey and flashy headphones, the company also has a streaming music service, beatsmusic.com. Whether Apple viewed Beats Music as competition may not every be known; however, if the acquisition goes through it will give Apple another platform from which it can continue to dominate online delivery of music.

This Apple rumor piqued my curiosity, how about yours? Beats are a polarizing brand. Many audiophiles recoil at the bass-heavy sound profile—the brand's calling card. Even so, Beats is a juggernaut that gets credit for putting a focus on sound quality, and getting people to pay extra for it.

Quote:
"Apple's digital music juggernaut has been slowing down recently, and the company is rumoredto be weighing an on-demand streaming music service. In that sense, the deal would make sense. But the deal would also supposedly give Cupertino control over an empire built on plastic headphones, which conceptually might not meld with its elegant glass and aluminum aesthetic." read more at Gizmodo

Is this rumored acquisition good for Apple? Can Apple provide legitimacy to the Beats brand? Would you buy a pair of Apple/Beats headphones?

Scott Wilkinson likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Well since beats is now controlling MOG.com. I would live it if Apple took that over!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #3 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Beats? Apple? Meh. :/

PC master-race and audiophiles unite!
post #4 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't think Apple can do much with Beats. Its a brand name but its not difficult to get into the business when you're a company like Apple. They have the engineering in-house, they have the money and they have the sourcing capabilities. If they acquire- its a build vs. buy scenario because Beats already convinced the market that their headphones are "decent" in sound quality. When I say decent- I mean there are far more superior headphones out there for sound quality. Shure, Etymotic, etc., the list goes on.... Beats is nowhere near those in sound quality but they have the marketing down.
post #5 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
sweet now we will have even more expensive crap headphones
post #6 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
If anyone can make Beats even remotely legit it's Apple. I laugh when I watch sports pregame shows and it shows these athletes showing up at the stadium that make more money than they could ever spend wearing the most expensive beats you can get. At this point they're nothing but a status symbol right now, anyone with any knowlege or interest in sound quality and sound resolution know much better can be had for the same price or less.

If Apple could keep them as a status symbol but make them truly worth their price tag (which I feel most Apple products are) they'll have hit paydirt.
StinDaWg, ATC7, Sporadik and 1 others like this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #7 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I thought Monster own Beats! I guess I'm wrong on that,

I wonder how much cash is Doctor Dre is looking to make on this deal, if it's true.

Djoel
post #8 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

If anyone can make Beats even remotely legit it's Apple. I laugh when I watch sports pregame shows and it shows these athletes showing up at the stadium that make more money than they could ever spend wearing the most expensive beats you can get. At this point they're nothing but a status symbol right now, anyone with any knowlege or interest in sound quality and sound resolution know much better can be had for the same price or less.

If Apple could keep them as a status symbol but make them truly worth their price tag (which I feel most Apple products are) they'll have hit paydirt.

Apple is a crap and evil company. Are you kidding me? iPhone users are the biggest suckers on the planet. Not only are they selling you an overpriced piece of crap- they are selling all your usage data and consumers are dumb enough to fall for it. GOOD FOR THEM! Consumers are inherently dumb and Apple capitalizes on it by 300%. The iPhone secret is that they make more money on it after they buy it than they do on the device itself. It doesn't make money until you turn it on- and I'm not talking about anything to do with iTunes. Go ahead and use any app that you can't delete off that phone- you just sold all your usage data to the highest bidder. Apple built a $1B data center in NC for a reason and it wasn't to give any consumer anything for free. People stand in line like idiots to give Apple money for a device that does nothing but gives them usage data and statistics for sale to the highest bidder. Apple is only capitalizing on ignorance.... but good for them. I'm a shareholder for a reason. wink.gif
post #9 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Sorry for getting you fired up dude, thanks for calling me an idiot for liking my iPhone.
ATC7 and repete66211 like this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3, PS2
post #10 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Sorry for getting you fired up dude, thanks for calling me an idiot for liking my iPhone.

LMAO. Nothing personal. I do like the iPhone's simplicity, design, and smoothness.

But I feel that I can do a lot more with my Android devices for half the price. And I got to pick new devices from multiple manufacturers every year or so tongue.gif

I am an Android user for years, I guess I must not be an idiot. biggrin.gif

But to stay on topic. Beats=Bose, IMHO.

I'll get a Sennheiser before I get a Beats.
post #11 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 PM

I started off with an iPod touch when I still had a dumb phone, the I got my first smart phone a Droid X2, I didn't mind it, but after having used my iPod so much for so long I found the Droid to be cumbersome, not to mention physically huge, although the larger screen made it a little easier to txt. I upgraded to a 5s in October, (didn't stand in line for a second) and haven't looked back. I have other Apple stuff not to mention a receiver w/ Airplay and everything plays nice. I know a lot of people like Android stuff and what ever to each his own there were certain things about my droid I liked but not enough to get another one. Sorry for being an iSheep.

P.S. I'd take a pair of Bose headphones over a pair of beats any day of the week.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3, PS2
post #12 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I'm an idiot too! I have two of them tongue.gif
post #13 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

LMAO. Nothing personal. I do like the iPhone's simplicity, design, and smoothness.

But I feel that I can do a lot more with my Android devices for half the price. And I got to pick new devices from multiple manufacturers every year or so tongue.gif

You think Google is different? Go ahead and use Google Maps. Have you ever wondered how they collect traffic data to overlay on Maps? How about where all those ads come from in those "free" apps?

All of us are for sale! biggrin.gif
Goalline, kma100 and TorTorden like this.
post #14 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 270
beats is obviously pure nonsense compared to any number of better headphone brands... If Apple is really buying a useless headphone and music streaming company for that much money then they have lost their mind. There is NOTHING beats has that apple can't do better in a heartbeat. Beats may be worth a billion at best best on investments and valuation.

I want to see Apple do some things:

1. fix mistakes in Itunes such as the lack of music library pre-caching.
2. fix the lack of multi-genre tagging and multi-artist tagging.
3. perfect the itunes ipad experience
4. fix smartlists on the ipod/ipad/iphone so that they actually work (most of the time they are broken unless you haven't noticed). Only someone retarded would break this so bad and not fix it for a DECADE.
5. massive increase in music/movies from around the world.
6. upgrade as much of the file collection to full resolution, non-lossy audio (cd quality at the very least). At least provide the option for the best format possible.
7. improve the convoluted file system.
8. improve the tagging standards
9. the itunes name implies music... what is with all the other crap in it, including the iDevice syncing. change the name to reflect the software or separate the functions into separate apps.
10. make the downloaded music collection inheritable by your family if you die.
11. make a 200gb+ ipod touch and ipad so more people can fit a bigger lossless collection.
12. allow editing tags on the ipad which will save in your itunes library.
13. save ratings in tags so they aren't lost so easily

If I ran Apple's itunes division, you would have the perfect audio system within 6 months, the folks at Itunes are asleep at the wheel.
Itunes software is officially run by morons at this point and they should be fired.

disclosure: I have a lot of Apple stock.

Blazar!
post #15 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306 View Post

You think Google is different? Go ahead and use Google Maps. Have you ever wondered how they collect traffic data to overlay on Maps? How about where all those ads come from in those "free" apps?

All of us are for sale! biggrin.gif

There are ways to get around that wink.gif

First thing any advance Android users do is unlock their device, activate Super user mode, and flash a custom ROM.

But that's another topic for another thread.
post #16 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I hope not - frankly if Apple's going to spend money to buy an audio company, they should go after Bang & Olufsen or Bose, because those firms have serious engineering talent regardless of what one thinks of their products - but I do think it's interesting that Apple's very, very good entry into the high-quality headphone market - the "In Ear Monitor with Remote and Mike," commonly called the "ADDIEM" (Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Monitor) both undercuts rival products on cost (only $80, or ~120USD if you forget to take yours on a flight and have to buy a replacement set at the Dubai airport...) and performs IMO equal to or better than any other IEM. It's also ergonomically superior to most of the competition, with cleanable metal filters and a narrow body that works well in small ears. Tyll measured one of my two pairs at innerfidelity.com, and they measured exactly how they sound to me. (That's always a gratifying feeling.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #17 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 963
seems like a logical move for apple at first glance. buy something easily marketable that you can claim is 'high end' and overcharge for just because it's built solid.

but I'm starting to wonder if beats has much time left really. I'm already hearing a lot of high school students bash on beats for being overpriced pieces of garbage. if high school kids have already figured this out, and aren't buying beats anymore, then who the heck is?

the problem with basing a product on being cool, is that anything that was cool yesterday, won't be cool tomorrow. that's just how it works. once the 'uncool' ppl start doing it, it'll no longer be cool. now that some of these high school kids that bought 300 beats studios are the weird, socially-awkward university student that still hangs around his old high school... it's not so cool.

beats isn't really worth anything beyond it's name. so it wouldn't make sense for apple to buy beats to re-label them. and I'm not sure it makes sense to buy beats and keep their name anymore either. but then again, marketing beats to a loyal apple fan base might just be the trick to making them 'cool' again for a whole new market

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #18 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I think the difference between beats and bose is that bose actually has decent processing. their noise cancellation is among the best available.

but I would agree that they are both made cheaply, and rely on marketing rather than performance, to drive prices up. in some cases bose's processing can compensate for cheaper materials, but why buy a 300dollar bandaid when you can get something not broken for 200.
I have a pair of $30 JVC HAS700's that are practically an exact clone of the bose AE2. in many ways I like the jvc more actually. but I did also get a pair of bose's noise cancellation headphones, and while they have no benefit in sound quality, they are amazingly quiet and pretty darn comfy. sennheiser is good, but they make garbage too. I tried a cheaper pair, HD232(I think?) and they were both very uncomfortable and mediocre for sound. while the jvc's may have been more bass-heavy, they are also way more clear, and spacious sounding. the senn's I tried were average by every sense, except they cost 60bux(cheap for quality headphones, but clearly they were not quality and therefore not a value compared to the competition).

post #19 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

If I ran Apple's itunes division, you would have the perfect audio system within 6 months, the folks at Itunes are asleep at the wheel.
Itunes software is officially run by morons at this point and they should be fired.

disclosure: I have a lot of Apple stock.

Six months? Have you worked on a software project before?
ATC7, kma100 and mo949 like this.
post #20 of 308 Old 05-08-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

Quote:

Apple is a crap and evil company. Are you kidding me? iPhone users are the biggest suckers on the planet. Not only are they selling you an overpriced piece of crap- they are selling all your usage data and consumers are dumb enough to fall for it. GOOD FOR THEM! Consumers are inherently dumb and Apple capitalizes on it by 300%. The iPhone secret is that they make more money on it after they buy it than they do on the device itself. It doesn't make money until you turn it on- and I'm not talking about anything to do with iTunes. Go ahead and use any app that you can't delete off that phone- you just sold all your usage data to the highest bidder. Apple built a $1B data center in NC for a reason and it wasn't to give any consumer anything for free. People stand in line like idiots to give Apple money for a device that does nothing but gives them usage data and statistics for sale to the highest bidder. Apple is only capitalizing on ignorance.... but good for them. I'm a shareholder for a reason. wink.gif
They do make decent Kool-Aid...Look how many FanBois lap it up!
post #21 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 270
By that paranoid description of apple, you could say the same thing about the government, schools, your parents, network television, and every other influence in your life... Who doesn't have secondary gain?

Blazar!
post #22 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yeah, monster created the beats headphones and dr dre promoted them. but monster was stupid and gave dre 51% ownership of beats and the rights to all the patents. Then of course, dre bought out the rest of the ownership out from under monster and partnered with another electronics company. monster is left out in the cold.

I used to work for monster, and i tried out some of the beats earbuds. they sounded fantastic. i want a pair, they are just too expensive. granted i've never heard a really good pair of headphones (always had cheapy sonys) but the detail i heard from those beats earbuds was astounding. i would like to audition high end headphones from other companies some day to see if the beats are actually crappy like so many claim or if people are just talking outta their butts.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #23 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Really doesn't matter to me if Apple buys Beats. Beats appeals to youth and bass heads. In my neck of the woods, almost all the headsets on people out in public are Beats or Apple's own earpods/buds. Apple is not about quality but about money. As an Apple user, I find they have reach a new level of profit and ridiculousness in claiming to be forward thinking and cutting edge. Though I have an iPhone, I believe my next phone will be the S Korean counterpart of wickedness - Samsung.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #24 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Buying beats now is a waist of time.. Their popularity is kinda going down. Plus, the Chinese made fake Beats are saturating the market..
StinDaWg and Djoel like this.
post #25 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 AM

The real beats are probably made in China anyway.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3, PS2
post #26 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
No, it's not a good idea.
post #27 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 3066

CNET linked to a video that appears to confirm the deal is done...

'First billionaire in hip-hop' Dre boasts of Apple Beats deal on Facebook

NSFW

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #28 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If they do already falls on the overpriced things that APPLE already have , it's a niche of the market . The Beats Pro are not bad and if ppl are in the Rap/R&B style of music they will love it but if you are on to Pink Floyd you will ditch it after 5 seconds .

It's a good move from APPLE with that amount of money ??? Only time will tell .
post #29 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Yeah, monster created the beats headphones and dr dre promoted them. but monster was stupid and gave dre 51% ownership of beats and the rights to all the patents. Then of course, dre bought out the rest of the ownership out from under monster and partnered with another electronics company. monster is left out in the cold.

I used to work for monster, and i tried out some of the beats earbuds. they sounded fantastic. i want a pair, they are just too expensive. granted i've never heard a really good pair of headphones (always had cheapy sonys) but the detail i heard from those beats earbuds was astounding. i would like to audition high end headphones from other companies some day to see if the beats are actually crappy like so many claim or if people are just talking outta their butts.

I don't know, now that monster is out on its own, the headphone gurus are actually impressed with the sound quality of some of their products. I think the only thing that impressed audiophiles from beats were the copper pro earbuds, but ONLY if you picked them up on there 50% off sale prices

and I think you really made a good point. beats sound great compared to the stuff that comes packaged with products. and because of the price, ppl who don't know any better assume that must be as good as it gets. but the reality is that they compare to some less expensive models from more reputable brands. and something in the same price range from grado, akj, audio technica, etc can provide even better sound.

the only ppl that will say beats sound like crap, are the ppl USED to spending 200-300bux on headphones. for the ppl used to spending 20-30bux, they sound great, but are expensive. for the ppl that buy 50-100 headphones, they are just overpriced.

for what it's worth, I actually also really like the sound the solo HD's, but I'd rather spend less money and grab some M50's from audio technica instead or if I need the smaller form something like the 181's from akj make more sense

post #30 of 308 Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

CNET linked to a video that appears to confirm the deal is done...

'First billionaire in hip-hop' Dre boasts of Apple Beats deal on Facebook

NSFW

guys like that have a billion dollars, while doctors are paying off their student debt until they're mid 30's...
StinDaWg likes this.

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page