Sony Backs Off on OLED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 807

The Nikkei Asian Review website seems to have a nose for bad OLED news. Last week, it reported that Samsung has "hit the pause button" on OLED research, which I reported here. Yesterday, the Asian business site reported that Sony is also putting its OLED plans on hold in favor of 4K/UHD LED-LCD TVs.

This is another disappointment for video enthusiasts like most AVS members, but it's not surprising. After all, the total worldwide market for OLED TVs in 2013 was a mere 4400 sets according to NPD DisplaySearch, a leading market-research firm. By contrast, UHDTVs are going gangbusters, and prices are falling faster than they did in the early days of HDTV.

According to the Nikkei report, Sony enjoys an industry-leading share of the global UHDTV market, which could help put the company's TV business in the black for the first time in 11 years. This year, the company will release eight models of UHDTVs, more than double the number from last year, constituting around 40-50% of Sony's total large-screen TV lineup, compared with 10-20% last year.

Still, times are tough for Sony's TV business. The company plans to cut labor costs for all consumer-electronics products by 20%. Those who survive from the OLED project will be reassigned to other divisions, especially UHDTVs.

Sony has been making OLED broadcast monitors for years—I took this shot of the BVM-E250 25-incher at NAB 2011.

When I asked my American contact at Sony for a comment on this story, this is what I received:

"Sony has made no announcement in this regard. Sony continues developing and looking into reliable ways to mass produce OLED displays for consumers while continuing to build experience via providing OLED displays for professional, medical and broadcast use. "

Interesting—the Nikkei report does not cite any source for its information, but I seriously doubt it would make up such a story. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

JoeHZ and austra 1 like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 229
"Sony has made no announcement in this regard. Sony continues developing and looking into reliable ways to mass produce OLED displays for consumers while continuing to build experience via providing OLED displays for professional, medical and broadcast use. "

With that comment coming from your source Scott I am hoping OLED stay's on track for Sony. And Nikkei does not supply a source for this info it posted? Something's smells fishy to me but like you said I guess we will wait and see what happens next. "IF" Sony does get into the OLED market then there is no question its my next HDTV.
post #3 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Sony is weighing the cost vs. benefits. You have the Walkman/iPod generations that have grown used to convienence vs. quality and the costs to R&D then ramp up manufacturering and they look at potential sales and they don't see it. Honestly I don't see it either. I love quality, but most people will take the huge bright inexpensive TV that looks fine to them in a Bright store vs. the more expensive TV. It costs the manufacturers far less to incrementally improve an existing technology usually than to ramp up a new one. Add into that the Chinese pumping out even cheaper sets and I can fully understand Sony, but do not like it.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
OLED dying a slow death.......where is my plasma folkes
post #5 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Doesn't Samsung manufacturer a lot of the panels that Sony uses in its televisions? And Sony's alliance with Panasonic to develop OLED jointly fizzled out.

This all adds up pretty well. Without Samsung they just aren't capable of getting a big screen OLED out to the market soon.
post #6 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The info in the article backs up the claim. If Sony is leading in UHDTV sales, it makes sense to keep OLED out of the market at the moment. They would only steal sales and have lower profit margins. Sony would lose money.

It will take a drop in LCD sales and/or a company needing to get OLED out to compete to get the tech going.

Sammy and Sony won't do it as long as LCD is making them the profits they need and consumers aren't really demanding it. Most people were happy with LCD over plasma. Why should OLED be any different?
David Susilo and mo949 like this.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #7 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Dropping OLED from the Vita was the first warning sign. Most people upgrading to the Vita 2000 also claim that the new LCD screen is sharper and more accurate.

The burn in issues I've had with my Galaxy phones is the reason I stopped following OLED, I left Plasma for that reason and I didn't want to deal with it on another TV.
David Susilo and JoeHZ like this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #8 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 642

I'm glad we're on top of all of this, but seriously: I want to see an honest to God press release before I buy into any of this.

tenthplanet and steve1971 like this.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #9 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I'm glad we're on top of all of this, but seriously: I want to see an honest to God press release before I buy into any of this.

I agree.
post #10 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39

Wow.  Not sure what I'm going to replace my 7 YO Kuro with?!  I wasn't going to buy and store a ZT till my Kuro died.  Samsung killed their new 2014 plasma model so that's not an option.  Sony seems pretty dedicated to OLED for broadcast pros.  I hope Sony sticks with OLED at least for broadcast, then it can trickle into the consumer market.

Sony broadcast monitors are available now, no special order.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?sts=ma&ci=1972&N=4294203106&Ntt=oled

Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #11 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Sony was our last hope...

No... There is another.
JoeHZ, ToonMasterTim and zencarver like this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #12 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I don't know what I would buy if something happened to my 151. Especially seeing that A few companies like Samsung and Sony are putting OLED on the back burner for now. I'd like to see more info and price on Vizio's new reference TV if that's too high maybe a projector. But my 151 has about 300 hours on it so hopefully I won't have to worry about that for A few years
post #13 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 160
FED,SED, and now this!!!!! THIS IS HORRIBLE! eek.gif

DJoel
post #14 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I never remember FED or SED TVs being available for $4k much less available at all. cool.gif
post #15 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

No... There is another.

Another there is?

Life's good!
vinnie97 likes this.
post #16 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Dropping OLED from the Vita was the first warning sign. Most people upgrading to the Vita 2000 also claim that the new LCD screen is sharper and more accurate.

The burn in issues I've had with my Galaxy phones is the reason I stopped following OLED, I left Plasma for that reason and I didn't want to deal with it on another TV.

Agree with you, from what I've researched OLED has a serious burn in problem.
I don't think we'll see a viable OLED in the next couple of years and maybe never.
But, next tech is always around the corner.

post #17 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 697
I sure hope this is happening because oled isn't economical YET, and companies are waiting for a successful manufacturing plant to bring down the panel costs. or it's in response to something better coming down the pipe that hasn't quite hit our radar yet.

I really, really, really hope that this has NOTHING to do with anything happening on the LCD front. if the market is what I think it is, the lack of OLED sales has nothing to do with LCD or UHD, and only that plasma still offers a compelling value.

when plasma is fully, and completely dead, I will definitely be willing to pay ridiculous premiums for any technology that isn't edgelit LED based... I'm just not convinced that I should spend 1000bux more for an OLED that's 9" inches smaller, considering I already don't do any serious viewing on the 'small' 64" screen because my projector handles my movie needs.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #18 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

The info in the article backs up the claim. If Sony is leading in UHDTV sales, it makes sense to keep OLED out of the market at the moment. They would only steal sales and have lower profit margins. Sony would lose money.

It will take a drop in LCD sales and/or a company needing to get OLED out to compete to get the tech going.

Sammy and Sony won't do it as long as LCD is making them the profits they need and consumers aren't really demanding it. Most people were happy with LCD over plasma. Why should OLED be any different?

the optimist in me hopes this is LG's chance then.

they've been pretty mid-market in lcd for a while, I think, and decidedly 'last place' in plasma sales since all the no-name brands abandoned the market. not to say they've made terrible products by any means, but they've never really been that brand your aunt heard was the best...

if lg can make an honest go of the oled, and keep prices reasonable, I don't see how anything LCD based can be of serious competition, and the only competition from plasma could very soon only be themselves, so that's an easy fix.

basically, lg's in a position to not only be the leading OLED manufacturer, they could literally run away with the 'best tv' for at least a few years until other's make a serious attempt at oled, or something vastly improved from todays edgelit LED offerings. something like a 1000+ zone FALD set MIGHT be able to compete

anyway, for the time being, I'm sitting in LG's corner and cheering them on. if they were making some 40" oleds for 2grand or so, I'd probably find a way to justify it just to help prove oled is worth developing
StinDaWg likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #19 of 90 Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #20 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
UHD/4K will certainly come faster (a lot faster) than OLED, but they need something to sell-up. I don't see how their business can survive by having products that cost less and less, unless you have a monopoly and your volume keep increasing, which is certainly not the case for any TV manufacturer. So, I do have hopes that OLED will some day become more accessible (and flat, not curve smile.gif).
post #21 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Plasma out.
OLED out.

I guess mediocrity with 4k convolutions is en vogue. Oh well.
post #22 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Agreed. Let's hear directly from Sony.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #23 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Sony reported a big loss for the last quarter. I think this is the 6th quarter in a row of losses. They have no choice but to get rid of everything that doesn't make money.
rcapprotti likes this.
post #24 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

No... There is another.

Another there is?

Life's good!

Good, life is.  The GL company.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #25 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Plasma out.
OLED out.

.......Exactly how did this entire conversation morph into OLED being "out" ?????

Good grief.....

StinDaWg likes this.

post #26 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Plasma out.

OLED out.

.......Exactly how did this entire conversation morph into OLED being "out" ?????

Good grief.....

That's what I also wanted to know as well tgm?
post #27 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

they've been pretty mid-market in lcd for a while, I think, and decidedly 'last place' in plasma sales since all the no-name brands abandoned the market. not to say they've made terrible products by any means, but they've never really been that brand your aunt heard was the best...

if lg can make an honest go of the oled, and keep prices reasonable, I don't see how anything LCD based can be of serious competition, and the only competition from plasma could very soon only be themselves, so that's an easy fix.

basically, lg's in a position to not only be the leading OLED manufacturer, they could literally run away with the 'best tv' for at least a few years until other's make a serious attempt at oled, or something vastly improved from todays edgelit LED offerings. something like a 1000+ zone FALD set MIGHT be able to compete

anyway, for the time being, I'm sitting in LG's corner and cheering them on. if they were making some 40" oleds for 2grand or so, I'd probably find a way to justify it just to help prove oled is worth developing

Its pretty lonely there. Can i send you pizza and a 6 pack?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #28 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

Its pretty lonely there. Can i send you pizza and a 6 pack?

Hey Mark I will take a large Pepperoni and Sausage with a 6 pack of Miller Genuine Draft! lol biggrin.gif
StinDaWg and rcapprotti like this.
post #29 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I sure hope my Plasmas are built to last a while. Please, please don't die on me now...
Phrehdd, ToonMasterTim and dnoonie like this.
post #30 of 90 Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
This sounds good to me. I would rather they focus their effort on 4K than OLED. I'll take a 4K/UHD set over a 1080P OLED set any day. At the rate OLED was going, it was going to be cost prohibitive for a very, very long time. I decent size OLED set, like 80", would cost several arms and legs. I would rather they use their efforts to keep improving the 4k LCD sets while also quickly decreasing the cost.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page